Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 MLB Draft thread

Started by JHicks3636, June 07, 2015, 09:00:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GatorHog

What happens to the team's pick if the HS guy decides to go to college?  Do they have any kind of option on the player later?

bulldog04

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 08, 2015, 07:25:46 pm
Still ticked off that Tyler Stephenson went to cinci. Unreal.
Should've been a Brave

JHicks3636

The Atlanta Braves  start the 2nd half of the 1st round by taking
14. Kolby Allard, LHP, HS
Allard has previously suffered a back stress fracture
This was the 1st of 5 picks the Braves have tonight

Milwaukee will select next

JHicks3636

Quote from: GatorHog on June 08, 2015, 07:27:44 pm
What happens to the team's pick if the HS guy decides to go to college?  Do they have any kind of option on the player later?
I think they get an early compensation pick the following year

Pigsfeat

Quote from: GatorHog on June 08, 2015, 07:27:44 pm

If the team does not sign the player, the player becomes eligible for anyone to draft the next year. Someone drafted this high will most likely sign because the money is too good!
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

bulldog04

Quote from: JHicks3636 on June 08, 2015, 07:31:30 pm
I think they get an early compensation pick the following year
The Astros got the 2nd pick for losing Aiken

JHicks3636

The Milwaukee Brewers select
15. Trent Clark, OF, HS
6th straight high school player picked

The New York Yankees go next

JHicks3636

Quote from: Pigsfeat on June 08, 2015, 07:33:30 pm
If the team does not sign the player, the player becomes eligible for anyone to draft the next year. Someone drafted this high will sign because the money is too good!

I don't think you are draft eligible again until after your Junior year, or a certain age if redshirted, etc.

SPAL

Quote from: JHicks3636 on June 08, 2015, 07:30:50 pm
The Atlanta Braves  start the 2nd half of the 1st round by taking
14. Kolby Allard, LHP, HS
Allard has previously suffered a back stress fracture
This was the 1st of 5 picks the Braves have tonight

Milwaukee will select next

I'm very pleased with this pick. He has a plus fastball that can get up to 96 with a plus breaking ball. MVP of the perfect game all american classic and gold medalist for team USA in the 18u Pan-am games.

Good looking prospect.

razCzar

Quote from: hoglady on June 08, 2015, 06:55:51 pm
The Boston teams really love our Razorbacks.
Who knows, it may have something to do with John Henry growing up in St. Francis County...... Naw, probably not.

AirForceHog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 08, 2015, 07:37:50 pm
I'm very pleased with this pick. He has a plus fastball that can get up to 96 with a plus breaking ball. MVP of the perfect game all american classic and gold medalist for team USA in the 18u Pan-am games.

Good looking prospect.

I hope his back isn't a problem.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

HogPsych

What Hogs do we anticipate going next? No one else this high right? Maybe Spoon 3-5 round?

JHicks3636

The Bronx Bombers uses its pick on
16. James Kaprielian, RHP, HS

The Cleveland Indians will go next

JHicks3636

The Cleveland Indians call on
17. Brady Aiken, LHP, HS
Was the #1 pick in 2014, but was not signed due to an injury that was found. Went to a prep school.

The defending World Champion San Francisco Giants get the next choice

Pigsfeat

Quote from: JHicks3636 on June 08, 2015, 07:47:21 pm
The Cleveland Indians call on
17. Brady Aiken, LHP, HS
Was the #1 pick in 2014, but was not signed due to an injury that was found. Went to a prep school.

The defending World Champion San Francisco Giants get the next choice

Tough break for that young man, but he should still see some pretty good money!
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

SPAL

Quote from: AirForceHog on June 08, 2015, 07:39:20 pm
I hope his back isn't a problem.

All indications are it won't be.

JHicks3636

The San Francisco Gigantes draft
18. Phil Bickford, RHP, College of Southern Nevada
A previous #10 selection. Was at Junior College and thus available for the draft.

The Pittsburg Pirates choose next

JHicks3636

The Pittsburg Pirates select
19. Kevin Newman, SS, Arizona

The Oakland Athletics are on the clock

Scott7703

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 08, 2015, 07:25:46 pm
Still ticked off that Tyler Stephenson went to cinci. Unreal.

What's your connection to Stephenson?

JHicks3636

The Oakland Athletics use cyber metrics to select
20. Richie Martin, SS, Florida
6 of the 20 picks have been Shortstops

The Kansas City Royals will go now

JHicks3636

Pretty much the SEC and high school draft

JHicks3636

The Kansas City Royals crown
21. Ashe Russell, RHP, HS

The Detroit Tigers are picking now

JHicks3636

The Detroit Tigers chump up
22. Beau Burrows, RHP, HS
A&M has its 2nd signee taken in the 1st round

The St. Louis Cardinals get the next player

justmaybe

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 08, 2015, 08:17:26 am
I admit I'm not even close to being in the same class as UCA as far as baseball recruiting and draft potential, but in my opinion, our class lacks the mega  hype that some of them have had. I see a bunch of solid contributors, but no real superstars.

I think I remember Van Horn saying a year or two ago they were going to start recruiting more with an eye to guys they could get to school. So they would bypass some top notch guys that would likely get drafted. Not in all cases but they were going to make it a priority.

JHicks3636

The St. Louis Cardinals pick up
23. Nick Plummer, OF, HS
Holladay goes out of the Cardinal game tonight with a leg injury after tripping and falling in left field going for a fly ball.

