Total Members Voted: 21

lumphog

311Hog

Piggie

It's a great day to be a Bryant Hornet!

WilsonHog

Quote from: lumphog on November 22, 2017, 12:11:01 pm
Well.   What's uncle Si have to say ?

That Bielema is more highly thought of than Mike Norvell.

The Kig

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 22, 2017, 12:14:06 pm
That Bielema is more highly thought of than Mike Norvell.

Probably puts a damper on all of those thinking Norvell is such a big name homerun hire.  He's an up and comer, not a lock... some big names on that list, most have solid pedigrees.  Norvell may be awesome but he only has 2 years at Memphis.
Poker Porker

#1 STUNNA

Im along the lines that you can either coach or you cant... experience as a head coach doesnt mean crap...

Paul

Quote from: The Kig on November 22, 2017, 12:32:57 pm
Probably puts a damper on all of those thinking Norvell is such a big name homerun hire.  He's an up and comer, not a lock... some big names on that list, most have solid pedigrees.  Norvell may be awesome but he only has 2 years at Memphis.
I think he is the home run hire for us(Frost & Campbell unrealistic).  He wants to be here & he has the highest ceiling of those in consideration.  He reminds me of Dabo the way he coaches & relates to his kids.  BTW, with all due respect, NO ONE is a lock. 

Potosihog

I'm shocked that Norvell is ranked 26th.  Although, we should be used to our coaches being ranked lower than we think they should.  When CBP was at the top of his game he was ranked 4th or 5th in the SEC by most media.

Give me Norvell at 26 for 2.2 million Alex.

Sapperhog

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 22, 2017, 12:34:10 pm
Im along the lines that you can either coach or you cant... experience as a head coach doesnt mean crap...

Exactly. Frost and Novell are both great recent examples. Both had success as OCs and took over the same type of program as a new HC. They're both proving your point as young guys with zero previous HC experience.

311Hog

The Kig

Quote from: Paul on November 22, 2017, 01:15:38 pm
  I think he is the home run hire for us(Frost & Campbell unrealistic).  He wants to be here & he has the highest ceiling of those in consideration.  He reminds me of Dabo the way he coaches & relates to his kids.  BTW, with all due respect, NO ONE is a lock.

Don't know him well enough to have an informed opinion, but why do Norvell supporters keep saying he has the highest ceiling?  I get that as an unproven commodity he has the most upside to prove he can coach in the SEC,  just seems to be a completely blind leap of faith based on a very small dataset.

100% agree that nobody is a lock.  Even Saban could fail if the right things didn't happen once he got somewhere.   Maybe risk mitigation is a better phrase.  There is less risk in known commodities. 
Poker Porker

Paul

Quote from: The Kig on November 22, 2017, 03:26:53 pm
Don't know him well enough to have an informed opinion, but why do Norvell supporters keep saying he has the highest ceiling?  I get that as an unproven commodity he has the most upside to prove he can coach in the SEC,  just seems to be a completely blind leap of faith based on a very small dataset.

100% agree that nobody is a lock.  Even Saban could fail if the right things didn't happen once he got somewhere.   Maybe risk mitigation is a better phrase.  There is less risk in known commodities.
As the program is at its nadir(since JLS), it seems the risk/reward ratio favors an up & comer the fan base will be more patient  than we were with a coach who had taken his team to 3 straight Rose Bowls or one who comes in viewed as a savior after taking his team to a recent NC game.  Norvell has been an OC, an associate head coach & a head coach.  There's plenty of info on this board about what his superiors & peers think of him.  I've followed him since he got to Memphis because he let it be known ARK was his dream job.  I have been impressed with him on & off the field because of his interaction with his players, boosters & the media.  He's dynamic, charismatic & has a handle of offense similar to a younger Gus(who he coached under).  I think this is our chance to change the culture & the trajectory of our football program.  And...if he fails he will be a lot easier to part with than Gus.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: Paul on November 22, 2017, 03:42:39 pm
  As the program is at its nadir(since JLS), it seems the risk/reward ratio favors an up & comer the fan base will be more patient  than we were with a coach who had taken his team to 3 straight Rose Bowls or one who comes in viewed as a savior after taking his team to a recent NC game.  Norvell has been an OC, an associate head coach & a head coach.  There's plenty of info on this board about what his superiors & peers think of him.  I've followed him since he got to Memphis because he let it be known ARK was his dream job.  I have been impressed with him on & off the field because of his interaction with his players, boosters & the media.  He's dynamic, charismatic & has a handle of offense similar to a younger Gus(who he coached under).  I think this is our chance to change the culture & the trajectory of our football program.  And...if he fails he will be a lot easier to part with than Gus.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HF#1

As I said, the pool of coaches is as big as it ever has been.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hawkhawg

RazorbacksFTW

Norvell Leach and Venables are all good choices.

JONAS

After watching some Youtube videos of Leach, I want him.  At least he would be a good interview.

lumphog

GOOD post Paul... I Agree

Calvin Swine

Preach on!

Styflin

Wuut?

The Kig

Ah, I get it now. The Norvell crowd are the defeatists who are raising the white flag since he is cheaper than actual coaches.
Poker Porker

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: lumphog on November 22, 2017, 12:11:01 pm
Well.   What's uncle Si have to say ?

Arkansas, aTm, Ole Miss and MSU just need to be happy that they are in the SEC west with Bama, Auburn and LSU... People don't remember the train wreck that was LSU or Bama before Saban got there. Auburn's record VS Arkansas is 15-11-1...

