Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Collegiate Baseball top 30 is out(Hogs move up)

Started by hogfan064, April 10, 2006, 01:24:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan064

http://www.baseballnews.com/polls/divI/currentpolldivI.htm

SEC teams 8 in top 30

#8 Alabama
#9 South Carolina
#10 MSU
#15 Arkansas
#16 Vandy
#25 Kentucky
#28 Georgia
#30 LSU

wincrimson

I call BS.

We take 2/3 from the #1 team in the nation in back-to-back weeks and are ranked 8th? WTH!

hogfan064

Quote from: wincrimson on April 10, 2006, 02:02:49 pm
I call BS.

We take 2/3 from the #1 team in the nation in back-to-back weeks and are ranked 8th? WTH!

I've questioned Bama's ranking all year.  They don't have really any bad OOC losses do they?  Every team has lost to a Missouri State type team, but Bama played a tough OOC schedule that included games against top 25 Winthrop and Nebraska

wincrimson

True. We've got the #2 strength of schedule in the nation and #2 overall RPI. Yet, in one poll we are behind a team that we just beat 2/3 times in their own stadium?

And no, we don't have any "bad" OOC losses? Sure, we've dropped a few like all teams. But none to Podunk Tech. And were 9-2 in our last 11...

Oh well, I guess it isn't that pressing of an issue. But I just fear us getting screwed when it comes to hosting a Regional.

hogfan064

It really doesn't matter what the polls rank you.  In 2004 South Carolina was the nation's top seed, but I don't believe they were in the top 5 of any poll.  I posted earlier that I believe right now Bama and USC are both top 8 seeds and possibly MSU at this point.  Unfortunately for USC they lost their Ace pitcher in the series against LSU.  Eric Hempy underwent Tommy John surgery last week .

qakhed

I think you'll be fine as long as they finish as strong as they look right now
"If it comes from qak, it's a fact!" -supacrawf

HOGLUVIN

I absolutely agree that AL is getting an old fashion hose job.

qakhed

hey, we all could use one of those every now and then
"If it comes from qak, it's a fact!" -supacrawf

CharlieHog

Alabama doesn't have any outstanding OOC wins either, and they have 10 losses, including a series loss to Winthrop, a loss to Memphis, a loss to Troy and getting swept by Nebraska (who didn't have Chamberlain, and believe me this sweep weighs heavily on the memories of the pollsters). Only Texas is ranked ahead of them with more losses, and they've beaten some very good teams OOC.

But like everybody else has stated, complaining about rankings in baseball is totally pointless, especially with more than half the conference schedule remaining. If Bama finishes atop the Western division, they will get a national seed, and that's all that matters.

pbjones81

Quote from: wincrimson on April 10, 2006, 02:15:57 pm
True. We've got the #2 strength of schedule in the nation and #2 overall RPI. Yet, in one poll we are behind a team that we just beat 2/3 times in their own stadium?

And no, we don't have any "bad" OOC losses? Sure, we've dropped a few like all teams. But none to Podunk Tech. And were 9-2 in our last 11...

Oh well, I guess it isn't that pressing of an issue. But I just fear us getting screwed when it comes to hosting a Regional.

Everything will work itself out in the end.  I wont be the least bit surprised if Bama wins the SEC.  If that happens, they couldnt possibly screw you out of a regional.

CharlieHog

Quote from: pbjones81 on April 10, 2006, 02:34:19 pm

Everything will work itself out in the end.  I wont be the least bit surprised if Bama wins the SEC.  If that happens, they couldnt possibly screw you out of a regional.

no darn.

hogfan064

Quote from: CharlieHog on April 10, 2006, 02:29:04 pm
Alabama doesn't have any outstanding OOC wins either, and they have 10 losses, including a series loss to Winthrop, a loss to Memphis, a loss to Troy and getting swept by Nebraska (who didn't have Chamberlain, and believe me this sweep weighs heavily on the memories of the pollsters). Only Texas is ranked ahead of them with more losses, and they've beaten some very good teams OOC.

But like everybody else has stated, complaining about rankings in baseball is totally pointless, especially with more than half the conference schedule remaining. If Bama finishes atop the Western division, they will get a national seed, and that's all that matters.

They beat Winthrop who is currently in the top 25 and is a regular in the NCAA regionals

CharlieHog

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 10, 2006, 02:52:57 pm

They beat Winthrop who is currently in the top 25 and is a regular in the NCAA regionals

They lost 2 of 3 to Winthrop at home.

Winthrop is a decent team. But you don't lose a series to them if you're a top 10 team. Not saying Alabama is a bad team, but it doesn't help the argument for them to be ranked any higher than they already are.

wincrimson

We'll just keep our winning ways as we head down to Redstick this weekend and then see...

pork and mindy

We keep on winning series' like these and we may just host a Super Regional, too.

wincrimson

Quote from: pork and mindy on April 10, 2006, 04:26:50 pm
We keep on winning series' like these and we may just host a Super Regional, too.

I hope so.

I think that Bama, USC, MSU, and Arkansas will all be hosting regionals and possibly Super Regionals this year...

The dominance of the SEC!!

heathshogs

Wouldn't that be something, 3 hosts from the West who aren't LSU.
Honestly, I'm hoping you lose a few more conference games so we can catch up, but if yo keep rolling like you are in conference you'll move up the rankings. I bet you move up more for beating struggling LSU than beating the previuos #1 teams. 
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

wincrimson

Yeah, the name "LSU" still carries a lot of weight. But keep in mind, they aren't that bad. They're ranked 30th in the nation...

CharlieHog

hogfan064

Quote from: wincrimson on April 10, 2006, 08:57:45 pm
Yeah, the name "LSU" still carries a lot of weight. But keep in mind, they aren't that bad. They're ranked 30th in the nation...

At this point I think LSU would get a region host also, but probably be a #2 seed doing it.  Someone like College of Charleston or Old Dominion would be the #1 seed

HogBaptist

Quote from: wincrimson on April 10, 2006, 02:02:49 pm
I call BS.

yeah, this is exactly why i don't use this poll, BASEBALL AMERICA is a better poll to use I think..they are alot of the same, but baseball america doesn't cause the teams to jump around alot but polls mean nothing.  the only thing that matters really is our SEC conference record...we have a decent record we wil host a regional. SEC speaks for itself