Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dean Tolson

Started by Porked Tongue, September 06, 2016, 08:20:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porked Tongue

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/2016/09/05/arkansas-star-dean-tolson-enabled-college-lives-rewritten-life/89551800/?hootPostID=a9ce73b0ed66d5aafa5eeb9eeb505411

Following a standout athletic career at Arkansas, he left while reading at only a fifth-grade level. His worth was measured on the basketball court during his time on campus.

"The first thing I did (after that talk with his mother) was get on the phone and call Frank Broyles at the University of Arkansas and ask him for a second chance to graduate from college," he said.

Broyles, who served as Arkansas athletic director, longtime football coach, administrator and television analyst, put up the money, perhaps out of a sense of responsibility, to provide Tolson the chance to pursue an undergraduate degree.

FineAsSwine

hoglady

I've read that before, but it's a story you never get tired of hearing.
Thanks for posting.
It's a shame the University let him slide through - but very proud of Broyles for stepping up and helping him continue his education. Say what you will about Broyles, but he was always there to help athletes after they graduated.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

pork in the whiskers

Awesome... thanks for sharing! Damn, he was fun to watch in sawdust Barnhill. Too bad it was during the no dunking era. Never forget one night... he stole a ball out near mid-court on the sideline. We were all in shock watching him @ 6'11" attempt to dribble (ball was bouncing off the floor up to his head) for a breakaway. He made it down court without turning it over and we started screaming for him to dunk it. Back then, we would sit in bleachers at one end of court, so he easily heard us. He had this big grin on his face and I swear I thought he was going to jam it. He had the ball behind his head (a la SI Sid) and he wound up just dropping it through the hoop. The bench was laughing their butts off.

Dean is in my top ten greatest hog hoopsters... number one when talking rebounds! A lost art in today's game.

HawgnCorona

What great memories as a kid. It was fun watching and listening to the Razorback games on the radio during the Dean Tolson era He most was definitely the face of the basketball program then. He deserves all of the honor he gets. Great, great player. Go DT, Go Hogs!!!

Give Frank credit he got this one right...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

oldfart

Quote from: hoglady on September 06, 2016, 10:30:58 pm
I've read that before, but it's a story you never get tired of hearing.
Thanks for posting.
It's a shame the University let him slide through - but very proud of Broyles for stepping up and helping him continue his education. Say what you will about Broyles, but he was always there to help athletes after they graduated.

Frank did this for a number of former players and said little or nothing about it.

Gary Anderson graduated without being able to functionally read. I don't understand how that happens, and like to think it couldn't happen today.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Karma on September 09, 2016, 10:43:41 am
Gary Anderson graduated without being able to functionally read. I don't understand how that happens, and like to think it couldn't happen today.

Sadly, good athletes could still slip through the cracks. Or be pushed through I guess I should say.

savimbi2002

"Move Tree" often heard when Tolson played in the Barn.

HawginFL1991

Fantastic story!!! :razorback: