Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Officially not renewing season tickets

Started by counsellorhog, April 10, 2006, 04:11:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigndblanket

I sit on the 6th row.  While my seats are in the corner of the end zone I can see everything just fine.  I am strategically placed right above where the opposing team comes out.  I have two tickets there, plus ordered 7 seats in Little Rock and my total bill was only $900.

I suppose you are trying to make a statement, but that is no way to be a fan.  If you truly believe in the program, no matter who the coach or AD are, at least buy nosebleed end zone seats and give them to some kids who cannot afford to go.  They will surely have a good time.

Hugehogsfan

The thing about this arguement is that he has the right not to buy tickets.  I don't see why we care for one thing, another is that it is sometimes hard to get season tickets at least good ones.  I mean my family has five now and we have had a difficult time getting them together.   In fact for years at WM we had to be seperated.  I for one am glad that people will let their tickets go, because maybe I can move closer to the 50.  But the hard thing is keeping all of the tickets together.  Thanks counsellorhog for what you have done for those of us who want to keep our season tickets. 

HognotinMemphis

April 11, 2006, 08:05:32 am #52 Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 08:08:14 am by HoginMemphis
Quote from: counsellorhog on April 10, 2006, 04:11:30 pm
I have finally made the decision to not renew my season tickets for football.  I got a bill for over $900 for two tickets to all the Fayetteville games, and that did it.  I used to justify spending money on tickets because it was good entertainment.  But, when I think about the last couple of years, all I did was plunk down $$$, go to games, get irate, and ruin several days of my life.  I wish I had the time back and the money in my pocket.  I could have bought a couple of nice relaxing vacations for what I spent on the Razorbacks in the last few years.  I thought I would feel bad about doing this, but I kind of feel liberated.

Every year the athletic administration is good at getting enough interest built back up by season ticket renewal time to get those of us on the fence to go ahead and renew, lest we miss out on the "national championship under construction." (Last year Herring hired; this year Malzahn hired & the Springdale kids recruited.)  I just can't keep falling for this.  The Hogs won't win a national championship next year, and though they certainly have an opportunity to be much more competitive in the next three or four years, I doubt they will win one in my lifetime.  I guess I'm taking a risk, but I look at it this way...if the Hogs get good enough, I'll have no trouble finding their games on television.  I won't have to walk a mile and a half uphill to get from the parking lot to my seat, drop $2 or $3 for one cup of Coke or $2 or $3 for one half-warm hot dog, and I won't have to watch draw plays on 3rd and 20, missed close field goals, misused timeouts, or the male flag line personnel.  Now if we lose, I won't be out a thing.  If we win, I'll gladly watch games on TV from the comfort of my own home.  I can buy two or three 2-liter cokes for what the stadium charges for one cup, and I can grill my own hot dogs, which I guarantee will taste a heck of a lot better than the ones at the concession stand.  Plus, no parking nightmares.

You can only sell me something without results for so long before I realize that its all sales pitch and no substance.  Sorry, but I'm out.

Your decision is not right or wrong, it's just your decision. Thus, it's not for others to criticize or applaud. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

I had 4 season tickets in both LR and Fay from '97 through the '02 season. That's 6 seasons in which I spent a lot of money going to football games - the drive from Memphis, hotel room for 2 or 3 nights, meals, etc. Not to mention the $1000 I gave to the RF every year.  I grew tired of seeing the Hogs lose 2 out of every 3 times I went to Fayetteville - I'd skip the non-conf games and attend only SEC games - the Hogs lost more of those than they won at Fayetteville.

After the '02 season, I concluded that it wasn't worth it anymore. I would drive back to Memphis mad every Sunday and that's no way to end what should have been an enjoyable weekend.  So, my solution was to stop going and stop buying tickets. It was easy for me, but it's obviously not so easy for others to do the same thing.

Besides, it's easy to get tickets to any game you want to attend either in Fay or in LR. I've been to only 2 games in the 3 seasons since I cancelled my season tickets - the Auburn game at RRS in '03 and the LSU game in WMS in '04 - and got great seats for both games (and the Hogs were #7 in the country before that Auburn game). Didn't go to a game at all this past season. I think I made a very timely and smart decision given that in the 3 years since I cancelled my tickets, the Hogs' SEC records have been 4-4, 3-5 and 2-6. And tickets will continue to be easy to come by if the Hogs continue to be mediocre, especially given the capacity of RRS.

Btw, if you think food and drink are expensive at RRS, try feeding your pie hole at a Grizzlies game here at FedEx Forum. You'll pay $4 for a bottle of water, $6 for a small beer, $8 for a large beer, hot dogs are $6 and every sandwich is at least $10. It will make RRS prices look good.

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Baghdadhawg

I have finally made the decision to not renew my season tickets for football.  I got a bill for over $900 for two tickets to all the Fayetteville games, and that did it.  I used to justify spending money on tickets because it was good entertainment.  But, when I think about the last couple of years, all I did was plunk down $$$, go to games, get irate, and ruin several days of my life.  I wish I had the time back and the money in my pocket.  I could have bought a couple of nice relaxing vacations for what I spent on the Razorbacks in the last few years.  I thought I would feel bad about doing this, but I kind of feel liberated.

Every year the athletic administration is good at getting enough interest built back up by season ticket renewal time to get those of us on the fence to go ahead and renew, lest we miss out on the "national championship under construction." (Last year Herring hired; this year Malzahn hired & the Springdale kids recruited.)  I just can't keep falling for this.  The Hogs won't win a national championship next year, and though they certainly have an opportunity to be much more competitive in the next three or four years, I doubt they will win one in my lifetime.  I guess I'm taking a risk, but I look at it this way...if the Hogs get good enough, I'll have no trouble finding their games on television.  I won't have to walk a mile and a half uphill to get from the parking lot to my seat, drop $2 or $3 for one cup of Coke or $2 or $3 for one half-warm hot dog, and I won't have to watch draw plays on 3rd and 20, missed close field goals, misused timeouts, or the male flag line personnel.  Now if we lose, I won't be out a thing.  If we win, I'll gladly watch games on TV from the comfort of my own home.  I can buy two or three 2-liter cokes for what the stadium charges for one cup, and I can grill my own hot dogs, which I guarantee will taste a heck of a lot better than the ones at the concession stand.  Plus, no parking nightmares.

You can only sell me something without results for so long before I realize that its all sales pitch and no substance.  Sorry, but I'm out.

I'm surprised you were shocked at the cost of tickets.  If you've been buying them for a while you should have already known what they were going to cost you.  I'm glad you no long have to sit on the fence, that must have been very uncomfortable!

codeHog

I love to see all you cray babies. Hey, it is your right to buy or not buy. It is your right to post about it or not. And it is your right to be a Hog fan or not. Also, you can follow any other team you want since the Hogs are so bad for you.

But please keep the post coming, I love them. Nutt wha wha, Broyles wha wha, Heath wha wha.....let the tears flow :)

I bet all three of these guys get a good pay check the next 12 months no matter how POed you are :) 8)

Apathy

This has absolutely nothing to do with being a "good fan."  This is the only rational decision left.  If others cannot understand this now, they never will.  Money keeps the incompetent in their positions.  I believe most people in this state simply do not realize the situation they are in and the relationship of the U of A athletic department to the average fan.

To say we are a captive audience is the understatement of the year.  The U of A athletic department is one of the most incredible monopolies I can think of.  If this program was located in Florida and was managed, coached, and otherwise operated in the same manner, it would have fan support similar to South Florida or Central Florida, if that.  Instead, it is here, in a place that I dearly love, but let's be realistic, a place which is also near the bottom of many national statistics.  The people of this state will always to some extent measure themselves alongside the success of their Razorbacks.  For that reason, the U of A athletic department is what it is.  We have created a situation where the fans need them more than the converse.  That's bizarre.

There is no accountability because there doesn't have to be.  The dollars have not stopped, so there is no real problem for the department.  As I've said before, until we the fans make it THEIR problem, we will continue to pay for more than we get.  In fact, without any hard numbers, I would be willing to bet that the Razorback fan base has paid more per conference win in the last 3 years than any other major program in the country.  We are desperate for a winner, the department knows that, and they exploit it.  That's my definition of a monopoly.

returntoglory

im proud to say that i am gonna be a first time season ticket holder this year. i am just in college and i spent more than i should, but let me tell you i will stick by the hogs through thick and thin. hopefully we will be pretty thick this year cuz my wallet is pretty thin.

King-Tusk

We as fans all have our own feelings about what has been occuring on the hill over the last few seasons.  We have paid our money to sit in our newly renovated stadium to watch our team lose more and more games.  The program has been in a state of decline and guess what, Coach Nutt told us it would be.  Still, we pay our hard earned money and get a negative return for our investment. 

When Malzahn was hired a few months ago, we were for the most part in a state of euphoria about the greatness that was sure to come.  Mustain, Williams, and the rest of our top notch recruting class would return us to greatness and start the campaign for Arkansas' first, yes first real National Championship in football.  Now we are starting to feel the nervousness again about Nutt calling the plays, Markuson's line not being able to properly pass block, and realizing that it may take a little longer for Gus' offense to be incorporated fully with this team.

