Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike made an interesting observation on his show this am

Started by Boarcephus, April 10, 2006, 07:13:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarcephus

I think I heard this right but about the time they were really getting into it, I had to go on inside.    Mike, if I missed the points, feel free to correct me.  In essense he said that when Ford was forced to hire Stephenson and implement his pro-style passing attack, the defense blitzed the heck out of it during practice, supposedly under Fords orders.   Under this intense pressure, the offense was unable to get everything installed and Stephenson was asking, if not begging, Ford to call off the dogs.   The offense needed time to learn it and Ford was wanting it to fail so he didn't call off the pressure. 

Herring is doing the same thing this year to the offense and it's thought Gus might be too proud, or nice,  to ask for help.   The question was, is this a similar situation to what Ford did to Stephenson?   Never heard the ending, did anyone else?
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

mikeirwin

I said there are rumors that the same thing is going on this spring.
I also said I have found no basis for the rumors. It doesn't mean that there's nothing to it but I have NOT found anything concrete.
I think a lot of people are assuming that Gus is being interfered with. If that's the case show me some real evidence because I'm not assuming anything.

nwarazfan

April 10, 2006, 08:02:59 pm #2 Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 08:12:21 pm by nwarazfan
Quote from: Boarcephus on April 10, 2006, 07:13:23 pm
I think I heard this right but about the time they were really getting into it, I had to go on inside.    Mike, if I missed the points, feel free to correct me.  In essense he said that when Ford was forced to hire Stephenson and implement his pro-style passing attack, the defense blitzed the heck out of it during practice, supposedly under Fords orders.   Under this intense pressure, the offense was unable to get everything installed and Stephenson was asking, if not begging, Ford to call off the dogs.   The offense needed time to learn it and Ford was wanting it to fail so he didn't call off the pressure. 

Herring is doing the same thing this year to the offense and it's thought Gus might be too proud, or nice,  to ask for help.   The question was, is this a similar situation to what Ford did to Stephenson?   Never heard the ending, did anyone else?

What?  Are you serious?  Could it be that our defense is working on what it needs to especially since it opens against a team that hung 70 [CENSORED] points on it last year?  We don' t have the defensive personnel to play good teams straight up.  Therefore we have to stunt and blitz which requires timing.

Oh but poor lil Gus is being picked on.  If its happening, this board will sniff it out.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Putting Casey Dick flat on his back during a scrimmage with a hit that even he admitted would take weeks to heal is not a good sign. 

I don't think they shouldn't go full speed or anything, I just think that you shouldn't do that to one of your best QB's.  Kind of makes me wonder if they aren't trying to mess with Gus a little....

IMO
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

DOGALUM

Quote from: nwarazfan on April 10, 2006, 08:02:59 pm
Quote from: Boarcephus on April 10, 2006, 07:13:23 pm
I think I heard this right but about the time they were really getting into it, I had to go on inside.    Mike, if I missed the points, feel free to correct me.  In essense he said that when Ford was forced to hire Stephenson and implement his pro-style passing attack, the defense blitzed the heck out of it during practice, supposedly under Fords orders.   Under this intense pressure, the offense was unable to get everything installed and Stephenson was asking, if not begging, Ford to call off the dogs.   The offense needed time to learn it and Ford was wanting it to fail so he didn't call off the pressure. 

Herring is doing the same thing this year to the offense and it's thought Gus might be too proud, or nice,  to ask for help.   The question was, is this a similar situation to what Ford did to Stephenson?   Never heard the ending, did anyone else?

What?  Are you serious?  Could it be that our defense is working on what it needs to especially since it opens against a team that hung 70 [CENSORED] points it last year?  We don' t have the defensive personnel to play good teams straight up.  Therefore we have to stunt and blitz which requires timing.

Oh but poor lil Gus is being picked on.  If its happening, this board will sniff it out.
Gus and the offense will be just fine.  They are 1-1 in the two scrimmages so far.  Their "loss" was with no McFadden, limited Jones, and injured WRs.  I doubt he's too worried about that scrimmage.  Plus, he's still got the Springdale boys coming in to take things up yet another notch.  Like I said.....I doubt he's losing too much sleep over the last scrimmage.  Let's see what happens this Saturday.  (provided his boys are healthy)
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

nwarazfan

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on April 10, 2006, 08:07:14 pm
Putting Casey Dick flat on his back during a scrimmage with a hit that even he admitted would take weeks to heal is not a good sign. 

