Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What kind of offense do we run?

Started by jpsand, January 23, 2018, 05:48:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elksnort

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 23, 2018, 08:52:51 pm
We are shooting 49% from the field. Not bad for no offense.
I don't know the numbers but I would have believed a lot of that is generated from steals cheap points. But hey you get them how you get them the thing of it is that motion offense works it looks great but appeared a lot of times there was no motion

hobhog

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 23, 2018, 09:00:59 pm
What about knowing the limitations of your players. Some penetration ended with some made shots tonight, other penetration ended with Georgia stealing the ball in traffic and getting a run out. If we had penetrated and turned it over for an easy run out people would be smoking CMA on here. How about a 40% 3 point shooter being your best option, especially to defend against a potential game losing play.

You can run some screen and pick and rolls a few time just to see if anything opens up before that. Maybe throw it to high post occasionally and cut and see what happens? We just wait it out and shoot with clock winding down. Thank gawd Macon was friggin dead eye late.

k.c.hawg

We had a nice penetration late and a wide open Trey Thompson missed a 12' jump shot on the baseline. We have a couple of good guards, a good young center and guys that would be the 4th to 9th player on other SEC teams. We win or lose based on Barford, Macon, Gafford and hopefully not getting shut out on bench points. This game was low scoring enough that getting 23 points out of our supporting players was enough combined with 57 from our 3 Sr guards. People need to quit acting like this is some super talented team that is underachieving.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on January 23, 2018, 09:02:19 pm
I think we got the talent as well to be a elite 8. We have to improve our focus and chemistry. I'm not panicking because last year showed me basketball is a long season. We have to buy into playing some D tho. We looked better tonight
I agree with everything you stated. 

I don't remember two guards like Macon and Barford on the same team. We have to get them quality shots.  You do that by attacking the rim either by passing or penetrating causing the defense to collapse.  Then you shoot the lay up or kick it out to the open shooter.   

seasonhog

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 23, 2018, 08:44:59 pm
We may have won, but we are a better team than the way we are playing.  What irritates me is I feel we are wasting a very talented team.  We could be a sweet 16 or elite 8 team, but until we learn to play as a team we won't.  We won tonight because Macon got hot.  At the end, we were shooting very difficult shots.  The majority of the time these shots will not fall on the road.

Folks can get mad because we are complaining.  Some of us have been around long enough to know what good basketball is.  We are an elite program.  We should be playing like it, and we are not.

I agree!!!!     Ga did not play well tonight but out defense had something to do with that....

This team has to get Gafford the ball.....we were lucky that our outside shots were falling.

I think this team is lacking a good point guard that keep the team under control.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: hobhog on January 23, 2018, 09:05:44 pm
You can run some screen and pick and rolls a few time just to see if anything opens up before that. Maybe throw it to high post occasionally and cut and see what happens? We just wait it out and shoot with clock winding down. Thank gawd Macon was friggin dead eye late.

Every time Trey Thompson touches the ball it is being thrown to the high post. He's looking for a cutter or if someone doubles down kicking it back out for the 3.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 23, 2018, 09:09:18 pm
Every time Trey thompson touches the ball it is being thrown to the high post. He's looking for a cutter or if someone doubles down kicking it back out for the 3.

Trey is our best passér.  If the ball went through him, with cutter we would be a really good team.  It would be good to play Gafford down low with Trey

ShadowHawg

Quote from: elksnort on January 23, 2018, 09:02:52 pm
I don't know the numbers but I would have believed a lot of that is generated from steals cheap points. But hey you get them how you get them the thing of it is that motion offense works it looks great but appeared a lot of times there was no motion

The offense becomes stagnant when they aren't moving but that's true for any offense.

We do have issues with guys not moving at times for sure, but they do that against what MA teaches.

I just wonder if the people complaining watch games other than ours? Most of college basketball has moved away from sets in favor of movement and improvisation. I heard a guy talking about it during the Minn/Purdue game and how Nolan was one of the first to embrace it and how it has changed the face of college basketball.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 23, 2018, 09:14:27 pm
Trey is our best passér.  If the ball went through him, with cutter we would be a really good team.  It would be good to play Gafford down low with Trey

They played the two of them together more than any game I recall this year. Gafford did not look as aggressive as normal to me.

hobhog

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 23, 2018, 09:09:18 pm
Every time Trey thompson touches the ball it is being thrown to the high post. He's looking for a cutter or if someone doubles down kicking it back out for the 3.

Agreed. I'd love to see more of him at high and Gafford at low for that very reason.

rtr

Quote from: hobhog on January 23, 2018, 09:18:14 pm
Agreed. I'd love to see more of him at high and Gafford at low for that every reason.
This I agree with you.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

rude1

What kind does Ga. run? They have a pattern of choking away large leads and losing. Of course they play that great structured ball offensively so it works like a charm, well on some nights..................

seasonhog

Quote from: rtr on January 23, 2018, 09:18:45 pm
This I agree with you.

I also agree....don't know why Mike does not post Trey high....and use his passing skill.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 23, 2018, 08:53:39 pm
I saw one or two legit cuts.  I saw more dribble the shot clock to under 5 and throwing up a long 3.  Fortunately, Macon made them.  Won't happen often in the road. 

I would rather see lay ups and free throws when playing on the road.  They need to be more aggressive with the ball.

Watch Oklahoma

seasonhog

Quote from: rude1 on January 23, 2018, 09:22:17 pm
What kind does Ga. run? They have a pattern of choking away large leads and losing. Of course they play that great structured ball offensively so it works like a charm, well on some nights..................

Our guards match up with the Ga guards very well tonight....some games we have lost that was not the case.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: seasonhog on January 23, 2018, 09:09:02 pm

I agree!!!!     Ga did not play well tonight but out defense had something to do with that....

This team has to get Gafford the ball.....we were lucky that our outside shots were falling.

I think this team is lacking a good point guard that keep the team under control.
This team really misses Dusty's outside shot. He allows the inside to open for Macon/Barford  to drive to the lane finish or get to the Line. He would definitely help create room for Gafford to get the ball down low and finish at the rim
I love off season Football!!

k.c.hawg

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on January 23, 2018, 09:29:18 pm
This team really misses Dusty's outside shot. He allows the inside to open for Macon/Barford  to drive to the lane finish or get to the Line. He would definitely help create room for Gafford to get the ball down low and finish at the rim

Not only his outside shot, once he got guys diving out on him he would drive by and shoot that floater. I was just thinking about how much he took on last year earlier tonight. Made barford and Macon's work much easier.

hawgball40

40 minutes of mumbling to the assistants? (maybe a bit too lowbrow)

k.c.hawg

Quote from: hawgball40 on January 23, 2018, 09:41:38 pm

We know you are disappointed. You got slapped in the face tonight. Things arent going your way. Wait for a loss and comeback strong. Your game is weak right now. Hog fans are feeling pretty good.

rude1

Quote from: hawgball40 on January 23, 2018, 09:41:38 pm
Yeah we know, the ole gang had some of their best venomous scripted material lined up and ready to deliver, only the team ruined it by pulling out a win. Some have been smart enough to shelve it until the next loss, others have not been as smart........................

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 23, 2018, 09:25:57 pm
Watch Oklahoma

Probably works a little different when you have Young.  He is their best scorer and distributor.   The best scorer in the NCAA since 1990-91. Ours best distributor is Trey Thompson.  Our offense should run through high post with cuts to the goal instead of cuts to the top of the key. 

Pigsear

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 23, 2018, 08:20:36 pm
What kind of crap fans do we have ?

1. They hate the coach when he wins at home.
2. They hate the coach when he wins on the road.
3. They just hate the coach.

Find another team and get off this board so those of us who are HOG fans can. enjoy a win. I guarantee you when Bert was stinking it up the first few years this crap wouldn't have been allowed in MMQB. Why is it allowed with our basketball coach ?

This place is a sewer and needs to be cleaned up. You would hate me as a mod as much as you do Mike as a coach cuz I'd show most of you sorry punks the door.
I have no hate at all for Mike Anderson, I never met him. I just don't think he is a very good coach.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 23, 2018, 10:10:12 pm
Probably works a little different when you have Young.  He is their best scorer and distributor.   The best scorer in the NCAA since 1990-91. Ours best distributor is Trey Thompson.  Our offense should run through high post with cuts to the goal instead of cuts to the top of the key.

"You play to win the game"  Herman Edwards.

oldman1015

Arkansas, the left lane state.

hawgball40

Quote from: rude1 on January 23, 2018, 10:02:43 pm
Yeah we know, the ole gang had some of their best venomous scripted material lined up and ready to deliver, only the team ruined it by pulling out a win. Some have been smart enough to shelve it until the next loss, others have not been as smart........................
lol ok.

cram224

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 23, 2018, 08:29:10 pm
Unlike you I have been reading much longer than a week.
Did you have a brain fart that made you start posting?