The LA Dodgers choose next

JHicks3636

The LA Dodgers select
24. Walker Buehler, RHP, Vandy
Vandys' 3rd 1st round pick

The Baltimore Orioles are up

ucahogfan

Quote from: Scott7703 on June 08, 2015, 08:01:26 pm
What's your connection to Stephenson?
Big time GA HS C as a Braves fan.  We wanted to see him in our farm.

I really like the Allard pick.  He would have been a top 10 pick if not injured.  Goes along with Hart going with a lot of high risk, high reward players.

ucahogfan

Quote from: JHicks3636 on June 08, 2015, 07:52:53 pm
The San Francisco Gigantes draft
18. Phil Bickford, RHP, College of Southern Nevada
A previous #10 selection. Was at Junior College and thus available for the draft.

The Pittsburg Pirates choose next
I wonder if Lincecum and Bickford will get together and exchange notes on the best type of weed to get.

Scott7703

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 08, 2015, 08:31:03 pm
Big time GA HS C as a Braves fan.  We wanted to see him in our farm.

I really like the Allard pick.  He would have been a top 10 pick if not injured.  Goes along with Hart going with a lot of high risk, high reward players.

Makes sense. Didn't realize y'all were both braves fans. Go Cards!

JHicks3636

The Baltimore Orioles pick up
25. D.J.  Stewart, OF, Florida State

The LA Angels will make the technical last pick in the 1st round next

ucahogfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 08, 2015, 07:08:09 pm
Gonna be a deep pitching class next year.
Yep, the class of 2016 is going to be ridiculous, but I can see where Fitt would say Jackson can go #1 overall.  He probably has a 65-70 grade fastball, 65-70 breaking ball, and has flashed a changeup that I think could wind up being a 60 grade.  He can clearly be a starter and has frontline potential.  The main issue is the control which is probably a 45 right now.  If he gets it up to 50-55, he will go top 5-10 easy.

King

Where's that Mo State pitcher we lit up on Friday?

Matt1224

Do you think we knocked Jon Harris (MSU Friday Starter) out of the first round? Was listed as number 10 prospect on MLB.com and he's still on the board at pick 26...

JHicks3636

The LA Angels gets its man in the final pick of the round
26. Taylor Ward, C, Fresno State
MLB had this guy ranked 99.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: King on June 08, 2015, 08:36:35 pm
Where's that Mo State pitcher we lit up on Friday?

Some projected him to be drafted by now, but almost all had him first round...
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

JHicks3636

We will now have 10 compensation picks. These picks are given to teams who made qualifying offers to free agents but could not resign them. The team signing the free agent loses its 1st round pick unless it is an 11th pick or better. If so, they lose their 2nd round pick. If they sign more than one qualified free agent, they lose each subsequent pick. I know the Red Sox did this.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Matt1224 on June 08, 2015, 08:37:57 pm
Do you think we knocked Jon Harris (MSU Friday Starter) out of the first round? Was listed as number 10 prospect on MLB.com and he's still on the board at pick 26...

I wouldnt think one outing knocked him down that much, but we did hammer him pretty good.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

JHicks3636

Colorado gets the 1st compensation pick for losing Michael Cuddyer to the Mets. The Mets lost its first round pick.
27. Mike Nikorak, RHP, HS

ricepig

I expect all 40 rounds........

JHicks3636

Quote from: ricepig on June 08, 2015, 08:46:40 pm
I expect all 40 rounds........
I have tonight in me. Figure after that we get any Hogs drafted

JHicks3636

The Atlanta Braves with the next pick for losing Ervin Santana to Minnesota who lost its 2nd round pick.
28. Michael Soroka, RHP, HS
The 2nd Canadian taken

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

JHicks3636

The Toronto Blue Jays get a comp pick for losing Melky Cabrera to the White Sox who lost its 2nd round pick.
29. Jon Harris, RHP, Missouri State
There you go

crownhog28

I like seeing all the Braves fans on here! Chop chop!

JHicks3636

Just interviewed Mike Schmidt who was chosen in the 2nd round in 1971. His signing bonus was 37,500.

ucahogfan

Florida State could have a miracle granted to them and get Daz Cameron to school.  He came out with a $5M price tag and it seems to have scared most teams away.

JHicks3636

The New York Yankees get a pick for losing David Robertson to the White Sox who lost its 2nd round pick.
30. Kyle Holder, SS, San Diego

bulldog04

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 08, 2015, 08:58:50 pm
Florida State could have a miracle granted to them and get Daz Cameron to school.  He came out with a $5M price tag and it seems to have scared most teams away.
They could but a team will make a run at him by saving on a couple if picks.  This is the interesting part of the new draft.

JHicks3636

The San Francisco Giants get compensation for losing Pablo Sandoval. Boston loses its 2nd round pick.
31. Chris Shaw, 1B, Boston College

ucahogfan

Jon Tayler ‏@JATayler  · 3h3 hours ago 
Dansby Swanson is the first college shortstop taken first overall since the Pirates drafted Jeff King out of Arkansas in 1986.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan  · 2h2 hours ago 
When Astros passed on Arkansas CF Andrew Benintendi at No. 5, Red Sox were thrilled. Sources say he's Boston's guy at No. 7.

Matt Jones ‏@matthewojones  · 2h2 hours ago 
Andrew Benintendi is Arkansas' fifth first round draft pick since 2007. Only Vanderbilt (7) has more among SEC teams during that time.