Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hire Lane Kiffin - he has Arkansas Coaching Trees from more than one direction

Started by Rudy Baylor, November 18, 2017, 08:32:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudy Baylor

He was in Fayetteville at the ages of 2 to 4 when his dad was DC here for Lou Holtz

He was a quality control guy at the Jacksonville Jags in 2000 when Bobby Petrino was the QB coach and getting ready to be promoted to OC

And he worked under Pete Carroll at USC obviously, who goes back to the Frank Broyles line

Let's face it; Lane has made some mistakes in his career because he was extremely young to be getting the jobs he was getting. He's grown.

Hire him.

Hell, for the people halfassedly mentioning Skip Holtz, Skip will be fired in a year or two and could be an assistant for us for Lane. Holtz/Kiffin in reverse 40 years later.  :D

Hire this guy. And hell yes, accept his OC Briles Jr. Can't punish Junior for what his dad did.

King Kong

Rudy Baylor

gonna borrow True Blues post this morning - good stuff

Quote from: TrueBlue on November 18, 2017, 09:02:53 am
You have to take away the position coach changes for Kiffin - that is just the nature of the beast. Look at Arkansas.

We could get Kiffin for half of what we paid Bielema and have him earn his raises.

We would make a splash in the recruiting side of things and also get some national spotlight.

I have said it before he is a younger, better version of BP, look at FAU's offensive numbers this year.

It would be fun to be the talk of college football again.

BTW, he just ripped apart Louisiana Tech and Skip Holtz last week - it wasn't even close to a competitive game.

jrulz83

I'm on the Lane Train.

Also, I think I like this Rudy Baylor guy.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

BR

FAU locks up first-ever division title in Lane Kiffin's first season. 7-0 in conference, 8-3 overall.  Will play North Texas in Conf USA title game
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

JONAS

I don't have a problem with Lane.  He's not my first choice, but we could do worse. 

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: BR on November 18, 2017, 09:25:57 pm
FAU locks up first-ever division title in Lane Kiffin's first season. 7-0 in conference, 8-3 overall.  Will play North Texas in Conf USA title game

hiring Kiffin would be better than getting Petrino back

thebignasty

If its Kiffin or Gus, give me Kiffin.

Probably going to have to stop talking hogs with my dad either way.  He hates em' both
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

onebadrubi

If kiffin had success here in his first year like he is at FAU he will bolt because a big school would come calling.

PigInTheHole

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 18, 2017, 10:45:06 pm
If kiffin had success here in his first year like he is at FAU he will bolt because a big school would come calling.

you fix that with a contract
12/02/2017 Malzahn "I just said that I want to be the head coach at Auburn."

onebadrubi

PigInTheHole

I agree he's a flight risk and a buyout insures the Hogs.  Deal or no deal, he's an option. 

redeye

Kiffin was always in over his head, before Alabama.  But he now has a lot of experience and he'd recruit very well, so count me in.  Maybe Jerry would groom him here for the Dallas job in the future?

King Kong

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 18, 2017, 10:54:03 pm
I bet that he doesn't allow you to bind him to a school with a buyout

Then you don't sign him. But he would. He knows this is a big time job. That's why he tried to leave the Raiders for it.

And there aren't a lot of schools that can pay if he wins what we can and the ones that can most already have their coach

Really this is a weak argument. The reasons I mentioned above are why Dan Mullen has been at Miss State for 9 years

HogTakes

And his team posted 804 yards of offense in their previous matchup. Talk to Kiffin NOW

Quote from: BR on November 18, 2017, 09:25:57 pm

ur

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 18, 2017, 10:54:03 pm
I bet that he doesn't allow you to bind him to a school with a buyout
He has a buyout if he leaves at FAU of $2.5 million. Drops to 1.8 million year two so not sure the date on when that changes. Couldn't find the actual contract so had to take the journalist's word for these numbers.

NuttinItUp

Will have lots of hot chicks running around..

Also, the pressers will be gold.

Torqued pork

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Kiffin. I've let his loosey goosey personality overshadow his football mind to an extent.

I have no idea if the brass would seriously consider him.

BR

Last 15 games as a college football head coach:

Lane Kiffin: 10-5
Jim Harbaugh: 9-6

OrvilleRedenporker

I watched a good portion of FAU v Butch Davis and FIU last night.  Plus about 12 other college games yesterday. Lane KIffins offense was the best one I saw. Speed, execution, unpredictability. Lots of speed on the field and a well developed QB delivering bullets on time.

OrvilleRedenporker

Also time to change my avatar...someone told me to post less....so it's been Awile

Wooderson

Read this article and tell me this is someone you want as our head coach?  I wouldn't hire him in the mail room.  Has zero qualities that are enduring to Arkansas culture.  Had a beautiful wife and family and jacked that up.  Making 900k and wants a 5 million dollar house when hes a job hopper?  Might be as good as John L with his finances.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2016/12/28/lane-kiffin-alabama-usc-fau
Give me liberty, or give me death!

TheEnemy

Lane Kiffin would be my pick.  A P5 team is gonna pick him up in the next couple years and he is gonna build a winner.  Lot of programs are gonna look back and say we should have went after him.

B Ray

Quote from: TheEnemy on November 19, 2017, 09:20:33 am
Lane Kiffin would be my pick.  A P5 team is gonna pick him up in the next couple years and he is gonna build a winner.  Lot of programs are gonna look back and say we should have went after him.
I agree,he wants to build a dynasty at a P5 to prove everyone was wrong about him, he has already had his dream job.

jrulz83

Quote from: Wooderson on November 19, 2017, 08:20:10 am
Read this article and tell me this is someone you want as our head coach?  I wouldn't hire him in the mail room.  Has zero qualities that are enduring to Arkansas culture.  Had a beautiful wife and family and jacked that up.  Making 900k and wants a 5 million dollar house when hes a job hopper?  Might be as good as John L with his finances.

