Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A very PHYSICAL spring...............

Started by Porkerpower, April 09, 2006, 11:16:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porkerpower

One day the offense wins, next day, defense dominates.  Seems to pretty well describes whats been happenning this spring in the hills.  It's very encouraging to hear that the offense has gotten off to such a good start overall with this new, more wide open style of Malzhan. 
I really believe we are about to turn the corner with our defense.  We have great speed throughout, and they will hit you too.
I just beleive Malzhan can coach, so what with an experianced offensive line, stable of backs second to none across America,  and one big time receiver, and another one on the way, heading into this fall, we appear to be one the brink of a 9 win type year. And if we can take it to SC in the first game, who knows..........

I just think that we will suceed this fall and look back to how physical this spring was and know that's where we turned the corner.

Sooie...........

Richard_white

I personally do not believe the defense was bad last year.  Except for the game against USC and Auburn we stayed pretty close to teams we lost.  For example, at Geaorgia, at LSU we had a chance to take a road win.

Porkerpower

In just a few highlights I seen, especially in the two scrimages I have seen some tight coverage, and some BIG hits.  Looks to me to be the most contact they've had in this spring session in all of Nutts 9. 
It has to help us as a team to practice at this new pace.  And Herring is just a darn good coach, evaluator/motivator.  It is becoming obvious that he is systimaticly building a fast, aggressive, defense that we can take on the road in the SEC.

We're getting close now, on the brink I predict, of big years every year, or almost anyway.
Those days of picking up next years schedule and being able to circle at least 4 games that are SURE losses are OVER.............
Thank God...
Sooie........   

zwhogfan

I agree, I think things are finally on the upswing for us in football. However, if Nutt doesn't get 7 or 8 wins, he needs to go.

3kgthog

I'm worried about our pass protection again. Wasn't Dick sacked 4 times in the most recent scrimmage? That's a bad sign considering our defense isn't exactly known for sacking the QB. I'm sure the defense is improved, but I would not put us on the level of an Alabama or LSU.

hog caller

yugo wasn't at the scfimmage at right tackle but throwing the hammer at the track meet where he came in 12th. we had sanchez the freshman out there learning thus the sacks
plus a couple of missed assignments

Swino

Sanchez is a sophmore thanks to the wizards decision to play him a couple of times.

Corkscrew Johnson

How about Nutt's comments in Friday's paper regarding Ugoh's absence?

"It's hard because the position he plays, his pass sets, he needs it.  But I promised him, and I've got to go with it.  Hopefully he will contribute [at the Texas relays].  [Arkansas track] Coach McDonnell probably doesn't need it, but we'll see what happens." 

Wow, HDN doesn't sound very reluctant, does he?  What a jerk.  Track was probably the deciding factor in Ugoh picking us over OU, and now as a fifth year senior, three year starter, Nutt is trying to guilt trip him over four days of spring practice. 

OPPHOG

Ugoh needs to be asked a question
Can you make millions throwing a piece of round concrete or Can you make millions blocking in the NFL,

I am taking Nutt's side,

The kid needs to wake up and smell the coffee, plus he sucks at track, He came in 12th at the meet.

He needs to concentrate on football!!!!!!

idochog

Nutt needs to quit promising this and that to recruits. 
I love Jesus!

12under

Quote from: idochog on April 10, 2006, 11:08:29 am
and then you'll crucify him for losing said recruits

Hums

We would not have got MJ to come here if he was not promissed a chance to play QB as well as BB.

idochog

Quote from: 12under on April 10, 2006, 11:15:39 am
Quote from: idochog on April 10, 2006, 11:08:29 am
and then you'll crucify him for losing said recruits

Actually I will crucify him for not winning which has been a trend for him lately, everything else I gripe about w/ him is just a by-product of him not winning.

BTW he gets paid good money (some of which are my donations) so a little scrutiny goes w/ the territory.
I love Jesus!

PorkSoda

Quote from: OPPHOG on April 10, 2006, 09:17:36 am
Can you make millions throwing a piece of round concrete or Can you make millions blocking in the NFL,

I am taking Nutt's side,

The kid needs to wake up and smell the coffee, plus he sucks at track, He came in 12th at the meet.

I agree he needs to concentrate on football, especially as he said he was going to before spring practice started. 

I have nothing against our playing 2 sports in college, but I think its more effective if its RB's and CB's practicing on the the sprint team.  hammer throw?  Not, unless its going to make him more effective throwing lineman to the ground.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

rricha

this was why he came to us because he was allowed do both.

reddogfan

Quote from: PowderHawg on April 10, 2006, 02:19:00 pm
Quote from: OPPHOG on April 10, 2006, 09:17:36 am

I am taking Nutt's side,

I agree he needs to concentrate on football, especially as he said he was going to before spring practice started. 

I have nothing against our playing 2 sports in college, but I think its more effective if its RB's and CB's practicing on the the sprint team.  hammer throw?  Not, unless its going to make him more effective throwing lineman to the ground.
I, for one, am glad to hear one of  our football players is doing "something" in the off-season.  Maybe if more players would participate in track or other sports, they wouldn't come in huffing and puffing in the spring, pulling every hamstring and groin muscle in their body.
Okay, I know these aren't high school guys, but seriously,are we doing anything to really keep these guys in position shape and conditioned year round.  What is going to happen in August after 3 1/2 months off ...do they go through the same thing.
I know you guys think Malzahn is "working them hard," but his demands aren't that much greater (if at all) than what he expected out of Springdale's skill players during spring.  The only difference is that most of them participated in basketball, baseball or track and showed up in shape.  And if they weren't playing another sport, they were working out practically every day...running, throwing, lifting.

OPPHOG

April 10, 2006, 04:40:29 pm #16 Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 04:42:44 pm by OPPHOG
Reddog he is not running track

He is throwing the discus

I would rather him run up and down Dickson Street for exercise, chasing ladies,

There is no shape work in the discus throw, I guess he will be in shape for times when he could get dizzy, from spinning in circles.. after he gets hit from a blitzing safety.
What tha??

He needs to be on the FOOTBALL FIELD learning to pass block!!!!!!!