Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1964 Program

Started by Arazorbackguy1, April 09, 2006, 07:27:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Arazorbackguy1

So, get this!  My dad went to a garage sale and found a 1964 and 1967 UofA program.  He is bringing it up to Fayetteville this weekend to get it signed by all the old folks that were a part of that time period in Razorback history.  Pretty cool, I think!

I just hope we can get everyone to sign it.

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Yoko Oinko

I have every program and media guide from 1959 to 1972.  My wife got Broyles to sign my 1964 guide last October as a gift.  I hope to get Hatfield, Crocket and Lindsey to sign mine.  Switzer was on the staff back then, too. 

When Frank signed mine, my wife said he had a smile on his face from ear to ear.  He said something like, "That was some team!"

She said, "Yes sir.  It sure was."
"Every time Pam Anderson and Paul McCartney go on a PETA crusade i am going to kill ten of something." - Ted Nugent

rlamb

There was 1 National Coach of the year (Broyles) on that team that year and 2 futures with Ken Hatfield at Air Force & Jimmy Johnson at Miami as players and Barry "bootleggers boy" Switzer as an assistant that 64' YEAR. That's a
whole lot of Coaching talent there on that one misunderstood "National Championship" team where all out-of staters see that Alabama is named NC in the Almanac and other sources in 64'but if those UPI & AP Idiots had left the polls
open after the Bowls, then we would have for sure been the undisputed untied
Natioanl Champ in all polls & not just the Football Writers Poll. We would not have to had explain ourselves like we unfortunately have to now all of the time about that.

But, count all of the college coaching vistories of those 4 mentioned earlier
and you have this,

1. Broyles------------149 victories & 1 National Title
2. Switzer-----------181 vistories & 3 national Titles
3. Johnson-----------78 victories & 1 national Title
4. Hatfieeld----------177 victories, I think.
                            -----
                             585 total vistories & 5 National Titles

Not to mention 3 Super Bowl Titles between Johnson & Switzer.  Not Bad.     

ThisLittlePiggie

Although he was never a student at the U of A Johnny Majors was also on that 1964 coaching staff. And he  eventually won a national championship at Pitt. So you can bump that up to 770 wins and 6 national titles just from that 1964 team.

BPPig

We did not and Frank did not win the National Championship in 1964. I was in HS in AR at the time and it did not happen. The AP an UPS were the big polls and they chose AL. THere might have been some minor poll that choose after the bowls then that gave it to us but if you do a google you will get AL. This did cause the way the national champion was chosen and conversly could have cost us a NC in 1965. It amazes me how JFB keeps this myth alive. We do have a lot of NCAA national championships. 40+ by JM and 1 by NR. This state would have exploded in 1964 but all it did was leave a bitter taste for most until the U of A came up with propagand campaign they use to this day. Yes, we were the only undefeated team after the bowls but we did NOT win any major championships except in our minds.

Baghdadhawg

Quote from: BPPig on April 10, 2006, 04:22:23 am
We did not and Frank did not win the National Championship in 1964. I was in HS in AR at the time and it did not happen. The AP an UPS were the big polls and they chose AL. THere might have been some minor poll that choose after the bowls then that gave it to us but if you do a google you will get AL. This did cause the way the national champion was chosen and conversly could have cost us a NC in 1965. It amazes me how JFB keeps this myth alive. We do have a lot of NCAA national championships. 40+ by JM and 1 by NR. This state would have exploded in 1964 but all it did was leave a bitter taste for most until the U of A came up with propagand campaign they use to this day. Yes, we were the only undefeated team after the bowls but we did NOT win any major championships except in our minds.

You sir are incorrect.  We were declared the National Champions that year, maybe not by AP or UPI, but by another source and a well respected source for that time period.  So what if you were in high school at the time.  Makes absolutely no difference to me.  Just as your comments make no difference to me.  1964 Arkansas Razorbacks - National Champions!!!!!

Baghdadhawg

Quote from: gberry1969 on April 10, 2006, 04:32:12 am

You sir are incorrect.  We were declared the National Champions that year, maybe not by AP or UPI, but by another source and a well respected source for that time period.  So what if you were in high school at the time.  Makes absolutely no difference to me.  Just as your comments make no difference to me.  1964 Arkansas Razorbacks - National Champions!!!!!

By the way, the source was the Football Writers Association of America.

hogmary

Arkansas was the only undefeated, untied team for 1964...after the bowl games.  Joe Willie Namath and Alabama were beaten in their bowl game by Texas...a team that Arkansas had already beaten during the regular season.

Pig Pumper

People that say that Arkansas wasn't the champ in 1964 are scumbag losers.