We are so lucky to get to hold their sac sacks...  :puke:  B.S.. Where the Hell is the next Petrino who just wants to win baby.!?!?!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

GuvHog

Quote from: The Kig on November 23, 2017, 07:43:01 am
Ah, I get it now. The Norvell crowd are the defeatists who are raising the white flag since he is cheaper than actual coaches.

For me, it has nothing to do with Norvell being cheaper. I just don't for one minute believe that Gus Malzahn is worth 6.5 Million a year. If the U of A is going to hire a big name coach, he should be worth the big money some want to spend.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

pigmania

I disagree. I have seen great assistant coaches and coordinators suck as a HC. Being a HC is not just about coaching. It's about being a CEO too.

pigmania

Norvell fans are the generic buyers. They are cheap spenders, hoping the generic brand will work as good as the teal thing. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

The Kig

Quote from: GuvHog on November 23, 2017, 09:11:50 am
For me, it has nothing to do with Norvell being cheaper. I just don't for one minute believe that Gus Malzahn is worth 6.5 Million a year. If the U of A is going to hire a big name coach, he should be worth the big money some want to spend.

I know you don't... You're also not a Norvell or bust guy.  The one guy that we should be going after (Venables) with that type of money probably will not even get a call. 
Poker Porker

GuvHog

Quote from: The Kig on November 23, 2017, 11:45:07 am
I know you don't... You're also not a Norvell or bust guy.  The one guy that we should be going after (Venables) with that type of money probably will not even get a call. 

Sadly, I agree.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

SchrodingersHog

Bizarre list.  SI has Bielema and Sumlin in their top ten, while they are both in the top ten on the coach hot seat list.

Harsin should be ranked higher than a lot of the assistants listed there.

Laughing Hog

November 23, 2017, 04:05:42 pm #29 Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 07:58:40 pm by Laughing Hog
Whoever it is, he needs to be a phenomenal recruiter first and foremost then focus on defense second
1. - 7. Brent Venables
2.? - 5. Gus Malzahn
2.? - 22. Jeremy Pruitt
2.? - 24. Frank Wilson
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Kneph13

Saban is the sole individual responsible for the state of SEC football at this point in time.  This is the opportunity for the beginning of a new era and the erosion of the Bama behemoth.  The University of Arkansas needs to seize this opportunity now and begin the influx of new coaching blood.  The seasoned coaches are done and have shown that they cannot defeat a Saban coached team.

Gus could start the beginning of the end if manages to defeat the Crimson Tide on Saturday.  Gus will remain at Auburn.  Root Hog!  Seize the moment and draw new blood from the pool.  Feed the beast that is a snorting angry razorback and let him charge.
There is no Political Correctness in war

Pork Twain

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/11/22/coaching-carousel-candidates-chip-kelly-scott-frost

I picked Brent Venables, but would like Manny Diaz, Scott Frost or Greg Schiano before most of the rest on that list.  I want defense, but Frost is more enticing to me than Gus or Norvell.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: pigmania on November 23, 2017, 11:22:59 am
I disagree. I have seen great assistant coaches and coordinators suck as a HC. Being a HC is not just about coaching. It's about being a CEO too.

13 teams in the top 25 have coaches that had zero HC experience when they took their jobs. Wish all of Bielemas experience would have panned out...

Nosboar Accubond

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on November 23, 2017, 09:11:50 am

Today it has a lot more to do with what the market will bear as opposed to sensibility and evaluation of the economics vs. the expected outcome. The problem is that compensation packages for HC's have grown exponentially over the last decade or so. In 2007 there were 42 major college football coaches who made at least $1 million. By 2012 there were 42 who were making at least $2 million and 13 who received a base salary of more than $3 million. As we all know, that number continues to grow.

Hiring committees tend to exaggerate the importance of immediate impressions or connections when making what should be a more complicated decision about who will lead their program (and financial performance and national perception as a result of wins) for the next 3 to 5 years. In situations like ours, as well as at other schools, people tend to give up on rational-choice economics too soon. So, you end up in a situation where each time that you replace a HC you end up sometimes paying more than you did before. Not necessarily because they are a guaranteed answer to your situation, but simply because of current market conditions.

Today, the going rate for an established, very successful HC can command something north of 5-6 million p/year. I don't care if we pay those rates but I want something in return for that kind of money. Personally, I'd like to see a compensation package that is lower in salary but that contains significant incentive clauses that might add up to more than 5-6 million. The question is, how many very successful HC's (other than up-and-comers) are going to agree to something like that? If they have 2 or 3 schools interested in them, why go to the one that puts the most pressure on you to succeed to earn more money when it isn't necessary to do so? Especially one that isn't a "stroll in the park" terms of recruiting higher end classes?

If we are going to get a more established, more successful HC with a lot of experience at the P-5 level, we are probably going to have to pay a huge sum whether we like it or not.
Go Hogs Go!

gmarv

The fan base has been pretty patient or is 5 years not a long time anymore ? I agree with the rest.

Paul

Quote from: pigmania on November 23, 2017, 11:27:07 am
Norvell fans are the generic buyers. They are cheap spenders, hoping the generic brand will work as good as the teal thing. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.
not at all  I think Norvell is a better offensive coach than Gus & with the money we save on not hiring a retread we'll be able to hire a Venables level DC

Paul

wrong. See post immediately above