Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some Folks (or schools) Never Learn....Baylor At It Again!

Started by Vantage 8 dude, March 14, 2017, 11:47:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: goodguytex on March 23, 2017, 11:04:00 am
Programs like Ole Miss and Baylor seem to be the type of programs the NCAA can go after and make examples out of, and show everyone they still have some teeth to do something. Of course their standards are selective, because they let the kind of crap programs like bama and auburn go by without a word being said. There won't be a death penalty I don't think, but there's going to be some pretty serious sanctions I would guess.

Bama has been on probation several times. It's simply easier for someone like them to recover quicker.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

goodguytex

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 23, 2017, 06:22:15 pm
Bama has been on probation several times. It's simply easier for someone like them to recover quicker.
They've been slapped on the wrist lightly compared to what they have deserved.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: goodguytex on March 23, 2017, 06:35:30 pm
They've been slapped on the wrist lightly compared to what they have deserved.
I believe both you and "Inhogswetrust" are correct to a great extent. While it's true that the Tide has been slapped with probation in the past, to a great degree because of their tradition and location it does seem they're able to recover more quickly.

hawganatic

Quote from: goodguytex on March 23, 2017, 11:04:00 am
Of course their standards are selective, because they let the kind of crap programs like bama and auburn go by without a word being said.

So you ever think that maybe Bama and Auburn are a lot better at the cheating game than Ole Miss?  Or are you just going to huddle next to a conspiracy theory and not give it anymore thought?

mweston

Quote from: hawganatic on March 24, 2017, 11:14:07 am
So you ever think that maybe Bama and Auburn are a lot better at the cheating game than Ole Miss?  Or are you just going to huddle next to a conspiracy theory and not give it anymore thought?

They are  probably have more people that know the RIGHT people that can pull strings for them.

goodguytex

I'm not big on conspiracy theories. But I do know bama and auburn have engaged in a lot of pay for play activities over the years that they've gotten away with.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: goodguytex on March 24, 2017, 12:12:02 pm
I'm not big on conspiracy theories. But I do know bama and auburn have engaged in a lot of pay for play activities over the years that they've gotten away with.
Certainly seems they've had more than their far share alright.

PorkSoda

Quote from: mweston on March 24, 2017, 11:26:15 am
They are  probably have more people that know the RIGHT people that can pull strings for them.
yeah, there was a court case a while back about teachers changing grades to make bama recruits eligible, with someone quoted saying that if saban wants a player he will be eligible.  teachers got fired, but nothing happened to bama. 

bama has enough people in the right places to make sure nothing sticks to them.

if that happened in arkansas, our media would blow it up instead of making sure it gets lost in the court archives.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

goodguytex

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 24, 2017, 04:23:03 pm
yeah, there was a court case a while back about teachers changing grades to make bama recruits eligible, with someone quoted saying that if saban wants a player he will be eligible.  teachers got fired, but nothing happened to bama. 

bama has enough people in the right places to make sure nothing sticks to them.

if that happened in arkansas, our media would blow it up instead of making sure it gets lost in the court archives.
Of course it would. There's been all kinds of crap going on behind the scenes at Alabama and auburn that's been ignored or swept under the rug and will continue to.

Michael D Huff AIA

The NCAA has to know that the general public thinks little of their ability to govern college sports.  Their track record of overreaction to small violations and little to no reaction for large ones has done little to give the public confidence that they will judge fairly or correctly the next time an infraction takes place. 

In the case of Baylor, I really do wish that the crimes here were about money.  I wish that they were backing Brinks trucks up to the athletic dorms and shoveling Ben Franklins into the player's rooms.  I wish that the school had a payroll system like SMU did back in the day, and that payroll was found on baylorpaysplayers.com.  Those would be such better infractions than the installing of a rape culture that was protected by the head coach and administration. 

If there has been an instance where a school deserved the death penalty since SMU, this is it.  Maybe Miami back in the day with that Nevin Shapiro dude, but certainly Baylor in 2017.  This is a low hanging fruit that would be a great opportunity for the NCAA to show that they can act decisively and swing the hammer when necessary.  I hate it for all of the athletes that weren't involved, but they can transfer without penalty.  The crime was perpetrated by the school, not the players. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on March 27, 2017, 08:47:14 am
The NCAA has to know that the general public thinks little of their ability to govern college sports.  Their track record of overreaction to small violations and little to no reaction for large ones has done little to give the public confidence that they will judge fairly or correctly the next time an infraction takes place. 

In the case of Baylor, I really do wish that the crimes here were about money.  I wish that they were backing Brinks trucks up to the athletic dorms and shoveling Ben Franklins into the player's rooms.  I wish that the school had a payroll system like SMU did back in the day, and that payroll was found on baylorpaysplayers.com.  Those would be such better infractions than the installing of a rape culture that was protected by the head coach and administration. 

If there has been an instance where a school deserved the death penalty since SMU, this is it.  Maybe Miami back in the day with that Nevin Shapiro dude, but certainly Baylor in 2017.  This is a low hanging fruit that would be a great opportunity for the NCAA to show that they can act decisively and swing the hammer when necessary.  I hate it for all of the athletes that weren't involved, but they can transfer without penalty.  The crime was perpetrated by the school, not the players.
While I agree that there are a number of innocent players who weren't in any way involved in this whole sorted mess, are you saying that (past) PLAYERS weren't involved in the actual crimes ??? Who do you think actually perpetrated the actual assaults. Uhh.....think you need to go back and reexamine your comments in that respect. And yes, I DO recognize that the school's administration and former coaching staff enabled the guilty to not only get away with the bad behavior, but actively helped cover it up. Plenty of stinky garbage to go around down in Wacko.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 14, 2017, 11:47:01 pm
SIAP Apparently the folks at Baylor STILL don't get it.....or some people just never learn. It was announced today that a second member of the Baylor football program has been terminated for unacceptable personal behavior. Assistant Director For Football DeMarkco Butler, hired February 15th, was fired due to what has been described as having been engaged in "inappropriate text messaging" with a teenager (although under Texas law the teen was considered an adult). 

You may recall that earlier this year Strength Coach Brandon Washington was also terminated. He had been charged by police with being involved in a Waco-area prostitution ring.

Was just in Waco last week.  It seems like it would be a very easy town to be a Baptist in.  There's nothing there.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

goodguytex

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on March 27, 2017, 04:04:09 pm
Was just in Waco last week.  It seems like it would be a very easy town to be a Baptist in.  There's nothing there.
Well there's an interstate..

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: goodguytex on March 28, 2017, 09:51:34 am
Well there's an interstate..
Best feature is that it allows anyone to get the heck out of town FASTER!!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on March 27, 2017, 04:04:09 pm

Isn't there a Rudy's BBQ/Gas station in Waco!?
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

longtimeHogfan

So you ever think that maybe Bama and Auburn are a lot better at the cheating game than Ole Miss?

I may be naive but I don't think Bama has to cheat.  Not during the Saban era.  His recruiting speech is pretty much down pat...."Son, do you want to play for the best....be at the top of the pyramid with others of your talent level looking down....contending for a national championship every year....or playing for an also-ran trying to become bowl eligible and being the only big fish in a little pond?"    Sign here.....   

I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

PorkSoda

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on March 30, 2017, 07:54:45 am
I may be naive but I don't think Bama has to cheat.  Not during the Saban era.  His recruiting speech is pretty much down pat...."Son, do you want to play for the best....be at the top of the pyramid with others of your talent level looking down....contending for a national championship every year....or playing for an also-ran trying to become bowl eligible and being the only big fish in a little pond?"    Sign here.....   
do they have to cheat? no.  do they cheat? probably.  Saban likely doesnt do anything personally, but people connected to the program do it for him.  From boosters greasing palms, to teachers ensuring kids are eligible.  there is plenty of that going on.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.