The only way that fans can show their unhappiness with the program is to stop sending money to the university.  One person won't make a difference, hell 100 people won't make a difference, but it is the only way that counsellorhog knows that someone will notice him.  It may only be a secretary who doesn't input the check they have been receiving from him, but it makes him feel better.  This doesn't make him any less of a fan though. 

Before some of you start to think that I am against this team, coach, or whatever else, let me tell you.  I will always be a Razorback fan.  I will always cheer for the Hogs no matter what.  If another 8 years go by with the same results with Nutt still HC, I'll still cheer for the Hogs to win.  I, like most of you, want the performance of our programs to be topnotch like  the facilites they play in.

My daughter is only 14 months old and is already learning the Hog call.  I am passing the tradition of being a fan of the greatest athletic program I know of down to her. I would just like it to be a winning tradition that she is handed.
"You're talkin to my man all wrong.  It's the wrong tone.  Do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Arkansas is expected to go 3-0 in the Sun Belt this season. The Hogs had only one other spot to add a Sun Belt team, but filled that nonconference spot with Division I-AA Chattanooga for War Memorial Stadium in October.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: King-Tusk on April 11, 2006, 11:37:48 am
The only way that fans can show their unhappiness with the program is to stop sending money to the university.

Or you can simply write them a letter telling them you're unhappy.  I think being a season ticket holder is like being a shareholder.  You have a right to let "management" know what you think.  Whether they'll listen or not is a completely different issue.

Mailing Address
Broyles Athletic Center
PO Box 7777
Fayetteville, AR 72702

Shipping Address
Broyles Athletic Center
Razorback Rd. & Maple St.
Fayetteville, AR 72702

By Phone
479-575-6533

By Fax
479-575-7481

By E-mail
arkansas@uark.edu

tulsahog36

You will be watching Arkansas beat USC,Tennessee and Alabama on TV, and think, "dang it, I should be there!!".   Thank you for allowing me to get better seats for next season.   You are going to be missing out on the best slate of games in Fayeteville history.   Never before have 3 national powers (USC, Tennessee and Alabama) come to the hill in the same year.  Once again, thank you for an opportunity at better seats.

tulsahog36

Another thing you will be missing is the tax deduction, as a good portion of your tickets is a donation to the U of A for the right to purchase season tickets.   You do realize that this will increase your tax burden for 2006?  Not to mention you will miss being a season ticket holder the year USC, Tennessee and Alabama all come to the hill, making this the best year to have season tickets in Razorback history (imo).   I would rather see this razorback team play those marquee teams and struggle than to pay to see them beat the crap out of a directional school. 

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: tulsahog36 on April 11, 2006, 11:51:46 am
You do realize that this will increase your tax burden for 2006?  

I always love these kind of arguments!  Hey, let's spend $2,000 so we can save $600 on taxes! 

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: tulsahog36 on April 11, 2006, 11:47:03 am
You will be watching Arkansas beat USC,Tennessee and Alabama on TV, and think, "dang it, I should be there!!".   Thank you for allowing me to get better seats for next season.   You are going to be missing out on the best slate of games in Fayeteville history.   Never before have 3 national powers (USC, Tennessee and Alabama) come to the hill in the same year.  Once again, thank you for an opportunity at better seats.

I am seeing more and more people considering not renewing their tickets.  If we keep HDN, there will be many that will start dropping off.  Just hang on Tulsa...you may end up with really good seats. 

Sad that so many good fans have been pushed to this kind of action.  If Broyles won't take action...I can't blame the fans for not wanting to pay that kind of money.
Retired Radio Host

Fire Numb Nutts!!!

Quote from: codeHog on April 11, 2006, 09:14:29 am
I love to see all you cray babies. Hey, it is your right to buy or not buy. It is your right to post about it or not. And it is your right to be a Hog fan or not. Also, you can follow any other team you want since the Hogs are so bad for you.

But please keep the post coming, I love them. Nutt wha wha, Broyles wha wha, Heath wha wha.....let the tears flow :)

I bet all three of these guys get a good pay check the next 12 months no matter how POed you are :) 8)

Cray babies? Sounds like the main course at Ugly's tailgate party.

Dale, your day of reckoning is coming. With you running the show, they won't be able to GIVE tickets away RRS.
Yeah, I told Ferret Mop, et al in 2005 that hiring Mal-a-za-wan was just smoke and mirrors from Dale to get Mustain and the others from Springdale to commit...and keep the stadium and the RF coffers full...but did they believe me? Hell no, I got banned. I told ya so.

If you contribute money to this fluster cluck, you are a sucker.

EastexHawg

I have written several letters to both Broyles and Chuck Dicus, letting them know that I am a fan of almost 40 years, a RF contributor, and a season ticket holder...and that I am extremely fed up with the leadership of Houston Nutt.

I have told them that my displeasure has led me to decide not to renew my season tickets.

I have not received an answer to any of my letters, nor so much as an acknowledgement that anyone even read them.

If this athletic department wasn't a monopoly within the state of Arkansas, and had to actually rely on a quality product and excellent  customer service to survive...it would have been bankrupt long ago.

No one on the hill cares what the customers think.  They don't even acknowledge their customers' communications or complaints.  The company motto may as well be..."Send us your money...then shut the f*** up!"

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: codeHog on April 11, 2006, 09:14:29 am

I'm not PO'd. I have been very happy actually...since I dropped my season tickets and no longer feel compelled to attend games just because I've bought season tickets and made a donation to the RF. As the original poster stated, it is a liberating feeling, a good feeling. I'll go when I want to now and not feel like I have to go...and I've  been to two games in the last 3 years. That's about right for me but may not be enough for you and the athletic department.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

You will be watching Arkansas beat USC,Tennessee and Alabama on TV, and think, "dang it, I should be there!!".   Thank you for allowing me to get better seats for next season.   You are going to be missing out on the best slate of games in Fayeteville history.   Never before have 3 national powers (USC, Tennessee and Alabama) come to the hill in the same year.  Once again, thank you for an opportunity at better seats.

I'll bet you $100 right now that the Hogs lose at least 2 of those games and will likely lose all 3.

And I'll be watching those games on TV, then click the TV off when it's over and relax on my screen porch with a cigar and a glass of port. You'll be drunk, mad, and then have to wait in traffic for hours before you can get home.

codeHog

From this thread, there won't be 30,000 at the Tenn and USC games....gee, more leg room for us tall people :)

woopigsooie76

Speaking of Tickets, When do single game tickets go on sale?

hog caller

good, i have a friend that needs the ticket we will miss you though. nah!

tulsahog36

Quote from: uglyuncle on April 11, 2006, 11:56:11 am
You will be watching Arkansas beat USC,Tennessee and Alabama on TV, and think, "dang it, I should be there!!".   Thank you for allowing me to get better seats for next season.   You are going to be missing out on the best slate of games in Fayeteville history.   Never before have 3 national powers (USC, Tennessee and Alabama) come to the hill in the same year.  Once again, thank you for an opportunity at better seats.

I am seeing more and more people considering not renewing their tickets.  If we keep HDN, there will be many that will start dropping off.  Just hang on Tulsa...you may end up with really good seats. 

Sad that so many good fans have been pushed to this kind of action.  If Broyles won't take action...I can't blame the fans for not wanting to pay that kind of money.

Broyles has nothing to worry about.   The tickets will be sold.  The athletic department will get there money.   and there will be a standing room only crowd for USC, Tennessee and Alabama. 

SiriusHog™

Quote from: Hog Gumbo on April 10, 2006, 09:56:50 pm
Quote from: wingfoothog on April 10, 2006, 05:07:35 pm
wow.. $900 for two season tickets.. i'm in sect. 113 about half-way up and i'm only paying like.. $200 or something..... nanner nanner naaaanner..  :P
[/quote

Quote from: wingfoothog on April 10, 2006, 05:07:35 pm
wow.. $900 for two season tickets.. i'm in sect. 113 about half-way up and i'm only paying like.. $200 or something..... nanner nanner naaaanner..  :P

Four tixs in 113 for six games is $848 that includes the 8buck handling fee. Its seems higher due to the fact that theres 6 games in Fayetteville.

not when a family member is a U of A employee :))

bythelake

Quote from: LB15QB on April 10, 2006, 08:39:39 pm
Your seats will be filled, quickly. Glad you are gone.
Win, Lose or Draw, I am for Arkansas.

Good post, heard that many times growing up.  Win, lose, or draw I'm for Arkansas.  +1  That's when I was about 7 years old back in 1965.  My dad grew up during the FB years.  That's when Arkansas fans were at their best.  Win, lose or draw, I'm for Arkansas.  Hopefully, winning will be as fun as back in the good old days.  Go Hogs.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: tulsahog36 on April 11, 2006, 04:58:14 pm
Quote from: uglyuncle on April 11, 2006, 11:56:11 am

Broyles has nothing to worry about.   The tickets will be sold.  The athletic department will get there money.   and there will be a standing room only crowd for USC, Tennessee and Alabama. 

Not if Nutt single handed cost us more games this year.  If ineptness continues to cost us...you and a very few others will be the only ones willing to go watch Nutt fail.
Retired Radio Host

codeHog

not me. I like Nutt but I will admit this is his last year to be going backwards.

It must really change. I know many don't want him to have this last chance but I do. I just know that the last few years are going to be accounted for if he looks the least bit inept this year. He has gotten his two years he asked for, not things will be different or else