Makes me want him more.

He's evolved and matured as a person.

He'd be a great hire.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: Wooderson on November 19, 2017, 08:20:10 am
Read this article and tell me this is someone you want as our head coach? I wouldn't hire him in the mail room.  Has zero qualities that are enduring to Arkansas culture.  Had a beautiful wife and family and jacked that up.  Making 900k and wants a 5 million dollar house when hes a job hopper?  Might be as good as John L with his finances.

kind of sounds like rehiring Bobby Petrino

let's do it

onebadrubi

Quote from: OrvilleRedenporker on November 19, 2017, 07:17:37 am
I watched a good portion of FAU v Butch Davis and FIU last night.  Plus about 12 other college games yesterday. Lane KIffins offense was the best one I saw. Speed, execution, unpredictability. Lots of speed on the field and a well developed QB delivering bullets on time.

He understands offense in the manner of getting his talent in places they can excel. Few can do this alperently. 

Murr

TheEnemy

Kiffin is the one to....MAGA.

Get it done.  Lets be football forward and start rebuilding.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ur

HawgTide

Quote from: Kevin on November 19, 2017, 06:25:31 pm
he would be entertaining

It wouldn't be boring that's for sure. Entertaining yes, but short and ultimately unfulfilling

Jackson_64

Lane Kiffin.

And it is way closer to happening then you think.

Way closer.

PRJ

HornetHog

Lane train is already derailed , or at least it should be.  He is the kiss of death.  Wrong Coach for us in so many ways. He's been a joke every where he's been and now he's got a great RB at FAU when he's put together a passing offense for his first year, but has to run for success. He's crap and running on pure luck right now.

His dad on the other hand,...is a legend that is greatly missed from his coaching days on the hill.
Former Hog QB / National Private QB Coach QBFarm.com / Varsity HS Football Coach / Hog Fan since birth

King Kong

Quote from: HornetHog on November 19, 2017, 08:22:55 pm
Lane train is already derailed , or at least it should be.  He is the kiss of death.  Wrong Coach for us in so many ways. He's been a joke every where he's been and now he's got a great RB at FAU when he's put together a passing offense for his first year, but has to run for success. He's crap and running on pure luck right now.

His dad on the other hand,...is a legend that is greatly missed from his coaching days on the hill.

He finished 6th at USC one year. His current team is going to set the school record for wins at the DI Level next week. FAU has won 9 games the last 3 season. After next week will have won 9 this year.

That's not luck. Had 800 yards in one game against the next best team in the conference

TrueBlue

Quote from: HornetHog on November 19, 2017, 08:22:55 pm

Some of our fans are the kiss of death.

Read more, post less.

jrulz83

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

moses_007

So far Lane simply hasn't panned out as a coach in major college football.  He is a good assistant.

PigInTheHole

Quote from: moses_007 on November 19, 2017, 09:57:27 pm
So far Lane simply hasn't panned out as a coach in major college football.  He is a good assistant.

He's 42 and might be turning the corner, I wouldn't write him off yet

jrulz83

I think he'd be a homerun in hire and I used to completely abhor the guy.

I'm also not someone that changes opinions on people easily.

The guy is going to win big somewhere, probably Alabama when Saban retires.

247Hog

Petrino to UF
Kiffin to Ole Miss
Gus to Arkansas
Norvell to Tennessee
Def Coord Steele stays to run AU
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

HogTakes

Honestly would have been happy with Kiffin in 2007 (not knowing what I do now) and I think he is way better of a coach a decade later. Read the article linked above and he seems to have matured a lot. He says he wants to be at FAU a while, but who doesn't say that in the moment? Lane should be the FIRST offer we make.

BentonvilleJeff

I would hire Lane Kiffin on the spot if he would take the job. Good offensive play caller. Also his name recognition alone would be a plus in recruiting. He's also got an attitude that fits a head coach in a conference like the SEC.

King Kong

Quote from: 247Hog on November 19, 2017, 10:35:36 pm
Petrino to UF
Kiffin to Ole Miss
Gus to Arkansas
Norvell to Tennessee
Def Coord Steele stays to run AU

Kiffin won't take another job on probation and Auburn would never hire Steele as HC

Fl is historically cheap would be interesting would pay Petrino's buyout

hawaiianhogster

In my opinion Lane will not work out either. Get ready for big disappointment.

Norm Chow helped BYU (as OC) and USC (as OC under Pete Carrol) become legendary. Yet when he became head coach his teams failed miserably. He personally coached a few QB Heisman's through the college ranks.

Just because Lane has coached under some great coaches does not make him a great head coach.

King Kong

Quote from: hawaiianhogster on November 19, 2017, 11:31:27 pm
In my opinion Lane will not work out either. Get ready for big disappointment.

Norm Chow helped BYU (as OC) and USC (as OC under Pete Carrol) become legendary. Yet when he became head coach his teams failed miserably. He personally coached a few QB Heisman's through the college ranks.

Just because Lane has coached under some great coaches does not make him a great head coach.

Well. Norm was never the HC of a team finish in the top 6 or turn around an FAU program in year one.

Kiffin has done both before 43

BR

Quote from: moses_007 on November 19, 2017, 09:57:27 pm
FAU locks up first-ever division title in Lane Kiffin's first season. 7-0 in conference, 8-3 overall.  Will play North Texas in Conf USA title game....   I would say not too shabby....