Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Too bad...Greg Bird killing it for Yankees

Started by Pathological, September 08, 2015, 12:03:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pathological

Too bad we never got to see Greg Bird in a Hog uniform.  Espn has an article about his rise in the Yankees.

onebadrubi

Well SOB.  I've been watching a few of their games lately and couldn't figure out why his name sounded so familiar. 

OnTheHillHogFan

He can hit for sure but he is going to have to get better at playing first because it is pretty atrocious right now.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

ucahogfan

Between the 2010 and 2011 classes, we lost 8 players to the draft.  Had the new rules been in place, we might have lost 1-2 a year max.  Let's see how those 8 players are doing:

Justin O'Conner - In AA, #7 catching prospect in baseball, #8 in Rays organization, 80 grade arm and 60 grade defense, will he hit enough to start every day, will make it to the MLB
Ben Wells - Made it to High A, seems to have been released
Robbie Ray - DVH is probably still bitter to this day about Ray signing especially considering he has a 3.72 ERA for the DBacks at 23.
Jared Lakind - In A ball in the Pirates organization

Brandon Nimmo - #76 prospect in baseball, will make his major league debut within the next year, impresses for his all around tools
Michael Fulmer - traded to Tigers as center piece for Cespedes with the Mets, in AA and has a 2.24 ERA this year, could make his MLB debut within the next year
Dillon Howard - Retired from baseball at 22
Greg Bird - In MLB, #5 1B prospect in baseball, off to a solid start at 22 in a pennant race

So out of 8 players who signed early, 5 are going to play in the MLB.  That is a lot of talent that we signed that didn't make it to campus.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: ucahogfan on September 08, 2015, 06:24:24 pm
Between the 2010 and 2011 classes, we lost 8 players to the draft.  Had the new rules been in place, we might have lost 1-2 a year max.  Let's see how those 8 players are doing:

Justin O'Conner - In AA, #7 catching prospect in baseball, #8 in Rays organization, 80 grade arm and 60 grade defense, will he hit enough to start every day, will make it to the MLB
Robbie Ray - DVH is probably still bitter to this day about Ray signing especially considering he has a 3.72 ERA for the DBacks at 23.

Brandon Nimmo - #76 prospect in baseball, will make his major league debut within the next year, impresses for his all around tools
Michael Fulmer - traded to Tigers as center piece for Cespedes with the Mets, in AA and has a 2.24 ERA this year, could make his MLB debut within the next year
Greg Bird - In MLB, #5 1B prospect in baseball, off to a solid start at 22 in a pennant race

So out of 8 players who signed early, 5 are going to play in the MLB.  That is a lot of talent that we signed that didn't make it to campus.
In DVH's PC after the draft you could see how pissed he was when he talked about Ray.
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

ucahogfan

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on September 08, 2015, 06:25:59 pm
In DVH's PC after the draft you could see how pissed he was when he talked about Ray.
Yeah, DVH was not happy, but then again, no coach would be if a 12th round pick with a 1.5M price tag went for 799K like Ray did.  Especially considering it was rumored Ray had a full scholly and had ace potential in college baseball.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: ucahogfan on September 08, 2015, 06:24:24 pm

Interesting that 2 of the guys not panning out are 2 in state studs.

onebadrubi

What happened to Howard?  I didn't know he retired

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 08, 2015, 10:26:26 pm
What happened to Howard?  I didn't know he retired
Failed at least 1 drug test and had some other problems.

Scott7703

Nimmo and Bird are the two that stung me the most. Those two had "star" written all over them. It is what it is though. Happy to see so many of them doing well.

HogsBalls

Bird is smashing, Nimmo was so raw, but is proving how great a talent he is.

bulldog04

Bird has the 2nd highest batted ball velocity behind Stanton with 95.5 mph.  Could you imagine that type of velocity with aluminum bats?