Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Punting Possibilities

Started by Hawgphat, August 17, 2017, 08:56:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgphat

Do you think that there is a real possibility that Cole Kelly could see some game punting action?  I read somewhere here that he has been achieving some 55-yarders with good hang time.

presidenthog

Quote from: Hawgphat on August 17, 2017, 08:56:12 pm
Do you think that there is a real possibility that Cole Kelly could see some game punting action?  I read somewhere here that he has been achieving some 55-yarders with good hang time.
I am 100% positive that it is nothing more than a passing idea. He will be nothing more than a #2, but we might try a trick play with him.

PorkRinds

No. The scholarship punter will be the punter.

Headhog32

theres a good chance that Kelly may be our starter for next year, and our backup qb of AA. I don't think were going to have him punting unless CBB trys to sneak him in for a trick passing play, during practices Cole Kelly is going to be taking snaps, not spending time punting

HamSammich

I think it's a HUGE possibility.... every coach in the history of cfb dreams of a punter than can pass. He may roll out in games where we have the lead and the other team has to defend him rather than punt block. It's huge. Think TAMU

If you can force a team not to punt block once a game it's HUGE

Headhog32

Quote from: HamSammich on August 17, 2017, 09:15:23 pm
I think it's a HUGE possibility.... every coach in the history of cfb dreams of a punter than can pass. He may roll out in games where we have the lead and the other team has to defend him rather than punt block. It's huge. Think TAMU

If you can force a team not to punt block once a game it's HUGE
I can see where you coming from I just don't see it happening

Hawgphat

IMHO, his capability HAS to be a plus for us - - - even if it turns out to be one that is rarely - or even NEVER - actually employed in a game situation.  In a crucial, hotly-contested game that is up for grabs in the waning moments, the opposition's knowledge that the Hog who has just entered the game to punt on fourth down - with the game on the line -  is also a heckuva passer, - - - just MIGHT conceivably FORCE the opposing defense to deploy their assets in a radically different manner from that which they would prefer, thereby giving us at least one alternative.

It's just a thought.

TebowHater

Quote from: Headhog32 on August 17, 2017, 09:15:01 pm
theres a good chance that Kelly may be our starter for next year, and our backup qb of AA. I don't think were going to have him punting unless CBB trys to sneak him in for a trick passing play, during practices Cole Kelly is going to be taking snaps, not spending time punting

That would be an impressive feat to sneak Kelly anywhere. Dude is massive. He literally his taller than some of our huge OL.

LittlePigMan

Another positive on having Cole punt is that it wouldn't be too likely that they would ever snap it over his head.

Headhog32

Quote from: LittlePigMan on August 17, 2017, 11:21:59 pm
Another positive on having Cole punt is that it wouldn't be too likely that they would ever snap it over his head.
LOL

Mike_e

Having game experience punting would be good for his resume.  Not only could an NFL team draft a QB they also get a backup punter.  Or vice versa.

I remember a place kicker that was also a backup QB.  Played for the Raiders  Worked out well for him.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

BaconAteHer

In a game of inches, forcing a team to burn a timeout when they see the backup qb come in to punt could be the difference.

Shorttimer

Bacons Rebellion

The Kig

If Kelly ever becomes our starting QB, his ability to punt may be a useful tool.  Doubtful that would be a remote possibility this year.  Almost no chance the potential future starting QB is put in a situation where inexperience could lead to major mistake or injury. 

There have been QBs on teams that have punted on 3rd down when nobody was back providing major strategic advantage in field position.  In a game of inches, pinning an unsuspecting team deep is as effective as points in specific situations. 
Poker Porker

oldfart

not often used but sometimes a good quick kick can be a highly strategic weapon.... in the old single wing days was more common, but in a shotgun formation its a realistic possibility

Headhog32

Quote from: oldfart on August 18, 2017, 10:42:45 pm
not often used but sometimes a good quick kick can be a highly strategic weapon.... in the old single wing days was more common, but in a shotgun formation its a realistic possibility
like how most high schools punt

daBoar

Quote from: TebowHater on August 17, 2017, 11:18:40 pm
That would be an impressive feat to sneak Kelly anywhere. Dude is massive. He literally his taller than some of our huge OL.
Don't you mean foot.

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

GolfnHog

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on August 19, 2017, 09:21:23 am
George Blanda, Oakland Raiders.

