Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stadium Announcer

Started by Jerry Swinefeld, April 07, 2006, 06:59:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Swinefeld

Although I realize this question is several years late, what was the story with Craig O'Neal being replaced as our stadium announcer.  IMO, he was MUCH better than the guy we have now...added a little humor and excitement to the game, and the "first down" cheer came from him doing the job.

Also, what is the reason that we stopped the fireworks/explosions after each score?  It seemed like for a few years, the athletic dept. tried to add some excitement to the games, then all of a sudden, just stopped.  The explosions usually scared the crap out of about half of the crowd, and to me, were fun.  Are we just catering to the old folks and wine and cheese crowd?

dana caldwell

think frank wanted a more dignified approach.

don't know about the fireworks, but they've offset that noise by playing H Nutt show re-runs so friggin' loud you can't hear yourself think. at least that was the case season before last.

Hoggy Potter

April 07, 2006, 07:30:25 am #2 Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 09:16:28 am by Hoggy Potter
I'm wanting to say that the fireworks being gone had something to do with 9/11 but I could be WAY off base there.  I know Jennings O paid for them.

Just Play to Win Baby!!!

rzrbaxfan

I think you are right Hoggy.  There were also a few times before that when the fireworks were cancelled due to dry conditions, but I think they were dropped permenantly after 9/11.

CharlieHog

I think the fireworks were dropped when we enclosed the SEZ.

Sect103

I think Jennings O quit buying them when we dropped a little rock game.
Proud member of the Baum Squad!

Arkiejared

I remember after the 99 Tennessee game Craig saying something to the effect of, "The administration would like to thank you for your part in helping make changes to the new RRS."  It was in response to the goalposts being torn down.  Funny stuff.  I miss him being there.

Hoggy Potter

The following game in LR after the Tenn. game he said "anyone seen a goal post?"  Classic!!
Just Play to Win Baby!!!

heathshogs

The rumors that came out at the time of O'Neal's dismissal was it had to do with LR TV alignments. Channel 7 didn't want Craig (I'm not sure what channel he's on down there) to have any claim to "voice of the Razorbacks".
The current announcer I believe is Johnny George who's done basketball for as long as I can remember. Craig was much more entertaining beyond things posted above I also enjoyed commemts like "It's 3rd and 7 and five-eigths to go". but as some one posted above entertainment may not be the primary function of the stadium announcer.

A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

Jerry Swinefeld

Quote from: Hoggy Potter on April 07, 2006, 07:30:25 am
I'm wanting to say that the fireworks being gone had something to do with 9/11 but I could be WAY off base there.  I know Jennings O paid for them.

I figured as much, but other schools still do it.

Jerry Swinefeld

Quote from: heathshogs on April 07, 2006, 10:17:23 am
The rumors that came out at the time of O'Neal's dismissal was it had to do with LR TV alignments. Channel 7 didn't want Craig (I'm not sure what channel he's on down there) to have any claim to "voice of the Razorbacks".
The current announcer I believe is Johnny George who's done basketball for as long as I can remember. Craig was much more entertaining beyond things posted above I also enjoyed commemts like "It's 3rd and 7 and five-eigths to go". but as some one posted above entertainment may not be the primary function of the stadium announcer.

May not be the primary function, but when the guy doing it is great at it, let him do it.
IMO he was the best and should still be there. 

I guess the combination of our team and our announcer was too much comedy  (actually, a perfect balance between comedy and tragedy).

mikeirwin

April 08, 2006, 09:41:29 am #11 Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 09:43:08 am by mikeirwin
One of the biggest screw ups Frank ever made. He caved to pressure from KATV. Craig created the, IT'S ANOTHER ARKANSAS RAZORBACK, FIRST DOWN phrase. He got the crowd into the games to the point where it was intimidating to opponents. Opposing players actually admitted that they could hear it and it affected them.
Frank is part genius and part clueless.
That decision was clueless, completely low rent and also cheesy on KATV's part.
What do they want, to own the Razorback universe ? Why would you let these petty little TV ratings squabbles be more important than what's best for the football program ?

Jerry Swinefeld

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 08, 2006, 09:41:29 am

Why would you let these petty little TV ratings squabbles be more important than what's best for the football program ?

Dollars, I guess.
And even though they have the lion's share, evidently that is not enough.

Jerry Swinefeld

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 08, 2006, 09:41:29 am
One of the biggest screw ups Frank ever made. He caved to pressure from KATV.

Mike,
I'm sure you are right about this, but it seems to me that Frank is the one holding the cards, not KATV (or it should be that way).  Frank controls what every TV station in the state wants a piece of...the UA should be the ones doing the pressuring, not the other way around.

Red40

Quote from: Jerry Swinefeld on April 07, 2006, 06:59:14 am
Although I realize this question is several years late, what was the story with Craig O'Neal being replaced as our stadium announcer.  IMO, he was MUCH better than the guy we have now...added a little humor and excitement to the game, and the "first down" cheer came from him doing the job.

