Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The New (Gus's) Offense

Started by Jerry Swinefeld, April 09, 2006, 08:50:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Swinefeld

I continue to read where "fullback" Payton Hillis keeps on making plays in spring practice, and as someone who has never seen a Springdale/Gus-coached game, I've been wondering...

In a spread offense, there is usually no true fullback, so where are they lining up Hillis?  Or, am I wrong, and in Gus's base set, is there a fullback?  I know the offense is flexible enough to move people around, but also know that in any offense, there is usually a base set favored by a coach.

Anyone got a diagram of the base?

RebelliousHog

"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

casken

I think he is lining up in the slot very similar to where Matt lines up with the JAgs.  He also is playing some running back.
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

reddogfan

Quote from: Jerry Swinefeld on April 09, 2006, 08:50:19 am
I continue to read where "fullback" Payton Hillis keeps on making plays in spring practice, and as someone who has never seen a Springdale/Gus-coached game, I've been wondering...

In a spread offense, there is usually no true fullback, so where are they lining up Hillis?  Or, am I wrong, and in Gus's base set, is there a fullback?  I know the offense is flexible enough to move people around, but also know that in any offense, there is usually a base set favored by a coach.

Anyone got a diagram of the base?
Yes, Springdale used a "fullback."  Victor Pongonis.  He normally lined up in front of Mitch, to the right.  He was normally used for blocking, but did run and catch some.  He had a reception for a TD in the championship game. If you watch highlights of Damian, you can sometimes see Victor laying some seriuos hits on defenders.  He blocking crucial to our success and didn't get near enough recognition.

HBTHogs

I think he'll be considered more an H-back than a fullback.  This offense is not really a "spread," offense either.  You will see a lot of 2 back, 2 receiver, tightend sets.  Of course, once the defense sets you may see that same formation turn into a five receiver, no back set.  They will take what the defense gives them, but most plays won't start as a four wide, one back set like many expect.

RealSmartGuy

X                   LT LG C RG RT           TE   
                                                                           Z
                                              Hillis
                                         QB

TB

or

X        TB        LT LG C RG RT             TE
                                                        HILLIS          Z

QB

OR   X                      LT LG C RG RT          TE
                TB                                                        Z

QB  HILLIS

Gus will move him around, Peyton will be used in play action passes alot, off power runs, he will me matched up with linebackers selling out on mcfadden, he will block on sweeps and screens, he will be the x-factor, look for him to make all SEC, Especially with our lack of receivers.  Its alarming that in 2 scrimmages logan has but two catches, washington but two catches, HELLO DAMIEN, HELLO MITCH

idochog

Look for lots of wheel routes, which will isolate Hillis on a LB down the middle of the field.

It will force the safties to either help there and if they do it will leave wideouts w/ one on one coverage.

Hillis will operate much like Jay Novachek for the Dallas Cowboys use to.  He will become a receiver we can pick up 1st downs w/ on 3rd and 8 or so and he will run those seam routes up the middle with chances for big gainers against out of position LB's.
I love Jesus!

RealSmartGuy

explain to me how a "wheel route" is using the middle of the field?

idochog

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on April 09, 2006, 10:37:51 am

Typically a wheel route is by a back or Hback and they circle around in the backfield to appear like they are blocking and then they shoot straight up the middle of the field.  Easy to be missed by a LB
I love Jesus!

RealSmartGuy

ummm who told you this, a wheel route is run by a slot receiver who runs a speed out and then turns up , it puts the corner and safety in a bind in cover 2, the # 1 receiver stretches the safety, the corner comes off on teh out which is then turned up by # 2 receiver.

idochog

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on April 09, 2006, 10:43:57 am
ummm who told you this, a wheel route is run by a slot receiver who runs a speed out and then turns up , it puts the corner and safety in a bind in cover 2, the # 1 receiver stretches the safety, the corner comes off on teh out which is then turned up by # 2 receiver.

Whatever.
I love Jesus!

RealSmartGuy

Seriously I am asking where you got this?  I was curious if you knew terminlogy I didn't?  That is what I am asking

PigPusher

What? Is this coaching 1001?  Glad I'm just a good ole fan. 

A quarterback is called that because they are one quarter of the way back. A fullback is all the way back.  :)
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

idochog

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on April 09, 2006, 10:52:23 am
Seriously I am asking where you got this?  I was curious if you knew terminlogy I didn't?  That is what I am asking

I got it from where I played, I am friends of several coaches.  A wheel route typically is called for a Hback or Fullback and can be streaked up the middle or down the sidelines.  I agree those type of routes are ran by slot guys and are sometimes referred to as different route names.

I love Jesus!

ballhog™

Quote from: idochog on April 09, 2006, 10:40:13 am
Quote from: RealSmartGuy on April 09, 2006, 10:37:51 am

Typically a wheel route is by a back or Hback and they circle around in the backfield to appear like they are blocking and then they shoot straight up the middle of the field.  Easy to be missed by a LB

Sorry, but this definitely is not a wheel route.  smart guy was pretty accurate.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

excoach

Both of you guys are right. It depends on who your wanting to use as your wheel, and where you want your point of attack.

HOGLUVIN

I personally wish HDN would say some more stupid darn so you guys could have something else to bich about. I have seen more tiffs, arguments, insults over nothing... use a ... or commas, any punctuation error, and there must be 7,000 spelling/grammar teachers on this board. People are the mood to bich.

Look at some of the posts. Some have been deleted, but everyone is testy.

Jerry Swinefeld

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on April 09, 2006, 10:30:45 am

X                   LT LG C RG RT           TE  
                                                                           Z
                                              Hillis
                                         QB

TB

or

X        TB        LT LG C RG RT             TE
                                                        HILLIS          Z

QB

OR   X                      LT LG C RG RT          TE
                TB                                                        Z

QB  HILLIS

Gus will move him around, Peyton will be used in play action passes alot, off power runs, he will me matched up with linebackers selling out on mcfadden, he will block on sweeps and screens, he will be the x-factor, look for him to make all SEC, Especially with our lack of receivers.  Its alarming that in 2 scrimmages logan has but two catches, washington but two catches, HELLO DAMIEN, HELLO MITCH

Thanks, RealSmartGuy...
This was exactly what I was looking for.  Applause for you.
(How's that for a non-testy post?  Not everyone is in a bad mood!)

HogBlogger

RealSmart gave you a good idea.  Believe it or not you could add a couple more (at least) to that.  Also, Hillis is coming from different positions in motion.  While Hillis is probably doing the most, I've seen similar out of Felix Jones, Michael Smith and McFadden.

Expect to see Monk, Felix, McFadden and Hillis on the field at the same time (with Michael Smith also joining into this club at times), with the later three liable to be either in the backfield or at various receiver positions.  Add in another "speed" guy at receiver and you have a pretty potent range of possibilities.  You are also going to see a lot of one back, two tight end sets with more happening that we've come to expect of the Razorback offense of the past.

Imagine it and we've probably seen it at this point.  Think Colts offense of today plus some older Sid Gilman and Air Coryell stuff (the real West Coast Offense...http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/dr_z/news/1999/10/28/inside_football/) with a mixture of under center and spread serving as the sets.  At the base of the offense is using speed and creating mis-matches or attacking coverages by causing the defenders to have make choices that leave something open.  Of course the quarterback has to make the read and actually get to ball to someone that then actually catches it........