ThisLittlePiggie

We DID and Frank DID, win the National Championship in 1964. I was just out of college in MO at the time and it DID happen. The AP and UPI were the organizations that had a FINAL POLL AFTER the last game of the regular season IGNORING the bowl games. Broyles doesn't keep this FACT of HISTORY of alive. It is dipsh*ts like you that hate the UofA that tries to diminish the importance of that great year in Razorback history with your stupid, uncalled for opinion.

By the way, did you ever get out of highschool? It isn't UPS, it's UPI, dumbo.

Macgyver Hawg

Many schools have claimed a national championship just like we did for '64.  Even Alabama.
AP and "UPS/FedEx" can stick it.  We changed the way they vote today.

BPPig

Yes we changed the way they vote today. No, we didn't win any national championship of which I am aware. I know the guy who backstabbed Joe Kines, the one that does the color and does not know the rules, states somebody voted us the national champs but he says he can't remember whom. I know that I was one pissed off HS kid in AR in Jan of 1965 after we ended up undefeated and the champs had already been crowned. I admit that it was a different ball game then. It was not so big business as today and the bowl games were considered rewards for the athletes. Y'all can spew the JFB line but it was frustrating as hell and that is all.

If anyone can tell me who did vote after the bowls that year and had AR #1 I would appreciate it. I vaguely remember some obscure coaches poll that voted us #1. Any undefeated team at the end of the season who was not voted champs can make the same claims as our 1964. TT is a national champ coach by the same reasoning.

The mess of the BCS etc is the reason I love BB so much. We damn well did win the 1994 NCAA and the whole country agrees.

John Futrall

Quote from: rlamb on April 09, 2006, 09:24:21 pm
There was 1 National Coach of the year (Broyles) on that team that year and 2 futures with Ken Hatfield at Air Force & Jimmy Johnson at Miami as players and Barry "bootleggers boy" Switzer as an assistant that 64' YEAR. That's a
whole lot of Coaching talent there on that one misunderstood "National Championship" team where all out-of staters see that Alabama is named NC in the Almanac and other sources in 64'but if those UPI & AP Idiots had left the polls
open after the Bowls, then we would have for sure been the undisputed untied
Natioanl Champ in all polls & not just the Football Writers Poll. We would not have to had explain ourselves like we unfortunately have to now all of the time about that.

But, count all of the college coaching vistories of those 4 mentioned earlier
and you have this,

1. Broyles------------149 victories & 1 National Title
2. Switzer-----------181 vistories & 3 national Titles
3. Johnson-----------78 victories & 1 national Title
4. Hatfieeld----------177 victories, I think.
                            -----
                             585 total vistories & 5 National Titles

Not to mention 3 Super Bowl Titles between Johnson & Switzer.  Not Bad.    

Just add to that HDN's moral victories, and THEN you have something to write home about ;)

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: BPPig on April 10, 2006, 11:30:30 am
Yes we changed the way they vote today. No, we didn't win any national championship of which I am aware. I know the guy who backstabbed Joe Kines, the one that does the color and does not know the rules, states somebody voted us the national champs but he says he can't remember whom. I know that I was one pissed off HS kid in AR in Jan of 1965 after we ended up undefeated and the champs had already been crowned. I admit that it was a different ball game then. It was not so big business as today and the bowl games were considered rewards for the athletes. Y'all can spew the JFB line but it was frustrating as hell and that is all.

If anyone can tell me who did vote after the bowls that year and had AR #1 I would appreciate it. I vaguely remember some obscure coaches poll that voted us #1. Any undefeated team at the end of the season who was not voted champs can make the same claims as our 1964. TT is a national champ coach by the same reasoning.

The mess of the BCS etc is the reason I love BB so much. We damn well did win the 1994 NCAA and the whole country agrees.

Confirmation. This guy is a poser. Not a question in my mind.

Macgyver Hawg

Quote from: BPPig on April 10, 2006, 11:30:30 am

The USC Trojans get more credit for their national championship in 2003 than LSU even though the Tigers got the trophy.

BPPig

You can call names and all and I am not talking about credit. I am talking championships and we did not get one in 1964. I am a retired army Sgt and I fought and lost that battle too many times. In AR we are the 1964 champs. No where else. I am a born an bred Arkie and know several of the members of that team. They are think they won the NC that year; I just don't agree with them. They had the best season but champs are crowned and we were not and I was in AR in 1964 and 16. It was a traumatic event for me at the time. If y'all think the razorbacks are the only game in town now; you should have lived in this state then. In coffee shops and barber shops ( I don't know if any of these are really left) every play was scrutinized for the entire week. Orville Henry and the Gazette were perused with great gusto. Anyone that was in AR at that time and a razorback fan has to remember all the angst the NC decision caused in this state.

silverhawg

Past Division I-A Football National Champions

The NCAA does not conduct a national championship in Division I-A football and is not involved in the selection process. Since 1998, the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) has conducted a contest between it's two top-ranked teams to determine a national champion. More information on the BCS is available at their Web site.

A number of polling organizations also provide a final ranking of Division I-A football teams at the end of each season. Below is a year-by-year history of Division I-A football national champions as determined by the BCS championship game and these polling organizations. More information on national poll rankings is available in the Division I-A section of the NCAA Divison I-A/I-AA Football Records Book.

Alabama: AP, Berryman, Litkenhous, UPI
Arkansas: Billingsley, Football Research, FW, Helms, National Championship Foundation, Poling
Michigan: Dunkel
Notre Dame: DeVold, FB News, NFF, Saga

silverhawg

using the formentioned criteria:  the upi & ap were the best know sports authorties in the 50's-60's & 70's...then the polls started changing...with usa/today...the coaches poll etc...so essentially it was a split championship

BPPig

I appreciate the polls that had us #1. The FW was the one that I remembered and I have no idea of the others. I am not a believer in moral victories and the fact that we made them change the way they vote did does nothing to change the facts.

I stand corrected on the UPI.

Call me all the names you want. I was here- where were you. I wonder how many of you even know who the leading rusher on the 64 team was without doing a search.

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: silverhawg on April 10, 2006, 02:02:35 pm
using the formentioned criteria:  the upi & ap were the best know sports authorties in the 50's-60's & 70's...then the polls started changing...with usa/today...the coaches poll etc...so essentially it was a split championship

No, actually we won the ONLY poll that EVER mattered in 1964...The Football Writers' of America, Grantland Rice Trophy, emblematic of the ONLY undefeated, untied major college (Divison 1) football team, AFTER the bowls were played. And because of this absurdity on the part of the wire services, the AP and UPI polls were changed forever, thereafter.

Idiots claiming otherwise because they hate Frank Broyles can kiss off.

Macgyver Hawg

Quote from: BPPig on April 10, 2006, 02:20:05 pm
I appreciate the polls that had us #1. The FW was the one that I remembered and I have no idea of the others. I am not a believer in moral victories and the fact that we made them change the way they vote did does nothing to change the facts.

Call me all the names you want. I was here- where were you. I wonder how many of you even know who the leading rusher on the 64 team was without doing a search.

I wasn't born until 1975.

BPPig, there's a couple of Alabama's championships they claim the same way we do for 1964. It's not a big deal.  The difference between that and basketball is that we won a tournament for the championship.  There's not a tournament for football.

BPPig

I do believe it would be good for fb to have a championship game. The only obstcle I see to it is money. They claim it to protect the players but I can not think of a single case where I thought the NCAA has had the best interests of the players in mind.

The 1964 season was so special because it followed the 63 disaster. We had 3 channels of black and white TV and Cardinal baseball. We all mad as h**l about it but this really was a tiny state, population wise, then.

The problem I have with it is this. It keeps ol JFB in charge as AD and I don't think we will ever be able to get a competent coach until he dies. If any of y'all see any players from that era ask them about the coaches. WM was the man to the ones I know. With the growth of NWA and the new facilities we now seem to have the pieces in place to really compete. I , for one, do not believe we ever really will in the fall until we clean house from the top down. Just my .02 cents.

Macgyver Hawg

You can take the '64 championship away but he would still have an undefeated season.  That's an accomplishment in itself.  The current football coach was hired by committee.

BPPig

I am very proud of the season. It was an incredible turnaround. The committee thing is one of my problems with the administration. I can't imagine a big time coach wanting to go through that dog and pony show. I think JFB is a great fund raiser and there should be a position that lets him stay at U of A and do that and get some youth in that job. I say that I am an old poop.

silverhawg

bottom line...in 1964 the hogs were undefeated, & in my book that makes em the true champs...problem is: today we have a system in place, & we have the talent to get to the big game, we just don't have the administration to get us to the championship game... my 2cents....

hogman64

Quote from: BPPig on April 10, 2006, 02:20:05 pm

You act as if  you were the only one alive in 64 to remember the situation.. I was 10 in 64 and I bet I remember it as well as you or better..... All Championships that year were mythical , our claim to that mythical championship had  more merit than any other teams claim, therefore it  would be ridiculous for us not to claim a NC , especially  since we were recognized for that by some of the official mythical recognizers, so to speak..... I am not going to call you a name,  I am just going to tell you that you are dead wrong...........