Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Latest mock draft from cbs sports.....BP has moved into the lottery.

Started by k.c.hawg, April 08, 2015, 01:04:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

k.c.hawg

Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Paul

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

k.c.hawg

He could still fall in that 15-20 range.....was projected 17th in the earlier version of this mock draft about a month ago. But if there are some whispers that he "could" go as high as 11th and the floor is around 20th, that would be damn hard to say no to. Last years 11th got $4.6 m guaranteed and if the 2 option years are picked up it will run around $10.5 m.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Paul on April 08, 2015, 03:19:48 pm
Wow!  He's probably gotta go

Because some writer for CBS has him in the lottery?

The reality is that it's way too early to truly know where someone like Portis will go because we don't know who is in or out of the draft, and he hasn't done any workouts. The guys at the top of the draft won't have to really work out. Portis will. He'll have to sell himself. Portis has probably been told he's a mid-to-late first round pick with a chance to move into the lottery with great workouts. That's a wide range.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 08, 2015, 03:43:33 pm

The reality is that it's way too early to truly know where someone like Portis will go because we don't know who is in or out of the draft, and he hasn't done any workouts. The guys at the top of the draft won't have to really work out. Portis will. He'll have to sell himself. Portis has probably been told he's a mid-to-late first round pick with a chance to move into the lottery with great workouts. That's a wide range.

No, probably hasn't been told anything like that. More like late lottery to mid-first. That is much closer to consensus. And sorry, but Portis does not get to wait to make up his mind.
[CENSORED]!

popcornhog

Quote from: k.c.hawg on April 08, 2015, 01:04:45 pm
They have him going #11 to the Pacers.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/mock-draft/expert/sam-vecenie

Next year the Pacers will be contenders, too.

That would be the best possible outcome for Portis -- lottery plus contending for a title. Damn.
WPS

Hawg Red

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 08, 2015, 05:22:10 pm
No, probably hasn't been told anything like that. More like late lottery to mid-first. That is much closer to consensus. And sorry, but Portis does not get to wait to make up his mind.

Did I say he needed to wait?

And the consensus is that he is not a lottery pick. Mid (teens outside lottery) to late (20s) first round is the consensus. This is the only person I've seen of late projecting Bobby as a lottery pick. This guy's co-worker (Zach Harper) at CBS Sports has Portis at #23. That's a 12-spot difference. Again, wide range. I said he could be a lottery pick with great workouts, and that's what I'd think it would take.

Arkansas WR

This has him going before Frank Kaminsky. Also the next best PF after Towns.

TheRazorbackGuy

Don't want be a jerk but I would rather play basketball in a big city like Denver or Philadelphia than play in Fayetteville. And this is coming from a Razorback fan

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 08, 2015, 06:45:00 pm
Don't want be a jerk but I would rather play basketball in a big city like Denver or Philadelphia than play in Fayetteville. And this is coming from a Razorback fan

Have you ever been to Philly?

LOL!

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on April 08, 2015, 06:49:57 pm
Have you ever been to Philly?

LOL!

No but getting millions would make it more interesting.
I live in Denver and it's 50x better than Fayetteville and I'm an Arkansas alum

GatorHog

Go look up the LinkedIn Profile of Sam Vecenie.  Wanna trust that?

Hawg Red

Okay? Why are you telling me this?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 08, 2015, 06:56:13 pm
I live in Fayetteville and I wouldn't live in Denver for triple the salary I'm getting right now. What does any of this have to do with Portis and his decision? I'm not him and neither are you.

TejasPete

For $4 million I'd live in Baltimore's Blue Light District.

Breems

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 08, 2015, 07:25:34 pm
Okay? Why are you telling me this?

Because he rambles incoherently, frequently about stuff completely irrelevant to the conversation at hand.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: GatorHog on April 08, 2015, 07:08:21 pm
Go look up the LinkedIn Profile of Sam Vecenie.  Wanna trust that?

Wow. He has almost no relevant experience.
[CENSORED]!

Athog

Well let's not make it seem he should not take the jump. It is a lot of money and maybe the best move for him. I hope he returns but that is his decision.

