Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Long Did the Heavy Lifting. That is His Legacy.

Started by Porked Tongue, November 16, 2017, 10:25:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porked Tongue

I think you can make a great case that Long did what he was hired to do at the UA.

He came in after a legend in an era of booming money and transition.  He was involved and presided over unprecedented growth across all athletic programs at the UA.

Facilities were upgraded to the point of almost being ridiculous.

Both major sports had issues and he cleared up messes started by coaches he didn't hire.

Of course, he lacked a little tact and alienated some important people along the way.  Of course his lack of true support created a climate that would crumble on him once certain aspects of the athletic program failed to improve. Ultimately his hiring of BB and that lack of success brought about the opportunity to dismiss him. 

Yes there were other things not put out for public consumption but much of that is out there now.  Some of that would have NEVER been an issue if we were winning football games. BB was in trouble before the season and for sure after A&M.  But Long's patience with BB ultimately cost him personally.

But in retrospect, that Yankee did his job.  He made the mistake that many coaches do and that was staying too Long at the same place.

I'd argue he did a lot of successful heavy lifting and the groundwork is there with the right hire to use what Long helped build to form more cohesiveness with a lot more fans and boosters.

I think the time was right regardless of the non-public reasons.

In other words, it's time to win a lot more damn football games and this likely will help that happen.

idochog

The idiot could have accomplished a hell of a lot more had he presided over a strong football program.

Just see what winning has done for Bama
I love Jesus!

MikePiazza

This is a well-written post and it pretty much echoes my feelings exactly. Long did a lot of good things, a lot of not so good things, and he exits by leaving a strong OVERALL athletic department to the next guy.

The football program needs a total overhaul, however, and it is the cash cow. That's why Long is gone today. He will land on his feet and find another job and do well.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Porked Tongue on November 16, 2017, 10:25:53 pm
I think you can make a great case that Long did what he was hired to do at the UA.

He came in after a legend in an era of booming money and transition.  He was involved and presided over unprecedented growth across all athletic programs at the UA.

Both major sports had issues and he cleared up messes started by coaches he didn't hire.

Of course, he lacked a little tact and alienated some important people along the way.  Of course his lack of true support created a climate that would crumble on him once certain aspects of the athletic program failed to improve. Ultimately his hiring of BB and that lack of success brought about the opportunity to dismiss him. 

Yes there were other things not put out for public consumption but much of that is out there now.  Some of that would have NEVER been an issue if we were winning football games. BB was in trouble before the season and for sure after A&M.  But Long's patience with BB ultimately cost him personally.

But in retrospect, that Yankee did his job.  He made the mistake that many coaches do and that was staying too Long at the same place.

I'd argue he did a lot of successful heavy lifting and the groundwork is there with the right hire to use what Long helped build to form more cohesiveness with a lot more fans and boosters.

In other words, it's time to win a lot more damn football games and this likely will help that happen.
Very well put. If we are sitting here at 7or 8 wins right now, he is still the AD, Long did a ton of good building the infrastructure for an athletics program positioned well for sustained success. His downfall a little bit arrogance, but mostly his hand-picked FB coach failed him, and he didn't shake it up.

hamARchy in the USA

What did he do that any other individual who took the job during that time couldn't have done ?   At his most important job -- identifying great coaches -- he did poorly.   Yet he got paid way beyond his worth.

The U of A did much more for Long than Long did for the U of A.

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

sickboy

moses_007

I agree that he was a good administrator and built some tremendous facilities. But unfortunately he couldn't relate to the common fan and he wasn't too nice to the boosters and big money folks that made the program what it is today.  He stepped on a lot of toes in the process, and I suppose he was just too naive to realize what was happening to him in the process.  I think the fact that the stadium expansion grew from his original estimated $90 million to $160 million is what ultimately cost him his job.  A bean counter can't make that kind of mistake and keep his job.

BILLYBOB

Excellent post...
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

PygmalionEffect2

Quotehe lacked a little tact and alienated some important people along the way.

Quotecame in in an era of booming money

Quotecertain aspects of the athletic program failed to improve.

QuoteAt his most important job -- identifying great coaches -- he did poorly.

Quotethe fact that the stadium expansion grew from his original estimated $90 million to $160 million

I agree with the OP.

If we could have had 100 opportunities to hire someone better than Long during this time period, we could have never found a better A.D.

If was definitely the right hire at the right time for U of A.

Great thread.

:puke:

President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

ricepig

Quote from: moses_007 on November 17, 2017, 12:53:28 am
I agree that he was a good administrator and built some tremendous facilities. But unfortunately he couldn't relate to the common fan and he wasn't too nice to the boosters and big money folks that made the program what it is today.  He stepped on a lot of toes in the process, and I suppose he was just too naive to realize what was happening to him in the process.  I think the fact that the stadium expansion grew from his original estimated $90 million to $160 million is what ultimately cost him his job.  A bean counter can't make that kind of mistake and keep his job.

