Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kayaking?

Started by 1highhog, February 01, 2008, 09:13:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

1highhog

Anybody on Hogville Kayak?  I'm wanting to buy one, and since I'm a rookie, I want to start on the economical side,,, hopefully under $400.00.  What I need are suggestions on what I need.  I want to use it mainly for quick little floats down Saline and the Caddo, doing some fishing here and there.  I'm probaly not going to be running down rapids or turning my self over just for the sheer fun of it. 
I would like one with a dry storage locker, and big enough to carry my fishing equipment.  What is better to have, one of the sit up top Kayaks or one that you actually sit in?  Any help would certainly be appreciated.

wendellgee

Can't offer any advice since I've never tried it but they look way more fun than canoes. We do an annual float trip at Glenwood every year & this year I'm renting the kayak. Canoe is more Crown Vic whereas the kayak seems more sports car.

1highhog

I agree.  I want a bigger Kayak than most I see, probaly 12 foot long or close.  I'm wanting to be able to carry alot of stuuf but yet not settle for a canoe.

Mitch C

I fear drowning; otherwise, I think I would love to kayak.  I had a bad canoe accident where I was pinned against the rocks for a moment by the force of the water.  Ever since then I have stayed to rafting and calmer waters.

DoggtownHog

Old Timer- Loon. I have this kayak and fish out of it all the time. I have even taken it on the Arkansas River from Burns Park passed I-440. Never once tumped over or felt unsafe. The river was gettin it through downtown but died just passed the runways at the airport. The kayak is 10.5 feet long and is a good all purpose boat.
How stupid a man is depends on where he's standing.

1highhog

Are you wanting to sell it?

JM Gorilla

Check out the Arkansas Canoe Club website.  They have a classified thread with lots of stuff for sale or trade.  You should be able to find a great used boat for under $400.

http://www.arkansascanoeclub.com/mb/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=50623b63fa196fd773b4fbc924562bac

DoggtownHog

I would suggest buying a used one. As long as it floats then you shouls be okay. The longer the kayak the better it will be at tracking, keeping a straight line on the water. I have a short kayak too(9') and it is basically a bobber in the water. It is better suited for swifter moving water. You could use it on open water but it will require much more work. I would stay in the 10.5' range for a good all purpose vessel. Look for sales at Academy Sports. They have some decent ones.
How stupid a man is depends on where he's standing.

Uncle_dad

I have a Dagger Crossover.  Great all around boat.  Taken it down the Mulberry, but I've also done some easier things and even fished out of it.  Impossible to turn over.  Lewis & Clark sometimes has a demo day in the spring.  They take several models down to Lake Fayetteville and you can try them out.  Even though they are expensive, you can get a feel for several different boats.