Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 25, 2024, 02:36:04 am

Athlete in trouble

Started by cypress rock, November 17, 2017, 06:01:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cypress rock

40/29 reporting U of A student athlete being investigated for a bar incident on November 12

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Wildhog

Isn't that the same night Cole was arrested?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Tyrant Hog

It was bielema being drunk at rogers rec and Bruce from baldknob told bielema he is a garbage coach. Bielema left and one of the players intervened. Bielema should have been fired immediately after south carolina but long didn't do it and his head rolled

Sho Nuff

Hogindasticks

ur

Well, he is only 20. He got that liquor from someone or somewhere.

lunchbox72703

Three and Snout

The ABC is investigating, so I think it's the bar in trouble, not the athlete.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: Hogindasticks on November 17, 2017, 06:05:39 pm
boom!

You are happy about the idea that a player is in trouble?

Sorry that it's the bar that is in trouble not a player.

Sorry for your loss.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Wildhog

Quote from: ur on November 17, 2017, 06:06:13 pm
Well, he is only 20. He got that liquor from someone or somewhere.

That's what I'm thinking.  The rumor was that he was the one buying shots. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

factchecker

Threads like this makes it real easy to see who the real fans are.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

sowmonella

Quote from: factchecker on November 17, 2017, 06:10:10 pm
Threads like this makes it real easy to see who the real fans are.
Yes it does.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

bjeffersonhog

Not surprised @ which bar it is

factchecker

Quote from: sowmonella on November 17, 2017, 06:13:29 pm
Yes it does.

Seriously,  who celebrates the idea of one of our players getting in trouble?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

farmhawg

Low post trolls, they are everywhere.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

hoglady

I think the drinking age should be 18.
I know many say they are too immature.
Well - we view them as mature enough to be responsible in a court of law for their actions, to purchase property, to go fight our wars. If they can do all those things - it's ridiculous that it's illegal for a 20 year old to purchase a drink.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

OtterHog

Quote from: factchecker on November 17, 2017, 06:14:32 pm

People who aren't really fans, but just like to complain about everything and pile on.

Misery loves company.

Piggfoot

Quote from: hoglady on November 17, 2017, 06:17:33 pm
Well - we view them as mature enough to be responsible in a court of law for their actions, to purchase property, to go fight our wars. If they can do all those things - it's ridiculous that it's illegal for a 20 year old to purchase a drink.
we do agree on some things ;).
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

huntindoc

Ideally it should be a sliding scale.  I know several 50+ yo that arent old enough to drink responsibly.  Lol.

oldhawg

Right or wrong, here's a little history:

"Late 1960s and 1970s: Drinking age lowered. During the late 1960s and 1970s, nearly all states lowered the drinking age to 18. This led to a huge increase in alcohol-related car accidents and drunk driving was deemed a public health crisis. In the mid-1970s, 60 percent of all traffic fatalities were alcohol related, according to the National Institute of Health(NIH). Over two-thirds of car accidents involving persons aged 16 to 20 were alcohol-related."

"1984-2014: National drinking age raised to 21: In response to the drunk driving epidemic of the 1970s, President Ronald Reagan passed the Minimum Drinking Age Act in July 1984, a law that mandated states increase the drinking age to 21."

Tigaman

Someone had tweeted that Cole Kelley was at a bar a few hours before he was arrested. There was a thread on Hogville discussing it but both the thread and the tweet have been deleted. I assume that tweet started the investigation.

sickboy

Quote from: cypress rock on November 17, 2017, 06:01:52 pm
40/29 reporting U of A student athlete being investigated for a bar incident on November 12

Get this clickbait junk outta here!

HogHomer

Quote from: oldhawg on November 17, 2017, 06:34:57 pm

"Late 1960s and 1970s: Drinking age lowered. During the late 1960s and 1970s, nearly all states lowered the drinking age to 18. This led to a huge increase in alcohol-related car accidents and drunk driving was deemed a public health crisis. In the mid-1970s, 60 percent of all traffic fatalities were alcohol related, according to the National Institute of Health(NIH). Over two-thirds of car accidents involving persons aged 16 to 20 were alcohol-related."

"1984-2014: National drinking age raised to 21: In response to the drunk driving epidemic of the 1970s, President Ronald Reagan passed the Minimum Drinking Age Act in July 1984, a law that mandated states increase the drinking age to 21."
I know I wouldn't have wanted the guys I went to high school as a senior with making a judgement call on if they were sober enough to drive.

Salted Pork

Quote from: Tigaman on November 17, 2017, 06:35:53 pm
Someone had tweeted that Cole Kelley was at a bar a few hours before he was arrested. There was a thread on Hogville discussing it but both the thread and the tweet have been deleted. I assume that tweet started the investigation.

