Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Babb Be Gone(Catch All)

Started by kingcam25, April 02, 2015, 12:32:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kingcam25

razorhogLR

jry04

I didn't believe it would happen, but Porked Tongue gets it right again.

Hawg Red

%^&#

That's all I have to say.

The_Iceman

Why would he leave just as he is about to get his big opportunity?

Maybe he was pissed that he earned playing time in practice, but never got to play over Durham/Bell/Watkins.

bighog2255

Sucks. My guess is he is headed back to the Dallas area where he is from.

jry04

Quote from: bighog2255 on April 02, 2015, 12:39:21 pm
Sucks. My guess is he is headed back to the Dallas area where he is from.
Probably, but I doubt we let him go to SMU.

BigBen

This just doesn't make sense to me. Kid had tons of potential and was now growing into his body. I wonder if he just thought he was better than the amount of playing time he got this year. Wish him the best of luck but this hurts I was really excited about his future and thought he had a chance to be all SEC by his senior year

The_Iceman

Who do we pick up now?

Hawg Red

Quote from: jry04 on April 02, 2015, 12:39:52 pm

I hate that it's like that with releases. If a kid doesn't want to be in your program anymore, just let him go wherever he wants. Especially if it's back home.

jry04

z1on

dammit, he would have had a lot of playing time next year

Melvin Frazier come on down

bighog2255

Quote from: jry04 on April 02, 2015, 12:39:52 pm

I don't think we can dictate where he goes, except for it being a non-SEC school

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 02, 2015, 12:40:26 pm
Who do we pick up now?

Frazier.

I would say someone else but that horse has been beat to death.

The_Iceman

Quote from: BigBen on April 02, 2015, 12:40:19 pm
This just doesn't make sense to me. Kid had tons of potential and was now growing into his body. I wonder if he just thought he was better than the amount of playing time he got this year. Wish him the best of luck but this hurts I was really excited about his future and thought he had a chance to be all SEC by his senior year

Me too. I was penciling him as a potential starter or first group off the bench depending on if Qualls left. Maybe Qualls is returning.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 02, 2015, 12:41:11 pm
Frazier.

I would say someone else but that horse has been beat to death.

My concern is that there has been zero connection between us and Frazier for a long time. I know Mike keeps things quiet, but it still seems like Richard would have discovered something.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 02, 2015, 12:42:11 pm
My concern is that there has been zero connection between us and Frazier for a long time. I know Mike keeps things quiet, but it still seems like Richard would have discovered something.

If Frazier isn't an option, it would depend on what Portis and Qualls do. If they return, I'd like to see the coaches pursue a graduate transfer in the frontcourt. If they leave, I'd like to see them go after prep guys with high ceilings that fall into that "late bloomer" category.

hogsanity

Quote from: BigBen on April 02, 2015, 12:40:19 pm

Really, what about it does not make sense?  Every week Mike would talk about how Babb had earned more time, was doing all the right things to play more, etc, then every week Babb would get no real time at all.

So, either Mike was using Babb just to try to motivate others, and Babb really was not good enough to play, OR Babb was good enough to play more, but MA was too hung up on the older guys to play him.

Of course there is door # 3, Babb was told, or at least thinks he is not going to earn much more PT next year either.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

3kgthog

Well, that worked out well.

jjdlc

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 02, 2015, 12:42:11 pm

Unless he was asked to keep it quiet.  RD has done that in the past when coaches asked him not to talk about a subject.  It's how he continues to get inside info.

I'm disappointed, seeing Babb in the tournaments, I felt he was going to be a really good one, and was in line for lots of playing time next year.  We may never know what his reasoning was. 

The Hogfather

So stupid (unless there are family health issues, etc.)!  Waste a year right when you are about to become a major contributor. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogsanity on April 02, 2015, 12:47:59 pm
Really, what about it does not make sense?  Every week Mike would talk about how Babb had earned more time, was doing all the right things to play more, etc, then every week Babb would get no real time at all.

So, either Mike was using Babb just to try to motivate others, and Babb really was not good enough to play, OR Babb was good enough to play more, but MA was too hung up on the older guys to play him.

Of course there is door # 3, Babb was told, or at least thinks he is not going to earn much more PT next year either.

Yeah, several different ways it could have gone, but it was clear that there was no guaranteed playing time for Babb even with Madden leaving since Whitt and Hannahs were being added to the active roster. Hate to see him go, but we're a ways off from knowing how much this will hurt us. He did show some flashes but they were few and far behind. We might or might not be missing out on much, but either way, I wish Babb luck and thank him for giving the Hogs a shot. Sorry it didn't work out for him. I liked his skill-set.

bighogonthewall

Could this be a sign that he knows Qualls is coming back? 

SONofHAM

"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

Hawg Red

Quote from: bighogonthewall on April 02, 2015, 12:51:38 pm
Could this be a sign that he knows Qualls is coming back?

That's one way to take it. Qualls leaving definitely would have opened up playing time for the 6'5 Babb as a big guard in a potential 3 guard lineup.

Hawg Red

Quote from: SONofHAM on April 02, 2015, 12:51:41 pm
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/apr/01/macon-earns-all-american-honors-high-hogs/

Looks like Macon will be high on the list

Macon is a 2016 recruit. Our status with him has no bearing on the Babb situation.

hogsanity

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 02, 2015, 12:49:12 pm
So stupid (unless there are family health issues, etc.)!  Waste a year right when you are about to become a major contributor. 

So what are the next winning lottery numbers, since you have such a clear view of the future.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Bkhardicars

I have no inside information at all, so I don't know what has transpired and what bridges have been burnt.That being said, with what little info I have, I would like us to pursue Kevaughn Allen and get that relationship repaired and that pipe line open.

hawginbigd1

Dang it Babby! Come on down Dikembe!

CDBHawg

Quote from: Bkhardicars on April 02, 2015, 12:54:26 pm
I have no inside information at all, so I don't know what has transpired and what bridges have been burnt.That being said, with what little info I have, I would like us to pursue Kevaughn Allen and get that relationship repaired and that pipe line open.

I'd take KA in a second.

The_Iceman

Unless the kid is homesick and wants to get closer to home, this feels like a hasty decision. He was just about to get major playing time in 2016. Oh well, we'll move on.

azhog10

I hope this opens the door for Ingram the Alabama Decommit.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Bkhardicars on April 02, 2015, 12:54:26 pm

Life won't be that good to me.

chiefhawg

SMU destination? Remember what Larry Brown said in a time long long ago almost forgotten.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 02, 2015, 12:56:04 pm
Unless the kid is homesick and wants to get closer to home, this feels like a hasty decision. He was just about to get major playing time in 2016. Oh well, we'll move on.

Again, another assumption he was about to get major playing time. HE could barely get on the floor this year, and with Whitt coming in and Hannahs becomming eligible, he may not have seen any more time than last year.

The_Iceman

https://instagram.com/p/0-yVEmPG2f/

youngbabb14
"I'd like to take a moment to thank everybody for everything! From the coaches and my teammates to the fans! Y'all have made my experience in Fayetteville worth while but my time as a hog is over! Thank you."

TRUHOG718

Sorry to hear that. I was fascinated with his potential. Can't say I blame him though. Looking at the numbers next year he was again going to swamped in that second unit of, Manny, Jabril, and Bell for playing time even though talent wise he appeared to be a better mix of combined offense/defense than all 3.  Looks like Iowa State/SMU/Baylor/Longhorns are about to get a good one. Good luck to ya young fella. Ill be rooting for you.

T.H.
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

Disappointing he's gone but wish him luck. Handled himself well all year.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 02, 2015, 12:57:26 pm
Life won't be that good to me.

As Mr. Wonderful says, "he is dead to me" .... until he announces he is a Hog.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 02, 2015, 12:58:45 pm

https://instagram.com/p/0-yVEmPG2f/

youngbabb14
"I'd like to take a moment to thank everybody for everything! From the coaches and my teammates to the fans! Y'all have made my experience in Fayetteville worth while but my time as a hog is over! Thank you."

Pretty classy. Many here could take a lesson from it.

chiefhawg

Quote from: Karma on April 02, 2015, 12:58:54 pm
He is a high character young man with a strong family foundation. He will be fine and so will we.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Karma on April 02, 2015, 12:58:54 pm

Big Boi

Never seen anything that made me think we got a steal in signing him.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Big Boi on April 02, 2015, 01:01:26 pm
Never seen anything that made me think we got a steal in signing him.

Good thing you are not our talent evaluator then. Babb was a typical Mike Anderson recruit. Mike has had many guards at Mizzou that didn't play much at first, but then really jumped onto the scene. Babb grew his last year in high school and was still adjusting to the game. With time and development, he would have been a good player here.

I expect he will do very well wherever he ends up.

TNhawgfan

Well that sucks. Good luck Mr. Babb
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Swinesong1

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 02, 2015, 01:06:06 pm
Good thing you are not our talent evaluator then. Babb was a typical Mike Anderson recruit. Mike has had many guards at Mizzou that didn't play much at first, but then really jumped onto the scene. Babb grew his last year in high school and was still adjusting to the game. With time and development, he would have been a good player here.

I expect he will do very well wherever he ends up.
AAU ties with A&M.  Bet he ends up there.

jry04

Quote from: bighog2255 on April 02, 2015, 12:41:08 pm
I don't think we can dictate where he goes, except for it being a non-SEC school
We can, actually. It is just most common that the list is within conferences.

I only say we probably don't let him go to SMU because Larry Brown basically used a recruiting pitch after our game with them saying he recruited Babb, and that Babb sat on our bench all game when he probably would be getting substantial minutes for them.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Swinesong1 on April 02, 2015, 01:21:19 pm
AAU ties with A&M.  Bet he ends up there.

Would we block a transfer within our own conference?