Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs to play Southern Illinois (Non-conference schedule released)

Started by razorhead94, August 24, 2016, 02:52:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorhead94

As a part of the Golden Gopher Showcase at BWA according to wholehogsports.com

"The game is believed to be part of the Golden Gopher Showcase, an exempt tournament hosted by Minnesota.  The Razorbacks will also play Minnesota, and are expected to play Texas-Arlington and Mount Saint Mary's as part of the event, according to sources."
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

OnTheHillHogFan

Anyone know if they are the replacement for Florida Gulf Coast?
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

010HogFan

Golden Gopher Showcase....at Bud Walton? what?

razorhead94

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/aug/25/analysis-razorbacks-2016-17-nonconference-schedule/

Arkansas' 2016-17 Nonconference Schedule

Nov. 11 - Fort Wayne
Nov. 14 - Southern Illinois
Nov. 18 - Texas-Arlington
Nov. 22 - at Minnesota
Nov. 28 - Mount Saint Mary's
Dec. 1 - Stephen F. Austin
Dec. 3 - Austin Peay
Dec. 6 - Houston
Dec. 10 - North Florida
Dec. 17 - Texas (Houston)
Dec. 20 - North Dakota State
Dec. 22 - Sam Houston State (North Little Rock)
Jan. 28 - at Oklahoma State

razorhead94

I'm seeing 11-2 with that schedule and should be sitting fairly well RPI wise going into conference play

hogsanity

Quote from: razorhead94 on August 25, 2016, 10:55:48 am
I'm seeing 11-2 with that schedule and should be sitting fairly well RPI wise going into conference play

actually, to the surprise of most here, I think 12-1 is very reachable and agree the rpi should be very solid.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Adam Stokes

Schedule with their RPI from last year:

78 -  Fort Wayne
138 - Southern Illinois
105 - Texas-Arlington
257 - at Minnesota
245 - Mount Saint Mary's
61 - Stephen F. Austin
184 - Austin Peay
87 - Houston
161 - North Florida
27 - Texas (Houston)
120 - North Dakota State
178 - Sam Houston State (North Little Rock)
170 - at Oklahoma State

Wow.  Hats off to the schedulers.  We've improved year over year in our quality of scheduling.  Last year I said they did a good job scheduling, though it might've been a tad too tough as we lost a lot of games we should've won.  This schedule is looking to be a little softer which is fine.  You always have to be cautious between playing too many good teams you're likely to lose to and playing bad teams that will shoot down your SOS.  This is looking like a non-con schedule that'll be just inside the top 100, which is as good as we want it in a turn-around year.

I've said time and time again that you want to schedule teams in the 75-200 zone for non-conference, and 9 of our 13 do that.  Only two poor RPI showing against Minnesota (who you would think has to get better) and MSM.  I think if you are going to schedule a bad team, make it a P5 road game, and they did that.  Texas will probably be a loss but should be competitive (they signed a really good recruiting class) and SFA should be a win since the team will have time to gel.

I'd guess 11-2, maybe 10-3, either way we'll be set up well come conference play.  11-2 with this schedule will put us in the Top 25 for RPI when conference play rolls around.

Atlhogfan1

Minnesota will be better.  SFA will not be close to what they have been recently.  AP also has a lot to replace.  Houston may be in NCAAT contention.  RPI's for Texas and Ok St(even though picked near the bottom of the conf) may end up higher after conference play starts due to the Big 12 and playing each team in the Big 12 twice.  Texas non conf schedule not impressive but at least they play at Michigan. 

Good schedule for lots of wins and RPI.  Can't remember a less appealing home non conference schedule.  The high amount wins will have to drive the interest and excitement for the non die-hards.  Where would a second loss come?  Houston in BWA?  At Minnesota? NLR again :)?

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Rawker

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 25, 2016, 01:12:41 pm
Where would a second loss come?  Houston in BWA?  At Minnesota? NLR again :)?

I predict that the cupcakey-est of cupcakes will forever be booked in NLR from now on, starting with this year.  The UA program will be more solid for the coming years, and the NLR opponents will be increasingly paltry in comparison as the Hogs get better from this year on.  The Verizon losses are over.  I wouldn't be surprised if they simply book the Washington Generals there from now on.  It's tough as Hell to judge the basket in that place, and that can be an equalizer.  But anyway....though I think the Hogs are way better this year, I say 3 losses non-con simply because the team will sport a whole new complexion, and there will be some growing pains. (@Texas, @OKSt just because it's a tough place to play, and Minnesota will be fired up for this one and get lucky)