Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let's look at some coaching histories and how it pertains to Arkansas

Started by lakecityhog, November 21, 2017, 09:01:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lakecityhog

Several years ago Michigan hired Rich Rod(60-26 WVU) and he failed badly. Then to Brady Hoke, a former player, but he couldn't get it done. And now they have Harbaugh at 10-3, 10-3 and 8-3 for now. Can he lead them to the top again? Remember Harbaugh made it to the Super Bowl(L) and 2 NFC Championship games.

Oklahoma went from Switzer to Gibbs(44-23) to Schnellenberger(5-5-1) to Blake(12-22) to Stoops(190-48) and now to Riley(10-1). Riley is still an unknown and the truth won't be known for a couple more years. Also, never a HC before. Stoops had never been a HC, DC for 2 years at Florida.

Now a look at Urban Meyer, never even a coordinator before he got the HC job at Bowling Green. 8 wins and 9 wins gets him the Utah job, not exactly a powerhouse conference(Mountain West)2 winning seasons there gets him the Florida job.

Michigan tried going with a successful HC and lost, then to a former player with coaching experience and now to a Super Bowl coach, who in 3 years has not won the Big10.

Oklahoma tied a bit of everything and hit a homerun with a 2nd year DC. Now they have promoted a "hand-picked" successor and only time will tell on him.

Urban Meyer was NEVER even a Coordinator when he got his 1st HC job.

What does all this mean to Arkansas? Absolutely NOTHING! We "might" hire an experienced guy and flop(BB/RR) or be moderately successful(JH/Gus) or hire  an up-and-comer and hit a homerun(Stoops/Meyer). Is it savvy that finds a Stoops or is it just plain luck? (By the way, I am not comparing Gus to a Super Bowl coach!!!)

I am certain that there are more examples of success stories and failures by up-and-comers and by experienced coaches that did not fit.

All of this is more or less a warning that we have no idea of what we are getting with ANY coach that we hire, short of Saban and a few others! We can only hope that those making the decision are both savvy AND lucky!

rtr

Barry Switzer was offensive coordinator at OU before being promoted to head coach, so was Bud Wilkinson for that matter.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.