Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting 5 for Game 1 in Spain

Started by SONofHAM, August 09, 2016, 12:40:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jry04

We have 8 players who have never played an organized game together playing one for the first time overseas, with a new ball, poor officiating, and the best players logging fewer than 25 minutes. Macon had 10 points in 17 minutes, and Barford had 9 pts 5 assists in 21 minutes. This really isn't any different than teams like Louisville, Michigan State, or Syracuse losing to division 3 teams in their exhibitions and then going on to be top 10 teams. Not saying we won't be a top 10 team, but reading into an exhibition game overseas is silly. Had we won by 50 most of the naysayers would have said "we should have won by that much, these games mean nothing and you cannot tell if we will be good from them." Since we lost, they are able to use those as fuel to the "we will suck again" fire. I find it hard to believe anyone can tell something from a game NOBODY on here even saw. I keep seeing people throw around that the team we played lost to BYU, Nebraska, Miami, etc by double digits. The team we played had just 4 players on their current roster who played in those games.

Louisville started 0-2 last year in their August trip to Puerto Rico, and ended up being one of the best teams in the ACC but imposed a post-season ban.

Wichita State lost to a Canadian professional team the other day, and I feel pretty confident in saying Canadian professional teams are much worse than Spanish ones considering all of the best Canadian basketball players are playing college ball or professional ball elsewhere.

azhog10

Dayton lost by 6 to the team they played. Not sure if it's the same team we are playing, think they were called the "Spain All Stars" but nonetheless I think these teams are a bit better than the teams we played in our last Euro trip. Villanova beat the same team by 40....or at least the same as if you look at the box scores and the roster is completely different.

Not sure how that all works out.

azhog10

Quote from: jry04 on August 10, 2016, 09:26:42 am
We have 8 players who have never played an organized game together playing one for the first time overseas, with a new ball, poor officiating, and the best players logging fewer than 25 minutes. Macon had 10 points in 17 minutes, and Barford had 9 pts 5 assists in 21 minutes. This really isn't any different than teams like Louisville, Michigan State, or Syracuse losing to division 3 teams in their exhibitions and then going on to be top 10 teams. Not saying we won't be a top 10 team, but reading into an exhibition game overseas is silly. Had we won by 50 most of the naysayers would have said "we should have won by that much, these games mean nothing and you cannot tell if we will be good from them." Since we lost, they are able to use those as fuel to the "we will suck again" fire. I find it hard to believe anyone can tell something from a game NOBODY on here even saw.
Hey, hey, hey. Michigan State lost to a Division 2 team in Grand Valley State. I should know, I was on the bench for that game. Trust me, MSU played their main guys......but to your point I agree.

jry04

Quote from: azhog10 on August 10, 2016, 09:29:09 am
Dayton lost by 6 to the team they played. Not sure if it's the same team we are playing, think they were called the "Spain All Stars" but nonetheless I think these teams are a bit better than the teams we played in our last Euro trip. Villanova beat the same team by 40....or at least the same as if you look at the box scores and the roster is completely different.

Not sure how that all works out.
The team we played yesterday is going to play Purdue today. Will be interesting to see how they do.
Quote from: azhog10 on August 10, 2016, 09:30:30 am
Hey, hey, hey. Michigan State lost to a Division 2 team in Grand Valley State. I should know, I was on the bench for that game. Trust me, MSU played their main guys......but to your point I agree.
Fair enough, and that MSU team ended up making the Sweet 16 and being a top 25 team all season.

azhog10

Quote from: jry04 on August 10, 2016, 09:35:32 am
The team we played yesterday is going to play Purdue today. Will be interesting to see how they do. Fair enough, and that MSU team ended up making the Sweet 16 and being a top 25 team all season.
They were good indeed. I agree though, even the best teams take time to get things right and coaches themselves don't necessarily play things how they would in a game that really matters. It's about a coach learning what types of lineups will and won't work together, and also seeing what your new guys have to bring to the table.

Not sure if they did or didn't, but Purdue had a chance to see this team play us so they have a bit of an advantage as we were seeing this team for the first time. Purdue also arrived in Spain the same time we did and had one extra day to get acclimated. Just saying it's not an exact apples to apples comparison.

jry04

Quote from: azhog10 on August 10, 2016, 09:48:38 am
They were good indeed. I agree though, even the best teams take time to get things right and coaches themselves don't necessarily play things how they would in a game that really matters. It's about a coach learning what types of lineups will and won't work together, and also seeing what your new guys have to bring to the table.

Not sure if they did or didn't, but Purdue had a chance to see this team play us so they have a bit of an advantage as we were seeing this team for the first time. Purdue also arrived in Spain the same time we did and had one extra day to get acclimated. Just saying it's not an exact apples to apples comparison.
I feel confident that Macon will play more than 17 minutes when it matters, and Beard won't lead the team in minutes played with 28. We also have two proven players in the Hannahs and Moses who played like garbage.

azhog10

Quote from: jry04 on August 10, 2016, 09:54:22 am
I feel confident that Macon will play more than 17 minutes when it matters, and Beard won't lead the team in minutes played with 28. We also have two proven players in the Hannahs and Moses who played like garbage.
I think there is some truth to Moses and being a bit drained. He's had a crazy busy summer and I think after this trip will be due for a little time off. Hannah's off shooting night was probably attributed to the fouls. It's everyones first game and they are amped up, and then to have some calls (I assume questionable) that put him on the bench probably only frustrated him. Looking at the film it didn't seem like this team was small, and obviously they could shoot it really well. I agree though, I think Macon and Barford will see plenty of time when it matters. Beard is slowly becoming a role player and I hope he takes to that role.

Hawg Red

Quote from: jry04 on August 10, 2016, 09:26:42 am
We have 8 players who have never played an organized game together playing one for the first time overseas, with a new ball, poor officiating, and the best players logging fewer than 25 minutes. Macon had 10 points in 17 minutes, and Barford had 9 pts 5 assists in 21 minutes. This really isn't any different than teams like Louisville, Michigan State, or Syracuse losing to division 3 teams in their exhibitions and then going on to be top 10 teams. Not saying we won't be a top 10 team, but reading into an exhibition game overseas is silly. Had we won by 50 most of the naysayers would have said "we should have won by that much, these games mean nothing and you cannot tell if we will be good from them." Since we lost, they are able to use those as fuel to the "we will suck again" fire. I find it hard to believe anyone can tell something from a game NOBODY on here even saw. I keep seeing people throw around that the team we played lost to BYU, Nebraska, Miami, etc by double digits. The team we played had just 4 players on their current roster who played in those games.

Nailed it.

Swinesong1

Quote from: azhog10 on August 10, 2016, 10:00:24 am
Looking at the film it didn't seem like this team was small, and obviously they could shoot it really well. I agree though, I think Macon and Barford will see plenty of time when it matters. Beard is slowly becoming a role player and I hope he takes to that role.
Here's what I think is getting lost in this game:   the Hogs out shot them from the field 44 to 40 percent.  The game was lost at the free throw line where they hit (30) more than we attempted (23).  Oh...and rebounding better would help. 

jry04

Quote from: Swinesong1 on August 10, 2016, 10:15:58 am
Here's what I think is getting lost in this game:   the Hogs out shot them from the field 44 to 40 percent.  The game was lost at the free throw line where they hit (30) more than we attempted (23).  Oh...and rebounding better would help. 
We out shot them overall, but started the game something like 5/25 from the field and had as big as a 16 or 17 point deficit. We were shooting 12-13% lower from the field at half. Unfortunately, we just dug too big of a hole and had Barford and Moses foul out when we tied it with a couple of minutes left. Like you said, having 10+ more fouls and 20+ more FTs was huge. According to Dudley, if we looked at them wrong we were called for a foul, but they would shove us out from underneath the basket to get a board and there was no call. Should be expected overseas, I guess.

The Hogfather

Quote from: jry04 on August 10, 2016, 10:24:38 am
We out shot them overall, but started the game something like 5/25 from the field and had as big as a 16 or 17 point deficit. We were shooting 12-13% lower from the field at half. Unfortunately, we just dug too big of a hole and had Barford and Moses foul out when we tied it with a couple of minutes left. Like you said, having 10+ more fouls and 20+ more FTs was huge. According to Dudley, if we looked at them wrong we were called for a foul, but they would shove us out from underneath the basket to get a board and there was no call. Should be expected overseas, I guess.

I know Dudley is likely a bit homerish, but I could see the officiating being somewhat biased towards the local team.  When we look at the big picture, I'm not that worried about what happened.  I just wish I knew how good the team we played is.  It is hard to know if they are like a D2 team or a pretty good pro team.

Kevin

Stop worrying about losing on this trip.
Let the coaches experiment with what they have
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

azhog10

Quote from: Swinesong1 on August 10, 2016, 10:15:58 am
I should have said shot it better early. They were over 50% at half. But I agree, you get out shot from the FT line by more than 20 attempts and it's a tough climb for anyone......

I had a game this last year where we were better than the team we played by 20 plus. We actually beat a team by over 30 that beat them. Anyways, they shot over 40 free throws to our 20 and we lost by 2. Worst game as a coach I have ever been apart of.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Kevin on August 10, 2016, 10:58:08 am

rude1

Just an exhibition game I know but CMA continued infatuation with playing Beard despite his lack of production is baffling to me, lead team in minutes played with 28. Seems like this trip is perfect for getting the new guys as much PT as possible. Hopefully it was foul trouble that dictated Beard playing this much and not a pattern we will see going forward.

azhog10

Quote from: rude1 on August 10, 2016, 11:36:32 am
Just an exhibition game I know but CMA continued infatuation with playing Beard despite his lack of production is baffling to me, lead team in minutes played with 28. Seems like this trip is perfect for getting the new guys as much PT as possible. Hopefully it was foul trouble that dictated Beard playing this much and not a pattern we will see going forward.
Considering Barford, Hannahs, and Macon all had foul trouble at some point in the game. I think you have your answer.

HoopS

Quote from: Kevin on August 10, 2016, 10:58:08 am
this.

If you watch the stats link, you'll see we are doing different things and a lot of looks.

This is a lot like preseason for baseball players where if you're a pitcher you may well be working on a pitch and not using it when you'll normally use it or a hitter trying to go oppo on a middle in pitch because he's working on it. Etc.

Looking mostly for some individual things.

One that I'm seeing (stats only) but CJ Jones may be a scorer. Had heard he is one of our shooters but want to see it in games. These won't completely answer questions but so far so good.

Another note is Watkins led in scoring yesterday and is apparently active again today.

FineAsSwine

Jones had one heck of a stat line in just 12 minutes. From the stat line the kid was a virtual tazmanian devil out there. Can't wait to see him in person.

The Hogfather

Quote from: FineAsSwine on August 10, 2016, 01:09:16 pm
Jones had one heck of a stat line in just 12 minutes. From the stat line the kid was a virtual tazmanian devil out there. Can't wait to see him in person.

I haven't even looked at stats, but I thought he could be a huge steal back when he committed.  After seeing his video, I was impressed.  Hope he turns out to be a stud for us.

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 15, 2016, 08:24:02 am
He looks like a knockdown 3-point shooter if that's him.  Is that him at 50:25?  If so, his teammates appear to know he's a knockdown 3-point shooter as well.  One of his teammates gets the ball to him for a wide open look and then immediately puts his hand up to signal a 3 and starts jogging the other way like he knows it's going to be good.

At the risk of pissing people off by "talking every kid who signs with Arkansas up", I think we might've landed a steal here.  By all indications, he can score the ball (six 30+ point games), he's a tall guard (at least 6'4"), appears to be able to shoot the 3 (by watching the videos and didn't someone say he had something like 11 3s in a game?), has decent handles (they had him playing PG some), and appears to be able to shoot FTs well (from the video).  He still needs to add muscle/weight to his skinny frame (same as Whitt when we signed him) and appears to need to work more on the defensive end, but we shouldn't need to rely on him much next season, unless he just demands to be on the court with his impressive play. 

Jonteviosk

August 12, 2016, 07:43:13 am #119 Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 08:00:52 am by Jonteviosk
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

TheRazorbackGuy

Hala Madrid. That's what they are saying. Dustin Thomas looks fantastic. But still have my doubts about the style. Seeing some of the same problems with rebounding and defense

HoopS

Swinesong1

Quote from: HoopS on August 12, 2016, 06:10:51 pm
What are you "seeing" on D?
He's just starting his anti-Anderson campaign early.  Lol

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Swinesong1 on August 12, 2016, 06:19:21 pm

Guess he has dropped his Captain Morgan persona

HoopS

Quote from: Swinesong1 on August 12, 2016, 06:19:21 pm
I was just curious seeing as how I've been following the team closely yet can't find coverage but he's "seeing" some things. Some disturbing developments it sounds like. Surely he wouldn't just be saying that?

hogwood

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on August 12, 2016, 05:57:18 pm
Hala Madrid. That's what they are saying. Dustin Thomas looks fantastic. But still have my doubts about the style. Seeing some of the same problems with rebounding and defense

We had 60 rebounds and forced 25 turnovers. You must be drunk.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on August 12, 2016, 05:57:18 pm

Quote from: hogwood on August 12, 2016, 11:02:20 pm
We had 60 rebounds and forced 25 turnovers. You must be drunk.

Wonder what he thinks of recruiting? All of this good news and not a peep out of him.