Also, what is the reason that we stopped the fireworks/explosions after each score?  It seemed like for a few years, the athletic dept. tried to add some excitement to the games, then all of a sudden, just stopped.  The explosions usually scared the crap out of about half of the crowd, and to me, were fun.  Are we just catering to the old folks and wine and cheese crowd?

You can thank Paul Eells for that one. 

Vanilla Sty

A stadium announcer's job is to relay pertinent information to the audience.  It's neither his job nor his right to direct attention to himself.  The focus of the event is the team on the field, not the man in the booth.  I applaud Broyles' decision, no matter the motivation.

There are far too many venues where the announcer feels it's his show...to be a cheerleader, motivator or clown...it's not.  Leave that crap for a circus or a rodeo.  It started in the NBA and had infected other sports...thankfully the NFL, NHL and MLB have put a lid on this distraction and returned to standards of professionalism. 

The worst are the idiots that don't know the difference between a PA announcer and a play-by play announcer...and try to do play-by-play.  Go to the traditional places like Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park or Texas Stadium...professionals doing it the way it's supposed to be done, not drawing attention to themselves.

Macgyver Hawg

Larry Shank would rock as the announcer for football.
Johnny George isn't as popular for football as Craig O'Neil was but he does a great job at basketball games.  TIIIMMEE OUT!  I love it.

CiriusPorker

Quote from: CharlieHog on April 07, 2006, 08:38:35 am
I think the fireworks were dropped when we enclosed the SEZ.

I think this is the case more than the 9/11 claim.  With the SEZ, it would be very difficult to see for some of the people, and even more difficult to hear...

Hollywood_HOGan

Craig O'neal was awsome!

NOt only like him as stadium announcer but he would be the host of the "Alltel trough" pregame activities.

Very funny and entertaining. Would really get the crowd going. Loved his "brotha Rufus J. Hogg" gig. Gimme a HOGULOOYAH!!

Now at the Alltel trough they have some radio personality d.ouche who tries to be funny and screams into his mic during hogcalls.

3kgthog

Would that d.ouche be Jon Williams of The Jon and Jen Show fame?

That George guy sucks at football and basketball games. His voice just does not sound like announcer material to me. And I don't know how many more times I can listen to him stumble through announcements at basketball games. He's even mispronounced our own players names.

Larry Shank is what an announcer should sound like. He gets into the game, occassionally says things that draw a chuckle, and has that catchphrase "This...is....baseball!" that regulars to baseball games have come to love. Here's hoping his health improves and he's back this weekend.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 09, 2006, 10:26:11 pm
Would that d.ouche be Jon Williams of The Jon and Jen Show fame?

That George guy sucks at football and basketball games. His voice just does not sound like announcer material to me. And I don't know how many more times I can listen to him stumble through announcements at basketball games. He's even mispronounced our own players names.

Larry Shank is what an announcer should sound like. He gets into the game, occassionally says things that draw a chuckle, and has that catchphrase "This...is....baseball!" that regulars to baseball games have come to love. Here's hoping his health improves and he's back this weekend.

Yeah i believe it is John Williams. He just tries too hard to be funny. Has no connection whatsoever to the Hogfans at the trough.

George is okay. He's been really good at the basketball games. Used to love his "and the your coach is NOOOOLLLLANNNN RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRICHARDSON!!!!!!!!"

And Larry Shank, isnt he the guy who does the GO HOGS spellout at the football games? I bet he would be a really good football stadium announcer.

RBLtoHOG

Quote from: Vanilla Sty on April 09, 2006, 09:53:40 pm
A stadium announcer's job is to relay pertinent information to the audience.  It's neither his job nor his right to direct attention to himself.  The focus of the event is the team on the field, not the man in the booth.  I applaud Broyles' decision, no matter the motivation.

There are far too many venues where the announcer feels it's his show...to be a cheerleader, motivator or clown...it's not.  Leave that crap for a circus or a rodeo.  It started in the NBA and had infected other sports...thankfully the NFL, NHL and MLB have put a lid on this distraction and returned to standards of professionalism. 

The worst are the idiots that don't know the difference between a PA announcer and a play-by play announcer...and try to do play-by-play.  Go to the traditional places like Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park or Texas Stadium...professionals doing it the way it's supposed to be done, not drawing attention to themselves.

smite!
In any fight, life or football, its the guy who is willing to die who will win that inch. If I'm gonna have any life anymore its because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch....because, that's what living is!

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: 3kgthogI can listen to him stumble through announcements at basketball games. He's even mispronounced our own players names.

I know.

He used to say Nolan rrrrrrRRRRRichardson, when it's quite obvious that Nolan's last name is simply Richardson.

Some of you aren't afraid to nit-pick anything these days, are you?
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

zwhogfan

Craig was great, I wish he still did the games, made it much more interesting.