Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Candid picture of Stan Heath from this morning...

Started by batmanfan, April 10, 2006, 09:13:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

batmanfan

Like I imagined...Heath loses out on another top recruit.  Also Beverly isn't coming here...if I had to guess one guy who could screw that all up it'd be good ole Stan.

When you look at it, Stan did a real average job for the 2nd year in a row.  This year he signed two guys with Arkansas connections, while Arkansas was the biggest school Welsh was recruited by.

Stan "Fresh Legs" Heath is now know as Stan "Strikes Out" Heath when it comes to recruiting.

Lastly, nice call Grit, you nailed another one.

BAT
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

qakhed

Didn't Stan recruit Brewer? Nolan really didn't court him to much and Ronnie was looking to go elsewhere, Stan came in and turned him to Arkansas I think.
"If it comes from qak, it's a fact!" -supacrawf

qakhed

And as far as Beverly, is that a "feeling" or have you heard something?

JJHog

Stan lands a lot of the recruits he goes after. He does not lose many.
" Think Right, Do Right"

hogfan064

Brewer was heavy on Kansas wasn't he?  I'm not a Stan supporter, but I think Heath did get that guy for us. 

RealSmartGuy

JIHawg

Here's the difference in Stan and Houston.  Stan will go after all the top players all over the country.  Houston targets "diamonds in the rough" and competes with Southern Ms and similar schools for recruits.  Heath competes with the top schools.  He does lose out on many of them, as all schools do that go after the big boys.  But he's willing to go after them, and he will hit occasionally.  Would you rather he play it safe or lazy like Nutt?

3kgthog

Quote from: JJHog on April 10, 2006, 09:33:57 am
Stan lands a lot of the recruits he goes after. He does not lose many.

Not true. Stan lands lots of good/decent big men and swing men. He has struck out on nearly every single good PG or SG we have gone after. Kyle Lowry, Kemp, now Ramar Smith, probably Beverley, Mike Conley Jr., etc. The list is getting pretty long. I guess good guards just don't want to play for Stan. As Joe Namath would say, we are going to be "strugg-uh-ling" if we do indeed miss out on our last two guard recruits.

qakhed

JIHawg is right though. He goes after the big fish. Your not going to catch a Marlin throwing a roostertail in a farm pond.

Pig Pumper

Tenn. is not a top basketball program.  Say what you want about Pearl, but losing a top recruit to a top school means that kid went to UK, KU, Duke, or UNC.

qakhed

from a recruiting prospective it's about the sizzle not the steak. Kids that have egos like Smith (ALL players as good as he have them) it's not hard to sell a school like Tennessee. Who do they have? Smith will be thier saving grace. He alone will bring Volunteer basketball back to the top. Every media oulet in that rectangular state will sing thier praises and the masses will shout his name. Coaches are like the devil, they promise you anything.

Bad_Intentions

Boy, losing Smith sure hurts. But you know, while this kid would've helped us, he's really not what we're looking for ie another super athletic guard that can't shoot from the outside. He can knock down some J's, of course, but he's not - nor will he ever be - considered a "shooter". That's really what we need.

That's why I'm hoping we get Beverley, but I've heard he's probably headed to Michigan.

I dunno. This stings if nothing for the fact that we're now losing recruits to Tennessee in basketball. Sucks. Brewer needs to announce. If he's leaving, he's hurting us be keeping everyone in limbo. Would Smith have chosen Arkansas if Brewer had said he was gone? I dunno, but he might've. From what I've gathered on Ramar, is basically that he's a selfish academic gamble that's played at like 3-4 high schools in his career, but he's a great athlete. So I'm sure Bruce Pearl said hey "You'll be our starting PG next year" after they lost Watson this season. We couldn't offer him that b/c right now we have Irvin and McCurdy at the 1 and Brewer and Welsh at the 2. Damn, is that our friggin backcourt? Holy chit, we're in trouble next year, big-time trouble if Ronnie leaves.

Not a good way to wake up today.
WPS!!

pork and mindy

Qakhed, Smith isn't even Tenn's highest rated recruit. I think we just got beat. The only way this turns out positively is if we get Beverly AND we let Smith go because we KNOW Brewer is coming back (and how likely is that.) I'm so sick of this.

qakhed

your preaching to the choir p&m. I'm just saying that is more then likely what Pearl told smith, and Smith bought it.

mbgrulz

beverley said his trip to mich put them on top. well, so what, so did his trip to toledo. michigan impressed an 18 year old kid. we have the last laugh, and look what that did for tennessee and ramar smith. hogs were head and shoulders above before last weekend. PB will be as wide eyed as a kid in a candy store when he sees what a real arena looks like & what real fan support is. i mean come on, why go up to a true football school when you could come to a place where the fans just want to win.

give beverley the jesus shuttlesworth treatment, or whatever it takes. he is our ticket. he will balance us out and make us dangerous. gotta have him.

qakhed

with the flurry of activity on campass this weekend, I think Beverly will see what real fans are

Tomhog™

With Ramar committed to the Vols and Brewer likely headed to the NBA, the Hogs might become VERY appealing to PB.  I still get the feeling he will be a wolverine, but in light of the obvious PT he'd get here, he might come...

qakhed

Lanny

Quote from: batmanfan on April 10, 2006, 09:13:00 am

Like I imagined...Heath loses out on another top recruit.  Also Beverly isn't coming here...if I had to guess one guy who could screw that all up it'd be good ole Stan.

When you look at it, Stan did a real average job for the 2nd year in a row.  This year he signed two guys with Arkansas connections, while Arkansas was the biggest school Welsh was recruited by.

Stan "Fresh Legs" Heath is now know as Stan "Strikes Out" Heath when it comes to recruiting.

Lastly, nice call Grit, you nailed another one.

BAT

Not bad Bat but where is the headband in the pic?
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy