Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How much should a new coach be paid?

Started by hogsanity, November 17, 2017, 03:03:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Knowing the avg salary in the secw is 4mil or so, how much should the Hogs pay the next coach? Lets look at this 2 ways. 1 how much should we pay any of the following:

Gus
Strong
Norvell
Frost
Leach

2. How much should we pay generic OTHER hire?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PorkSoda

Quote from: hogsanity on November 17, 2017, 03:03:10 pm
Knowing the avg salary in the secw is 4mil or so, how much should the Hogs pay the next coach? Lets look at this 2 ways. 1 how much should we pay any of the following:

Gus  - 6.5
Strong - 4
Norvell - 3
Frost - 3
Leach - 4.5

2. How much should we pay generic OTHER hire? 4
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

RME

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 03:47:37 pm
Gus  - 6.5
Strong - 4
Norvell - 3
Frost - 3
Leach - 4.5

$6.5 million for Gus? We'd pay Gus Malzahn enough to make him the 4th highest paid college football coach?

Please God no.

NuttinItUp

I like PorkSoda's numbers. I am voting for those.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

NuttinItUp

PorkSoda

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 17, 2017, 03:49:58 pm
$6.5 million for Gus? We'd pay Gus Malzahn enough to make him the 4th highest paid college football coach?

Please God no.
you got a better idea to get a NC caliber coach to arkansas?

he aint taking a pay cut and he already makes 5.7
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ricepig

TexasHog

They will pay too much like all the other big schools.

RME

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 03:54:38 pm
you got a better idea to get a NC caliber coach to arkansas?

he aint taking a pay cut and he already makes 5.7

Yeah. I'm good with passing on Gus completely.

hogfansince79

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

jcul28

Quote from: hogsanity on November 17, 2017, 03:03:10 pm

Gus-$4mil plus incentives
Strong-$1.5mil
Norvell-$3mil with incentives
Frost-$3mil with incentives
Leach-$0

2. How much should we pay generic OTHER hire?

PorkSoda

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 17, 2017, 03:56:33 pm
Yeah. I'm good with passing on Gus completely.
I get the feeling that he is the top target, but I also get the feeling that he will play us for a raise at auburn and we will move on to more realistic candidates.

RazorPiggie

We would be the dumbest fanbase if we paid Gus $6.5. He aint worth that.

Lady Razorback

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 17, 2017, 03:50:18 pm
I like PorkSoda's numbers. I am voting for those.

I think PorkSoda's numbers are good, too.  I think you can argue the merits of the individual coaches, but the comparative price tags are based upon experience, past results and demand at the current time. 

RazorPiggie

Gus $4m plus major incentives 
Strong $2.5 plus incentives
Norvell $3m plus incentives
Frost $3m plus incentives
Leach $3m plus incentives

Hawginj

Hawg Life

311Hog

tuition + room and board, maybe an additional small stipend.

Michael D Huff AIA

You pay what it takes to get your guy.  That number goes up every year.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 17, 2017, 04:10:48 pm
Norvell or Frost would be Awesome for $3M
yeah, I think that is a good bang for your buck deal that doesn't break the bank.

depending on who else is trying to get them, I could see up to 3.5 but not more than that.  keep in mind CBB came in with a pretty solid resume at 3.2

HogHolio

Base salary of $2.5 million.
$300k for every win over 6.
Then incremental bonuses for various levels of bowls.

aloha_kid

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 17, 2017, 04:01:57 pm

Wouldn't be the first time we've held that title.

GuvHog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 17, 2017, 04:01:57 pm

My thoughts exactly.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hawg Life

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 03:47:37 pm

So, we can hire Norvell & Frost for $500,000 less than Gus!!!
NO F"N way we should hire St. Gus for that amount!!!

Hawg Life

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 04:22:30 pm
yeah, I think that is a good bang for your buck deal that doesn't break the bank.

depending on who else is trying to get them, I could see up to 3.5 but not more than that.  keep in mind CBB came in with a pretty solid resume at 3.2

No Go on GUS!!!

Pancetta

As little as possible. This is kind of a ridiculous thread.
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

HF#1

With Gus, I think you match whatever Auburn is willing to pay him. See if the urge to come home is that strong.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

sowmonella

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on November 17, 2017, 04:18:21 pm
You pay what it takes to get your guy.  That number goes up every year.
This^^^^^^^
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 17, 2017, 04:28:04 pm
So, we can hire Norvell & Frost for $500,000 less than Gus!!!
NO F"N way we should hire St. Gus for that amount!!!
no [CENSORED] way he is coming for less than that.

if he beats bama and goes to the play offs, he is worth as much or more than harbough or meyer, who by the way are currently ranked lower than auburn.

the market price for a top tier coach is what it is.

if we want to stay a mediocre program, we should go with a budget hire like norvell.

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 04:33:30 pm
no [CENSORED] way he is coming for less than that.

if he beats bama and goes to the play offs, he is worth as much or more than harbough or meyer, who by the way are currently ranked lower than auburn.

the market price for a top tier coach is what it is.

if we want to stay a mediocre program, we should go with a budget hire like norvell.

If he Beats Bama and goes to the playoffs, he isn't coming anyway because Arkansas can't afford to wait that long.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

PorkSoda

Quote from: GuvHog on November 17, 2017, 04:36:48 pm
If he Beats Bama and goes to the playoffs, he isn't coming anyway because Arkansas can't afford to wait that long.
I agree we aren't waiting until after the play offs.  he will either come at the end of the regular season or we will move on.  I don't think that depends on whether he beats bama.  I think it depends on whether we can offer him enough money to get his attention.

younghog

I say if its a Top Quality coach.. 500k more than one he making currently

1.2 mill increase for every 10+ win season
GO HOGS

Rzbakfromwaybak

$350,000 for every win.  $500,000 bonus for a major bowl, another $500,000 bonus for 1st place, or tie for 1st place finish in SEC west.

BB's salary was way too high.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on November 19, 2017, 06:30:34 pm
$350,000 for every win.  $500,000 bonus for a major bowl, another $500,000 bonus for 1st place, or tie for 1st place finish in SEC west.

BB's salary was way too high.

So you are suggesting a Commission-Based Salary for the new HC? Would make them work harder hehe, but I don't think many would for for that model.

ipigsooie

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.