Hell folks the Hogs had a QB/Punter back in the day. Brad Taylor did both
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

PonderinHog

Quote from: GolfnHog on August 19, 2017, 10:10:33 am
Hell folks the Hogs had a QB/Punter back in the day. Brad Taylor did both
Mike Kirkland kicked and QB'd, didn't he?

bphi11ips

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on August 19, 2017, 09:21:23 am
George Blanda, Oakland Raiders.

I thought I remembered Blanda punting, too, and he did, but he was primarily a placekicker based on his career stats I was able to find.  He punted his rookie year for a 39.3 average and then only punted 5 more times in his career.  He retired as the all-time leading scorer in NFL history and still holds the record for number of extra points kicked at 943.

QBs were the punters more often than not for the first 100 years of football.  It wasn't unusual for a QB to "quick kick" on third down when his team was backed up against its own goal line.  A good rugby style quick kick sometimes flipped the field 60 or more yards with no returner deep to stop the roll.  Occassionally a team locked in a defensive battle might even quick kick on third down from midfield in an attempt to pin the opponent deep and hope for a fumble, blocked kick, poor punt or even a safety.  The QB was the key to the surprise on the quick kick, just as his offensive skills were what made him a natural choice to execute a fake punt.

Steve Spurrier won the Heisman as a QB but sat behind John Brodie in the NFL and punted.  Steve Little was a great high school QB.  Most punters are great athletes.  Blake Johnson, I believe, was an all-something LB in high school.  Cole Kelley can not only throw, he has some wheels for a guy 6'7" 268, and at 6'7", talk about leverage.  He can probably kick it 75 yards at times.  He might also shank it into the stands.  Consistency could be an issue for a player who devotes almost all his time to playing QB.  Fatigue also plays a big role.  For those reasons, specialization has taken over a position once dominated by QBs.

But Cole Kelley is still an intriguing option at punter.  And it would be fun to see Austin Allen quick kick just for old times sake.  I miss some of the old strategy in the kicking game. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bennyl08

Nobody here remember Mallett's 43 yard punt?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Mike_e

Quick kicking used to be a running joke about coach Broyles.  It used to drive my grandfather nuts.

These days it's more likely that we'd only do it once or twice to help with a package that saw CK in on 3rd and long.  Put in a couple of DBs at wide out as gunners and see if they could catch a bomb if they got open.  Fun times. 

HamSammich

I think we are missing the possibilities. It's 4th and 1 on the 50. Roll Ck out with a shotgun package or a punt  formation... before the snap change formations. The other team is going to have the wrong personnel in the game and call a timeout OR there will be zero punt blocking as the other team has to play as if it's a pass. Man you can cause pure chaos with this kid if he really punts this well

bphi11ips

Quote from: Mike_e on August 19, 2017, 02:52:37 pm
Quick kicking used to be a running joke about coach Broyles.  It used to drive my grandfather nuts.

These days it's more likely that we'd only do it once or twice to help with a package that saw CK in on 3rd and long.  Put in a couple of DBs at wide out as gunners and see if they could catch a bomb if they got open.  Fun times. 

You're confusing a quick kick with Broyles' famous "pooch punt".  Broyles was known for kicking on 4th and short sometimes deep in enemy territory.  The punter was supposed to "pooch" the ball near the opponent's goal line. 

The famous "pooch punt" your grandfather hated most happened against Baylor in 1966.  Arkansas had won 23 straight regular season games and 16 straight SWC games when they were locked in a scoreless tie late against Baylor in Fayetteville.  Facing a fourth and 3 at the Baylor 29, Broyles called for the pooch.  The snap sailed over the punter's head. Baylor recovered at midfield and scored the only touchdown in a 7-0 loss.

If I heard a reference to "pooch punt" once from angry fans in the stands back in the day,  I heard it a thousand times.  Broyles never lived it down.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Mike_e

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 19, 2017, 05:12:20 pm
You're confusing a quick kick with Broyles' famous "pooch punt".  Broyles was known for kicking on 4th and short sometimes deep in enemy territory.  The punter was supposed to "pooch" the ball near the opponent's goal line. 

The famous "pooch punt" your grandfather hated most happened against Baylor in 1966.  Arkansas had won 23 straight regular season games and 16 straight SWC games when they were locked in a scoreless tie late against Baylor in Fayetteville.  Facing a fourth and 3 at the Baylor 29, Broyles called for the pooch.  The snap sailed over the punter's head. Baylor recovered at midfield and scored the only touchdown in a 7-0 loss.

If I heard a reference to "pooch punt" once from angry fans in the stands back in the day,  I heard it a thousand times.  Broyles never lived it down.

You are correct Sir, my apologies.

As it turns out this grey goes all the way through my head.  :)