I don't think they shouldn't go full speed or anything, I just think that you shouldn't do that to one of your best QB's.  Kind of makes me wonder if they aren't trying to mess with Gus a little....

IMO

Dick needs all the live, full contact action he can get since his experience comes from playing against 2 sorry SEC teams, an avg SEC team and only one good one.  Let him learn to read the blitzing LB.  This program has been soft since Nutt took over.  Its what the players at that time wanted when they voted for him to be their coach.

BloodRedHog

Quote from: nwarazfan on April 10, 2006, 08:15:41 pm
Dick needs all the live, full contact action he can get since his experience comes from playing against 2 sorry SEC teams, an avg SEC team and only one good one.  Let him learn to read the blitzing LB.  This program has been soft since Nutt took over.  Its what the players at that time wanted when they voted for him to be their coach.

True. They had heard TT was too tough.
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

alabama Hawg

I find it hard to believe that Nutt is trying to undermine the offense this spring.  In fact, Gus had to talk Nutt into letting the QBs get hit during the scrimmage.  It was Gus's idea (and a good one).

Also, Nutt has been responsible for plenty over the past 8 years but being soft is not one of them.  Being physical has been a strength over the years IMO.

Ross U (HDHF)

April 10, 2006, 08:25:52 pm #8 Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 08:33:50 pm by HopelesslyDevotedHogFan

IMO

I think (check that, I know...thx bama) I heard from someone on this board that the full contact on the QB's was Gus' call.  Even without that I agree with nwarazfan.  This kind of contact is good for the QB's.  They're gonna have to learn how to react to getting pressure.  Better now than during the USC game.

nwarazfan

Quote from: alabama Hawg on April 10, 2006, 08:24:24 pm
I find it hard to believe that Nutt is trying to undermine the offense this spring.  In fact, Gus had to talk Nutt into letting the QBs get hit during the scrimmage.  It was Gus's idea (and a good one).

Also, Nutt has been responsible for plenty over the past 8 years but being soft is not one of them.  Being physical has been a strength over the years IMO.

Its no coincidence Nutt's best teams were hardened under an old school coach in Ford. 

Hogwild07

The defense needs to get their work in too, but shaking off some rust in areas like tackling is a little easier than trying to implement an entirely new and very complex no huddle offense.  If Nutt is telling Herring to go all out so he can make Gus look bad, he needs to get his sorry ass out of here.  If he wants to win games, he will patiently allow the offense to adjust to the new system.  That is what will get him fired.  However, I do not believe this is the case.  Hopefully, and I think so, this is all rumor and speculation.  I would think that no coaches are against each  other and they are all working together to win games.

Dwight_K_Shrute

1.  Could it be that Herring is an intense, competitive SOB.
2.  This is Herring's second year with the defense compared to Gus's first year.
3.  Gus is just as competitive and knows the only way his offense will get better is against a full boar SEC D.

If everyone survives it will only make the offense and defense better.  These guys will knock the piss out of each other in practice but come September they will be ready to go to war together as a team.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

BigoBoys

I like the chemistry of the coaches.  Herring is a wild out of control former LB(wouldn't want to run into him in a bad mood), HDN is a nervous woman in a man's body(worry wart), Gus and Alex seem to be very calculating and strategic.  I think if they can keep it together it's going to work. 

IMO

Can't say I disagree with this.  It just would suck to have this great offense if our skill players are getting hurt in practice.  But I think you are right about him (and the others) needing the experience, Lord knows The Nutt didn't help him get enough of it..

WPS
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

OklaU

Do you think Nutt sits at home and plays the Red/White game on EA Sports NCAA football.  He continues to sack, get interceptions, fumbles on defense.  While he scores on every play with the draw play.  All the while screaming at the TV Set " I CALLED THAT PLAY CHUCK...HAHAHA"

Hmm?
"Just because you had the last word, doesn't make it anymore true."

mikeirwin

Quote from: HopelesslyDevotedHogFan on April 10, 2006, 08:25:52 pm
I heard from someone on this board that the full contact on the QB's was Gus' call. 
Gus and Alex Wood talked Nutt into allowing the QBs to be tackled full speed by the defense.
Both Casey and RJ got steamrolled but Casey bounced back and didn't miss any scrimmage time. Robert did not return to the scrimmage after he was hit hard. He admitted today he was still a little sore from the big hit he absorbed.

This is the difference.  I hear about Gus and Alex suggesting something, and I step back and think, "Hmm.  They are good coaches.  They are probably right.  Good job." 

I'm so used to the opposite I have to do a double take.  It's tough getting used to...

Thanks once again for the great information, Mike.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 10, 2006, 10:42:56 pm
Quote from: HopelesslyDevotedHogFan on April 10, 2006, 08:25:52 pm
I heard from someone on this board that the full contact on the QB's was Gus' call. 
Gus and Alex Wood talked Nutt into allowing the QBs to be tackled full speed by the defense.
Both Casey and RJ got steamrolled but Casey bounced back and didn't miss any scrimmage time. Robert did not return to the scrimmage after he was hit hard. He admitted today he was still a little sore from the big hit he absorbed.

Someone else said it well when they said its one thing to be an Olineman and have to look your QB in the face and say sorry cause its your fault he got leveled.  I think it was awesome.

Also i know both Dick and RJ are going to have a LOT less protection this year and we need to be used to taking a lick.

oldbooniehog

[/quote]

Hey.....that sounds like all of last season......and even the season before.....Robert Johnson takes a big hit, and fails to rebound or return.

oldbooniehog.

stronguard

Why does everything have to be a conspiracy?  Most of the folks who are saying that HDN is a bumbling inept idiot are the same ones yelling about all of his behind the scenes scheming.  Nutt and Markuson are not Pinky and the Brain (a completely different post on who would be whom). 

I think that IF the D was asked to hold off a little in the beginning it was to see how the new Offense looked and felt.  Not necessarily against an all out D but how it would look while in the flow of a game where running had been established.  What they saw looked pretty good too, so in the next situation they let the D loose.  They had to like that too.

Now as far as injuring QB's goes, WHO CARES.  As long as it isn't season ending it's cool.  It is spring, plenty of time to heal from bumps and bruises especially for the BACKUP QB's.  Mitch is going to start, he has been anointed (whether fairly or not) as the savior of a flailing program.  HDN cannot afford to sit him even if he would accept it. 

I say let the D keep rolling.  Get the bulk of the offense ready for everything you can so that they can protect our Freshman QB when USC throws every single blitz that Petey has thought up for the last 20 years at us.  If our O-line can hold up we might have a chance at a successful season.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

stronguard

One more thing.  The mark of a professional journalist is to cite your sources or your lack thereof.  Mike made it CRYSTAL clear that this whole thing is a rumor and nothing more.  Nonetheless, I am grateful for the subject banter.

WooooHoooo 250 posts.......
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

wildhogman

Another thing to consider about hitting the QB's. Our offense will be based on making quick reads, quick decisions, and quick throws. They are learning now in the spring what will happen to them and even worse if they dont do it right. Hold the ball an extra second, be heistant, miscalculate, forget about the 3 second clock running in your head, and it will mean meeting a LB or Dlinemen head on. Its good for them to learn it now. You can block with only 5 Olinemen, but you cant block forever, and the QBs learned that the hardway Sat. In the long run it will be a great thing.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: wildhogman on April 11, 2006, 01:01:41 am
Another thing to consider about hitting the QB's. Our offense will be based on making quick reads, quick decisions, and quick throws. They are learning now in the spring what will happen to them and even worse if they dont do it right. Hold the ball an extra second, be heistant, miscalculate, forget about the 3 second clock running in your head, and it will mean meeting a LB or Dlinemen head on. Its good for them to learn it now. You can block with only 5 Olinemen, but you cant block forever, and the QBs learned that the hardway Sat. In the long run it will be a great thing.

Agree.

I saw all the QB's hesitate when they had a guy open.  Then the rush was on them.  It seems to me (an outsider) that Gus' offense is about mismatches.  If the QB's don't pick up that mismatch early and deliver the ball...then they probably need a helmet in their chest to remind them next time.
Retired Radio Host

VoR

Quote from: uglyuncle on April 11, 2006, 01:10:57 am
Quote from: wildhogman on April 11, 2006, 01:01:41 am

Agree.

I saw all the QB's hesitate when they had a guy open.  Then the rush was on them.  It seems to me (an outsider) that Gus' offense is about mismatches.  If the QB's don't pick up that mismatch early and deliver the ball...then they probably need a helmet in their chest to remind them next time.

Aye, the greatest thing about timing plays is it is just that, read the defense at the line, get the ball, deliver the ball, you don't have time to 2nd guess yourself, more times then not your 1st instinct is the right 1.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.