Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Former Hogs in Pro Ball

Started by flippinhogmana, June 13, 2015, 12:37:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbell96

Quote from: flippinhogmana on September 10, 2015, 12:02:41 pm
For the rest (and every fill free to point out and bring in anyone I miss)-
Beni-finished the year strong-I think he might even get a sniff of the parent club at spring camp, but likely to start out where he finished or maybe at their AA affliliate.  I think that would be prone to not want to risk overwhelming him at this point.  Right now he has future star written all over him at each level.

Bobby Wernes-Remember when we debated whether or not he could even make it in pro ball?-then we debated if he could make it in the majors-well that debate will continue this year.  Now we are likely going to debate whether he can hit for power.  He was streaky with that at Arkansas.  I am still saying that if he hits anything above .250 consistently and his defense stays the same, he will make it the show.  I think he has a fifty-fifty chance (in part how he does in the continuing playoffs could get him some additional attention) shot of starting in A next spring, but like Beni I think he has a slight chance starting in AA next year.  In either case if he continues to hit at the level he is, he will be there before long next year with an early call up.

Tyler Spoon-for some reason Tyler was one of my favorite razorbacks from the last twenty plus years (I am not exactly sure why)-from getting below a .100 batting average while being tried at catcher, Tyler rebounded well after being sent to Lowell after Beni left.  He hit just below what Beni did there, albeit with nothing like the power numbers.  Tyler is just a decent ball player.  He will likely start at A level next spring.

Michael Gunn-so so year, starts at A next year if he wants to continue to try and develop.

Anybody else?  Cant think of them if there is

I think Beni will start in Salem, Advanced A ball next year, step above where he finished, but will spend the majority of his time with the AA team in Portland (Maine).

I think Wernes will start the year with a full season A ball team, most likely in the Midwest League with Quad Cities. I don't think he has developed enough offensively to make it to AA next year. He did hit over .350 in Short Season A, which is impressive, but 65 of his 73 hits were singles.

I think Spoon will start in Lowell next year, Short Season A, and have a shot to move up to Greenville in A ball.

Not sure what will happen with Gunn. He got sent down from Greenville to Lowell towards the end of the year. Thinking he might start at Greenville again.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: jbell96 on September 10, 2015, 01:05:10 pm
I think Beni will start in Salem, Advanced A ball next year, step above where he finished, but will spend the majority of his time with the AA team in Portland (Maine).

I think Wernes will start the year with a full season A ball team, most likely in the Midwest League with Quad Cities. I don't think he has developed enough offensively to make it to AA next year. He did hit over .350 in Short Season A, which is impressive, but 65 of his 73 hits were singles.

I think Spoon will start in Lowell next year, Short Season A, and have a shot to move up to Greenville in A ball.

Not sure what will happen with Gunn. He got sent down from Greenville to Lowell towards the end of the year. Thinking he might start at Greenville again.

I pretty much universally agree with you (all points, all players).  The only qualifier I would put in there is if particularly Beni has an absolutely torrid spring camp.  The same would be for the other players up the line in the higher class as well though (for example Fico or Eibner, or some of the pitchers putting in offseason work and really coming in prepared).
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

89ALUM

Quote from: flippinhogmana on September 10, 2015, 12:02:41 pm
For the rest (and every fill free to point out and bring in anyone I miss)-

Anybody else?  Cant think of them if there is

Actually, there's three at the AA level or lower that we need to add.  Maybe more if you count the disabled list status guys like Derrick Bleeker, Colby Suggs, Jess Todd and Randall Fant.

Nolan Sanburn - AA Birmingham Barons.  Nolan pitched all year at the AA level, but was injured for two months in the middle of the season so he only amassed 30 innings.  His numbers at that level were ugly - 6.60 ERA, in only 30 innings.  Looks like he was a spot starter and long reliever.  He may go back to Stockton (A Advanced) to see if he can regain his form, but I think he repeats with Birmingham and they turn him into a starter.

Barrett Astin - AA Pensacola Blue Wahoos.  Barrett pitched over 150 innings combined between Daytona and Pensacola, and as you would expect, was roughed up a bit as he advanced to the next level.  He was used almost exclusively as a starter, and I imagine the Reds will keep him in that role and start him again at Pensacola next year.  His WHIP isn't too bad for AA and although he faded in his last five starts, I think 150 innings might have been a bit too much for his arm strength.  He had a 4-6 record at AA and had a K/BB ratio of 61/39.  That definitely needs to improve before he gets a call to Louisville.  (Which by the way is absolutely loaded with starting pitching - most of which the Reds traded for at the deadline in the Cueto deal and last year in the Alfredo Simon and Latos moves).  So Barrett might get a full season at Pensacola next year to prove himself.  - Also, Flippin - Barrett is a righty, but DJ's numbers at AA are much superior to Astin's, so if you're looking for a Razorback righty to get to the majors, my bet's on DJ before anyone else.

Brian Anderson - A Jupiter Hammerheads.  Kind of split time between second and third base for Jupiter, and played there all season.  Hit 8 HR which isn't bad power for A ball, but also added 22 doubles, and we know what those turn into once you add a bit more bat speed and muscle.  Brian led the team in HR and was second in doubles, and was also third in slugging and fourth in OBP among the everyday players - I'm not counting those that were injury rehab or only with the club for a few weeks.  When I saw Brian play back in July he was batting cleanup and I thought he looked like the most polished player on the field (yeah, yeah, I'm biased).  He may start again next year at Jupiter but I think he's earned a promotion to AA to see how he fares.  My guess is his fielding and power is there, but he needs to improve on a .235 batting average in order to turn some heads in the Marlins organization.
I'm in shape.  Round is a shape.

"That's what." - she

89ALUM

And Flippin, +1000 (if I was allowed) for all the work you did this year updating everyone on the Hogs at all levels who are getting paid.  I for one looked forward to your updates each day and I'm bummed the season is at an end for the guys in the minors.

My goal next year is to get my Keuchel jersey autographed and maybe add a McCann to my collection if my wife lets me.

"That's what." - she

flippinhogmana

Quote from: 89ALUM on September 10, 2015, 08:40:33 pm
And Flippin, +1000 (if I was allowed) for all the work you did this year updating everyone on the Hogs at all levels who are getting paid.  I for one looked forward to your updates each day and I'm bummed the season is at an end for the guys in the minors.

My goal next year is to get my Keuchel jersey autographed and maybe add a McCann to my collection if my wife lets me.

Thanks for remembering especially Brian Anderson, I had been missing him all year.  Good luck on the Keuchel jersey autograph too.  Getting the McCann one I actually think you might be able to get easier if you can get by Fayetteville while he is there.  I dont recall Dallas coming back by Fayetteville as much as James, but then McCann's home is close to Fayettenam that it is too Tulsa.  I would imagine that Dallas probably makes Houston his home now too, as James might soon make Detroit his home (perish the thought). 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

89ALUM

I live in Ohio (and have for the last 21 years).  So getting up to Detroit is a piece of cake - three hour drive, usually.  And the plus is that I can stop by college and see my son at Bowling Green.

I tried to get him to go to Arkansas but the graphic design program on the hill ain't top notch.

"That's what." - she

flippinhogmana

Quote from: 89ALUM on September 10, 2015, 09:39:47 pm
I live in Ohio (and have for the last 21 years).  So getting up to Detroit is a piece of cake - three hour drive, usually.  And the plus is that I can stop by college and see my son at Bowling Green.

I tried to get him to go to Arkansas but the graphic design program on the hill ain't top notch.

I live in Rockford Illinois for five years...there's a lot about the north and especially the northern cities I dont like (well, I aint fond of Texas either) but I would not think of denying that I met a lot of good people there, but I like the southern weather better anyway.

I do appreciate your kind words, alum and your contributions as well.  I will spend the most of my time hanging out in womens basketball until spring baseball comes around.  See ya around the block and take care.

jbell96

Quote from: 89ALUM on September 10, 2015, 08:38:17 pm
Actually, there's three at the AA level or lower that we need to add.  Maybe more if you count the disabled list status guys like Derrick Bleeker, Colby Suggs, Jess Todd and Randall Fant.

Fant is not on the DL, he got released in April.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=572840#/career/R/pitching/2015/ALL

bulldog04

Brad Ausmus maybe let go.  I hope this doesn't hurt James McCann but Ausmus really like hime

flippinhogmana

September 11, 2015, 12:08:14 pm #259 Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 12:19:37 pm by flippinhogmana
Quote from: bulldog04 on September 11, 2015, 10:52:44 am
Brad Ausmus maybe let go.  I hope this doesn't hurt James McCann but Ausmus really like hime

You may be right.  It's never good when you have a change of leadership when you are just becoming a starter.  But on the other hand, James has gotten a chance to prove himself and he's carried his weight, plus.  One would think that either way he will be in the majors somewhere next year and for a while.  A good catcher is still hard to find, and I think he is that.  We will see, but it is hard to see Detroit fall apart the way it is, isnt it?

I didnt particularly appreciate it when they traded Smyly, but it may work out in the end.  I think he would have gotten an even better chance in Tampa Bay if he had hurt his shoulder.  Still I hear you concern about James and Ausmus.  I appreciate your thoughts.

flippinhogmana

Keuchel was going for his eighteenth but his own fielding error led to his demise and allowed three unearned runs to score in a 3-2 loss.  Forsythe had a hit and rbi.  Neither Smyly, Lee or Bolsinger pitched, and I didnt get the box on McCann and the tigers.

89ALUM

Man, people be goin' off the deep end over in Monday Morning Quarterback.

A tough start to a long season.  Need to take a lesson from the baseball team.  Play lights out when it matters, turn up the heat and peak as you get into the last third of the season.

The football team also needs a leader like Beni was for us.  Maybe that guy will step up this week in practice and take charge of this group.

"That's what." - she

bulldog04

Quote from: 89ALUM on September 13, 2015, 03:25:30 pm
Man, people be goin' off the deep end over in Monday Morning Quarterback.

A tough start to a long season.  Need to take a lesson from the baseball team.  Play lights out when it matters, turn up the heat and peak as you get into the last third of the season.

The football team also needs a leader like Beni was for us.  Maybe that guy will step up this week in practice and take charge of this group.
Maybe we should have our own football thread in EI

89ALUM

Nah.  I like it over here, nice and calm and nobody hyperventilating.

"That's what." - she

yraciv

Drew was on fire today. 6 IP, 0 ER, 4 H, and 11 Ks to 2 BB.  Unfortunately couldn't get the win because the Rays offense was nonexistent for 13 innings in a 2-0 loss.

flippinhogmana

September 15, 2015, 12:45:00 pm #265 Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 03:43:04 pm by flippinhogmana
I suppose a end year/near end year synopsis is in order for some of the players.  For the minor leaguers we have pretty much done that but we do have Dallas Keuchel (Houston), Craig Gentry (recalled to Oakland), Drew Smyly and Logan Forsythe still playing in Tampa Bay, James McCann in Detroit, and Mike Bolsinger (recalled to LA Dodgers).  Cliff Lee has not played all year and is likely done in his career (Phillies).

Beginning in the last half of last year, the dominance of Dallas Keuchel began to emerge.  He has fully flowered this year for the entire year.  At 17-6 he is a very legitimate candidate for what may and probably should be his first Cy Young.  I would say that is a pretty good year. 

Craig Gentry was sent down for lack of production at the plate and is hitting under .100 (.073 last I checked) in his appearances since he was recalled a couple of weeks ago.  As I said before spring training, this might be his last go around.  He is good defensively, good base stealer, but he would have to hit to .260/270 to stay in the bigs any longer and the last couple of years he just hasnt demonstrated that he can do that.  If he gets one more year with some team it will be for his defense but in my opinion if he doesnt pick it up and show something the rest of the limited games that are left, that is unlikely.

Drew Smyly developed arm trouble/shoulder trouble and elected to rehab it without surgury.  I am uncertain how successful that was but in his six appearances since his return the team is 3-3 and Drew is personally 2-2.  One of those games (his next to last) was a good one, his best since coming back.  He went six, struck out 10, gave up no runs and got the win.  His last start however he went less than four gave up three runs and his team lost.  The jury is still very much out on his return.  He needs for his remaining starts to be very much like his next to last rather than last start.

Logan Forsythe has, I think, been a pleasant surprise to Tampa Bay.  He has had his best statistical year.  He will, when it all said and done, hit in the .280s, his rbis will be in the 60, and he will hit close to 20 homers.  Those numbers are pretty good for a second baseman (his defense is adequate as well).  Tampa Bay is not the 27 Yankees by any stretch of the imagination either.  Logan has either lead or been second in almost all hitting categories (rbis, hrs, average).  It is probable that he will lead the team in average, and be second or third in the other two.  A good year for Logan.

James McCann, has had a good year, especially since he was winning the starting catchers job during it.  He has hit for some power and a decent average (comparable to Forsythe's, but less because of a lesser amount of at bats and place in the batting order.  he will have only about double digit homers and maybe not that, only thirty of so rbis but a lot less at bats and has hit seventh or eighth in bo much of the year).  Still a very good year for McCann.

Mike Bolsinger was called up twice during the year and is currently 6-3.  He has given his team a chance to win in a lot of the starts he has pitched.  Mike doesnt have an out pitch and unless a team has seen him before or they start seeing him for the third at bat, he has done okay.  He lacks (at this time) dominant stuff.  That is not to say that he could not develop it.  Dallas Keuchel was in the same place two years ago.  Mike needs to develop one more pitch if he is going to stick and become a career big league player.

arthurhawgerelli

Kind of a correction/update on Brandon Moore. He "retired" from the Brewers to get  his release.  He had an injured elbow, but couldn't get the team to allow him to get an MRI.  He had to retire, and came back to Fayetteville to get a "professional" opinion.  Slight tear in the UCL.  He's been rehabbing, and if all things go well, he will pitch in an independent league in hopes of getting picked back up (hopefully not by the Brewers).

He's a great guy, and I hope it works out.

flippinhogmana

Thanks alot for the update on Brandon.  It is that sort of input from fellow EI denizens that I hoped for in this thread and that separates EI from other forums.  1+

89ALUM

I'd like to add Travis Wood to your list of Arkansas major leaguers.  I know Travis never played for the Hogs but he's from Little Rock and probably would've been a Razorback had the Reds not taken him out of high school.

Travis has been in the starting rotation with the Cubs the last four years and although he's gotten eight starts this year, he has racked up most of his innings in blowouts and long relief.  He has a 5-4 record with a .9 WAR, but his WHIP and ERA are higher by a little bit than his career numbers would indicate.  Travis has a good K/BB ratio, but he's currently a victim of there being too many starters and is kind of out of position in the Chicago rotation.

Word is that when the Cubs make the playoffs (HA! I just jinxed them), they'll likely leave Travis off the postseason roster.  I feel like as a LHP Travis brings a few qualities to the table that maybe a short reliever wouldn't necessarily command.

The best thing for Travis would be to make the postseason roster and carve out a niche for himself like Brandon Finnegan did for the Royals last season.  Or barring playoff involvement, maybe he can work a trade to a club that needs starting pitching, like San Diego or Colorado.  Travis does tend to serve up the long ball, so maybe Colorado would not be a good option.  Something sea level like Miami, Tampa, or Philly might extend his career.

"That's what." - she

flippinhogmana

Drew Smyly didnt pitch particularly well, but he did go long enough and his teammates hit well enough for him to pick up the win (he is now 3-2 since coming back from his injury).  He gave up five runs on two homers, lot of walks despite on giving up couple of hits (thats enough if you walk the bases nearly full before giving up the dingers).  Logan Forsythe had a well deserved day off for the game and didnt have any stats.

James McCann was one for five in a win over KC.

Dallas Keuchel has probably sealed not getting the Cy Young or maybe even making the playoffs with his last two performances.  In a head to head with Texas on his last game he went less that five innings and gave up 11 hits and a ton of runs.  it was his second consecutive poor start and second consecutive loss to go to 17-8.  He has thrown a lot of innings, and still will have the best year for any of the former hogs even with the two losses.

Mike Bolsinger didnt get the loss but pitched poorly the time out, gave up three runs in three innings.

After his poor hitting in coming up, Craig Gentry has only had pinch running duties of late...

