Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Complete 2016-17 schedule....

Started by Swinesong1, September 06, 2016, 01:53:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: Swinesong1 on September 07, 2016, 02:03:05 pm
I never said we would struggle because we're young!    I agree with you,.  12-6 or 13-5 isn't expecting too much.

I don't necessarily believe they'll struggle per say, I just don't believe they'll be quite as good as some think. I have them going:

10-3 Non conference
10-8 SEC play
--------------
20-11 Over all

If they reach those marks, I'll be pleased with the season and optimistic about next year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hawg Red

Quote from: GuvHog on September 07, 2016, 02:01:02 pm
The FACT is there are 7 players on the roster who have never played even a second of regular season Hog basketball and you can't get past that. Just admit that you are wrong and move on. There are ONLY 5 players on this team that saw significant playing time as a Hog last year and that is not a good position to be in.

What about playing for the Razorbacks is so unique that having played in the Pac-12 for two years isn't enough for it not to be an issue? That part, I definitely can't get past. Does not make any sense. Dusty Hannahs had not played a second of regular season Hog basketball and he promptly averaged 16 points per game. So, why then, is it unreasonable to consider Dustin Thomas an experienced player?

Let's move on to the JUCO players, shall we?

Arlando Cook - The lowest rated of the three. But he was rated higher than Coty Clarke was coming out of junior college. Coty Clarke averaged nearly 8 points and did average 5 rebounds per game his junior season. Cook figures to be Thomas' back up at the 4. Would it not be reasonable to expect Cook to match or maybe even exceed (but I'm just saying he'll be in the ballpark here) the numbers of a player that was considered an inferior recruit at the same stage of their basketball careers? But here's the kicker -- Coty Clarke averaged 20 minutes per game as a junior. I think Cook will play a little less than that. So take Coty Clarke's junior year role and shrink it some. That's what's going to be asked of Arlando Cook (barring injury).

Jaylen Barford - The #1 JUCO recruit by most measures. He's in the neighborhood of 6'3-6'4 and over 200 pounds. He's solidly built and very athletic. I'd say it's reasonable to compare him to Auburn's T.J. Dunans, who is about the same height (and actually much lighter at 175 lbs.) and was ranked as a top 3 JUCO recruit in 2015. He averaged 11.6 points and 3.6 assists in 29 MPG this past season. We aren't going to ask Barford to play 30 minutes a game with the guard depth we have. But, if we do, we'll call that his floor. Seems like some reasonably good production for a first-year D1 player.

Daryl Macon - A near-unanimous top 5 JUCO recruit as a 6'3 shooter. Also important to remember that Parkview High School plays a very similar style to Arkansas. Had a hard time finding a good comparison because I don't know who was recruited a shooter like Macon was. The closest I could find was Kadeem Allen at Arizona. He redshirted when he got there due to their depth, but he averaged 8.4 points, 3 rebounds and 3.6 assists per game this past season in 25 minutes per game as their 3rd guard behind Gabe York and Allonzo Trier (who was a dreaded freshman). It's debatable at this point if Macon will be our 3rd or 4th best guard (it'll be him or Beard).

C.J. Jones was great in Spain, but I think it might expecting too much to call for him to be a rotation player. There are only so many minutes to go around and the team is much deeper this year than last year. That is where you see the youth on this team, the deeper parts of the roster. But isn't that what we should want? Shouldn't we want our most experienced players to play the heaviest minutes?

GuvHog

September 07, 2016, 03:25:26 pm #52 Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 04:39:38 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: Hawg Red on September 07, 2016, 03:12:31 pm
What about playing for the Razorbacks is so unique that having played in the Pac-12 for two years isn't enough for it not to be an issue? That part, I definitely can't get past. Does not make any sense. Dusty Hannahs had not played a second of regular season Hog basketball and he promptly averaged 16 points per game. So, why then, is it unreasonable to consider Dustin Thomas an experienced player?

Let's move on to the JUCO players, shall we?

Arlando Cook - The lowest rated of the three. But he was rated higher than Coty Clarke was coming out of junior college. Coty Clarke averaged nearly 8 points and did average 5 rebounds per game his junior season. Cook figures to be Thomas' back up at the 4. Would it not be reasonable to expect Cook to match or maybe even exceed (but I'm just saying he'll be in the ballpark here) the numbers of a player that was considered an inferior recruit at the same stage of their basketball careers? But here's the kicker -- Coty Clarke averaged 20 minutes per game as a junior. I think Cook will play a little less than that. So take Coty Clarke's junior year role and shrink it some. That's what's going to be asked of Arlando Cook (barring injury).

Jaylen Barford - The #1 JUCO recruit by most measures. He's in the neighborhood of 6'3-6'4 and over 200 pounds. He's solidly built and very athletic. I'd say it's reasonable to compare him to Auburn's T.J. Dunans, who is about the same height (and actually much lighter at 175 lbs.) and was ranked as a top 3 JUCO recruit in 2015. He averaged 11.6 points and 3.6 assists in 29 MPG this past season. We aren't going to ask Barford to play 30 minutes a game with the guard depth we have. But, if we do, we'll call that his floor. Seems like some reasonably good production for a first-year D1 player.

Daryl Macon - A near-unanimous top 5 JUCO recruit as a 6'3 shooter. Also important to remember that Parkview High School plays a very similar style to Arkansas. Had a hard time finding a good comparison because I don't know who was recruited a shooter like Macon was. The closest I could find was Kadeem Allen at Arizona. He redshirted when he got there due to their depth, but he averaged 8.4 points, 3 rebounds and 3.6 assists per game this past season in 25 minutes per game as their 3rd guard behind Gabe York and Allonzo Trier (who was a dreaded freshman). It's debatable at this point if Macon will be our 3rd or 4th best guard (it'll be him or Beard).

C.J. Jones was great in Spain, but I think it might expecting too much to call for him to be a rotation player. There are only so many minutes to go around and the team is much deeper this year than last year. That is where you see the youth on this team, the deeper parts of the roster. But isn't that what we should want? Shouldn't we want our most experienced players to play the heaviest minutes?

I still stand by what I said. Only 5 players return from last year's Hog team that had significant playing time. As much as you want it to be, that cannot be ignored. Yes, the JUCOs did play well in Spain but playing against college basketball teams is a whole different deal. I'm sure the JUCO transfers were great on the JUCO level but there is a WIDE difference between JUCO ball and D1 P5 ball.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GuvHog on September 07, 2016, 03:25:26 pm
I still stand by what I said. Only 5 players return from last year's Hog team that had significant playing time. As much as you want it to be, that cannot be ignored. Yes, they did play well in Spain but playing against college basketball teams is a whole different deal. I'm sure the JUCO transfers were great on the JUCO level but there is a WIDE difference between JUCO ball and D1 P5 ball.

How many return from our opponents?  Are we inexperienced compared to the competition? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: GuvHog on September 07, 2016, 02:23:59 pm
I don't necessarily believe they'll struggle per say, I just don't believe they'll be quite as good as some think. I have them going:

10-3 Non conference
10-8 SEC play
--------------
20-11 Over all

If they reach those marks, I'll be pleased with the season and optimistic about next year.

11-2
11-7

22-9
11 seed

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: FineAsSwine on September 07, 2016, 03:35:17 pm

11-2
11-7

22-9
11 seed

Minimum barring key injury or something else disastrous?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Swinesong1

I am completely dumbfounded as to how playing somewhere else negates never having played for your current school.  Using the logic applied here, no player is inexperienced then.  I mean high schoolers played high school ball right? Oh, and let's not forget about prep school players.  They must REALLY be experienced since they played an additional year of high school ball.  How that translates into minutes played for the Hogs is beyond me.  I feel embarrassed for having to even explain this. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: Swinesong1 on September 07, 2016, 03:44:08 pm
I am completely dumbfounded as to how playing somewhere else negates never having played for your current school.  Using the logic applied here, no player is inexperienced then.  I mean high schoolers played high school ball right? Oh, and let's not forget about prep school players.  They must REALLY be experienced since they played an additional year of high school ball.  How that translates into minutes played for the Hogs is beyond me.  I feel embarrassed for having to even explain this.

I bet a lot of stuff is beyond you if you can't grasp prior D1 experience being an important factor in translating production.

How is Dustin Thomas transferring from Colorado to Arkansas in any way comparable to a high school player coming up from high school? You really typed that and hit post.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 07, 2016, 04:10:49 pm
I bet a lot of stuff is beyond you if you can't grasp prior D1 experience being an important factor in translating production.

How is Dustin Thomas transferring from Colorado to Arkansas in any way comparable to a high school player coming up from high school? You really typed that and hit post.

Experience wise it is a factor but Colorado is not the U of A. Mike's system is unique and very unlike the system Thomas played in at Colorado. That could make a difference. It's one thing to practice Mike's system but it's another to actually play it in a regular season game.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 07, 2016, 04:10:49 pm

You're hilarious Dogtown.  You disputed the HOGS being inexperienced by stating what someone did at another school.  How does that make him an experienced HOG player?  Anyways, you are the expert.  I'll discontinue this particular debate.  Don't want you having to change your name again based on your vast knowledge.

FineAsSwine

Dominicanhog

hog.goblin

10-3 Non conference
11-7 SEC play
--------------
21-10 Overall

I think they'll have some close losses and look more like a 23/24 win team.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Swinesong1 on September 07, 2016, 04:46:06 pm
You're hilarious Dogtown.  You disputed the HOGS being inexperienced by stating what someone did at another school.  How does that make him an experienced HOG player?  Anyways, you are the expert.  I'll discontinue this particular debate.  Don't want you having to change your name again based on your vast knowledge.

Does transferring schools strip away all of the high-major experience a player has acquired?

Are you even being for real?

No, he hasn't played in game action for Arkansas yet, but he has played over 1,000 at the Pac-12 level. That is, by definition, experience. You cannot take that away from him because he went to another school. You can say he might not be good at Arkansas, because any player's level of play can plausibly drop off at any point even if they don't change teams, but you cannot say he's inexperienced. He's not even inexperienced in Arkansas' system.

j-mann

i want to say 23 wins  but its seem  every year we have 4 or 5 games where we play down  to the comp 

i say 19-12 
N I T   
and a new coach   
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

TheRazorback500

11-2 NC
14-4 SEC

25-6 4th seed. I'm optimistic about this year and the program going forward.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

hogwood

Have to agree with Swines and guv on this one. This is an inexperienced team as a whole, though they are not young and have the advantage of being older as well as returning 3 seniors. Overall though I expect them to show at least some growing pains of being an inexperienced team who is trying to find their identity.

I also don't agree that Bailey, Jones (Hazen yes) are definitely going to average less than 10 minutes a game. Bailey and Jones are both in the 2nd rotation IMO, and could get 10-15. Jones may split bench minutes with Watkins at the guard spot and get less than 10. But I definitely see Bailey getting more than 10. Last year we were less deep and 9 players averaged more than 10mpg. To be fair we only had 9-10 players to put on the court though. But I think Bailey and Jones could be 2 of those 9 this year.

Kingsley
Thomas
Barford
Hannahs
Macon
Thompson
Cook
Bailey
Jones
Beard
Watkins
Hazen
Glasper

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 07, 2016, 06:23:12 pm
Does transferring schools strip away all of the high-major experience a player has acquired?

No, he hasn't played in game action for Arkansas yet, but he has played over 1,000 at the Pac-12 level. That is, by definition, experience. You cannot take that away from him because he went to another school. You can say he might not be good at Arkansas, because any player's level of play can plausibly drop off at any point even if they don't change teams, but you cannot say he's inexperienced. He's not even inexperienced in Arkansas' system.

How many regular season games has he played in as a Hog???

FineAsSwine

Quote from: GuvHog on September 08, 2016, 08:31:02 am

(waves hand excitedly) I know, I know, I know.

Jim Harris

some might say he was playing in a tougher league while at Colorado.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Hawg Red

Quote from: Jim Harris on September 08, 2016, 09:32:39 am
some might say he was playing in a tougher league while at Colorado.

I would tend to agree with those people.

Hawg Red

Quote from: GuvHog on September 08, 2016, 08:31:02 am

Are regular season games the only way to gain experience?

Are we now saying that practice does not give a player experience? Practice is the very foundation of experience in sports.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogwood on September 08, 2016, 01:19:07 am
Have to agree with Swines and guv on this one. This is an inexperienced team as a whole, though they are not young and have the advantage of being older as well as returning 3 seniors. Overall though I expect them to show at least some growing pains of being an inexperienced team who is trying to find their identity.

I also don't agree that Bailey, Jones (Hazen yes) are definitely going to average less than 10 minutes a game. Bailey and Jones are both in the 2nd rotation IMO, and could get 10-15. Jones may split bench minutes with Watkins at the guard spot and get less than 10. But I definitely see Bailey getting more than 10. Last year we were less deep and 9 players averaged more than 10mpg. To be fair we only had 9-10 players to put on the court though. But I think Bailey and Jones could be 2 of those 9 this year.

Kingsley
Thomas
Barford
Hannahs
Macon
Thompson
Cook
Bailey
Jones
Beard
Watkins
Hazen
Glasper

Well, first of all, I never said the freshmen would "definitely average less than 10 minutes per game." I said they would not likely average more than 10 minutes per game. And that is consistent with most freshmen under Anderson. JaCorey Williams and Anthlon Bell both averaged 9 minutes per game as freshmen. Qualls averaged 15 minutes. Moses Kingsley averaged 11.5 minutes per game. Beard and Portis have been the exceptions outside of that 2011 group when the roster was really thin.

Here are MPG averages for the returning players:

Moses Kingsley - 29.5
Dusty Hannahs - 27.1
Anton Beard - 20.9
Manny Watkins - 19.7
Trey Thompson - 17.3

I'd expect a small decrease in minutes played due to depth, but I'm still not see much more than 10 minutes a game available for the freshmen when you consider that Thomas, Barford, Cook, and Macon will be playing in front of them (in theory). I really don't think Mike is going to play Manny less. I really don't. I think Trey's playing time probably stays static. I'd expect a couple less minutes for Moses and Dusty (and that isn't a bad thing). Beard will be in that 20-23 minute range, I'd guess. Thomas will be playing at least 20 minutes per game based on everything that's been reported about him and who he's fit with the team. Cook is probably going to be playing somewhere around 17-20 minutes per game as well. Barford and Macon also figure to be in the 20s. I just don't see where the minutes come from for the freshmen. I'm not even sure what I'm theorizing for the upperclassmen will work.

Atlhogfan1

If this is how we define young and inexperienced, what SEC teams will be "experienced" this season?

Vandy:  Lost Baldwin and Jones but return 4 good contributors.  Not much depth.
UGa:  Lost Gaines and Mann.
Florida:  Lost DFS. Going to have to rely on transfer Canyon Barry to provide help.

If you think we are young and inexperienced, check out the rest of the SEC and who was lost from each team and who is returning plus all of the transfers.  Most of us will rely on newcomers to at the least be contributors.  And at least we have Hannahs and Kingsley. 

Miss St 7 in their 2016 recruiting class
Tenn 6 - same as Hogs
South Car 6
UK 5
LSU 5
OM 5

The conference will add 8 immediately eligible grad transfers. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 08, 2016, 10:01:38 am
Well, first of all, I never said the freshmen would "definitely average less than 10 minutes per game." I said they would not likely average more than 10 minutes per game. And that is consistent with most freshmen under Anderson. JaCorey Williams and Anthlon Bell both averaged 9 minutes per game as freshmen. Qualls averaged 15 minutes. Moses Kingsley averaged 11.5 minutes per game. Beard and Portis have been the exceptions outside of that 2011 group when the roster was really thin.

