Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anderson: Is this the standard for our program?

Started by Porked Tongue, March 16, 2018, 10:00:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porked Tongue

March 16, 2018, 10:00:08 pm Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 10:17:49 pm by Porked Tongue
I hate to seem like I'm piling on because it certainly does look like it as I type this.

I've said for a few years and it seems the right to repeat it.  Anderson's high water marks are not high enough.  A lot is made of his "no losing seasons" mantra but that doesn't give him a free pass to wallow just above the curve.  The argument is the last few years were his best years and what is the sum total of that success?

No conference titles
No conference tournament titles
2 NCAA wins.  Wofford by 3(2015) and Seton Hall (2017)

All our problems with grades and stuff are gone.
Practice facility built.

It doesn't take that long to have true success in college basketball.  He's flipped his lineup more than 3 times.  He did a great last ditch effort to save himself by getting quality out of the JUCO 2 years ago but even then it didn't max out.

I'm tired of hearing about next year and what talent is coming.  You won't convince me that the talent will ever equate to a higher level of success.

He's a good guy. Does things the right way.  But that only goes so far.

We've seen the max.  It ain't good enough.

AirWarren

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 16, 2018, 10:00:08 pm
I hate to seem like I'm piling on because it certainly does look like it as I type this.

I've said for a few years and it seems the right to repeat it.  Anderson's high water marks are not high enough.  A lot is made of his "no losing seasons" mantra but that doesn't give him a free pass to willow just above the curve.  The argument is the last few years and were his best years and what is the sum total of that success?

No conference titles

Practice facility built.

It doesn't take that long to have true success in college basketball.  He's flip his lineup more than 3 times.  He did a great last ditch effort to save himself be getting quality out of the JUCO 2 years ago but even then it didn't max out.

I'm tired of hearing about next year and what talent is coming.  You won't convince me that the talent will ever equate to a higher level of success.

Honestly. I just want to see ball movement inside the three point line. I've never seen a team just hang out on the three point line we do.

Porked Tongue

I don't the buyout is a factor in this either.

If the new AD gets a notion to change things, he'll get the money.  Trust me.

BannerMountainMan

I've said for a few years and it seems the right to repeat it.  Anderson's high water marks are not high enough.  A lot is made of his "no losing seasons" mantra but that doesn't give him a free pass to willow just above the curve.  The argument is the last few years and were his best years and what is the sum total of that success?

No conference titles

Practice facility built.

It doesn't take that long to have true success in college basketball.  He's flip his lineup more than 3 times.  He did a great last ditch effort to save himself be getting quality out of the JUCO 2 years ago but even then it didn't max out.

his best year has been an elite eight and a sweet sixteen
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Porked Tongue

Quote from: AP85 on March 16, 2018, 10:02:30 pm
Honestly. I just want to see ball movement inside the three point line. I've never seen a team just hang out on the three point line we do.
I can't even hardly talk about the lack of fundamentals and adjustments.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 16, 2018, 10:04:16 pm
Was it for your favorite team?

(not even close to being relevant at this point)

bkjbearcat

But none of that is at Arkansas.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

hogwood

I really thought with our draw we could get to the sweet 16 or elite 8 and that would be about our max. Now I don't know. Hard to see having a better product next year or maybe even the year after. 2 more years until we have this much talent and experience? Deflating...

porkinsons disease

No conference titles

Practice facility built.

Nailed it. Unfortunately to some,his overall record as well as 3 tourneys in 7 years is enough .
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

ballz2thewall

this team is loaded with talent.

and the coaching never seems to matter. after a period of time it is clear that the team plays on it's own terms. i'm not on the bench or at practices, but that's sure how it looks.

i posted at the beginning of the season something to the effect of "be happy now, cause anderson will get flat out-coached when conference hits. "

that post was trashed.

mid season i quit watching the games. i kept up with them but didn't watch them. likewise, i had no anticipation going into the tourney. there's no point. call it fair-weather if you like but that is my privilege.

nolan or eddie would have taken over the town with this team. anderson doesn't have it. never will. 
The rest of the frog.

HogBreath

I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Breems

It nagged me all season that we weren't accomplishing anything of significance besides beating TN in OT and FL on a neutral court. We also lost BIG to most great teams we played.

I put those thoughts on the backburner because we did enough to make the NCAAT again, but we met a solid team and were blown out again.

This was a picture perfect Mike Anderson team. The talent was there. The pieces all fit. But all season, we saw the same issues with terrible defense and shot selection. Players looked like they had no direction on what to do when Macon and/or Barford didn't have the 1-on-1 advantage.

I just don't believe anymore. Next season is going to suck.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Breems on March 16, 2018, 10:28:20 pm
It nagged me all season that we weren't accomplishing anything of significance besides beating TN in OT and FL on a neutral court.
Hey, those are high water marks!

Oliver

I've said for a few years and it seems the right to repeat it.  Anderson's high water marks are not high enough.  A lot is made of his "no losing seasons" mantra but that doesn't give him a free pass to wallow just above the curve.  The argument is the last few years were his best years and what is the sum total of that success?

No conference titles

Practice facility built.

It doesn't take that long to have true success in college basketball.  He's flipped his lineup more than 3 times.  He did a great last ditch effort to save himself by getting quality out of the JUCO 2 years ago but even then it didn't max out.

Couldn't agree more.  But nothing is going to be done about it

Hoggiedawg

RazorPiggie

Mr. Porkleone

Well said pork. CMA will not get us to any SEC or NCAA titles

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Oliver on March 16, 2018, 10:39:53 pm
It might not be immediate, but for the first time I believe serious thoughts are in that direction.

Oliver

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 16, 2018, 10:53:15 pm
It might not be immediate, but for the first time I believe serious thoughts are in that direction.

I'm sure expectations will drop accordingly next year to accommodate an even poorer season. 

But I hope you are right and the change will come ASAP

rude1

The 7 seasons of poor recruiting has kept success at basically just making the tourney a few times. What we are seeing now once again is the program seemingly stuck in "start over" mode, as we look to start over next year just as we did last year when he brought in the jucos and transfers to make the best of his roster.

Before that he was starting over from Pel's players to "his" players. Now we get to start over with his latest group of players while we get the "we are young" excuse while we are getting our asses handed to us. I know I don't get a vote on this thing but I am tired of "starting over" after having gone no where, I would prefer to "start over" by going in a different direction from the HC position.

alohawg

Quote from: Oliver on March 16, 2018, 10:58:05 pm
I'm sure expectations will drop accordingly next year to accommodate an even poorer season. 

But I hope you are right and the change will come ASAP

I'm afraid the only change will be in fan interest.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Oliver

Quote from: alohawg on March 16, 2018, 11:05:57 pm
I'm afraid the only change will be in fan interest.

I don't see how that's not already the case

donbro

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 16, 2018, 10:06:24 pm
Was it for your favorite team?

(not even close to being relevant at this point)

Quit whining and grow a pair.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 16, 2018, 10:53:15 pm

So you think he may be nudged into resigning/retiring ?

batmanfan

Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

jst01

Quote from: Oliver on March 16, 2018, 11:07:16 pm
I don't see how that's not already the case

Yep. I'm out on hoops. I bought into the hype and thought it could be different. Fooled me again. Never again tho. Mike will never be more than a 'great guy that is a ok coach'.

moses_007

We are an indoor track and cross country school.  No other sports are relevant anymore.

Breems

Quote from: moses_007 on March 16, 2018, 11:15:40 pm
We are an indoor track and cross country school.  No other sports are relevant anymore.

We do baseball stuff sometimes.

WoePigSooie

Breems

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 16, 2018, 11:20:17 pm
Here was what I stated 2 years ago:
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=609610.msg10196185#msg10196185

Thankfully the neighborhood is building their houses higher and higher. I don't think we're stuck here.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 16, 2018, 11:20:17 pm
Here was what I stated 2 years ago:
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=609610.msg10196185#msg10196185

Reply 3 😊

Today was so far from excusable.  Yet I'm sure our soft media and many fans won't call him on it.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

howie76

lol... watch baseball much?

hogsanity

This is EXACTLY what a few of us said the program would look like under Mike Anderson. Just good enough for him to stay employed.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

AirWarren

Bingo.

AirWarren

Quote from: hogsanity on March 16, 2018, 11:39:15 pm
This is EXACTLY what a few of us said the program would look like under Mike Anderson. Just good enough for him to stay employed.

No sec titles.
No national titles.

Seem right on track with everything else.

Porked Tongue

Just seems like we have enough going for us that we should do better.  There is always a good mix of talent in state and nearby in metro areas.

A good coach can make adjustments.  Real adjustments.  Not just change verbiage.

But to get right down to it, we don't have a coach.  We have a philosopher with a worn out philosophy.

hawginbigd1

I keep trying to stay on the bandwagon, but yesterday is just another game where we began with 0 intensity and 0 defense, and it pretty much stayed that way for most of the game! That is a coaching problem, that has become an acceptable way to perform and they run it out there just about every game, some times they get away with it because of great shooting or they are playing an inferior talent team. CMAs teams have never had a losing season! At Arkansas his teams have never had a season where they didn't underachiever either! Time to move on!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 17, 2018, 09:04:21 am
Just seems like we have enough going for us that we should do better.  There is always a good mix of talent in state and nearby in metro areas.

A good coach can make adjustments.  Real adjustments.  Not just change verbiage.

But to get right down to it, we don't have a coach.  We have a philosopher with a worn out philosophy.

Hell yes we should.  This is still one of the top four jobs in the SEC.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Inhogswetrust

A responsible media member should ask "Mike your teams since you've been here can't seem to win a conference or advance in the tournament except once in seven years. Why do you think that is and what do you plan to do to change that?"
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

GuvHog

Jeff Long was Mike Anderson's safety net. As Long as Jeff Long remained the AD, Mike's job as Head basketball coach was secure.

Late last year that safety net was cut down and things have changed. He isn't likely to be fired this year but if things don't improve greatly, it will eventually happen and possibly sooner than some think.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Sow Lancelot

IMHO, CMA's biggest weakness is his insistence on an almost exclusive motion offense. A team with guards athletic enough to hound our guards always gives us serious problems on the offensIve end.

He has got to install some set offensive plays that allow us to revitalize the offense when it is stagnant.

Hopefully, our guards next year will be 50% trying to score and 50% driving to create opportunities for others.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

jgphillips3

Mike is a "good" coach.  He has produced "good" results.  We have had a mediocre coach and a terrible coach before him.  The next time we have a line on a Bill Self level coach, I'd be fine with making a change but I don't want to change just to change.  We are back in the dance most years and we don't want to go back to not being in the dance because we took a risk.  Personally, with all this FBI stuff, I don't think we should make any change until we see who is clean and who is not and what, if anything, will happen to college basketball as a result of it.  However, if we get a line on a great coach, I'm open to it.

HogRealism

Quote from: Oliver on March 16, 2018, 10:39:53 pm

Ditto... The Arkansas athletic department has always sought to create a football culture for years under Broyles and even worse the last 20 (ie the basketball hires since Coach Richardson)...In reality Arkansas remains a "wanna be football state" to the rest of the country (one top 10 finish and a 7-15 bowl record in the last 35 years)... As far as basketball everyone pretty much knew Mike Anderson had accomplished everything he was going to accomplish but after the debacle of Heath and Pelphrey...Anderson was a quick fix because he knows how to win just not enough to do any more than he already has but enough to keep the basketball fans of the state somewhat satisfied... I think Mike Anderson is a quality person and good coach but the basketball team yesterday was poorly prepared as reflected in effort and execution... The days of national respect under Coach Richardson of top 10's, final fours and national championships aren't coming back any time soon in the matrix of this wanna be football culture.

Locutus_of_Boar

Well said.

Michael Andre Anderson's first, best fate was to be a career assistant to one specific coach with one specific style and personality.  He did that for as long as he could and he was very successfult at what he did in those years but only because he was working in tandem with NR.

Forced out by NR's fall he was successful at UAB and more modestly so at Missou.  Then fate intervened again and to make peace with NR and his fans Long brought Anderson back on the long-shot hope he could rekindle the past.  Instead the more logical results happened:  Anderson effectively became a glorified assistant keeping the head coach's seat warm for a coach who will never walk that sideline again.

Anderson probably hopes he can ride out that situation to retirement but when the SEC Network brought in the revenue that started the current SEC BB coaches arms race that went out the window.

By the late 1990's even Nolan Richardson could no longer be successful at Nolan Richardson Basketball.  Twenty years on, unless he's soon eased out gracefully, Mike Anderson the last disciple will be there to see it come to a very bitter end.

old_school_hawg

Yes. But i don't give a shirt about that. It wasn't here. (I know you're just sayin', I'm not trying to pick a fight). I'm just way beyond ready for results here.
"I tried being reasonable. I didn't like it."-Clint Eastwood

"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on March 17, 2018, 11:30:39 am
Well said.

Michael Andre Anderson's first, best fate was to be a career assistant to one specific coach with one specific style and personality.  He did that for as long as he could and he was very successfult at what he did in those years but only because he was working in tandem with NR.

Forced out by NR's fall he was successful at UAB and more modestly so at Missou.  Then fate intervened again and to make peace with NR and his fans Long brought Anderson back on the long-shot hope he could rekindle the past.  Instead the more logical results happened:  Anderson effectively became a glorified assistant keeping the head coach's seat warm for a coach who will never walk that sideline again.

Anderson probably hopes he can ride out that situation to retirement but when the SEC Network brought in the revenue that started the current SEC BB coaches arms race that went out the window.

By the late 1990's even Nolan Richardson could no longer be successful at Nolan Richardson Basketball.  Twenty years on, unless he's soon eased out gracefully, Mike Anderson the last disciple will be there to see it come to a very bitter end.

He was very successful at it?  He was barely above Notes when the program was built.  And lead asst when it went down.  Nolan's coaching tree is a damn tumbleweed for a reason. Notice how coveted Mike's assts are.

Any other coach at Arkansas would be catching absolute hell after yesterday. 

Earth Hog Fan

No conference titles

Practice facility built.

Great Post, I am so glad somebody finally said it, 7 years lack of recruiting at a high level and inept coaching has doomed this Razorback Basketball team. It is past time for a change.  GO HOGS!
I had never heard of Musselman. But he's a teacher, demands discipline and builds from the defensive end first. I want our football coach to be just like him."

247Hog

No conference titles

Practice facility built.

Exactly. I appreciate he does things the right way. However, many other coaches are doing it the right way too and having better success at a school with less tradition.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan