Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"That's the right call," Smith said of the field goal attempt. "I mean, you have to score twice to w

Started by nobballconcept, November 23, 2012, 08:30:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigface

I thought it was the right call.  2 field goals wins the game with a lot of time left.  Our offense just couldnt get it done for the rest of the 4th quarter.

HogYouVeryMuch

Klcking the FG was NOT the right call!  We had to score a TD to win, period.  I'd take my chance with one shot from the 3 inch line than to have to drive the field again on the LSU defense.  We don't get it, they're inside their one and we're likely to get a short field again.

HogYouVeryMuch

Quote from: pigface on November 24, 2012, 10:44:19 am
I thought it was the right call.  2 field goals wins the game with a lot of time left.  Our offense just couldnt get it done for the rest of the 4th quarter.

How many possessions were you planning to get that late in the game?!?!

Grunt

good grief
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

HaskellHog83

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on November 24, 2012, 10:43:30 am
No. They are both the wrong moves. If you can't see that you are as smart as JLS and I just feel bad for you.

Think about, most of you can't see the logic through your anger for the man. We were down 7, we still need 2 scores to take the lead. Therefore, you take your guaranteed points there, in order to still give yourself a chance later. For the punt, our defense was playing pretty solid, so there is no reason to believe that they drive 90 yards for a TD there. They didn't, we held them to a FG, and still leave the door open for us to tie the game at the end. I understand what all of you are saying, as to us not having anything to lose, but we were in a position to actually win. So him playing the percentages, I have no problem with. About 90% of coaches in thecountry would have done the same thing.

EastexHawg

The score was 17-10 at the time.  How do two field goals win the game?

We needed a touchdown to tie or win.  Question:  Considering to that point we had scored one TD, are the odds better of scoring from the one foot line or driving the length of the field on them?

westside_player

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 25, 2012, 12:09:07 am
The score was 17-10 at the time.  How do two field goals win the game?

We needed a touchdown to tie or win.  Question:  Considering to that point we had scored one TD, are the odds better of scoring from the one foot line or driving the length of the field on them?

You may not have to drive the length of the field though. Our offense is a big play pass oriented offense, it's not a good  short yardage power offense. Our chance to score again from any random play or point on the field in the following 12 minutes was better than lining up and trying to overpower them, throw for a foot or launch the ball 4 yards behind the LOS. You saw that the 3rd down play, Tyler didn't go far. Just b/c you need one foot, against that front 7 with our so-so line, I would say it's only 50/50 at best we get in b/c they overpowered us on the play before. Even if the score is tied there, it would have taken at least a fg to win so theoretically we were going to have to take a fg at some point regardless. That was an easy point to kick a fg as opposed to trying a 40 yarder later. But with 12 minutes left down 4 we didn't necessarily have to have a touchdown to win. We had time to kick 2 more fg's.  If we go for the touchdown and don't get in, we would almost have to have a touchdown at some point to win.

Saban did something similar to us in 2007. he was down by 5 with about 4 minutes left with 4th and short and kicked a fg, b/c he knew his best chance to win was get a stop and kick another field goal.

It was actually the correct call if you play the law of averages. The tie score looks pretty in theory but with 12 minutes left it really doesn't do us any good if we want to win the game.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: cade321 on November 24, 2012, 09:44:17 am
This is what it comes down to.  You need two scores.  You have less than a yard to score a TD on that possession.  You have already gained all but 1 yard needed to get your first 7 points on that drive.  You score the TD here, and your defense holds up, you just need a field goal.  You don't need to get to the 1 yard line again to kick the winning field goal.  He basically traded a reasonable shot at winning for a required Miracle.  What an idiot.

When he didn't go for that touchdown, I almost blew a gasket.  Your point is exactly right.  YES...we did need two scores to win the game, but we were inside the 1 yard line.  Score there...and then we only need to get back to the 35 or so for at least a shot to win. 

We tie the game there and who knows how LSU responds?  Maybe they feel a sense of urgency and make a mistake.  Thing is...I realize we weren't going anywhere, but any chance we have to be those corndogs and we don't, makes me feel a little sick.   

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

moses_007

As Howard Cosell used to say, "I question that call."  It wasn't the right call because a TD would have tied the ballgame.  Who kicks a field goal on fourth down from the opponent's one foot line?  Only John L. Smith does.

That call reeked of  :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:  :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

311Hog

im sorry but even if i could accept the FG on the 1 foot line, i CAN NOT accept the next time he decided to punt on 4th down and bring the entire game down to one possession.  the dude is a coward even when faced with an absolute nothing to lose scenario he still cant pull the trigger i mean GD man you arent going to be the coach in the future there arent going to be anymore games YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE call a damn play and let the players decide the outcome.

Sigh

The Kid

Quote from: ballz2thewall on November 23, 2012, 10:51:05 pm
our fullback [litton(sp?)] actually caught the ball on that series but the ref called it incomplete.

however, it didn't matter.  truth is, he ran a terrible pattern.  we were what, less that 2 yards away from the goal, and he runs a route that is NOT is the end zone!!

as it was it didn't matter that the play was called incomplete because the catch was on or behind the line of scrimmage.  if he had been a bit deeper then we could've had the play reviewed - the replay was clear that he caught the ball and had control.

if only he were in the end zone.........

I thought the same thing.

Quote from: hobhog on November 24, 2012, 01:07:07 am
Right calls? We lost the game.......A TD instead of 3 would have changed everything.

Hocker's 0-2 FG performance didn't help the cause.
Let's get the train back on the tracks.

thirrdegreetusker

This is what it comes down to.  You need two scores.  You have less than a yard to score a TD on that possession.  You have already gained all but 1 yard needed to get your first 7 points on that drive.  You score the TD here, and your defense holds up, you just need a field goal.  You don't need to get to the 1 yard line again to kick the winning field goal.  He basically traded a reasonable shot at winning for a required Miracle.  What an idiot.

Agree. After the FG, I turned to my brother and  said something like "Well, I understand why he took the points. I just hope we don't get down to the last few seconds, needing a 50-yd-TD,  instead of a 50 yd-FG, to win."  As it turned out, we got WAY closer than 50, but needed the TD at the end.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: DukeOfPork on November 24, 2012, 01:03:18 am
Agreed.  JLS is a horrible coach and I was POed at not going for it on both 4th downs...

BUT, they both ended up being the right call. 

This is just typical Hogville misdirected anger.
neither were the right call...4th and inches to tie the game and you kick the FG..what that tells our O line is "you suck" and the LSU D line "we suck you"...on the 4th and 4 from the 45, we punted and LSU went down with their new found confidence from the chicken-shite FG call by Johnelle and LSU STILL went down and kicked a FG leaving NO TIME to speak of on the clock....on top of all of that, we were 4-7, its not as though playing the game like a 'tight ass' was the best call
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

razorjacket43

If we would of made it if we had not made it. If we hadnt hired jls if if if if if you put all the if's in our favor we would have won a NC and be stuck with that goof even longer. Fact is him and his whole coaching crew doesnt have a decent set of b@^^$ between them including horton and allen. Sorry just the way it is. We can all like horton and allen but they havent really done much either. If allen's kids want to follow daddy let'em and horton hasnt been breaking down brick walls in recruiting cause if he had we would be ranking higher nationally than we do. Vandy out recruits us thats pitifull.
One day soon, I see a National Championship Trophy in our Trophy Case........................

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: smun83 on November 24, 2012, 07:05:24 am
As much as I can't stand Miles he believed in his players enough to pass on a key third down and Beckham got 50 yards out of it.  John l coached scared no way around it.

The pass was short of 1st down yardage, but Les was fortunate that his receiver was matched up with a freshman trying to man cover from beyond the sticks. One missed arm tackle later and...well. Apart from the goal line coaching numbskullery, I have a small bone to pick with TW at about the 5:30 mark. He scrambles, and lays down 4 yards short of the first down, leading to a punt from LSU territory. I know TW has been pounded this year, but for heavens sake, this was his last Razorback game. If he gets just 2 more yards, we probably go for it, and have a legit shot at a score. Instead, we end up giving up the FG.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

riccoar

BENTON PIGGEE

Not only that, you only need 1 score to tie it and go into overtime!  My most disappointing moment as a Hog fan.

Ramtough

Like HDN used to say right after we would get our ASS handed to us every week. " We were just one play away chuck " It's the way a loser thinks. You line up and run the dang ball on second and third and fourth down and tie the game.