Two weeks left..

flippinhogmana

1st-there is a pretty decent writeup on WholeHogSports (a season synopsis sort of like I have done-its inaccurate in a couple of aspects but its still a good write up and will reach more people than our EI posting will so for the recognition of the boys I am glad for it).

Second, Logan Forsythe had a good day today, going officially two for three.  His two hits were his 31st double and his 17th homer.  The homer was a three run job for his 61,62 and 63 rbis.  The effort helped the Rays win 7-6.

James McCann had a hit today, to help hold his average to .271

Bolsinger went 4 1/3 gave up four runs, three earned and stands to be the loser against the Pirates (4-3 in the eighth at present)

I couldnt find any other official stats for today (Gentry didnt appear in their game with the Astros and neither did Keuchel), Smyly didnt appear in the game where Forsythe had his heroics and Lee still is on the dl, not likely to appear this year or maybe not again.

ucahogfan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on September 19, 2015, 12:01:52 pm
Dallas Keuchel has probably sealed not getting the Cy Young or maybe even making the playoffs with his last two performances.

He is probably still the front runner in the AL, but he has opened the door for someone like Price to sneak in and win it much like Kluber did last year.

flippinhogmana

He still has at least one possibly two starts left.  I think until the last two he had that sucker in the bag.  Now, he really needs (and the Astros need) him to nail his last one or two.  Voters dont always award the Cy Young to a pitcher on a championship team, but it helps and it always helps voters if you dont fade badly.  It wasnt just that it was two losses, it was bad losses and losses where his teams playoff chances were on the line. 

But, If his last one or two are wins, I think he still has a chance.

flippinhogmana

Dallas Keuchel is pitching tonight against the LA angels (its on fox sports southwest if you get that network).  Lets all pull for him.

McCann is sitting out tonight.

Logan Forsythe is one for one with an rbi single to night (his 64th)..hitting .285.

Doesnt look like on Yahoo sports like the dodgers or a's are playing tonight so no updates on Bolsinger or Gentry.

flippinhogmana

September 21, 2015, 09:02:03 pm #274 Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 10:18:28 pm by flippinhogmana
So far its looking good for Dallas.  He has gone six so far and only given up one run (earned) and his teammates have staked him to a 5-1 lead.  Hopefully he puts his eighteenth win in the books with one more start after this.

Dallas through seven now, still just one run given up, with six Ks.  His mates have added a run in the bottom of the 7th now 6-1.  Dallas went 7 and a third, gave up the one earned run, his relievers gave up two but he got the win.  so he is now 18-7 another good win and I think he might just get the Cy. 

Logan Forsythe now one for two in his game with two walks too.  Logan has now added a SF to raise his RBI total to 65, and this teams lead to 6-4.

The Dodgers are playing tonight, but Bolsinger isnt scheduled to pitch, could though since he is being used spot starting and long relief. 

flippinhogmana

September 23, 2015, 07:41:54 pm #275 Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:51:55 pm by flippinhogmana
Drew Smyly is on the hill tonight for TB.  So far he has gone five with only three hits, no runs, two BBs and 6 Ks.  But he hasnt gotten any run support either.  After five its goose eggs.  Forsythe has the night off.

McCann caught Justin Verlander in a win today, but was oh for four.

Drew now pitching in the bottom of the 7th.  He has given up five hits now, no runs.  TB up 1-0. He starts the seventh with the old cardinal sin, giving up a walk after your team gives you a lead.  Then an infield single and he has runners at first and second gets one out, runs still on first and second.  Next hitter is two for three against him on the night (out of six hits given up) so he is pulled.  He goes 6 and a third but is responsible for the two men on base.  Reliever got the last two outs going to the eight.  Drew is the pitcher of record with two innings to go.  As of now he could still be the winner but cannot be the loser now that the two runners he was responsible have been retired. 

In the top half of the eighth inning TB adds 3 runs to take a four run lead.  The first run was driven in by a pinch hitting Logan Forsythe even though he didnt get credit for it because there was an error on the play.  So Drew's win seems a good bit less tenuous now. 

flippinhogmana

September 23, 2015, 09:29:41 pm #276 Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 09:44:59 pm by flippinhogmana
TB hits two solo homers in the top of the ninth, up 6-0 now.

btw the official scorer gave Forsythe an rbi on the grounder originally and then took it away, now its showing again, his 66th.

Boston scored two, had two on and david ortiz at the plate, he flied out for the third out so Drew gets the win.  Good night, stat line 6 and a quarter IP, 5 hits, 3 BBs, 7Ks, no earned runs.  A good quality start. He's now 4-2 since coming back off the DL in August.

89ALUM

The Chattanooga Lookouts, featuring DJ Baxendale, are champions of the Southern League.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20150921&content_id=150908790&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_l111&sid=l111&partnerId=ed-9747905-836519453

Congrats to DJ, who pitched a great 5 innings to put the Twins #25 prospect in line to get the save.  I think Baxendale really came on in the playoffs and showed the Twins that perhaps next year he deserves to get a look at AAA.  I like watching games in Chattanooga but I'm sure DJ is ready to move on up and I hope to see him at Rochester next year.

"That's what." - she

flippinhogmana

Mike Bolsinger (Dodgers) at 6-4 will be getting the start tonight a little later.

In other action so far:  Logan Forsythe is 0-1 as is James McCann, but the night is young.

flippinhogmana

Fielding your position as a pitcher is just a little bit to help yourself...Bolsinger doesnt help himself by making an error on the first batter he faces after his team had given him a one run lead.  Two one out in the first now for him.  lets hope he settles down and gets out of it.

Not so far, has given up two straight single to allow the opponents to tie it up, two still on (first and third) with one out.

flippinhogmana

September 25, 2015, 07:35:38 pm #280 Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 08:45:09 pm by flippinhogmana
finally gets the second and third out despite giving up another walk, gives up no more runs.  Good thing it was the first inning, if it had been the third or fourth they would have probably pulled him with the baseball loaded situation.

Mike gave up three more (helped by an error by the 1st baseman) in the 3rd. Third run given up on a triple, I'm thinking that may be it for him.  but the triple was by the eighth place hitter with two out.  They may let him pitch to the hitter.

Yep, and he got the pitcher to ground out.  I'd be surprised unless the Dodgers score about five-ten runs in the top half of the fourth if Mike gets to come back out.  He is the fifth man up, if they get anything going, he is doubly likely to be pinch hit for. 

They (the Dodgers) went 1-2-3 and Mike did come out to pitch gave up a homer.  So far he has given up a homer, triple, double, committed an error and gave up three walks in three innings to Colorado, not the best of starts. Now he gives up another homer.  Behind 6-1.  It is Colorado and the ball flies out pretty easy there.  But Mike gives up the third homer of the inning, now behind 7-1.  I think its about time for a mercy switch (well I thought that last inning).  So far he's gone 3 2/3.  But he mercifully gets the third out to finish four at least.  That all for MB, they pinch hit for him in the top of the fifth. 

Logan Forsythe 0-2 with a hbp in his game, and James McCann one for three with a K in his so far for both.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: 89ALUM on September 24, 2015, 10:22:44 pm
The Chattanooga Lookouts, featuring DJ Baxendale, are champions of the Southern League.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20150921&content_id=150908790&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_l111&sid=l111&partnerId=ed-9747905-836519453

Congrats to DJ, who pitched a great 5 innings to put the Twins #25 prospect in line to get the save.  I think Baxendale really came on in the playoffs and showed the Twins that perhaps next year he deserves to get a look at AAA.  I like watching games in Chattanooga but I'm sure DJ is ready to move on up and I hope to see him at Rochester next year.

Thanks for the update, 1+.  Good for DJ.

flippinhogmana

By the way, one of the teams that DJ pitched against well against in the playoffs was the Montgomery Biscuits.  One of the Montgomery relief pitchers who pitched fairly well was Ryne Stanek who had two relief appearances after the other team was already ahead in one he went one and third (a game that DJ was pitching in) and he went one inning giving up no runs in the game that Chattanooga eliminated them.  I think he could start at Montgomery or even the AAA affiliate for the Rays.  But you never know, TB needs pitching.  Any way, it might not be long until Logan, Drew and Ryne are all playing on the same time in MLB.

89ALUM

Quote from: flippinhogmana on September 25, 2015, 08:58:32 pm
Any way, it might not be long until Logan, Drew and Ryne are all playing at the same time in MLB.

And Dominic and possibly Matt Reynolds.  We have at least 3-4 that will be on the cusp of the big leagues next year.  It was a good year for the pro Razorbacks.

"That's what." - she

flippinhogmana

yeah, them, too.  I mean the three I named might all be playing in the Bigs on the same team, TB though...! :D

flippinhogmana

September 27, 2015, 03:31:19 pm #285 Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 04:01:07 pm by flippinhogmana
Dallas Keuchel going for another win and trying to get a playoff spot secured for his team and maybe work on the Cy Young for himself.  He is through 7IP so far, has given up one rune (earned) on two hits, two BBs, while striking out ten. He has been flawless for the past four innings and is up 2-1.

Logan Forsythe in his game has one hit and his 68th RBI in a losing cause.

If Keuchel (and his team has a one run lead with one inning to go, 3-2) wins this game it would be his 19th win.  They will have six games to go after this, so he should have one more start.  I thought this would be his last, but I think he gets one more start and (if he gets this win) could go for twenty wins too, a hallmark for a MLB pitcher.

flippinhogmana

September 27, 2015, 04:17:45 pm #286 Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 09:01:23 pm by flippinhogmana
its final now, the astros picked up a run in the last of the eighth as insurance and their closer set them down in order.  Dallas now has 19 wins.  The way I see it, the only real competition, and it is very tough competition is David Price with Toronto and his teammate McHugh, but his teammate even though he has 18 wins, doesnt have the numbers Dallas does, Price does pretty however.  IMHO, it will be between Price and Dallas. 

89ALUM

Agreed.  I think Dallas will win it, but then again, I'm a little biased.

"That's what." - she

flippinhogmana

September 28, 2015, 05:50:47 pm #288 Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 06:01:05 pm by flippinhogmana
This is the text of an article from arkansasrazorbacks.com  It is a ProHogs article on Dallas Keuchel.  Some of the data is wrong (seems to be a common mistake on their part) but still its a good article, giving him a good bit of recognition and props.  His stat line is actually W 19 L8 ERA 2.47 K 213 BB 49 after that game instead of 18-8, and 2.51 ERA, IP 226.  I think they probably got the stats before MLB updated them after the last game.  Dallas leads the American league in starts, innings pitched, wins, shutouts, second in complete games, and ERA (by .002), and is fifth in Ks.

The Houston Astros ace is at it again. Dallas Keuchel dominated the Texas Rangers and led the Astros to a critical series win as the playoff race comes down the final stretch.

Keuchel struck out 10 and allowed just two hits in seven innings of work. He retired 15 consecutive batters en route to setting an MLB record with a 15-0 record at his home ballpark. His performance also set a team record for most strikeouts by a left-handed pitcher.

The Astros now trail the Rangers by 2 1/2 games in the AL West and hold a 1/2 game lead over the Los Angeles Angels in the race for the final wild card spot with one week remaining in the regular season.

An AL Cy Young Award candidate, Keuchel is now 18-8 with a 2.51 ERA in 31 starts this season. He has struck out 203 hitters in 219.0 innings pitched.

Keuchel is expected to make his last regular season start next week at Arizona.

bulldog04

Fico got his first gold glove.  We knew he was awesome defensively now the baseball world knows
http://m.milb.com/news/article/2014092996949712/

flippinhogmana

Quote from: bulldog04 on September 28, 2015, 06:40:29 pm
Fico got his first gold glove.  We knew he was awesome defensively now the baseball world knows
http://m.milb.com/news/article/2014092996949712/

First baseman Dominic Ficociello posted a .996 fielding percentage in 102 games between Lakeland and Erie. A third-year pro out of the University of Arkansas, Ficociello made only four errors in 979 chances at first base. Ficociello, 23, was selected by Detroit in the 12th round of the 2013 First-Year Player Draft.

I know that Fico was concerned about his hitting being enough for him being a 1Bman but I always thought he was a little like Wernes, his defense really helped us, something was worth a run a game.  I dont mean to say he was as good as Wernes, but he certainly wasnt any slouch.

89ALUM

Way to play, Dom!  Two Hogs in the Detroit infield in the next few years.  Both great defensively.

"That's what." - she

flippinhogmana

Drew Smyly throwing well tonight in what should be his last start.  He has given up one run through five and two thirds.  He has a five to one lead.  It would be his fifth win against two losses since his injury.

flippinhogmana

Mike Bolsinger also pitching tonight on ESPN.  He is down 3-1 after three.

flippinhogmana

Drew Smyly article from AP sports-

Smyly goes 6 solid innings, Rays beat Marlins 6-4
By MARK DIDTLER (Associated Press)

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) -- Drew Smyly ended an injury-marred season in a positive way.

Smyly won his fifth straight decision, Grady Sizemore had a three-run double and the Tampa Bay Rays beat the Miami Marlins 6-4 on Wednesday night.

Smyly (5-2) allowed one run, three hits, three walks and had eight strikeouts over six innings in his final start of the season. After losing his first start on Aug. 16 following a three-month absence due to a torn left labrum, the left-hander has gone 5-0 over an eight-start stretch.

''I've worked hard, rehabbed, put in the time, and very happy with how I finished the season,'' Smyly said.

Brad Boxberger gave up Dee Gordon's RBI single in the ninth before recording his 40th save.

Nick Franklin had a two-out solo homer in the fifth off Jarred Cosart (2-5) before Sizemore put the Rays up 5-1 with his bases-loaded opposite-field double down the left-field line.

The Rays loaded the bases on two walks and Evan Longoria's infield single, which came about because an out call at second base was overturned after a Tampa Bay challenge.

The announced crowd was 9,431, which was the eighth home turnout under 10,000 this season for the Rays. Tampa Bay has an MLB-low home attendance of 1,186,565.

Cosart gave up five runs, five hits and five walks in 4 2-3 innings for the Marlins, who are 0-9 on the road this season against AL teams.

''Some really good, some not so good,'' Cosart said.

Justin Bour hit a two-out double in the fourth and scored to make it 1-0 on Marcell Ozuna's single. Ozuna has at least one hit in all 12 of his games against Tampa Bay.

Asdrubal Cabrera tied it at 1 on a fourth-inning sacrifice fly. He also had an RBI single in the seventh.

Tampa Bay center fielder Kevin Kiermaier took an extra-base hit away from Derek Dietrich in the seventh with a leaping catch into the wall. The Marlins got an RBI single from Miguel Rojas later in the inning, cutting the deficit to 5-2.

''KK takes a lot of pride helping our pitchers in every way possible,'' Rays manager Kevin Cash said.

Miami pulled within 6-3 in the eighth when a run scored on Bour's double play.

Rays: 2B Logan Forsythe was out of the lineup one day after his right foot was bruised when he was hit by a pitch and is day to day.

flippinhogmana

Dallas Keuchel is pitching tonight on short rest, he is through the first inning and his mates gave him three runs to start with in their half as a cushion...This win would very much help solidify several things for Dallas, first it would be his twentieth win.  Second, it would help his team that much closer to making the playoffs, and thirdly partially because of those two things, it would help win the Cy Young for him if he pulls this off tonight.  Go Dallas...Go Big D, fly!

flippinhogmana

Dallas and his mates are through five so far and have a 7-2 lead.  Texas lost to the Angels who are a half game behind the Astros so they need to complete the win (for Dallas's sake and their own) to close within two of the Rangers with two to go I believe.

flippinhogmana

I think Dallas' 20 and the Astros victory are safe tonight.  Its in the eighth now, and Houston is up 17-2.  Dallas went six.

JHicks3636

Houston makes the playoffs despite losing today. They travel to New York to face the Yankees on Tuesday night. Tanaka goes for the Yanks. I have not seen who will start for Houston. The winner of the Wild card game then travels to Kansas City on Thursday to open a best-of-5 series against the Royals.

ucahogfan

Quote from: JHicks3636 on October 04, 2015, 06:43:22 pm
Houston makes the playoffs despite losing today. They travel to New York to face the Yankees on Tuesday night. Tanaka goes for the Yanks. I have not seen who will start for Houston. The winner of the Wild card game then travels to Kansas City on Thursday to open a best-of-5 series against the Royals.
I would be shocked if it was anyone else than who is going to win the AL Cy Young.