8. Tom Herman, Texas — $5,486,316

9. Gary Patterson, TCU — $5,104,077

10. Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M — $5,000,000

ricepig

WilsonHog

Quote from: ricepig on November 21, 2017, 06:54:36 pm
Over paid lot, huh?

Market.

Even if I was a young guy like Norvell, for a P-5 job my price would start at $4 million a year.

cjack

I suspect whoever is next will be in the 4 - 5 million range.  If it's Gus, it'll be 6 unfortunately
Woooo Pig Soooie!

ricepig

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 21, 2017, 06:57:56 pm
Market.

Even if I was a young guy like Norvell, for a P-5 job my price would start at $4 million a year.

I think he'll be more $3.5m, but with Sexton?

NashvilleHog

Norvell at 3.5 plus incentives would be good for him.  Nearly double what he is making.

If we pay Gus 6 and then add at least 4 for assistants, that would be a +10 million/year for coaches salaries alone.  Does anyone seriously think we are going to shell out that kind of money for salaries?  I don't. 
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: NashvilleHog on November 21, 2017, 07:43:47 pm
Norvell at 3.5 plus incentives would be good for him.  Nearly double what he is making.

If we pay Gus 6 and then add at least 4 for assistants, that would be a +10 million/year for coaches salaries alone.  Does anyone seriously think we are going to shell out that kind of money for salaries?  I don't. 

The question is, who is really the right guy to get Arkansas back to competing at times for the SEC West and, what is that worth to the PTB to put excitement back in the program, put butts in the bleachers, $$$ being spent to support the program and money being spent to buy new Razorback gear?
Go Hogs Go!

NashvilleHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 21, 2017, 07:54:50 pm
The question is, who is really the right guy to get Arkansas back to competing at times for the SEC West and, what is that worth to the PTB to put excitement back in the program, put butts in the bleachers, $$$ being spent to support the program and money being spent to buy new Razorback gear?

If we are going to pay over 6 million (not happening), then we should go after someone like James Franklin.  He took the Vanderbilt job after Malzahn was too scared to do it and pulled off a miracle there.
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

RazorPiggie

If we pay Gus $6+ mil then he better win 9 games a year.

cjack

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 21, 2017, 08:18:25 pm
If we pay Gus $6+ mil then he better win 9 games a year.

I agree. Norvell is my first choice at 3 - 4 and most likely 4.  I don't see Gus coming without a king's power,money, and celebration. I like Gus a lot but I think we would have to over pay to get him.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Sapperhog

Rich Rod at $6M/year...just, wow.

ipigsooie

Quote from: Sapperhog on November 21, 2017, 09:06:37 pm

Thats what people will be saying about Gus in 3 years.

SchrodingersHog

November 21, 2017, 09:26:15 pm #12 Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 07:36:19 am by SchrodingersHog
Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 21, 2017, 06:51:44 pm
1. Nick Saban, Alabama —  $11,132,000

2. Dabo Swinney, Clemson —  $8,526,800

3. Jim Harbaugh, Michigan — $7,004,000

4. Urban Meyer, Ohio State — $6,431,240

5. Rich Rodriguiz, Arizona — $6,031,563

6. Jimbo Fisher, Florida State — $5,700,000

7. David Shaw, Stanford — $5,680,441

I know that the market determines value, but sometimes the market goes haywire for a while then sees a correction.

Tulip mania in Holland in the early 1600's.  Classic example of a speculative market.  "We have to get in now, before we get priced out of the market!"  Then BOOM, the market crashed and investors were left with really expensive tulip bulbs.

Are some of those coaches worth what they are paid?  Harbaugh?  Rodriguiz?  Sumlin?  Bielema?  Or are they just really expensive tulips?

Point is, there are some very good coaches out there making much less. 

The Kig

Quote from: ricepig on November 21, 2017, 07:04:14 pm

If he takes the job I think he will, $3.5M isn't close. 
Poker Porker

The Kig

Quote from: NashvilleHog on November 21, 2017, 07:43:47 pm

Not saying Gus is the right guy, but if we REALLY want to win, $10M is about right.  Otherwise, expect more of the same results. This is a GD arms race... Buying bottle rockets cuz they have the word rocket in them doesn't count. 
Poker Porker

jnhogs

JaketheSnake

Pay a coach if we want wins. I'm sure the UofA has an idea of what kind of return they need and what kind of rerun they will get with a certain number of wins per year, bowl appearances, how a 10 win season coincides with hat sales, etc. 

HoopS

I love the ultimatums.

If we pay such and such, so and so better win X.

Or what? You'll still be mad?

We will pay a very high salary to whomever we hire. Period.

gangstaback

Quote from: HoopS on November 22, 2017, 07:12:45 am
I love the ultimatums.
If we pay such and such, so and so better win X.
Or what? You'll still be mad?
We will pay a very high salary to whomever we hire. Period.

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 21, 2017, 06:57:56 pm

Quote from: The Kig on November 21, 2017, 09:35:14 pm
Not saying Gus is the right guy, but if we REALLY want to win, $10M is about right.  Otherwise, expect more of the same results. This is a GD arms race... Buying bottle rockets cuz they have the word rocket in them doesn't count. 

Ed Orgeron at LSU 9-2 , $3.5 MM
Paul Chryst at Wisconsin 11-0 , $3.25 MM
Mike Leach at WSU 9-2 , $3.0 MM
Brian Kelly at Notre Dame 9-2 , $1.63 MM

Outside of LSU, those other schools have to recruit outside of their geographical area and have some kind of recruitment constraints.

We don't have to pay inflated salaries. The OP's post should serve as a warning we have the 17th highest paid coach and don't have the results. Arkansas is not the only team making this mistake.

Arkansas should give the next coach a fair salary and the highest incentive in college football ... for example Kentucky did with Mark Stoops. $3.75 MM salary (22nd) and $3.1 MM incentive (2nd).

MuskogeeHogFan

I don't care what we pay a HC. Just get who we think is the right guy and make sure that his buyout is manageable in case we are wrong. But we doggone better make sure as possible that we get the right guy. We don't need to be going through this every few years.
Go Hogs Go!

WilsonHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 23, 2017, 10:09:44 am
I don't care what we pay a HC. Just get who we think is the right guy and make sure that his buyout is manageable in case we are wrong. But we doggone better make sure as possible that we get the right guy. We don't need to be going through this every few years.

Agreed. My hope is that our next coach is here for 10-15 years.

pigmania

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 21, 2017, 06:51:44 pm
1. Nick Saban, Alabama —  $11,132,000

2. Dabo Swinney, Clemson —  $8,526,800

3. Jim Harbaugh, Michigan — $7,004,000

4. Urban Meyer, Ohio State — $6,431,240

5. Rich Rodriguiz, Arizona — $6,031,563

6. Jimbo Fisher, Florida State — $5,700,000

7. David Shaw, Stanford — $5,680,441

Of all these coaches listed, I believe Gary Patterson has the best gig. 5.1 million per year without the constant fear of losing his job after a loss.

pigmania

Quote from: ricepig on November 21, 2017, 07:04:14 pm
I want to know what Sexton makes? The dude has been raping college athletic programs for years.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Sapperhog on November 21, 2017, 09:06:37 pm

I think that is primarily incentives for longevity.

A Summation:

The money, according to Sports Illustrated's Andy Staples, is just lovely by its lonesome. Rodriguez's new five-year contract will net him $2.2 million per season. This contract is also incentive-laced, including triggers like a $200,000 bonus for winning the Pac-12 South and a $1 million bonus for winning a national championship.

This is nothing groundbreaking, of course. Shoot-for-the-moon incentives have become a fixture in the coaching world, and the Rodriguez deal is no different. It's the other aspect of this contract, however, that could soon set a blueprint to follow, for better or worse. At one point in time, incentives were a trailblazing addition to coaching fine print. Now, such contract clauses could have company.

An Arizona donor has helped pad this deal further, offering up equity to Rodriguez, basketball coach Sean Miller and athletic director Greg Byrne. This "major university benefactor"—as outlined by the Board of Regents—has offered 500,000 units of a master limited partnership. Each unit is currently valued at $35.36 for a total of $17,680,000.

Rodriguez was granted 175,000 units of the 500,000, which equates to $6,188,000 right now. The only caveat for him to cash in on such options is that he has to stay at the school for eight years to receive this payout, whatever it becomes. If the price of the unit goes up in that time, his payout will go up; if the company struggles and the units drop in value, his payouts decrease.
This is my non-signature signature.