Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Nutt wanting to have his cake and eat it too...

Started by Chappeee, April 09, 2006, 03:30:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Chappeee

OK, first coach Nutt says he wants thirty or forty thousand at the Red-White game next Saturday.  Then he makes a deal with ESPN to have the game displayed on ESPN-U.   Whats up with that?  He wants 30 or 40 thou at the game then 30 or 40 mil watching it on TV.  This isn't the Superbowl is it?

TulsaHogFan

No you have it backwards.

First Nutt gets it on ESPNU.

Now he wants a damn good turnout.  He wants it to look good for recruiting.  Wants a strong showing to show we have a dedicated fan base.

Would have been easier if he would have won 8 last year.  Then it would be no problem getting 30k.  Instead he has to beg.

Jerry Swinefeld

I don't see it as begging, and I'm no hugger. 
We've got good exposure coming up on ESPNU, and need a good turnout.  Simple as that.  If I wasn't 600 miles away, you can bet I'd be there.  I'd like a chance to see the new offense (what they will show of it), and would hope 30-40K others would too.

Macgyver Hawg

Is it going to be an actual spring game this year?  I've heard it was only going to the usual spring scrimmage.

ballhog™

I guess he should just want 3 or 4 hundred there.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

mikeirwin

Quote from: Macgyver Hawg on April 09, 2006, 04:10:01 pm
Is it going to be an actual spring game this year?  I've heard it was only going to the usual spring scrimmage.
Quote from: Macgyver Hawg on April 09, 2006, 04:10:01 pm
It will be a scrimmage which I favor. You don't learn jack about a team by splitting the talent in half and playing a game. Each team will have some starters on the field who may not play at all in the upcoming season.
I like what Oklahoma did this year. They came up with a formula which allowed the defense to put points on the scoreboard. It was an actual contest. So instead of Red and White you have Offense vs Defense. If Red vs White is important to the fans you simply make the offense Red and the defense White which is the way they dress in practice each day.

Macgyver Hawg

mikeirwin

April 09, 2006, 04:26:33 pm #7 Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 04:28:23 pm by mikeirwin
Quote from: Chappeee on April 09, 2006, 03:30:16 pm
OK, first coach Nutt says he wants thirty or forty thousand at the Red-White game next Saturday.  Then he makes a deal with ESPN to have the game displayed on ESPN-U.   Whats up with that?  He wants 30 or 40 thou at the game then 30 or 40 mil watching it on TV.  This isn't the Superbowl is it?
The exposure on ESPNU is national publicity which would be foolish to turn down.
The crowd at the game is for your own fans.
The ideal would be for a large turnout at the game to show those outside the state that the Hogs have a good fan base.
It remains to be seen if that will happen.
My guess is they'll have about 12-15 thousand watching the game (which is a good crowd) and they'll claim 30,000 by adding all the kids and parents who show up for Razorfest.

rzrbaxfan

OU's formula was perfect.  Not only that, they had the band and the scooner there to give it a real game atmosphere.

We should have the team run out of the A, a "GO HOGS" spellout, and a few stadium announcer induced hog calls.  Not only would the fans like it (and thus BE THERE!) it would look good on TV.

thahawg

Putting the game on ESPNU should help us on out-of-state recruits.

HoopS

ESPN was claiming 40,000 at the OU game but made the mistake and panned out and unless the other side and end zone were jammed packed, they were nowhere close to 40,000 there.

HokieHawg

Man, I'm a poor college student living 1100 miles away. Plus, we don't get ESPNU here. I'll just go watch Virginia Tech's spring game instead. See who will replace Marcus Vick, crimes and all.

Porkerpower

I'm from Jonesboro, and my buddy and me are treating itlike a regular game.  Going to the baseball game too. 

Sooie......

The Pulse

Im just hoping the offense does a little better this time round' I know we can run it..but i want to see some good passes.

Richard_white

Quote from: pulsation of being on April 09, 2006, 11:27:11 pm
Im just hoping the offense does a little better this time round' I know we can run it..but i want to see some good passes.

Not until Mustain comes in.