Yup, that was my thread and it got deleted. Don't know why.

hoglady

Quote from: HogHomer on November 17, 2017, 06:54:18 pm
I know I wouldn't have wanted the guys I went to high school as a senior with making a judgement call on if they were sober enough to drive.

But we have no problem with them strapping on a gun to fight our wars.
And we have no problem sentencing them to prison terms as adults.

It's either one way or other / we should either treat them as adults or treat them as kids.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

hoglady

There's been such a crack down and awareness campaigns on drunk driving since that time.
Back then even the police would pull you over and then follow you home.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hoglady on November 17, 2017, 07:17:44 pm

It's either one way or other / we should either treat them as adults or treat them as kids.
Give it up. The drinking age, at least here in Arkansas, is not going to be lowered.

Lady Razorback

Quote from: huntindoc on November 17, 2017, 06:24:21 pm
Ideally it should be a sliding scale.  I know several 50+ yo that arent old enough to drink responsibly.  Lol.

This is so true. 

Lady Razorback

Quote from: hoglady on November 17, 2017, 06:17:33 pm

I heard on the national news in the last week or so that there is a state trying to bring down the drinking age in their state.  Maybe it was Wisconsin?  I mean no joke intended. 

hoglady

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 17, 2017, 07:22:13 pm
Give it up. The drinking age, at least here in Arkansas, is not going to be lowered.

Of course it's not - it's a federal law.
If a state changed their law - they would lose federal funds.

Bkhardicars

Well, the good news, if BB was involved and publicly 3 sheets to the wind, would that be cause and save us a few million?

PharmacistHog

Any idea how you could still buy beer in louisiana at 18 as late as the 90's?  Never understood that but didnt complain.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

idochog

The only truth in this is Bielema is in fact garbage
I love Jesus!

AirWarren

Quote from: farmhawg on November 17, 2017, 06:16:04 pm
Low post trolls, they are everywhere.

Many posts losers, they are everywhere.

oldhawg

Please pardon the long monologue, I am really not preaching.

I agree with you, but there is a bit of irony there.  The quality that brands young people as "risks" if allowed to drink at an early age is the same quality that makes them heroes on the battle field.  They are all invincible and  indestructible, they don't give a second thought about putting themselves in harms way when the mission and situation call for it.  Give me the 18-22 year old any day over the 25-30 year old in an attack on a fortified position.  Heroes, all of them.  And yet, they also don't give a second about knocking back a few  and getting behind the wheel of a two ton guided projectile and hauling ass down the interstate.  Again, the feelings of invincibility and indestructibility.  Whatta do?  I speak as a 20+ year veteran.

Personally (although many disagree with me) I believe that in the case of the young soldier, they have earned the right to drink because with their experience comes some sense of responsibility, though not always expressed.  My feelings about young college students is not so certain, probably because I remember my irresponsible drinking days as a college student --- again with feelings of invincibility.  Plus, I have a close friend whose daughter (a college student many years ago) was walking across campus and had a drunk driver (another college student) jump the curb, run over her, and kill her.

Tough issues, and admittedly because of the issues outlined above, my sentiments vacillate.   

majestic

Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

thebignasty

Quote from: Wildhog on November 17, 2017, 06:09:32 pm
That's what I'm thinking.  The rumor was that he was the one buying shots.

I think that rumor is true

The Hawg Marshal

I don't know if it is still this way or not, but when I was in the military, you could drink at 18 on base.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: factchecker on November 17, 2017, 06:14:32 pm
Trolls who are not Arkansas fans

Piggfoot

The ABC has very little power to prevent selling of alcohol to under age patrons. The ABC Is requesting more clout but hasn't been successfully to date.
The first offense is only a $1000 fine and a misdemeanor. . A lot of money can be made before caught. Subsequent offenses may Be a felony with a much larger fine and loss of their permit.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

NuttinItUp

If you can die for the country at 18, you should be able to have a beer.

JMO

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 17, 2017, 07:45:10 pm
Any idea how you could still buy beer in louisiana at 18 as late as the 90's?  Never understood that but didnt complain.

It was like the old wild west.   Harolds for the win and cooter bay if you wanted to go all out.

Tortfeasor

Quote from: hoglady on November 17, 2017, 07:24:59 pm
Of course it's not - it's a federal law.
If a state changed their law - they would lose federal funds.

The federal act only states the age to purchase or public possess. They could follow Louisiana and make it 18 to drink alcohol.

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

bondhue

It was not a mandate.   It was a condition of aid.   See South Dakota v. Dole, 1987.  The federal government has no police power, and the 21st Amendment gives control over alcohol exclusively to the states.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.