Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BB Question: Why Not?

Started by SAUhogfan, April 10, 2006, 08:39:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SAUhogfan

Has anyone heard anything about Bozeman from Magnolia?  Ramar's out, and even if Beverly comes, won't we still have an extra scholarship?  Bozeman just decomitted to Ole Miss about a week ago because of the coaching change.  He's kind of skinny, but he can shoot.  Probably wouldn't have even been considered 10 years ago, but hey, it ain't 10 years ago anymore.  We need some help.

Hogwild07

Yeah he's a pretty good player.  He averaged like 36 points a game.  It wouldnt hurt to get him.  We are now in severe need of good guards.  The knock on him is that he did this in 2A.  If i had to pick any 2A player in the state that could shoot, I would pick Brooks Taylor. I honestly cant stand him and his attitude, but he is a great player.  I question whether he would be that good in the SEC though.  However, he didnt just dominate against small schools. He dropped 41 against state runner-up Jonesboro and scored 40 soomething against James Anderson of Junction City.  He can shoot and score and thats what we need.  I wish we would have invited him to walk on and see if he could earn a scholarship.

SAUhogfan

Not to be snooty, but Magnolia is a 4A school.

SpenceHogg

Right, Magnolia is 4A, in fact they got to the 4A championship game but lost.

mbgrulz

we have 2 scholies for this year, but we might hang on to 1 and have 3 next year...i think. if i am not mistaken, we are looking at james anderson(AR MR. basketball) and ravern johnson(MS MR. b-ball). maybe by pocketing one this year, we can still go after sanchez. regardless, if we dont have a good season, we will be looking for a new coach, and hopefully it will be somebody who our recruits are impressed with.  ie--not some "rising star" from small college u. can somebody tell me how NC state has the intellegence to go after the big boys? offer them the doe. dont tell me that we cant pay that much. we have some of the richest men in america living on UA's doorstep.

SAUhogfan

Bozeman can shoot.  Looked to me like he would step back and nail NBA 3's when they would start covering him too hard.  Plus he shot 90 percent or better on his free throws, and he took alot of them.  I'm probably biased towards him, but I can't remember the last time we had anyone who shot 85+ at the line.

mbgrulz

probably because nobody every has. i dont know what our record % is, but anybody who shoots a good amount of free-throws and keeps it over 85% is a freak. someone who shoots 70-80% is very good. free throws are shot between the ears, its hard to have that much concentration, but it makes all the difference in the world when you are money from the line.

SAUhogfan

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 10, 2006, 10:19:35 pm
probably because nobody every has. i dont know what our record % is, but anybody who shoots a good amount of free-throws and keeps it over 85% is a freak. someone who shoots 70-80% is very good. free throws are shot between the ears, its hard to have that much concentration, but it makes all the difference in the world when you are money from the line.

I should have looked before I posted that because it looks like we have had some pretty decent free throw shooters in some years.

http://www.arsnonline.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=269

I knew Bradley and Hawkins could really shoot'em.

wrightobe

Quote from: SAUhogfan on April 10, 2006, 09:51:30 pm
Bozeman can shoot.  Looked to me like he would step back and nail NBA 3's when they would start covering him too hard.  Plus he shot 90 percent or better on his free throws, and he took alot of them.  I'm probably biased towards him, but I can't remember the last time we had anyone who shot 85+ at the line.
If he can shoot 90% at the free throw line, and handle the ball, (no turnovers), MAN!!!, let's get him some how, some way.

That will win 4 to 6 games at the least, that we have been losing, due to poor free throw shooting!!!

wrightobe

Quote from: SAUhogfan on April 10, 2006, 10:23:06 pm

I should have looked before I posted that because it looks like we have had some pretty decent free throw shooters in some years.

http://www.arsnonline.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=269

The guard that played with Ricky Medlock, I can not remember his name, I believe it was  Brown, I did not see his name on the roster, but I think he shot around 85%, and between him and Ricky Medlock, the free throw line was deadly for the Razorbacks that year, and I believe it was Eddie Sutton's second year, as the Coach of Razorbacks.

