Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Here's a Thought.........

Started by Theolesnort, April 10, 2006, 11:30:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Theolesnort

I really like Reggie and what he brings to the table yet, it seems he thinks we have no back ups at linebacker. While I do realize that he has a obsession for speed at linebacker ( he wants to be like Miami or Auburn who are renown for it) I question going around a good sloberknocker for someone that is faster and when push comes to shove the fast guy gets there faster and is more athletic but many times is not as good a tackler and fails to lock up at times. I realize that pass protection enters into the equation and the slower guy makes you more vulnerable but sometimes you have a trade off. Sometimes I think that for some of these speed coaches that a guy like Dick Butkus would be setting on the bench for them. The reason I bring this up is that in two scrimages I have seen a guy like Matt Stoltz show me that he is a sloberknocker and a deadly tackler or so it seems but they don't seem to like his 40 speed. To me if he is the inside linebacker and the two guys on the flanks are plenty fast you can afford to have a slower sure tackler there. What do you think.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

idochog

I think I trust what Herring wants.  Besides what he is working with is what he DIDNT recruit
I love Jesus!

HoopS

I've always favored a big, strong, sure tackling mlb flanked by speed.

Theolesnort

April 10, 2006, 11:54:47 am #3 Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 11:56:46 am by Theolesnort
Yes you are right in that Herring knows what he is doing but sometimes I wonder in our search for perfection that we at times overlook odds and ends that might fit in a pinch. For instance when Auburn started assaulting us the second half last year wouldn't it have been nice to take Brown out in that case and sub in a really big bruiser that could take on the running backs and knock them backwards. What I remember from that game was the Auburn running backs after contact getting 3 or more yards almost every time. Players like Stoltz are some times put on the back burner and not brought along like they should be because of their supposed limitations. Guys like him may be just what the doctor ordered for some occasions. At least don't ignore out of hand what you have and say the backups are still in high school and just forget about Stoltz.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

jabohog

All good points Snort. Offenses like Auburn's look for mismatches, kinda like Gus will. If we had changed they would have adjusted to it, but the outcome couldn't have been much worse. With the lack of depth, you are correct that sometimes it's a tradeoff. I'm not as impressed with Herring as a lot of folks are. This USC game will tell me a lot about Herring. They probably just let a good MLB leave. I think he was out of position and he knew it. In the SEC you have to stop the run. I haven't seen practice like you, but I hear Stoltz has made a pretty good showing.

Theolesnort

I think the Auburn defense is pretty much is what Herring is striving for. If we can get there then I think the d will have arrived.