Hawg Red

In no way did I suggest he shouldn't make the jump. You don't have to be a lottery pick for it to be a good decision to go pro. But there was a poster that said Bobby's "probably gotta go" because some writer had him as a lottery pick, when, in reality, that guy's opinion is maybe slightly more informed than your average tuned-in fan.

Paul

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 08, 2015, 09:03:58 pm
In no way did I suggest he shouldn't make the jump. You don't have to be a lottery pick for it to be a good decision to go pro. But there was a poster that said Bobby's "probably gotta go" because some writer had him as a lottery pick, when, in reality, that guy's opinion is maybe slightly more informed than your average tuned-in fan.
. More informed than your opinion I'd bet

(notOM)Rebel123

Millions? Maybe 2. Take out taxes & agents fees and it gets whittled down pretty fast. Been to Denver multiple times. It's lovely. But nowhere near 50x better than NWA.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hawg Red

Quote from: Paul on April 08, 2015, 09:53:30 pm
. More informed than your opinion I'd bet

Maybe. Maybe not. But that's also not setting the bar too high, is it? Because, like I said, he's opinion is probably slightly more informed than the average tuned-in fan. I'd say I'm a tuned-in fan having seen every single one of Portis' games in college and being a follower of the NBA, particularly the NBA draft.

I think Bobby goes closer to the 20th pick. We'll see who's right, I guess. I'm only saying this guy having him #11 in a mock draft almost 3 months before the draft doesn't mean he needs gotta go. There are plenty of other reason that would suggest he had to go, though. This just isn't one of them.

dhornjr1

NBA Draft Express still has Portis going 18th overall. But now with the shakeup in the Western Conference standings, New Orleans has the 18th pick, which would go to Houston.

Portis would be in a great position in Houston with Harden, Howard and Beverley. And with a big man like Kevin McHale as his coach?

Fuhgeddaboudit...

Hawg Red

I'm all for Portis going to my Rockets. And they've been known to go for Razorbacks. Fortson, Beverley, BJ Young..

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 08, 2015, 11:28:13 pm
I'm all for Portis going to my Rockets. And they've been known to go for Razorbacks. Fortson, Beverley, BJ Young..

If Portis is ready he needs to leave. You go to college to get a career and if that career comes early then you take that opportunity.

Randy Johnson

This comment would make you a fan of somebody but not the hogs.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: RazorWorld on April 09, 2015, 01:53:20 am
This comment would make you a fan of somebody but not the hogs.

Im not a fan bcuz I think a kid should persue his dream and play against the best players on the planet and make millions?   Your just being a blind homer. 1s t round picks generally make over a million a year and play in large cities. Why risk your career to play for free? Those insurance policies on players don't give you as much as you think if you get injured.

Biggus Piggus

I would hate playing in Denver - altitude. And Philly, close to the last place on earth I would go.
[CENSORED]!

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 09, 2015, 12:19:39 pm
I would hate playing in Denver - altitude. And Philly, close to the last place on earth I would go.

But once you get accustomed to the altitude it becomes your best friend, at home and away. 

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Adam Stokes on April 09, 2015, 12:46:14 pm
But once you get accustomed to the altitude it becomes your best friend, at home and away. 

The altitude isn't that big of a deal. I walk 4 to 5 miles around downtown Denver everyday . the climate is also more dry where 35 here isn't as cold as 35 in Fayetteville. That being said BP must do what's best for him. I wouldn't turned down millions, but that's me

TrueBlue

Slamming Fayetteville? Not cool. Alum or not. Saying crap like that does nothing to help the program.

I defend Fayetteville just like I do all parts of Arkansas.

Take your fandom elsewhere. Here is a team for you.

http://www.du.edu/

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: STLhawgg on April 09, 2015, 12:24:38 pm
So some "expert" that just started following BP a few months ago projects him to be a lottery pick, then when it comes time for the real draft to happen he doesn't get picked until further down in the draft.  I swear I've seen the play out over and over again in the past.  I wish BP the very best in whatever he decides, but I really don't see him being a lottery pick unless he really impresses when he works out for the teams (and that's a big IF in my opinion).  I saw BP look very lackluster against better competition (later rounds of SECT and the NCAAT) and I'm sure NBA decision makers noticed the same.  I believe he needs to get stronger playing near the basket (both on OFF and DEF) to translate well to the NBA game.

Actually, there's a lot more contact in the college game. Portis needs to get away from the pounding he takes in college, because his game is better suited for the pros. Wish they called it differently, but teams are rewarded for throwing bodies at a skilled player like Portis.
[CENSORED]!

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: TrueBlue on April 09, 2015, 02:03:36 pm
Slamming Fayetteville? Not cool. Alum or not. Saying crap like that does nothing to help the program.

I defend Fayetteville just like I do all parts of Arkansas.

Take your fandom elsewhere. Here is a team for you.

http://www.du.edu/

Saying that a place is better than Fayetteville is not in any way slamming Fayetteville.
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on April 09, 2015, 02:59:35 pm
Saying that a place is better than Fayetteville is not in any way slamming Fayetteville.
+1000
I love Fayetteville but I love Denver more. I lived in both cities(Denver currently). I'm not trashing Fayetteville just saying Its a much bigger world outside the state of Arkansas.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: STLhawgg on April 09, 2015, 12:24:38 pm
So some "expert" that just started following BP a few months ago projects him to be a lottery pick, then when it comes time for the real draft to happen he doesn't get picked until further down in the draft.  I swear I've seen the play out over and over again in the past.  I wish BP the very best in whatever he decides, but I really don't see him being a lottery pick unless he really impresses when he works out for the teams (and that's a big IF in my opinion).  I saw BP look very lackluster against better competition (later rounds of SECT and the NCAAT) and I'm sure NBA decision makers noticed the same.  I believe he needs to get stronger playing near the basket (both on OFF and DEF) to translate well to the NBA game.

Obviously a young man as intelligent as Bobby is not going to make a life changing decision based on a basketball writers mock draft. The purpose of posting the link is to give people that are emotionally invested in Bobby's decision a point of view from someone that evaluates players with no emotional ties to the player, the school or their fandom. There are plenty of mock drafts that project BP in the low to mid 20's. Their are no guarantees for draft position unless you are a lock for the #1 pick. The writer in question is a west coast guy that has posted video work ups of BP's game and strengths, which made me pay attention.  His observations were very astute, so I appreciate the fact that a guy based in California has taken the time to study BP's game while acknowledging that mock drafts are a crap shoot at best.

Biggus Piggus

Portis was second-team All-America and SEC POY. It's a serious reach to expect him to return to college for another season.
[CENSORED]!

TrueBlue

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 09, 2015, 05:53:42 pm
+1000
I love Fayetteville but I love Denver more. I lived in both cities(Denver currently). I'm not trashing Fayetteville just saying Its a much bigger world outside the state of Arkansas.

Saying 50x better is slamming dude - don't spin it

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 09, 2015, 06:30:02 pm
Portis was second-team All-America and SEC POY. It's a serious reach to expect him to return to college for another season.

That is like telling some here there is no Santa Claus. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: TrueBlue on April 09, 2015, 06:52:56 pm
Saying 50x better is slamming dude - don't spin it

Not if you give out +1000's instead of +1's

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 09, 2015, 09:07:08 pm

His decision will come soon enough...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

PorkSoda

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 09, 2015, 09:07:08 pm
I got a note in an easter egg that said Portis was coming back
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 09, 2015, 09:36:27 pm

Sounds reasonable.  Can I use you as a source? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

1highhog

Well, that's just your opinion, and that's what Hogville is here for.  I've been to Philly, it sucks.  And as far as Denver, it's a hell hole as well.  I've spent more than just a week or two in each place and getting snow of nearly 4' deep in Denver was enough to tell me that's not the place for me.  And since when has either team been a serious contender in the NBA?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 09, 2015, 09:36:27 pm
thats funny cause i got one that says he'd be here TWO more years.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

jcarney12747

His back to the basket game needs improvement. I'll understand whatever he decides.

WorfHog

Theolesnort

Come on RBG Denver has smog some of the time and is filthy and dirty...Compared to Colorado Springs. ;)
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!