CallMeAl

Quote from: SAUhogfan on April 10, 2006, 08:39:37 pm
Has anyone heard anything about Bozeman from Magnolia?  Ramar's out, and even if Beverly comes, won't we still have an extra scholarship?  Bozeman just decomitted to Ole Miss about a week ago because of the coaching change.  He's kind of skinny, but he can shoot.  Probably wouldn't have even been considered 10 years ago, but hey, it ain't 10 years ago anymore.  We need some help.

We need to get this guy. I hear that he is Bill Brasky's illegitimate son. He shoots 90 percent from the three and never has a turnover. He outrebounded King Kong and nailed all the cheerleaders during one high school basketball game.
Hog since birth.

SAUhogfan

Quote from: Rusty Shackleford on April 10, 2006, 10:54:34 pm
Quote from: SAUhogfan on April 10, 2006, 08:39:37 pm

We need to get this guy. I hear that he is Bill Brasky's illegitimate son. He shoots 90 percent from the three and never has a turnover. He outrebounded King Kong and nailed all the cheerleaders during one high school basketball game.

That's funny!  Sounds like Davor Rimac to me.

Hogwild07

Quote from: SAUhogfan on April 10, 2006, 08:46:20 pm
Not to be snooty, but Magnolia is a 4A school.
Sorry...I forgot they were the team that played Blytheville in the state championship.  If the guy is that good of a shooter and can score that many points in 4a basketball, why would we not give him a scholarship?  He is not small either...I believe he is atleast 6-3.  Also, sometimes the guys who actually end up being good in college are the guys that stay in state.  Instead of landing more highly rated recruits, we need to focus on keeping guys like Bozeman in the state.  He could end up being a diamond in the rough and most of the time guys from the state their college is in play harder.  Look at all the mid-major schools that are having success.  They are not getting big time recruits from across the country.  Instead they recruit local kids.  I'm not saying we shouldn't try to get the best players in the nation, but we should not pass up great players in our own backyard.

hogsanity

Preston Cranford scored a bunch in HS too.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Jim Harris

Quote from: wrightobe on April 10, 2006, 10:54:18 pm

The guard that played with Ricky Medlock, I can not remember his name, I believe it was  Brown, I did not see his name on the roster, but I think he shot around 85%, and between him and Ricky Medlock, the free throw line was deadly for the Razorbacks that year, and I believe it was Eddie Sutton's second year, as the Coach of Razorbacks.

robert birden.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

SAUhogfan

I saw another article saying that he was being recruited by schools from the Atlantic 10, Big East, and SEC.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060405/SPORTS030103/60405006

wrightobe

Quote from: drakehog on April 11, 2006, 02:25:51 pm

robert birden.
Thanks, I remember now.  I thought he was a good solid player.

Jim Harris

Quote from: wrightobe on April 11, 2006, 07:18:36 pm
Quote from: drakehog on April 11, 2006, 02:25:51 pm

robert birden.
Thanks, I remember now.  I thought he was a good solid player.

Birden was signed and placed by Florida State and Hugh Durham when Florida State was worth a crap (title game, 1972, losing to the Bruins), but he ended up wanting to come back home (and Durham may have moved on by 1973, I can't remember now) after JUCO and he signed with Lanny Van Eman. Sutton inherited Medlock and Birden for his first year. Birden used to have these incredible shootouts in high school with Central's Fred Allen, another guard who could have played for the Hogs, but went to Middle Tennessee, pre-Sutton. Birden had a 51-point game one night against Stuttgart, and it was about 80 percent of Pine Bluff's points that night. He and Medlock (who was a 90-percent foul shooter) had to be the best foul-shooting combo of modern times). Tommy Boyer and whoever was his backcourt mate back in 1961(?) would've probably been up in the high 80s as a combo, too.
Sutton was luckier than Nolan and Stan in that he inherited a good backcourt when he arrived. There should be no surprise that Nolan struggled early with the guards he inherited, or that Stan has taken four years to build with the no guards he inherited.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson