Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greatest basketball players from Arkansas

Started by HAWG MAFIA, April 08, 2015, 09:20:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HAWG MAFIA

This came up on a Facebook thread with some friends. Names that came up, in no particular order were
Pippen
Moncrief
Corliss
Johnson
Fisher

Who are your top 5 from Arkansas?

Inhogswetrust

April 08, 2015, 10:04:32 am #1 Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 12:55:13 pm by Inhogswetrust
Only time will tell. Until otherwise....................as of right now though only one is in the HOF and thus is the greatest. Others can be highly subjective.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MountieDawg

If you are talking about NBA Careers
Pippen
Moncreif
Paul Silas
Micheal Cage
Johnson
SEC!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 08, 2015, 10:17:17 am
If you are talking about NBA Careers
Pippen
Moncreif
Paul Silas
Micheal Cage
Johnson

I'd include Derek Fisher in that group.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

michaels

ballinhog

chiefhawg

Caldwell Jones
Wil Jones
Charles Jones
Oliver Jones
Major Jones

All from McGehee Arkansas

HAWG MAFIA

I thought there were only 4 Caldwell bros.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: HAWG MAFIA on April 08, 2015, 04:06:13 pm
I thought there were only 4 Caldwell bros.

5 Jones brothers.  5.....not Caldwell brothers.  Come on.

HawgWild

moses_007

James Paul Lovelady of Arkansas Tech was a big guy who shot with both hands, and boy could he nail it.  Best basketball player I've ever seen in person from the state of Arkansas.

http://www.zoominfo.com/p/James-Lovelady/719565682

dhornjr1

Quote from: moses_007 on April 08, 2015, 05:55:10 pm
James Paul Lovelady of Arkansas Tech was a big guy who shot with both hands, and boy could he nail it.  Best basketball player I've ever seen in person from the state of Arkansas.

http://www.zoominfo.com/p/James-Lovelady/719565682

My dad used to go on and on about J.P. Lovelady. He was invited to camp by the St. Louis Hawks and was killed in a car wreck shortly before camp started.

Marty Blake was the guy who scouted him.

http://www.nba.com/features/martyblake_070516.html

QuoteI had invited a player named J.P. Lovelady (Arkansas Tech) to come to our rookie summer camp in the 1960s when I was GM of the St. Louis Hawks. He was 6-5 ½ and 210 and played both the two and the three and I felt I really had a sleeper since I knew I didn't even have to draft him. I felt I had discovered another Jerry Sloan and planned to sign him when he arrived in St. Louis. As fate would have it, he was killed in an auto accident before our camp. I made arrangements for flowers and to attend his funeral.

hoglady

Well to me it's

Pippen
Moncrief

then a number of players who could round out the other 3.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

dhornjr1

If you're gonna include guys who were born in Arkansas but didn't necessarily grow up in Arkansas you should include Joe Barry Carrol and Fat Lever. And Mike Conley, Jr. will go on that list in a few years.

(notOM)Rebel123

"Dead Eye" Dexter Reed.
Sidney Moncrief
Michael Cage
Keith Lee
Corliss Williamson

These guys could win a NCAA Title.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hoglady

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on April 08, 2015, 09:07:49 pm
"Dead Eye" Dexter Reed.
Sidney Moncrief
Michael Cage
Keith Lee
Corliss Williamson

These guys could win a NCAA Title.

Just curious why Pippen isn't on your list.
Top 50 all-time player, NBA hall of fame.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Dr. Starcs

bob slydell

Difficult to nail a good list down but I'll give it a shot.

Pros:
Scottie Pippen
Sidney Moncrief
Derek Fisher
Joe Johnson
Corliss Williamson

College:
Corliss Williamson
Sidney Moncreif
Keith Lee
Bobby Portis
Marcus Brown

High School:
Corliss Williamson
Joe Harvell
Keith Lee
Michael Cage
Bobby Portis
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Don Sevier.  Best three sport player ever.

PonderinHog

HawgnCorona

Quote from: jbcarol on April 08, 2015, 01:00:17 pm

Your namesake? Joe Barry? LOL!!! Dont forget Lafayette Lever, Archie Clark ...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hoglady on April 08, 2015, 10:34:51 pm
Just curious why Pippen isn't on your list.
Top 50 all-time player, NBA hall of fame.

I was just thinking high school/college.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hogsolo

I can't believe no one mentioned Darrell Walker, I remember M Jordan saying he was the best defender he'd faced in the '90's.   The Bulls even signed him one season based on Jordan's suggestion.

He and Alvin Robinson both played that defensive guard Sutton ball to perfection.

How about Joe Klein who fought Olajuwon tooth and nail for two years?

Then Lee Mayberry, talk about mr clutch jump shot.   He never scored a ton, but I don't remember ever expecting him to miss a shot. 

chiefhawg

Enos Mitchell and Wayne Harshaw.

Both played at Henderson in the 70s. IMO Enos is the best PG to ever play at an Arkansas college or university. A Marvell Arkansas product.

hoglady

Dugann

Pipen, Johnson, Fisher, Moncrief, Klines, Corliss, walker, hastings, off top of head
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged