Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pickled Okra

Started by DeltaBoy, October 23, 2014, 09:12:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

snoblind

Wasting perfectly good okra by pickling instead frying it with red onion ought to be a felony.  Used to bring tears to my eyes when parents would do it when I was a kid.

;)

LSUFan

Quote from: snoblind on May 08, 2016, 01:07:58 pm
Wasting perfectly good okra by pickling instead frying it with red onion ought to be a felony.  Used to bring tears to my eyes when parents would do it when I was a kid.

;)
Do divulge this okry and red onion dish you speak so fondly of  :D
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

zane

Quote from: LSUFan on May 08, 2016, 01:25:21 pm
Do divulge this okry and red onion dish you speak so fondly of  :D

'Taint never fried muh okree with red ungiun. Sounds right tastee
RIP LSUfan

PharmacistHog

Quote from: snoblind on May 08, 2016, 01:07:58 pm

;)

Well hell as much okra as the plants put out you kinda have to get creative.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

snoblind

Start with cast iron skillet, of course, melt Crisco.  She would just use corn meal to coat the okra and start it cooking while chopping up a red onion and tossing in the leftover cornmeal.  Then dump the onion in the skillet pretty quickly afterwards.  Gas stove on high so you had to keep stirring so it wouldn't burn.  Salt, pepper, garlic powder toward the end.

There's probably something I like better, but after typing that I can't think of it. 

And Pharm, you cut and freeze the extra okra so there's plenty to cook all winter and spring until the next crop.

LSUFan

Quote from: snoblind on May 08, 2016, 06:42:03 pm
Start with cast iron skillet, of course, melt Crisco.  She would just use corn meal to coat the okra and start it cooking while chopping up a red onion and tossing in the leftover cornmeal.  Then dump the onion in the skillet pretty quickly afterwards.  Gas stove on high so you had to keep stirring so it wouldn't burn.  Salt, pepper, garlic powder toward the end.

There's probably something I like better, but after typing that I can't think of it. 

And Pharm, you cut and freeze the extra okra so there's plenty to cook all winter and spring until the next crop.

Ty sir, will try.

PorkRinds

I grew up on okra and potatoes done that way. Coat both in cornmeal and fry together. It's pretty darn tasty. Especially with some purple hull peas.

snoblind

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 08, 2016, 09:08:51 pm
I grew up on okra and potatoes done that way. Coat both in cornmeal and fry together. It's pretty darn tasty. Especially with some purple hull peas.

Looking back guess I grew up thinking you were supposed to put onions in everything.  Mom would put them in pinto beans, purple hull peas, green beans, cabbage, salads...

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 08, 2016, 09:08:51 pm

My Mother put Onions in taters , beans and Okra.  I love it fried and I love the end of season Pickled.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DeltaBoy

well for every pound of okra, I use 6 garlic cloves, 3 cups cider vinegar, 1 cup water, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1 1/2 tablespoon dill seeds, 1 tablespoon mustard, 1 1/2 tablespoon salt (table salt works in a pinch but can become cloudy from anti caking agent), and 1 tablepoon sugar.

It makes 6 half pint jars...and I tend to water bath them for 10 minutes.

My other way of doing it...For ever 2 pounds small-medium okra pods. I use 4 dried thai birds eye chili's split in half, 2 teaspoons mustard seed, 12 sprigs of fresh dill, 4 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns, 1/4 cup salt, 2 cups rice wine vinegar, 2 cups water, bottled is preferable.

Makes 4 pints, and water bath them for 15 minute.

Another way is for every 1 1/2 pounds fresh okra use:

3 dried red chile peppers
3 teaspoons dried dill
2 cups water
1 cup vinegar
2 tablespoons salt

10 minute bath.

3 pounds okra
6 hot peppers
6 garlic cloves
1 quart vinegar
1 1/3 cup water
1/2 cup salt
1 tablespoon mustard seed

10 minute bath...

1 pound okra, trimmed
4 small dried red chiles
2 bay leaves
2 garlic cloves, halved
1 teaspoon dill seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt

10 min bath
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

DeltaBoy

DeltaBoy

I Eat a 1/2 pint a month.

DeltaBoy

Still nibbling on  it ever few weeks and I awful tempted to eat a whole pint but I still leary about getting Migraines. 

JIMMY BOARFFETT

The ole lady and I made this on Saturday, during the game.

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on September 07, 2016, 10:21:49 am

Nice and I love it

LSUFan

I now hate you  >:(

BR

That would go great with my Bloody Marys....   
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: BR on September 07, 2016, 06:25:33 pm
  That would go great with my Bloody Marys....   

I'd trade a jar or two for one of you bloody Marys.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

BR

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on September 07, 2016, 10:15:02 pm
I'd trade a jar or two for one of you bloody Marys.
DONE...NExt time I come to Fayetteville, I'll bring a Gallon for you..

DeltaBoy

Man I love Hogville and seeing folks helping each other out to have a good time.

BR

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 08, 2016, 01:42:05 pm
Man I love Hogville and seeing folks helping each other out to have a good time.
now thats funny

DeltaBoy

Quote from: BR on September 08, 2016, 04:20:45 pm
  now thats funny

I see on your Facebook page you have a good time every weekend and as hard as life is it great to see on this place to see folks share recipes , food and good buys.   I am sure you will post a picture of your Bloody Mary with that pickled orka setting on the rim.

riccoar

I'll take two jars.

snoblind

snoblind

snoblind

snoblind

DeltaBoy

It great fried too Okra is an underappreciated veggie.

LSUFan

snoblind is playing dirty

DeltaBoy

Grandma would also also cook it with tomatoes and onions and make a stew out of it with squirrel or stew meat.

snoblind

Quote from: LSUFan on September 20, 2016, 04:31:29 pm
snoblind is playing dirty

;)

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 21, 2016, 10:16:52 am
Grandma would also also cook it with tomatoes and onions and make a stew out of it with squirrel or stew meat.

My mom had this 5 layer casserole she would do.  Hamburger or sausage on bottom, then potatoes, onions, then tomatoes, and last top with okra.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: snoblind on September 21, 2016, 07:17:40 pm
;)

My mom had this 5 layer casserole she would do.  Hamburger or sausage on bottom, then potatoes, onions, then tomatoes, and last top with okra.

Sounds good!

DeltaBoy

Well I been off the Pickled Okra since last posting the mean ole Dr made me quit eating anything pickled or smoked says Nitrates are causing my mirgrains and so far I not had any more. But I do miss my pickled OKRA!

snoblind

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 15, 2016, 11:18:47 am
Well I been off the Pickled Okra since last posting the mean ole Dr made me quit eating anything pickled or smoked says Nitrates are causing my mirgrains and so far I not had any more. But I do miss my pickled OKRA!

Bummer.  Sorry to hear that.