Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WOW, no visible tattoos on any of the 10 starters, vegas odds on that at the beginning of the season

Started by Brandon72, April 06, 2015, 08:28:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon72

Looks like a lot of these players understand that cool, visible tats all over yourself (especially on your neck) just might put you behind the eight ball for great entry level jobs to starting building your career/future, for those that don't get NBA pro contracts.

Two classy looking teams for sure. 

jry04

I do not get the obsession on here regarding whether a player has tattoos. Who cares...

scorekeeper

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Brandon72

Don't really care, it was just an obersavation, and where you can pretty much bet on anyting in Vegas, something that I bet the odds would have been about the same as hitting the lottery back to back.

ballz2thewall

The rest of the frog.

TNhawgfan

I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

ChicoHog

Quote from: jry04 on April 06, 2015, 08:35:31 pm
I do not get the obsession on here regarding whether a player has tattoos. Who cares...
Because it's unusual in this day and age. 

nwahogfan1

Some care.  I don't like looking at a kid wearing a bill board on his arms and how about neck.  UGLY to me but I am over 60.  When I don't see a kid wearing tattoos it tells me they are less rebellious and more main stream.. 

Steef

I think it looks awful. And it's usually (always) unreadable.

But I'm not their mama or girlfriend, so I don't really care.

Pigliophile

A lot of these players get tattoos based on their playing experiences and careers. Many of these players will be done with basketball in a couple of years but they will have the tattoos to commemorate the experience forever. I think there's no harm in it. Thinking a tattoo makes you less "classy" is a very dated mentality.

Arazorbackguy1

Tattoo's are so cliche' these days. Hey look at this ancient Indian Buddha tattoo I got yesterday...

"What does it mean?"   "I don't know, probably like gifted or something".

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Adam Stokes

sickboy

I've got sleeves. But totally get why tattoos aren't for everyone. And I also don't begrudge someone for prejudging me because of my tattoos. I chose to cover my body in ink. It was a conscious decision every single time. So, I'll deal with the judgements by others that come along with it. But I will say that I relish breaking the stereotypes that most people attribute to guys covered in tattoos.

Torqued pork

I've become indifferent about them, but I've yet to see the first that I would want to see for the rest of my life.

LZH

I was driving next to this young white guy on a motorcycle in Kissimmee the other day...had his gal on the back.  It took a second to realize what I was seeing, but his armfuls of "tats" were actually just pantyhose-type sleeves that went from his wrists up to his biceps.  It looked real until you saw the difference between the skin color on his forearms under the 'ink' and the skin color above that.

As the breeze was blowing his T-shirt about, I saw that his multi-colored tats stopped abruptly in a ring around his arm halfway between his elbows and his armpits.  But upon further inspection you could see that he was wearing a skin-colored sleeve with tattoo art all over it.  His gloves covered the lower end and his shirt sleeves were supposed to cover the upper end but I guess he wasn't bright enough to consider what would happen to his shirt as he sped down the highway.

What a punk.  I don't have any tattoos and personally think most of them look like crap, but it would have made my day to see a real biker yank him off that motorcycle and spank his azz right in front of his woman for being such a d!ck and a poser. 

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Steef

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

LZH

Quote from: twistitup on April 07, 2015, 05:30:26 am
^

Sounds like he was trying very hard to impress - funny
Quote from: steefhog on April 07, 2015, 05:36:56 am
Sounds goofy to me.

But he did have a girl on the back....so it worked.

I equate that to a guy who would stuff a sock down the front of his pants or something.  It just hit me wrong.

Of course, maybe if I wore fake tattoos and/or crammed a sock down the crotch of my britches I'd have one of those 25 year old leather-clad gals hanging around, too......for a little while, anyway.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: LZH on April 07, 2015, 06:49:54 am
I equate that to a guy who would stuff a sock down the front of his pants or something.  It just hit me wrong.

Of course, maybe if I wore fake tattoos and/or crammed a sock down the crotch of my britches I'd have one of those 25 year old leather-clad gals hanging around, too......for a little while, anyway.

Damnit.  (Takes out sock)
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: LZH on April 07, 2015, 06:49:54 am

Until she realized the tube sock was more of a footie.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

3kgthog

There's a reason most employers make their employees cover up their tats. There's a reason you don't see many teachers covered in visible ink. There's a reason you don't see many (if any) CEOs with neck tattoos.

To me, it's not so much the tats but the placement and number of them.

Inhogswetrust

Basketball playing is not one of them BUT some jobs and companies do not allow visible tats when at work. In a LOT of companies and industries appearance can be important.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

McKdaddy

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 07, 2015, 08:29:31 am
Basketball playing is not one of them BUT some jobs and companies do not allow visible tats when at work. In a LOT of companies and industries appearance can be important.

My business (financial advisory firm) is one of these.  Covering the tat is in our employee policy handbook...assuming of course that the tat can be covered.  If not, cannot hire that person.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

rwspear

k.c.hawg

Quote from: gawntrail on April 07, 2015, 08:09:44 am
Parents of daughters.

Yeah we all know an abusive man with no tat's  is much better than a loving caring man with some tat's. Perhaps parents of daughters should dig a little deeper than the surface of the skin.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

jgphillips3

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 07, 2015, 07:53:18 am
There's a reason most employers make their employees cover up their tats. There's a reason you don't see many teachers covered in visible ink. There's a reason you don't see many (if any) CEOs with neck tattoos.

To me, it's not so much the tats but the placement and number of them.

Yep.  I'm 45 so take my impression for my age.  I have lots of friends who have Tats.  Some who have just 1-3 or so and several friends that are literally covered in some outstanding art.  However, when you make that choice to make that statement, you just have to accept that some may not like it.  I personally think it is absurd to get neck or facial tattoos but have no issue with sleeves.  It's kind of like piercings and hairdos.  Some are appropriate in business life and some aren't going to be as a general rule.  You have a right to be an individual but employers have the right to decide that person doesn't represent their product well.  Now, on the other hand, those same things that may get you scorned in general business may make you perfect for others.  It's just that people need to understand that free speech doesn't mean speech free from consequence and just accept the consequence of their action for good or ill.

EastexHawg

I know the standard is probably lower for athletes, but a glance at the Wisconsin website says the average ACT score for admitted freshmen is in the 27-31 range.  Average high school GPA is 3.7 to 4.0 and class rank is in the 84th-97th percentile.

I'm sure the standards are at least that high...if not higher...at Duke.

Coincidence?  I think not.

psooie

I don't understand why folks get massive amounts of tattoos. I means just watch MSNBC lockup and see who else has such things.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: McKdaddy on April 07, 2015, 08:42:43 am
My business (financial advisory firm) is one of these.  Covering the tat is in our employee policy handbook...assuming of course that the tat can be covered.  If not, cannot hire that person.

Yes sir. Also a LOT of companies have policies against certain types of visible piercings. I've worked for several where men are not allowed earrings at all and women must not have any that dangle and can only have one per earlobe. Other things are also "spelled" out as well.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

BDSCT51

Being a POF, I don't mind if they're tastefully done when displayed in public. I don't care to have one and work real hard not to be judgemental on an individual that chooses to have tats. This Daddy couldn't handle the needles!

As far as being on the BB players, doesn't matter to me, only the court performance.

Now I do appreciate tattos as art, for instance, the Suicide Girls!
Bleeding Razorback Red

RazorPiggie

OLDHOG

I am over 60 and I really don't like tattoos personally, but I never judge anyone by their looks only by their actions. Good people come in all shapes and sizes. 

uncle bubs

Growing up in rock n roll, tattoos were the norm for my community. These were people who had no interest in office jobs, and most of them still don't. They were creative minds, so they became mechanics, business owners, music pastors, and musicians for a living. Society frowned on tattoos, which made us outkasts.
In an interesting turn of events, our society has become accepting of tattoos. I can honestly say the majority of my supervisors at FedEx have forearm tattoos, which we used to refer to as "job killers". Our athletes, whom are covered in stupid tattoos, are praised as role models. Unfortunately, this new phenomena of high school athletes with tattoos will become uncool, and they'll be stuck with ridiculous body art forever. I'm thankful my parents made me wait till I was older to get tattoos, Lord knows what awful crap I'd have put on my body.
God bless the Boston Mountains.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: uncle bubs on April 07, 2015, 01:02:07 pm
Growing up in rock n roll, tattoos were the norm for my community. These were people who had no interest in office jobs, and most of them still don't. They were creative minds, so they became mechanics, business owners, music pastors, and musicians for a living. Society frowned on tattoos, which made us outkasts.
In an interesting turn of events, our society has become accepting of tattoos. I can honestly say the majority of my supervisors at FedEx have forearm tattoos, which we used to refer to as "job killers". Our athletes, whom are covered in stupid tattoos, are praised as role models. Unfortunately, this new phenomena of high school athletes with tattoos will become uncool, and they'll be stuck with ridiculous body art forever. I'm thankful my parents made me wait till I was older to get tattoos, Lord knows what awful crap I'd have put on my body.

You might want to walk around the FedEx corporate headquarters offices at Southwind.................no visible tats there to speak of. I'm betting your supervisors office isn't on that campus.

Professor Psychosis

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 06, 2015, 10:46:05 pm
Some care.  I don't like looking at a kid wearing a bill board on his arms and how about neck.  UGLY to me but I am over 60.  When I don't see a kid wearing tattoos it tells me they are less rebellious and more main stream.. 

Heck, these days, it's really almost more mainstream to have tattoos/piercings, and rebellious not to have them.

Adam Stokes

I personally don't let whether or not someone has tattoos affect my thinking or first impressions of them, but that can't be said about all people.  The way you choose to look in public says how you want others to think of you.  While there are times when it is good to not care what people think, there are also a lot of times when it is.  That's one reason I've chosen to not grow my hair back out even though I personally like it better longer, actually decided to buy some suits the other day for interviews, etc. 

I agree that it is good for parents to set expectations for their children for as long as they can.  My mom always said, "You can choose to get an ear piercing.  I can choose to rip it out of your ear the first moment I see it."  I already have buddies that wished they hadn't gotten their tats, and I'm only 25.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on April 07, 2015, 03:03:09 pm
Heck, these days, it's really almost more mainstream to have tattoos/piercings, and rebellious not to have them.

True, we are a point where getting a tat is akin to conformity, ha. 
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

uncle bubs

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 07, 2015, 02:54:48 pm
You might want to walk around the FedEx corporate headquarters offices at Southwind……………..no visible tats there to speak of. I'm betting your supervisors office isn't on that campus.
Why would I walk around Southwind if I don't work there? I have a nice job already who is accepting of decorated skin. It's all relative, some jobs are accepting and some are not. If you're tattooed, find a job who accepts it, there are jobs in abundance who do. Point being, tattoos were generally for folks who rebelled against mainstream society. They didn't want to "fit in" for a reason. Athletes nowadays seem to be getting tattooed to indeed "fit in". They'll likely regret them somethin' awful down the road when tattoos aren't fashionable anymore. Save the hand and neck tattoos until you're a little further along in life and know that your family won't suffer for it.
God bless the Boston Mountains.

CoveMan

I'm in the military and have tattoos. Two of them are patriotic and the other one is a razorback. I can cover them up with a t-shirt, and nobody even knows I have tattoos. According to most folks on here though I better not get out of the military because I won't be able to find a job sinc I have "billboards" on my body.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: uncle bubs on April 07, 2015, 03:36:50 pm
Why would I walk around Southwind if I don't work there? I have a nice job already who is accepting of decorated skin. It's all relative, some jobs are accepting and some are not. If you're tattooed, find a job who accepts it, there are jobs in abundance who do. Point being, tattoos were generally for folks who rebelled against mainstream society. They didn't want to "fit in" for a reason. Athletes nowadays seem to be getting tattooed to indeed "fit in". They'll likely regret them somethin' awful down the road when tattoos aren't fashionable anymore. Save the hand and neck tattoos until you're a little further along in life and know that your family won't suffer for it.

You're the one that brought up FedEx.......................Yes for some jobs it's fine to have them but not others. The higher you go in the corporate structure the less likely Tats are the norm or accepted. For most traditional white collar jobs it is not accepted.  Also for some blue collar or service sector jobs it isn't. At least not visible ones.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: CoveMan on April 07, 2015, 03:39:01 pm
I'm in the military and have tattoos. Two of them are patriotic and the other one is a razorback. I can cover them up with a t-shirt, and nobody even knows I have tattoos. According to most folks on here though I better not get out of the military because I won't be able to find a job sinc I have "billboards" on my body.

There is a difference in visible tattoos and tattoos which aren't in business attire or business casual attire.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: CoveMan on April 07, 2015, 03:39:01 pm

The operative words there are "can cover them up with a t-shirt." You can certainly find a job, however it probably will limit what jobs you wish to get and what company you can work for.

sowmonella

When folks get old some of those tats are just going to look like multicolored wrinkles.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

z1on

Seriously, who cares if they have tats or not? It's their body, let them do whatever they want to it.

Westcoasthog