Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback QB's

Started by Hoggy Hogalot, April 11, 2006, 01:43:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think should be the starting QB for the 1st game of the season?

Mitch Mustain
71 (51.8%)
Robert Johnson
18 (13.1%)
Casey Dick
48 (35%)
Alex Mortenson
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Hoggy Hogalot

I hope it's Mitch.Just because he knows Gus's offence better than any of the QB's we have right now.

TheMayorOfHogtown

I would vote for who ever earns the job.  Seems pretty wide open right now.

jforte

I'll vote next autumn when practice has started for a few weeks

brooks74

I would have said Casey Dick before spring practice, but from the looks of things MM is looking better by default all the time.  I know it is spring, and it is hard to judge much, but...

bosshawg38

My vote goes to Casey Dick right now. Whoever performs best in August should take the job, whoever it might be.

DevilHog

My opinion, as a Hog fan, is that Mitch NEEDS to be the best quaterback. If he is not, even as a Freshman, then we did not get the recruit we think we got. It is not a situation where we had an exeptional quarterback before. He is sopposed to be exceptional, so he BETTER be the best we have. I am of the opinion that he will be the starter, albeit sooner than it may have been at another school.

FLKeysGuy

My vote:  The Parade, USA Today, and Gatorade 2005 High School Player of the Year.  He's got the physical skills, the decision making skills, AND he's forgotten more about Gus' system than any of the QB's on campus can learn in 4 months.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

But does he have nunchuck and bow hunting skills too?

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on April 11, 2006, 02:17:34 pm

You can probably find the answer to that on this 15-page thread! 8)

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php/topic,53903.0.html

zwhogfan

I honestly thought it would be Dick before the spring started. But with his performance and that of the other QB's I think it is now a wide open race. It was Dick's job to lose and I think he hasn't locked it up. I was almost 100% sure Dick would step up and he has not. Before spring, I just figured Mitch would redshirt and would maybe play the following year. Now it is looking more and more like Mitch will have a legitimate shot at being the starting QB. If he is as good as advertised and adjusts to the game speed quickly, then I wouldn't be at all surprised if he is starting when USC comes.

CiriusPorker

if you've been to scrimmages or practices,..it should be unanimous...Mitch.

tophawg19

the problem is comparing HS mitch to casey's spring . mitch is going to struggle when he gets to meet MR. HERRING'S defense although the offense should be better prepared by then . this is all new to the qb's and wr's they just learned that you can throw the ball down the field . it's a new concept . mitch will look better come fall but so will all the qb's cause the wr's will be better .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

prairiehog

It will be Dick. We saw what Johnson did. MM is good but that was in high school.

J.A.Y.

There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

Ugly Uncle

Does anyone actually believe we have a chance against USC?  I will be there cheering for us to pull the upset...but it would be a HUGE upset if we did.

Mitch gives us IMO the best chance, since I truly believe he is our best player at that position.  Would it be better to let him adjust by being redshirted?  Well, sure...but that I don't believe is what puts us in the best opportunity to make a competitive showing.  Will he be raw?  Will he be a little unprepared?  Yeah...but as one poster put it, he was all world at the highest division of HS football in the state.  That isn't the SEC, that for sure isn't USC, but from what I have seen at the practices that I have been to, he gives us the best shot.  Casey is just one year removed from High School...he wasn't near the player that MM was in H.S.  Yes he has some game experience...but IMO he would okay, but Mitch would be better than okay.  Better than okay is the best we have now...I think we should go with that.
Retired Radio Host

Broken Trigger

I am still undecided about the QB for the first game, i would lean toward Casey i think.  I suspect that by mid-season that Mitch may sew up the starting nod.  Who knows though?  It may be RJ.  I just want the one who is playing the best and gives us the best chance to win games. 

PorkSoda

Mustain and company outscored opponents 6:1.  granted this is not high school, but I'll take half that.  say 3:1. 

plus, Mustain is the only one with an arm to throw down field.  Vertical passing doesn't work to well if your throwing lame ducks.  why do you think we haven't done that yet.

16+1=6 thats the formula right?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: uglyuncle on April 11, 2006, 07:26:27 pm
Does anyone actually believe we have a chance against USC?  I will be there cheering for us to pull the upset...but it would be a HUGE upset if we did.

Its the first game of the year, anything can happen.  I think that at least puts us on a level playing field.  I think conditioning will be the key in the 4th.  If our defense can keep from giving up too many big plays early, it will be anyone's game.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

zwhogfan

If our defense doesn't give up any big plays, we definitely have a chance. Remember, we have McFadden and Felix Jones, one of the best, if not the best backfield in the nation. We saw how Texas was able to run all over USC's defense last year in the NC. Not that our QB can run like Vince Young but Texas' running backs were also picking up good yardage, and I guarantee you that USC's defense isn't any better than last year, especially with the loss of Darnell Bing. If we can get the passing game going a little bit then USC can't stack the box, when they can't load up the box its over for them. D-Mac, Jones, and Hillis on the field together...that's scary, it means that there is a mismatch somewhere.

clemensrules01

lets trade for peyton manning or tom brady or someone like that. that's what i would do if i was AD. frank bryoles, of course, wont. he doesnt have the balls to trade for a top-notch player. that lazy jackass.

HamShank

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on April 11, 2006, 02:17:34 pm

Mitch Mustain doesn't break wind; he destroys it. 

(15 page thread be darned!  Let's start it again!)

hogman64

IMO if you dont have a QB that is head and shoulders better than every other QB on campus you arent going to be successful in the SEC.........So I hope one of those guys turns out to be clearly the best, otherwise we will suck again.........

excoach

It would appear from all reports of how the spring  practice is going, the Qb's on campus are not getting the job done. I believe Mitch will move to the top once fall practice starts, simply becasue of his understanding of Gus's system. The biggest problem Mitch is going to have is adjusting to the speed of the college game.