Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will our QB's have much of an option

Started by pigture perfect, April 11, 2006, 07:11:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pigture perfect

to audibilize in Gus's Offensive scheme. I repeatedly hear that the key to this offense is to take what the defense gives. When a good defense shifts during the play count, some adjustments need to be made. Will the QB be given some freedom to Audible? How much? Just curious.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

FLKeysGuy

Mitchell had the 'authority' to check off plays at the line.  I distinctly remember a game where he saw Damian was lined up in one on one coverage and audibled a deep route that translated into 6 quick points.  Apparently when Mitch walked back to the sidelines he gave Gus the big grin.  He was probably thinking, "I called that play brutha!"

HoopS

I remember seeing Fl Keys Guy check off into a Smoke Draw a while back.  Boy, you should have seen that hand off. ;)

hogfan064

I don't think there will be much audibilizing early in the year, but as the QBs mature with the system I think you'll see more of it.  In a couple years I think you'll see alot of it once Gus' system is totally in place.  Maybe something similar to what Spurrier does.

zwhogfan

I agree with Hogfan 064, I think it will take the QB some time to get adjusted initially, but after a few games, I wouldn't be surprised to see some plays changed at the line.

idochog

I figure Gus will give the QBs a run option/pass option at first and then that may expand later.
I love Jesus!

hogfan064

Quote from: zwhogfan on April 11, 2006, 08:02:56 am
I agree with Hogfan 064, I think it will take the QB some time to get adjusted initially, but after a few games, I wouldn't be surprised to see some plays changed at the line.

I'm looking at our situation similar to Spurrier's at USC.  Let me explain

Spurrier came to USC with a complicated passing attack.  The problem was USC for many years under Lou Holtz was a power running team.  RBs like Derek Watson, Andrew Pinnock, and Demetrius Summers were relied on heavily in Holtz's very conservative offense.  Spurrier inherited QBs like Syvelle Newton who is a scrambler, not a Spurrier type QB.  Spurrier had young dropback QB in Blake Mitchell who had attempted less than 20 passes his freshman year.  When Spring came in 2005 Spurrier's offense showed signs of the Fun N Gun, but wasn't a fully polished version of the offense.  Once the season began at USC you could tell the offense wasn't to sharp.  They relied on their defense alot and struggled early in the year.  THen at midseason everything clicked.  They beat UK, a good Vandy team, Tennessee, and Florida all in consecutive weeks.  Fast forward to Spring of 2006 and Spurrier's system is in place.  The young WRs he recruited last year are adjusted to the system and Blake Mitchell is comfortable with the offense.  Spurrier also has something he didn't have last year and that's reliable backup QBs and a 4 star freshman QB coming in August. 

Now compare that to Arkansas.  The Hogs under Nutt(like Holtz) have relied on a strong running attack under Nutt.  The QBs we've had have been scramblers.  Gus inherits a young dropback QB(like Blake at USC) in Casey Dick, but Casey has limited experience in a pass offense.  Gus, like Spurrier has a very good group of freshmen WRs coming in. 

The difference between Spurrier and Gus is this.  Spurrier kicked his bigtime RB off the team and suspended his other quality RB(Corey Boyd, who is back this year) for 1 year.   Spurrier had to start a true freshman at RB and at backup another true freshman who weighed only about 170.  Arkansas has 2 potential all americans at RB and possibly the best recieving RB in the SEC in Hillis. 

Arkansas also has a QB who grew up in this system and a WR and TE who did the same thing. 

Audibles won't come early, but once the QBs get comfortable look for some killer PAs coming from them with 2 stud RBs behind whoever the QB is.

pigture perfect

Man, this is good stuff. I appreciate all the info. I'm getting more excited about season coming. I thought I was the only one who thought we would start off slowly.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

excoach

I've seen Gus change the play 3 times before the snap.

RealSmartGuy

THe idea of the hurry up, is to go so fast, there isn't all this pre-snap movement, the defense is just trying to get lined up, Gus eliminates that due to the speed of the game, now they will line up fast and then check to him.  The point being that by the time the defense gets the call and gets lined up, you are snapping the ball, in high school the ball was snapped between 23 and 21 seconds left on a 25 second play clock, so the defense stemming and creating controversy is limited.

As for audibling, its not like your QB has to be a rocket scientist, if you have a smash route (stop/post-corner called and the defense is in cover 3, its logical that they will check out of this play to either a hitch screen or 4 verticals.  I am sure the checks are logical and are known by all QB's.  Also, if Gus has called Counter Trey to the 3 tech, I am sure that the QB can change it to the 1 tech side.  Also, Gus has receivers read coverage to adjust their routes depending on where the defense will be, this is the same thing as an audible, just not called, the receiver and Qb will just know it.

silvertip

Well, I just finally got Gus's book & the simple answer is, yes, there will be plenty of audibles by the QB to get out of bad plays. The more complicated answer is similar to what RealSmartGuy posted above.

Also, I just read a quote by Casey Dick about him & RJ getting sacked in Monday practice. He basically said that it is up to the QB to recognize when the called play won't work & to "get out of" that play.

Gus's system is not real complicated for his players to understand. The offense will be lined up by the time the ref whistles the ball in play. The offensive play would have already been signaled in and then the QB has the option to call an audible.

Especially if Mustain is the starter, I expect a lot of audibles by the QB, starting with the first game. WPS!!!

bythelake

The problem is that as the level of play esculates;  high school to college and college to pros, the defenses are more sophisticated and are designed to disguise the coverages.  It will take Gus a while to understand this and even more time for the QB's to comprehend.  Give them time.  I think they are on the right track, but it takes time. 

PIGINAPOKE

The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?