Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Audible

Started by Cmheinley, September 20, 2017, 10:08:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cmheinley

How much freedom does AA have to call one? Is he smart enough to read and call one? If the box is stacked or a safety is cheating down on a called run do we have the ability to make them pay? I couldn't force myself to rewatch that game, but what I remember seeing was absolute disrespect for our passing game which allowed TCU to roll the dice a good bit. I believe every team we play will use the same formula until we find a way to break that strategy.

Me Like Hogs

This has been one of my ongoing thoughts regarding AA. I'm not sure if he is able to, coaches not allowing it, or he is unwilling to change the play at the line. In so many instances it is obvious what the defense is doing and the play we run is just what they expected. It seems like BA was capable of calling audibles, especially during the second half of the 2015 season when our offense was on fire.

PorkRinds

Austin calls audibles people. Come on

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 20, 2017, 11:46:36 am
Austin calls audibles people. Come on

Hahahahaha!!!The fact that you have to say anything about this post is even funnier.  What P5 Major CFB Senior starting QB being evaluated for the NFL doesn't have the luxary to audible out of a play?!?!  Heck, I was a QB in HS and had the choice of changing a play before the offense is set. 

I like the post though and can't wait to see what is going to be said about AA...

Cmheinley

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 20, 2017, 11:52:34 am
Hahahahaha!!!The fact that you have to say anything about this post is even funnier.  What P5 Major CFB Senior starting QB being evaluated for the NFL doesn't have the luxary to audible out of a play?!?!  Heck, I was a QB in HS and had the choice of changing a play before the offense is set. 

I like the post though and can't wait to see what is going to be said about AA...

I honestly have no intention of attacking AA. He has been really impressive at times. I really am just that dumb concerning offensive strategy. I know we see audibles from time to time, but I guess that's why i was reaching out to some of the Hogville OC's. Could a bigger bag of tricks equate to more second half production? Other than the OL run block follies, boneheaded play calling, WR's not getting open, et cetera, is there anything else that we're not executing that could lead to more production? I know this is a hard question to answer, but how often does a well called audible lead to a big play per game? As an uneducated, die hard fan, I have a lot of questions regarding the anemic offensive performance of late. Someone pump me with some knowledge so i will know what to be looking for during our next game. TIA!

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 20, 2017, 11:52:34 am

Any QB that's played for Awbren since the Gus Bus took over.  In fact, the entire offense has to look toward the sideline for the audible when the defense shifts.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: Cmheinley on September 20, 2017, 02:03:44 pm
I honestly have no intention of attacking AA. He has been really impressive at times. I really am just that dumb concerning offensive strategy. I know we see audibles from time to time, but I guess that's why i was reaching out to some of the Hogville OC's. Could a bigger bag of tricks equate to more second half production? Other than the OL run block follies, boneheaded play calling, WR's not getting open, et cetera, is there anything else that we're not executing that could lead to more production? I know this is a hard question to answer, but how often does a well called audible lead to a big play per game? As an uneducated, die hard fan, I have a lot of questions regarding the anemic offensive performance of late. Someone pump me with some knowledge so i will know what to be looking for during our next game. TIA!
Ok, AA has been seen calling his own audible on either read option plays (FB / TB or TE quick pop) or passing plays that IF he sees 1 on 1 coverage or a blitz he can audible out of the WR's route or blocking protection calls (which is normally made be the center when AA calls and audible).   

Now I've never seen him audible out of those dumb Jet Sweeps to the short side of the field when the defense is literally stacked to that side.  The play is designed to get the defense moving in the opposite direction and with a shield blocking scheme to keep defenders from reversing direction and getting back in position.  This play is so slow developing that defenders literally stay home and react.  This is the play I wish AA would audible out of the most.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: The Chief on September 20, 2017, 02:07:02 pm
Any QB that's played for Awbren since the Gus Bus took over.  In fact, the entire offense has to look toward the sideline for the audible when the defense shifts.
Hahahaha!! I see what you've done there...$Cam was a freak of nature but had the most simplistic calls of any offense ever!!!

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Cmheinley on September 20, 2017, 02:03:44 pm

Ok here are a few things to look for this week, that Will help answer your question.

1. How much time is on the play clock when we get to line of scrimmage? If the play clock is single digits when get lined up, it's difficult to get your read on the defense, and check out of the called play.
2. If you see AA looking to sideline before the huddle, and he is giving a rolling motion with his hand, it means he needs the play quicker so he can get it called and get to LOS with enough time on the play clock to audible if necessary.
3. If we get to the LOS, and it looks like the defense is scrambling to get into a different coverage, after we are set and AA is trying to hurry, there is a good chance that they know we just audible d to something they aren't ready for.

I heard Clint Stoerner say on BO's show, that he believes AA has all the freedom he needs to check out of plays when he sees fit. But we have to give him the time to do it, that means the play has to called and signaled in from the sideline, and any substitutions have to made in a hurry or we won't have enough time to change anything at the LOS.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Cmheinley

Thanks so much Gunner and Woodrow. I know it may seem elementary to some, but this is great information for me. Even with my low level working knowledge I've been telling my SO to watch this jet sweep go for a whopping -2 yards. Thanks again guys and as always, WPS!!