Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How much Latitude will we give our New Coach?

Started by WilsonHog, November 21, 2017, 11:41:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Before we start complaining and questioning the hire? For some of y'all, I figure about 10 minutes.

Me? I'm a three-year guy, absent any off-field issues that embarrass the program.

ricepig

Depends on how good a job he does "Calling the Hogs".....

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 21, 2017, 11:41:54 am
Before we start complaining and questioning the hire? For some of y'all, I figure about 10 minutes.

Me? I'm a three-year guy, absent any off-field issues that embarrass the program.

There are some deficiencies, but this is not a total rebuild. I expect us to win in year 1 and be in the hunt for championships shortly after. We return a lot of players next season from a team that underachieved.

davehog

Three years sounds about right to me.  Relatively speaking, the Razorback fan base is much more patient and realistic than MOST other schools in the SEC. I think the mean patience level of Razorback Nation is about where it should be. 

There are schools that the fans, and rightfully so, should have lower levels of patience - Bama, Texas, Southern Cal, Ohio St., LSU, Florida, FSU, due to inherent recruiting advantages.

But, there are other fan bases that think they are something more than they really are (overinflated ego) and that results in a much lower level of patience - #1 on the list by far is Auburn (that's why I still think Gus gives them the bird on the way out regardless of the outcome of the Iron Bowl), A & M, Tennessee, UCLA, Michigan, Nebraska, OU

East Clintwood

Depends on who it is.  Up and Comer gets a little more slack than an old retread.

Really it's more of the "feel" of the team rather than strictly number of wins/losses.  If they're playing hard and obviously making progress then the losses can be overlooked for awhile. 
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

a0ashle

3 years if for no other reason then we can't be a program that's always hunting for the next coach. Every new coaching search is like hard inquiry on your credit, too often and your score goes down.

HF#1

3 years to get things established, 2 more to achieve something of note.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Wildhog

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 21, 2017, 12:10:11 pm
Depends on who it is.  Up and Comer gets a little more slack than an old retread.

Really it's more of the "feel" of the team rather than strictly number of wins/losses.  If they're playing hard and obviously making progress then the losses can be overlooked for awhile. 

Pretty much this for me.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

RazorPiggie

We have everyone on Offense coming back next year except our QB and Center, both have been injured this year so their backups have gotten lots of playing time. We have several young guys on D and will only be replacing Jackson, Toliver, Liddell (no loss there IMO), and Richardson. But on the flip side we get Pulley back and both of our True Freshman CBs have gotten lots of playing time. Take that and the easier schedule we should be halfway decent next year.

Simple Swineman

Three years is the absolute minimum before you can even begin to assess performance.

Every coach should be allowed to have their own upperclassmen that they recruited. Years 3-5 is when they've got to show me something.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 21, 2017, 12:33:19 pm
We have everyone on Offense coming back next year except our QB and Center, both have been injured this year so their backups have gotten lots of playing time. We have several young guys on D and will only be replacing Jackson, Toliver, Liddell (no loss there IMO), and Richardson. But on the flip side we get Pulley back and both of our True Freshman CBs have gotten lots of playing time. Take that and the easier schedule we should be halfway decent next year.
Everything you say is true and one reason CBB wants another year.  He won't get it, but I expect a new coach could get 8 wins next year. Seven at the very least.

EFBAB

hogsanity

well since some started in on BB about 13 seconds after word leaked of his hiring, I would say less than 13 seconds.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: hogsanity on November 21, 2017, 02:04:19 pm
win what?

More than we lose. Does anyone on here seriously think we didn't underachieve this year?

The_Iceman

The roster has a lot of young talent, especially on offense. A coach like Norvell should win 7 games minimum next year.

The Boar War

I am for 3-4 years provided we have incremental growth and a visible plan.  Hogville is already divided to the point that the detractors will start on day 1.

MC_Hog

3yrs but I need to see improvement in the 1st year. In Petrino's 1st year Casey Dick improved from the 1st game to the last game, as did other players.

PorkRinds

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 21, 2017, 02:58:10 pm
The roster has a lot of young talent, especially on offense. A coach like Norvell should win 7 games minimum next year.

Yeah I think any decent coach could win 8 next year.

Non-con should be 4-0 with Mizz, Vandy and Ole Piss and A&M with new coaches. If Mullen leaves Miss State (I hope so) that could be another potential win.

HOGINTENNESSEE

RazorPiggie

Knot2brite

18 months for the average hog fan.....after that there will be some low level grumbling and if there isn't a national championship the grumbling will escalate to outright bitching and moaning and finally it will be full blown hatred and we will be right back where we started in about 36 months....the perfect Hog coach should only be here two seasons and leave because that is about as far as the average Hog fan will allow for if they don't get a national championship ...it is the circle of life for Arkansas football.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

nwahogs

10 minutes sounds long

grayhawg

Quote from: ricepig on November 21, 2017, 11:49:19 am
Depends on how good a job he does "Calling the Hogs".....
Yeah I could tell at the Dana Altman PC that it wasn't going to work.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 21, 2017, 03:10:01 pm
If it's Gus I'll give him none.

Same, Hogville sycophants keep telling me how he's one of the best coaches in college football, maybe all time. Should hit the ground running winning big time.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

HOGINTENNESSEE