Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fall Ball

Started by Bas3ball13, August 31, 2015, 11:29:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bas3ball13

Scott7703

Quote from: Bas3ball13 on August 31, 2015, 11:29:10 am
Starts tomorrow!

Any insight on possible surprise additions or subtractions?

hawgcraZ

Can't wait to see the roster.  Anybody pick one up out there?

Scott7703

Quote from: hawgcraZ on September 01, 2015, 04:53:20 pm
Can't wait to see the roster.  Anybody pick one up out there?

I'm in the same boat. There are always surprises.

flippinhogmana

September 01, 2015, 08:21:20 pm #4 Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 11:35:41 pm by flippinhogmana
Quote from: Scott7703 on September 01, 2015, 07:53:39 pm
I'm in the same boat. There are always surprises.

We have at least ten players gone from last years roster, most of them position starters...(Spoon, Beni, Serrano, thats the outfield and a good one at that and Wernes at third) Lowery and Killian two of our best weekend starters at years end.  Those six in particular will be hard to replace, but we have some quality of other types that are eager to prove their worth I am sure.  I do welcome the new guys, especially left handed pitchers!

Gone are: the six mentioned above plus Max Hogan (retiring from baseball), Jacob Stone (SR), Krisjon Wilkerson (SR) and Lance Phillips.  I think that some on the roster may not make it back either at least a couple I know of but wont name-

Of the twenty four who committed from the incoming class, two definitely wont make it, one at least going JC and one signing a pro contract: that leaves in the vicinity of twenty two competing for twelve or so slots?

Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Amityvillehogger

Any surprises reported yet?
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Scott7703

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on September 02, 2015, 03:25:33 pm
Any surprises reported yet?

I have a roster and will post later. Didn't see any real surprises on there.

Scott7703

Here's a copy of the roster. Hopefully it's visible.

bulldog04

hawgcraZ

Good to see Blaine made it.  Was rumored he wouldnt.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: hawgcraZ on September 03, 2015, 04:45:55 pm
Good to see Blaine made it.  Was rumored he wouldnt.

I saw that as well. Hopefully a good thing!

flippinhogmana

If my math is correct we have about the same situation in some respects as we did last year (but I think not as much proven depth and leadership, no spoons, serranos, and no beni's or Killians). 

That being said, we can see somethings to definitely build on:  some forty plus (43 by my count) to start with.  Of those 10 position players who played last year (five of them were predominately dhed, three of them catchers).  Some of them like Shaddy had both power and average.  I think Bernal, Nomura, Shaddy, Pennell and Eagan make take up some of the leadership mantle (as well as offensive production) 

We appear to have 8 pitchers who threw some from last year, although only six of them saw much action, four started games.  Got a lot of work to do there, but we have 23 pitchers on that roster, 7 of them left handers.  Hopefully Tacco and McKinney will be fully recovered by the Spring.  Hopefully Fant and Pate as well as Sanburn and Chadwick can find the strike zone with regularity and movement. 

I am hopeful that Bonfield can emerge this year like Beni did from year one to year two, and that Spanberger can find that territory beyond the fences that eluded him last year.  We lost a lot of proven ability on defense last year but we should be strong up the middle.  We bring back three proven catchers as I said and some proven starting pitching if we can get them healthy.  We should be good at short and second and center (and third if Bernal plays there).  It would be helpful if we had a freshman pitcher emerge like McKinney did this year.

Despite losing the entire starting outfield, having Bonfield, Eagan (if we can get a good first baseman otherwise), Benninghoff, Shaddy, Silky and Simms gives us a chance there too.  Just like last year, it mainly depends on how well we are able to develop pitching although I dont see us being quite as strong at the plate as last year.  It should be interesting...

Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: bulldog04 on September 03, 2015, 03:52:02 pm
No Matt Campbell

that was one of the ones that wasnt supposed to make it back, but I heard what I thought to be reliable rumors about two or three more that apparently turned out (at least according to this roster) to be unfounded.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Thanks Scott!

Looks good enough for another Omaha bound - DVH team.

bulldog04

DVH and Pate had a come to Jesus meeting last year and he has been real positive on Twitter.  If he can keep his attitude in check he can be something special

trippigs

Going to the baseball scrimmage before the UTEP football game. It starts @ 9:40 am and I wonder how long it will last. Great timing coordination between these sports
Go hogs

SPAL

Guys, buy a media guide. The only thing I can say with certainty is that there are tons of new faces.