Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who would like to see Arkansas in the big 12 ?

Started by pimpndistress, December 17, 2005, 07:24:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kuhog

Excellent points Corndo. I appreciate the statistics.

GrizzledHogFan

December 18, 2005, 02:48:42 pm #51 Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 02:53:50 pm by gmb_79
I agree that the SEC is the better conference, but I just can't bring myself to care about playing against SEC opponents.  Personally, I'd rather see us in the Big 12.  When's the last time you saw Hog fans get as worked up about playing an SEC opponent as they did before the last Texas game in Fayetteville?  Or maybe if we could switch SEC divisions with Vandy or something, that would work for me.  I get a lot more excited about playing Kentucky in basketball and Georgia, Tennessee, and Florida in football than anyone in the SEC West.  Maybe that's just me, though, and geographically it doesn't make a lot of sense as far as the divisions are concerned.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

dallashog83

My travel to the away games would be the only reason I would like to see a move to the Big 12

HairyHog

Stay in the SEC....  There is nothing to be gained by moving... 

If you want to win games... Get Big Time coaches for FB & BBall,

and while you're at it...  a new AD might help.

BigHog396

Quote from: kuhog on December 18, 2005, 12:02:00 pm
Arkansas in the Big 12 would be a perfect match - proximity to conference programs, list of rivalries, and better recruiting opportunities. And I don't agree with many poster's here mentioning that the SEC is far superior to the Big 12. Currently, the SEC has the advantage in terms of higher quality teams. This was a good year for the top tier teams in the SEC, and a tough year for the members in Big 12. However, they do have more teams going to bowl games, than the SEC. This tells me that the SEC was extremely weak in the lower half of the conference. Much weaker than the Big 12. Also, when arguing the superiority complex the SEC has, I look at the number of teams within the SEC that has played for a national championship since the induction of the Big 12. Since 1994, the Big 12 has represented 8 teams playing for the championship. 4 of which have won. With a possible 5th this year. The SEC is certainly comparable, but not far superior. I have also noticed that there are some years where the Big 12 is better than the SEC from top to bottom, but then there are years where the SEC is better. Never-the-less, these two conferences are actually pretty comparable in regards to talent, and competitiveness. And even though I would still give an edge to the SEC, it would not be an overwhelming advantage.

Come on, give us a break.  You REALLY think that OSU, Kansas, K State, Nebraska, Colorado, Iowa St, Missouri, and Baylor are even close to being able to compete in the SEC.  Other than Nebraska and K State way back, none of these teams would have EVER competed in the SEC. 

Everyone except Vandy and Kentucky has either been in the SEC Title game, or been competing for their divisional title within the past 7-8 years.  That should show you the difference in the competitiveness of the SEC vs. the Big 12.  The lower tier teams of the Big 12, and that is 8-9 of the 12, don't have a chance of doing anything on a national level.  However, in the SEC, the top 6 are nearly always ranked in the top 25-30.  To state that the SEC is "comparable, but not superior" is pretty much totally asinine.  I just don't understand where you get this "This tells me that the SEC was extremely weak in the lower half of the conference. Much weaker than the Big 12." crap, but you really have no clue if you believe that.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Kilgor

Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

juke

I'd like to be in the Big 12.  Geographically we fit better and more fans would go on the road.  It'll probably never happen, though.  However, I would like to see us schedule mid-tier Big 12 teams in football rather than ULMs.