The $90m expansion and the $160m one aren't the same project, but I could see how that could confuse some.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on November 16, 2017, 10:46:52 pm
What did he do that any other individual who took the job during that time couldn't have done ?   At his most important job -- identifying great coaches -- he did poorly.   Yet he got paid way beyond his worth.

The U of A did much more for Long than Long did for the U of A.

So what current coaches (besides Football) would you replace:

Baseball
Basketball
Track & Field

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

WilsonHog

I was ready for a change and I'm happy one has come, but I see no need to disparage the man now. He oversaw the construction of some very nice facilities, and he was all class after his termination.

IronHog

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 17, 2017, 07:35:22 am
I was ready for a change and I'm happy one has come, but I see no need to disparage the man now. He oversaw the construction of some very nice facilities, and he was all class after his termination.

He didn't exactly fight hard for his job.

Long leaves looking good overall......he's far more calculating than y'all give him credit for....
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

NaturalStateReb

Following a legend, he lasted much longer than many would have.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hook 'em Hogs

You never want to be the man (Long) that replaces the man (Broyles), but someone has to.  Long did a great job in my opinion. Part of his job was to shake up the establishment as well. It's hard to keep friends when that's part of what needs to be done. His legacy will look better and better as we are separated from the emotions of it and can see it for what it really was. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: idochog on November 16, 2017, 10:34:46 pm
The idiot could have accomplished a hell of a lot more had he presided over a strong football program.

Just see what winning has done for Bama

If he's an idiot what does that make you?

trippigs

Very well said and I agree. However, the Yankee part was not needed.

Porked Tongue

trippigs

Quote from: Porked Tongue on November 17, 2017, 05:24:36 pm
It was tongue in cheek.

OK....it is just that it gets mentioned a lot and I think it just needs to go away. And I am a southerner...grew up in Pine Bluff, AR. Still, a well written expose'

rude1

I think he gets more credit than he deserves, he just happened to be sitting in the seat when the conference expanded it's footprint, created its own network and revenues jumped through the roof because of the television contract. The cash to do a lot of things that were needed became available for his use.

DeltaBoy

He did many of the same things at Pitt!
He left both Football  programs in shambles!
Worse he made Millions doing it!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Paul

He did a lot of good things. His mistake was a big one, though at the time pundits nationwide thought it was a coup

SchrodingersHog

Per usual, our fans are divided about the job Long has done here.  The bigger issue is how much, or how little, he is respected by schools outside the state.  If he gets a job quickly, with comparable or better pay, then he must be pretty well respected.  If he can't find another job, or has to settle for a small school, then maybe other schools weren't very impressed by his accomplishments here.  The market place is a pretty good way to determine value.  The same goes for CBB.

sickboy

Quote from: IronHog on November 17, 2017, 07:53:32 am

He didn't exactly fight hard for his job.

Long leaves looking good overall......he's far more calculating than y'all give him credit for....

Meh. I don't think that really matters any more than if a coach is calculating. At the end of the day, they're here to do a job. Sure, part of Long's job is to be a politician, but Long took over after a legend and managed to keep his job 10 years and accomplish some very positive things. That's not easy to do. Especially when so much of our fanbase think so of him as a yankee.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: rude1 on November 17, 2017, 05:54:43 pm
I think he gets more credit than he deserves, he just happened to be sitting in the seat when the conference expanded it's footprint, created its own network and revenues jumped through the roof because of the television contract. The cash to do a lot of things that were needed became available for his use.

Funny how he is ONLY responsible for the failures...none of the positives though...
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

DeltaBoy

The only true heavy lifting Long done is as a Carpet Bagger toting Millions out of the State after we finally saw through his stick as Mr Integrity!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

RME

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 17, 2017, 07:04:24 pm
The only true heavy lifting Long done is as a Carpet Bagger toting Millions out of the State after we finally saw through his stick as Mr Integrity!

Spend a lotta time looking at other men's sticks?

PorkSoda

Long did the job he was asked to do, the new AD will inherit a strong athletic dept and hopefully improve on that foundation.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HawgTide

Quote from: rude1 on November 17, 2017, 05:54:43 pm

This.   He didn't excel at hiring coaches, writing or approving contracts, relating to the common fan or keeping the big money happy. Good AD. Far from great.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 17, 2017, 07:04:24 pm

You're just so damn precious.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

jkstock04

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 17, 2017, 06:57:47 pm
Funny how he is ONLY responsible for the failures...none of the positives though...
What positives? He said himself hiring Petrino was his biggest mistake while here. Guess those years are out the window.

One perception of Longs legacy will go down as a guy who advanced his career at the expense of the football program. Of course that's just one perception. Others will say he took the athletic program to heights unlike anyone walking the planet could've done.

Will be interesting to see where he goes from here. If he is scooped up by a major D1 program and paid millions to run their program there will be some vindication by those who believe the later of the two perceptions. I'm betting that won't happen, we will see.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys