Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So I guess Georgia

Started by HiggiePiggy, January 01, 2018, 08:27:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HiggiePiggy

Did the right thing in getting rid of Richt.   They are finally playing for a national championship. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Bubba's Bruisers

I agreed with this when it happened.  He's a very good coach, but he's vanilla.  Always fields a good team, but one that's never great in any phase of the game, which you have to be to make any real difference.  He never quite lived up to the talent he signed.

And Showed up again in Miami's bowl game this season.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

TNhawgfan

Smart looks like the real deal two years in
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Atlhogfan1

Yes. And they will be this good for a while with how they are recruiting.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

rtr

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 01, 2018, 08:31:19 pm
Yes. And they will be this good for a while with how they are recruiting.
No school has the built in recruiting advantage that Georgia has.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

I readily admit that for years I have believed Richt was a top 5 coach.  He is still good but not top 5 and never was.

I had Georgia wining this game but I never felt they would have to work this hard.  OK was one of those teams that refused to lose.  Came in with less overall talent but likely the bigger no quit, no matter attitude.  Both teams deserved to win. 

hoglady

Jim Chaney did a heck of a job tonight.
Really good play calling and he's done a fine job with a true freshman QB.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Dirty

Quote from: hoglady on January 01, 2018, 08:35:44 pm

So what happened here?

Peter Porker

Really? How many yards a carry were they averaging? And how many times did they run it?
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Dirty on January 01, 2018, 08:37:21 pm
So what happened here?

Well Bret Bielema is really what happened. Then not getting George McDonald in as a WR coach and settling for Michael Smith didn't help either. Smith was an "alright" recruiter, but his skills as a WR coach were barely over Sunbelt standards.
This is my non-signature signature.

hoglady

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 01, 2018, 08:38:01 pm
Really? How many yards a carry were they averaging? And how many times did they run it?

So you think Chaney called a bad game tonight??

They scored 54 points tonight - so I think he did a great job.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

HiggiePiggy

Lol. He was the cause for the first half.  17 passes in the first half and only 11 runs when your RBs were averaging over 15 yards a carry. He is the biggest reason the game was so close.  If he wasn't so dumb in that first half the game would have not gotten to OT. 

hawginbigd1

Quote from: hoglady on January 01, 2018, 08:40:05 pm
So you think Chaney called a bad game tonight??

They scored 54 points tonight - so I think he did a great job.
At times yes, and at others no.

hoglady

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 01, 2018, 08:41:03 pm
Lol. He was the cause for the first half.  17 passes in the first half and only 11 runs when your RBs were averaging over 15 yards a carry. He is the biggest reason the game was so close.  If he wasn’t so dumb in that first half the game would have not gotten to OT. 

Well - Kirby Smart doesn't agree with you.
As he said at halftime our offense is the only thing keeping us in the game.
When your defense allows Oklahoma to score 5 out of 6 possessions - you're probably going into halftime behind.

hoglady

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 01, 2018, 08:41:03 pm
Lol. He was the cause for the first half.  17 passes in the first half and only 11 runs when your RBs were averaging over 15 yards a carry. He is the biggest reason the game was so close.  If he wasn’t so dumb in that first half the game would have not gotten to OT. 

Dumb Offensive coordinators don't play for National Championships.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hoglady on January 01, 2018, 08:45:06 pm
Well - Kirby Smart doesn't agree with you.
As he said at halftime our offense is the only thing keeping us in the game.
When your defense allows Oklahoma to score 5 out of 6 possessions - you're probably going into halftime behind.

Was to be expected.  Easily the best offense they've faced all season.  But champions make the adjustments, and did they ever do that on defense.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

HiggiePiggy

Kirby smart isn't going to throw his coaches under the bus.  17 passes compared to 11 runs.  Then you see the second half plus overtime where they don't throw more than they run. He was told at halftime to quit with the cute crap and run the damn ball more.  Only had 12 passes and 23 rushes in the second half/overtime. 

hoglady

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 01, 2018, 08:47:46 pm
Was to be expected.  Easily the best offense they’ve faced all season.  But champions make the adjustments, and did they ever do that on defense.

Yes they did.

hoglady

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 01, 2018, 08:48:38 pm
Kirby smart isn't going to throw his coaches under the bus.  17 passes compared to 11 runs.  Then you see the second half plus overtime where they don't throw more than they run. He was told at halftime to quit with the cute crap and run the damn ball more.  Only had 12 passes and 23 rushes in the second half/overtime. 

He had no problem throwing his defensive coaches under the bus at halftime.
In fact, said the coaches had done a lousy job on the defensive side of the ball in preparing the players.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 01, 2018, 08:45:01 pm
At times yes, and at others no.

Oklahoma was loading 8 in the box. They ran the ball well when the defense showed blitz or made alignment errors. Fromm did a real good job of identifying inconsistencies in the OK defensive alignments and made them pay for it.

Throwing their way out of 8 in the box was the absolute right thing to do. Fromm played like a senior most of the night.

IronHog

Quote from: Dirty on January 01, 2018, 08:37:21 pm
So what happened here?

Nothing

BB ran him off and it was downhill from there
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

NuttinItUp

Was a good move for Richt and GA.

jkstock04

A lot of noise that Georgia was dumb and made a huge mistake getting rid of Richt. Looking like everyone who beat that drum were wrong.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hoglady

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on January 01, 2018, 08:52:35 pm
Oklahoma was loading 8 in the box. They ran the ball well when the defense showed blitz or made alignment errors. Fromm did a real good job of identifying inconsistencies in the OK defensive alignments and made them pay for it.

Throwing their way out of 8 in the box was the absolute right thing to do. Fromm played like a senior most of the night.

It's hard to believe that kid is a true freshman.

nesjunk

Georgia is recruiting lights out.  They will be the Beast of the East for the next several years.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on January 01, 2018, 08:52:35 pm

There is more to playcalling than just the play, formation and personnel grouping are part of it, Oklahoma only loaded the box when Georgia didn't spread them, he passed too much in 1st half, and went typically conservative when they took the lead. I would give him a High B for the entirety of the game.

ChicoHog

Quote from: nesjunk on January 01, 2018, 08:57:02 pm
Georgia is recruiting lights out.  They will be the Beast of the East for the next several years.
I think Saban has said that is the best job in the country because of the HS football in Georgia and only the Bulldogs and GT as big time schools in the state.  And Tech really isn't close to UGA in tradition, relevance and prominence.

Also I thought Riley had some questionable play calls at end of regulation with 3rd and 2 wheel route long pass and then the TE reverse on 3rd and 2 a little later.  Very strange calls. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Smart/UGA could be the next Saban/Bama.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 01, 2018, 08:27:08 pm
Did the right thing in getting rid of Richt.   They are finally playing for a national championship. 

2 Years into Smart's tenure, with a freshman QB ... watch the impossible ...

Jimbob111

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 01, 2018, 08:47:46 pm
Was to be expected.  Easily the best offense they've faced all season.  But champions make the adjustments, and did they ever do that on defense.

This is exactly what I was thinking. After the past 5 years, I thought the SEC had changed bylaws to prevent defensive halftime adjustments.

In the 2nd half, their defense was much improved although they still gave up a ton of points.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 01, 2018, 09:01:56 pm
There is more to playcalling than just the play, formation and personnel grouping are part of it, Oklahoma only loaded the box when Georgia didn't spread them, he passed too much in 1st half, and went typically conservative when they took the lead. I would give him a High B for the entirety of the game.

It's a good thing that games are 4 quarters. They adjusted well.

Oklahoma, rightly so, went out of their way to stop the run, which would have led a freshman quarterback to check to pass or likely lean toward pass in RPOs from before the snap. Settling down and adjusting to balance, playing toward your teams strengths got them the W.

#1 STUNNA

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Jimbob111 on January 02, 2018, 03:24:14 am
This is exactly what I was thinking. After the past 5 years, I thought the SEC had changed bylaws to prevent defensive halftime adjustments.

In the 2nd half, their defense was much improved although they still gave up a ton of points.

Defense gave up only 10 points in the second half/ overtime.  Compared to 31 in the first half.  Offense gave them a fumble TD to give them 17 points in the second half and overtime.

Probably would have been less in the first half for Oklahoma if the run/pass was flipped for Georgia's offense. 17 passes to 10 or 11 runs.  They ran for almost 200 yards in the first half.