Moses Kingsley - 29.5
Dusty Hannahs - 27.1
Anton Beard - 20.9
Manny Watkins - 19.7
Trey Thompson - 17.3

I'd expect a small decrease in minutes played due to depth, but I'm still not see much more than 10 minutes a game available for the freshmen when you consider that Thomas, Barford, Cook, and Macon will be playing in front of them (in theory). I really don't think Mike is going to play Manny less. I really don't. I think Trey's playing time probably stays static. I'd expect a couple less minutes for Moses and Dusty (and that isn't a bad thing). Beard will be in that 20-23 minute range, I'd guess. Thomas will be playing at least 20 minutes per game based on everything that's been reported about him and who he's fit with the team. Cook is probably going to be playing somewhere around 17-20 minutes per game as well. Barford and Macon also figure to be in the 20s. I just don't see where the minutes come from for the freshmen. I'm not even sure what I'm theorizing for the upperclassmen will work.

That is a veteran core based on some SEC rosters. 

We should be deep by comparison to most by the time conference play starts. 

hogwood

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 08, 2016, 10:01:38 am

Moses Kingsley - 29.5
Dusty Hannahs - 27.1
Anton Beard - 20.9
Manny Watkins - 19.7
Trey Thompson - 17.3

Bailey is the bridge from a smaller guard-oriented lineup to a bigger lineup. Without Bailey as a constant we will have potentially 3 guards in the 1st and 2nd rotation. I think Bailey gets solid minutes as a 3.

Kingsley
Thomas
Barford
Hannahs
Macon

Thompson
Cook
Jones
Watkins
Beard

Take out a guard and add Bailey to either lineup and we will be much better defensively and on rebounds.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogwood on September 08, 2016, 11:27:59 am
Bailey is the bridge from a smaller guard-oriented lineup to a bigger lineup. Without Bailey as a constant we will have potentially 3 guards in the 1st and 2nd rotation. I think Bailey gets solid minutes as a 3.

Kingsley
Thomas
Barford
Hannahs
Macon

Thompson
Cook
Jones
Watkins
Beard

Take out a guard and add Bailey to either lineup and we will be much better defensively and on rebounds.

So....one freshman might play more than 10 minutes a game?

Atlhogfan1

The one area where experience comes in with an Anderson team is decision making on defense.  It is where newcomers get lost and make the mistakes.  Transfers like Thomas have been in the system long enough to somewhat know what he is to do.  But you can't make up for in game experience to where those decisions are made instinctively. 

Other than grasping Coach A's defenses, the Hogs will be as experienced or more than most teams they play, will be deeper than most teams they play and will be more talented than many especially the Hannahs-Kingsley offensive combo. 

Sure, inexperience may get them in a couple of games.  The non conf games are all so winnable, it may not matter much.  But this team shouldn't be losing too many games due to inexperience considering the opponents and their depth and experience.  Even some of our rent a wins have had good recent teams but lost the key contributors from those teams. 

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogwood

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 08, 2016, 11:33:05 am
So....one freshman might play more than 10 minutes a game?

Bailey. Possibly Jones. Hazen and Glasper no.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 08, 2016, 09:50:13 am
Are regular season games the only way to gain experience?

Are we now saying that practice does not give a player experience? Practice is the very foundation of experience in sports.

Any coach worth his salt will tell you that practice is important but it's not the same as playing in a regular season game so no, practice does not give a player in game experience.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GuvHog on September 08, 2016, 01:23:29 pm
Any coach worth his salt will tell you that practice is important but it's not the same as playing in a regular season game so no, practice does not give a player in game experience.

You are overselling the inexperience/youth angle as a handicap for this team.  If just taken from the viewpoint of looking at our roster, sure we have some inexperience especially in-Hog uniform in game inexperience.  But when you look at the teams on our schedule, we aren't just the norm but better off than many with experience especially when you consider some of our experience is Hannahs and Kingsley. 

GuvHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 08, 2016, 01:26:31 pm
You are overselling the inexperience/youth angle as a handicap for this team.  If just taken from the viewpoint of looking at our roster, sure we have some inexperience especially in-Hog uniform in game inexperience.  But when you look at the teams on our schedule, we aren't just the norm but better off than many with experience especially when you consider some of our experience is Hannahs and Kingsley. 

I just believe it will take a little time for this team to jell and for the JUCOs to get used to playing on the D1 P5 level. The Hogs have 2 exhibition games followed by 3 rent a wins so I expect the JUCO transfers to get a lot of playing time in those games. I'm not a downer, I actually think they'll do well but predicting that they'll win 25 regular season games is a bit much.

Hawg Red

Quote from: GuvHog on September 08, 2016, 01:23:29 pm

Of course it isn't the same, but it is still valuable experience. Combine his experience for over a year in practice with the Razorbacks with his two previous seasons of real game action in the Pac-12 and Dustin Thomas is not an inexperienced player. He's seen plenty of real game situations. You simply cannot call him inexperienced. I'm sorry. That doesn't fly.

Hawg Red

Houston should be the only team that tests Arkansas at home in the non-conference schedule. Road games are tough no matter the opponent, so Minnesota and Oklahoma State could very well be losses even though those programs, at this point, are very beatable and perhaps not too talented. Texas is a well-coached team that could probably come into BWA and wouldn't shock anyone if they won. Outside of those 4 games, I just don't see a situation where inexperience would be such a factor that we lose. Personally, I think we'll probably go 2-2 in those 4 games I just mentioned. I think we'll lose to Texas and either Minnesota or Oklahoma State. The thing that helps us with the OSU games is that it's on January 29th, so we should be gelled by then.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 08, 2016, 02:12:51 pm
Houston should be the only team that tests Arkansas at home in the non-conference schedule. Road games are tough no matter the opponent, so Minnesota and Oklahoma State could very well be losses even though those programs, at this point, are very beatable and perhaps not too talented. Texas is a well-coached team that could probably come into BWA and wouldn't shock anyone if they won. Outside of those 4 games, I just don't see a situation where inexperience would be such a factor that we lose. Personally, I think we'll probably go 2-2 in those 4 games I just mentioned. I think we'll lose to Texas and either Minnesota or Oklahoma State. The thing that helps us with the OSU games is that it's on January 29th, so we should be gelled by then.

Would you be shocked if we were 12-0 heading into conference play?  Houston could contend for an NCAAT spot this season.  But the game is in BWA.  Minn will be better but that is relative to what they were.  Texas in Houston will be a challenge.  I separate Ok St because of when it falls on the schedule.  Probably will have a loss or two as we won't be so much better than Houston, Texas or Minnesota.  Out of the low to mid majors, maybe North Florida puts up a fight?  Lots of these teams will be rebuilding this season. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 08, 2016, 02:24:38 pm
Would you be shocked if we were 12-0 heading into conference play?  Houston could contend for an NCAAT spot this season.  But the game is in BWA.  Minn will be better but that is relative to what they were.  Texas in Houston will be a challenge.  I separate Ok St because of when it falls on the schedule.  Probably will have a loss or two as we won't be so much better than Houston, Texas or Minnesota.  Out of the low to mid majors, maybe North Florida puts up a fight?  Lots of these teams will be rebuilding this season.

I wouldn't be shocked at 12-0 but I would be surprised.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 08, 2016, 02:32:25 pm
I wouldn't be shocked at 12-0 but I would be surprised.

Yep.  If we are 9-3 or worse, I will be as well.  Maybe shocked depending.  But I won't go there as I don't expect that to happen(barring something catastrophic).

root_hawg

Other than Texas and OSU, pretty much a pastry non-conference schedule

GuvHog

I would be shocked and excited. It would be the first time the Hogs have gone undefeated in non conference play since Mike's arrival and that would be a very good accomplishment.

hogwood

Totally feasible to go 12-0 IMO.

azhog10

I get what your saying. But I think he should have just said a lot of "new" faces vs. experience. I agree we have some guys coming in with experience. Dustin has prior D1 experience, and our JUCO's do come with some experience. That said JUCOs do take some time to come around and hopefully the Spain trip helped in that regard. I think we saw how those guys could struggle early on. Barford didn't score like we expected but did pick up his assists as the games went on. Macon struggled to adjust his defense to the refs overseas. Will that happen over here? With the officials we typically get I wouldn't be shocked to see him struggle early with foul trouble. Cooks skill set I think translates to be able to produce in some small amounts via rebounding and some scoring. He was never going to put up big numbers but his skill set shouldn't struggle that much with the minutes he will get.

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

jry04

September 11, 2016, 08:14:40 pm #93 Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 10:25:05 am by jry04
Guv just knew Dusty Hannahs was going to suck because he was inexperienced last year. I mean, he played in one of the toughest basketball conferences in the country, but he had never played in a Razorback uniform despite practicing with the Hogs for a full season.

Anyone saying Dustin Thomas won't be that great because he is "inexperienced" and "doesn't know the system" are just stupid. The kid has been on campus practicing every day in this system for almost a year and a half. If he hasn't learned our system by now, then he never will. If he isn't good, it is because of his talent, not because he needs time to adjust to lesser competition in the SEC. JUCOs may need time, but not a D1 transfer.

GuvHog

Quote from: jry04 on September 11, 2016, 08:14:40 pm
Guv just knew Dusty Hannahs was going to suck because he was inexperienced last year. I mean, he played in one of the toughest basketball conferences in the country, but he had never played in a Razorback uniform despite practicing with the Hogs for a full season.

Anyone saying Dustin Thomas won't be that great because he is "inexperienced" and "doesn't know the system" are just stupid. The kid has been on campus practicing every day in this system for almost a year and a half. If he hasn't learned our system by now, then he never will. If he isn't good, it is because of his talent, not because he needs time to adjust to lesser competition in the SEC. JUCOs may need time, but not a D1 transfer.

No, I thought Dusty would actually be pretty good since he came from the Big 12 where they are pretty good at basketball. As far as Thomas goes, Colorado isn't exactly a basketball powerhouse. Are they even competitive in the Pac 12??? Thomas may end up being a good player, all I'm saying is lets be cautious and not put unrealistic expectations on him.

hogwood

Quote from: GuvHog on September 12, 2016, 04:33:14 pm
No, I thought Dusty would actually be pretty good since he came from the Big 12 where they are pretty good at basketball. As far as Thomas goes, Colorado isn't exactly a basketball powerhouse. Are they even competitive in the Pac 12??? Thomas may end up being a good player, all I'm saying is lets be cautious and not put unrealistic expectations on him.

Thomas will be a good player. I would put the PAC12 at the same level of SEC basketball. PAC12 is top heavy. The SEC has KY and a bunch of bubble teams every year.

Hawg Red

So part of your argument is based around your own ignorance?

Colorado has made the NCAA tournament 3 out of the last 4 seasons, so they are more competitive than Arkansas. And more competitive than Texas Tech has been.

What unrealistic expectations is anyone putting on him? Starting listing them. Expecting that he will be able to compete and contribute at the high-major level (considering he already has) is not unrealistic. What is unrealistic is floating the notion that Dustin Thomas might somehow not be able to keep up in the SEC when he played two years in a conference that has been producing more NCAA tournament teams than the SEC in the last 5 or so years, including the school he transferred from.

HoopS

jry04

You cannot be serious, can you?

Dustin Thomas played in every game as a freshman at Colorado. He was 1 of 5 players to play in all 35 games that season. They went 22-13 that season and made the NCAAT as an 8 seed. They played 9 top 25 teams that season, including #1 Arizona three times, and top 10 Oklahoma State and Kansas. They actually beat Kansas, when Kansas was #6. Dustin played 16 minutes that game. As a sophomore, CU was not very good. They only played in the CBI, but did face 5 top 25 teams that season. I don't think there is any debate that the 2 seasons he played in the PAC-12 that he was playing in a more difficult conference than the SEC. I also do not think anyone would debate that playing in a tougher conference, and in a NCAAT game qualifies as experience. As for your "are they even competitive comment," they have made the NCAAT 4 of the last 5 seasons. The only year that the missed was his sophomore season, which is when they went to the CBI.

Just to be clear, I never gave any expectations for Dustin Thomas. I only argued that the few of you who think he may struggle because he is inexperienced are being foolish. That is the most unrealistic thing being said. The guy has plenty of experience. He averaged over 15 minutes per game for 2 seasons in a tougher league. It isn't unrealistic to think he can come in and be a solid contributor from day one. If he isn't very good, or hasn't developed, it is more because of his lack of talent than his lack of experience.

Swinesong1