Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Marcus Monk

Started by OkieHog, April 03, 2006, 08:23:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OkieHog

I see alot of talk on this board about the QB position and DMac and Jones get their share of the spotlight too.Even Hillis. What about Marcus Monk? Or any other WR? Has Monk made many memorable catches? I have only got to see him last year on the televised games (but I listened to every other game on AM) and am pretty sure he was very under utilized to say the least. Hes pretty much the same build as Matt Jones isnt he?
FIRE STOOPS!!!!HIRE NUTT!!!!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: OkieHog on April 03, 2006, 08:23:59 pm
and am pretty sure he was very under utilized to say the least.
YES YES YES

Thank God for Gus.  I believe he will be unstoppable.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

The Pulse

Matt was a little bit more chunky..but somehow faster...The catches that stick out to me are the one ferom last year where he took it from the CB and went to the house..and the one two years ago against georgia where Jones trough it up for grabs in the endzone while Monk was out of postion and double covered and Monk caught it off of a deflection for the score.

I have a feeling that we will be talking a little more about Monk this year though. He's got Velcro hands.

Quote from: pulsation of being on April 03, 2006, 08:43:28 pm
Matt was a little bit more chunky..but somehow faster...The catches that stick out to me are the one ferom last year where he took it from the CB and went to the house..and the one two years ago against georgia where Jones trough it up for grabs in the endzone while Monk was out of postion and double covered and Monk caught it off of a deflection for the score.

I have a feeling that we will be talking a little more about Monk this year though. He's got Velcro hands.
He had one at the beginning of the USC game, a TD.  It made me think, OMG we have a chance, they can't stop him.

Then The Nutt Gameplan kicked in.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

afhogfan1980

even though we lost big time i was rolling when monk did the lambeau leap into the usc fans i loved it
"Even Lance Armstrong Won Without a Nutt"

The Pulse

April 03, 2006, 08:56:57 pm #5 Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 08:59:41 pm by pulsation of being
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on April 03, 2006, 08:46:47 pm
He had one at the beginning of the USC game, a TD.  It made me think, OMG we have a chance, they can't stop him.

That and the fact that they only had the ball 1:37 min and had scored 27 points on 8 plays. With a game total of 197 yards to USC's 736

OkieHog

Quote from: pulsation of being on April 03, 2006, 08:56:57 pm

That and the fact that they only had the ball 1:37 min and had scored 27 points on 8 plays. With a game total of 197 yards to USC's 736

I lost 5 bucks on that game.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: OkieHog on April 03, 2006, 09:10:39 pm

I lost my dignity around the office on that game.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: OkieHog on April 03, 2006, 08:23:59 pm
I see alot of talk on this board about the QB position and DMac and Jones get their share of the spotlight too.Even Hillis. What about Marcus Monk? Or any other WR? Has Monk made many memorable catches? I have only got to see him last year on the televised games (but I listened to every other game on AM) and am pretty sure he was very under utilized to say the least. Hes pretty much the same build as Matt Jones isnt he?

I believe we will really see Monk flourish when we finally put some more capable wideouts out there. Damian Williams will really add to our offense this next year.

And Washington might finally do something this year when he has to run more than a five yard out pattern.

This could be fun.

Ugly Uncle

I went to one of the practices and was amazed (again) at how great his hands are.

I posted before that he just looks slow...but somehow was getting down field as fast as the other guys.  I know he is not a burner...but he isn't slow either.
Retired Radio Host

OkieHog

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on April 03, 2006, 09:14:06 pm
Quote from: OkieHog on April 03, 2006, 09:10:39 pm

I lost my dignity around the office on that game.

I dont know which was worse, Vanderbilt or USC?

zwhogfan

Okie, Monk has made tons of great catches, especially his freshman year. Matt Jones' passing stats wouldn't have been half as good without Monk making what seemed like at least 2 or 3 circus catches per game.

Randall baumgartne

Monk will have a great year,but I want to know if anyone knows about baby T.O (London Crawford) he looks like a hoss

PHill94

April 03, 2006, 10:59:48 pm #13 Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 11:02:12 pm by PHill94
It sucks when you have a QB that can't get the ball within 20 feet of him.  He reminds me of a Randy Moss type reciever and should be going up and catching the deep ball. He also is awesome on the fade with his mismatches vs most corners. It doesn't help when we didn't get a pass over 20 yds half way through the season.

CheerioHog

i lost a pizza on that usc game  wtg nutt you had to go and make me leave razorback pizza hungry......

pigture perfect

I think that was one of my biggest disappointment last year, Why didn't we get this playmaker involved in the offense. Talent wise, Monk is better than Lucas was. And I loved how we used him.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

pigture perfect

Quote from: Fresh Legs on April 03, 2006, 11:38:23 pm
Quote from: pigture perfect on April 03, 2006, 11:31:49 pm
I think that was one of my biggest disappointment last year, Why didn't we get this playmaker involved in the offense. Talent wise, Monk is better than Lucas was. And I loved how we used him.

Takes a QB who could get him the ball for starters.  When your QB's best pass is the bounce pass out in the flat, you're in trouble.
True, So sadly true.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 04, 2006, 12:45:01 am
Quote from: Fresh Legs on April 03, 2006, 11:38:23 pm
Quote from: pigture perfect on April 03, 2006, 11:31:49 pm

Takes a QB who could get him the ball for starters.  When your QB's best pass is the bounce pass out in the flat, you're in trouble.
True, So sadly true.

Just get the ball in this guy's area...he will make the catch.

RJ constantly threw it from Monk's knees on down.  So sad...so sad...HDN is not the only one that doesn't do well under pressure.
Retired Radio Host

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: uglyuncle on April 03, 2006, 09:23:11 pm
I went to one of the practices and was amazed (again) at how great his hands are.

I posted before that he just looks slow...but somehow was getting down field as fast as the other guys.  I know he is not a burner...but he isn't slow either.

How can Peyton Hillis shave a tenth of a second off his 40 since last football season, but Monk hasn't gotten faster since he got here?
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

BigBabyHog71

QuoteYeah but Johnson did hand off the ball better.

That is still Funny......+1 for you

TuckFexas

I guarantee there will be plenty of times Monk will be in man to man and the fade route will be on, and I'm going to love every minute of it.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

Chappeee

They were saying on Drive Time that Monk was really the only good receiver on the squad now.  If the others don't step up, there will be a lot of freshmen playing next season.

Chappeee

This reminds me of how Danny Ford didn't really utilize Anthony Lucas his first two years, but Houston Nutt sure did.

chillinhoggie

Quote from: dubyacee on April 04, 2006, 09:38:18 am
Quote from: uglyuncle on April 03, 2006, 09:23:11 pm

How can Peyton Hillis shave a tenth of a second off his 40 since last football season, but Monk hasn't gotten faster since he got here?
He hasn't gained and lost the weight that Hillis has.

12under

Quote from: Chappeee on April 04, 2006, 10:13:18 am
This reminds me of how Danny Ford didn't really utilize Anthony Lucas his first two years, but Houston Nutt sure did.
everyone has somehow forgotten about that

Quote from: 12under on April 04, 2006, 10:26:30 am
NO, Stoerner did that.  By audibling.
Time has shown Nutt does not deserve much credit for this.

12under

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on April 04, 2006, 11:16:54 am
i guess no other qb has ever audibled.  we are the only team that does it.  wow. 

Quote from: 12under on April 05, 2006, 10:46:06 am
i guess no other qb has ever audibled.  we are the only team that does it.  wow. 
Not 50% of the time like he did.  That is extremely rare in College.

12under

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on April 05, 2006, 05:18:56 pm

you kept stats on that, wow!  i would like for you to list each play during the year in which the play called from the sideline was changed.  i guess you were in the huddle

Quote from: 12under on April 05, 2006, 05:21:26 pm

you kept stats on that, wow!  i would like for you to list each play during the year in which the play called from the sideline was changed.  i guess you were in the huddle
It doesn't take a genius to figure out what was going on after looking at Nutt's career here as a whole.  Unlike you, under 12, I look at the big picture.  I don't care that he is a good family man, christian man.  He cannot coach this team.

thahawg

Quote from: Chappeee on April 04, 2006, 10:12:26 am
They were saying on Drive Time that Monk was really the only good receiver on the squad now.  If the others don't step up, there will be a lot of freshmen playing next season.

Rod Coleman is for real he just needs to get healthy and I don't know what happened to Cedric Logan's speed i guess Decker got to him.

12under

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on April 05, 2006, 05:23:47 pm

It doesn't take a genius to figure out what was going on after looking at Nutt's career here as a whole.  Unlike you, under 12, I look at the big picture.  I don't care that he is a good family man, christian man.  He cannot coach this team.
nice comeback to your arbitrary stats that you cant back up

Buff

rzrbaxfan

SI had a list of top 25 players to watch for in 06 (McFadden was on it).  I wondered why not Monk?  I think outside of the state no one knows about him b/c our passing game has been anemic.  I like it that way too.  People will know him when this season is over, I'm sure.

Quote from: 12under on April 05, 2006, 05:27:00 pm
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on April 05, 2006, 05:23:47 pm

nice comeback to your arbitrary stats that you cant back up
They don't keep stats for audibles. 
What YOU can't back up is The Nutt being a good HC.
You got nothing except that you have either familial, religious or personal ties.  That is the ONLY way ANYONE could think he is a good HC.

hog caller

didn't Nutts game plan take over scrimmage yesterday as Mcf had a 79 yarder then -1.-1.1-1

sounds like run right run right run right to me.
correct me if i am wrong.

Hog1751

With a good O-cordinator Monk should be awesome. Under utilized doesnt even describe what has happen to him here. Im surprised hes hung in as long as he has, he gets props from me on that.

krack1925

Top 4 reason Monk wasn't a factor last year.
#1 RJ couldn't throw the ball past the line of scrimmage....  it either went to the flats or the lineman's back
#2 He was our only real downfield threat..... can you say double team?
#3 With Nutt calling the plays you only have one other reciever..... can you say triple team?
#4 "In a pass play, only three things can happen, and two of those are bad" Sign on Nutty's wall.

Porkerpower

Hey 12under, I heard on DTS both Stoerner AND Lucas say on seperate occasions that Stoerner DID in fact change the play at the line very often.  Stoerner said humbley it was 50% of the time, and Lucas came back a month or so later on that same show and guessed it was more like 60%.

So without me having my own personal stats on the subject, I will choose to BELIEVE what both Stoerner and Lucas said on the radio.

Porkerpower

And by the way, Stoerner's insistance on changing the plays THAT often was the reason Clint got in the doghouse with Nutt at one point in Stoerners senior season, climaxed by Nutt sitting Stoerner down during one mid season strech.

dana caldwell

it's been pretty well documented that stoerner called lots of audibles ...

back to the premise: not only is monk a serious talent with excellent size, but he's a REALLY smart guy with a great attitude (amazing he's been able to hold on to that). hopefully, the spread sets and better receivers and QB will keep defenses from focusing on him as in the past when he was the only (or one of two) route runner doing the 8-yard hitches.

Quote from: Porkerpower on April 06, 2006, 09:02:01 am
Hey 12under, I heard on DTS both Stoerner AND Lucas say on seperate occasions that Stoerner DID in fact change the play at the line very often.  Stoerner said humbley it was 50% of the time, and Lucas came back a month or so later on that same show and guessed it was more like 60%.

So without me having my own personal stats on the subject, I will choose to BELIEVE what both Stoerner and Lucas said on the radio.
Booyakasha Under12

Ugly Uncle

Hmmm...under 12 suddenly silent in the face of reality.  Reality has a way of doing that. 

"Wise men speak words of wisdom often...but more often wise men remain silent..."

uglyuncle-2006

Retired Radio Host