Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema Approval Rating?

Started by WizardofhOgZ, June 16, 2017, 03:07:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

So far, this unscientific fan poll has him getting about 75% "Approval" or "Strong Approval".

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/bret-bielema-arkansas-coach-approval-rating-06-16-2017

phadedhawg

All the people who voted "approve" or "strongly approve" have an agenda or something....

Just as an anecdote, when I speak to all my friends and family back home in White County, they all approve of coach.  The only place I hear the intense disapproval is online.   

Mike Irwin

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on June 16, 2017, 03:07:42 pm
So far, this unscientific fan poll has him getting about 75% "Approval" or "Strong Approval".

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/bret-bielema-arkansas-coach-approval-rating-06-16-2017
Years ago, when polls were first being done on Hog athletics, Frank drew an 83% approval rating and Eddie Sutton was at 84%, Supposedly when Sutton's lawyers were negotiating how much of his buyout he would get after he refused to go to the Betty Ford Center for alcholism, he said in a meeting, " I'm more popular with the fans than Frank. Ya'll need to keep that in mind."

As it turned out a buyout was unnecessary because Kentucky hired Sutton without ever realizing that he had a drinking problem.

As a reference John McDonnell always polled at around 91 or 92% while Houston Nutt, after the 2006 season, polled at 58%.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: phadedhawg on June 16, 2017, 03:43:49 pm
All the people who voted "approve" or "strongly approve" have an agenda or something....

Just as an anecdote, when I speak to all my friends and family back home in White County, they all approve of coach.  The only place I hear the intense disapproval is online.
So wait....all those nice folks back in White County (and elsewhere) who APPROVE of CBB have an agenda as they would likely vote "approve" or strongly approve"  ??? I mean that's most certainly how I interpret your response by your very own words. One other thing: IF that's the case how about those who might NOT approve of Coach ??? Might they not also have some sort of "axe to grind" (i.e. agenda) ??? ::) :-X :-\ 

bphi11ips

Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 16, 2017, 03:45:43 pm
Houston Nutt, after the 2006 season, polled at 58%.

According to Rick Schaeffer it was a 5% "vocal minority".
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

LZH

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 16, 2017, 04:30:55 pm

Listen Mister!   >:(

phadedhawg

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on June 16, 2017, 04:26:48 pm
So wait....all those nice folks back in White County (and elsewhere) who APPROVE of CBB have an agenda as they would likely vote "approve" or strongly approve"  ??? I mean that's most certainly how I interpret your response by your very own words. One other thing: IF that's the case how about those who might NOT approve of Coach ??? Might they not also have some sort of "axe to grind" (i.e. agenda) ??? ::) :-X :-\ 

I'm pleased to hear you think they're nice.  I mean, there is a reason I moved away :)

AlmaHog2011

I remember slick Rick one of many times he makes a foul out of himself. I remember listening when Nutt gave the speech about don't go ride on the rides blah blah blah. Someone reported that Damian Williams left and said he didn't want to be a part of this. Rick was studering around saying we don't know that to be true..LMAO of Rick..It was 100% true Williams was gone from the Nutt mafia.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: phadedhawg on June 16, 2017, 05:09:27 pm
I'm pleased to hear you think they're nice.  I mean, there is a reason I moved away :)

Moved away? Word on the street is you were asked to leave. You were bringing the "nice" curve down.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

phadedhawg

Quote from: ChitownHawg on June 16, 2017, 05:12:39 pm
Moved away? Word on the street is you were asked to leave. You were bringing the "nice" curve down.  ;)

Bah...been found out...

hahahaha

Wildhog

Anybody know what it was this time last year?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on June 16, 2017, 06:17:37 pm
Anybody know what it was this time last year?

It was the same time it is now.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on June 16, 2017, 06:20:16 pm
It was the same time it is now.

You don't think Mizzou/VT had an effect?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on June 16, 2017, 07:07:09 pm
You don't think Mizzou/VT had an effect?

Smart ass response saying it's the same time this year as it was last year at this time.

The Hawg Marshal

Not that this poll really means anything, but CBB is the lowest rated of the 6 coaches listed. Even Butch Jones is slightly over 80%. Only 800 people have voted in this poll so it's really too small a sample of fans to really give an accurate accounting of the actual approval rating. imo 

Sivad

The "Slaps".

gchamblee

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on June 16, 2017, 07:18:48 pm
Not that this poll really means anything, but CBB is the lowest rated of the 6 coaches listed. Even Butch Jones is slightly over 80%. Only 800 people have voted in this poll so it's really too small a sample of fans to really give an accurate accounting of the actual approval rating. imo

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/274629-wins-fahr-cbj.html

The Hawg Marshal

gchamblee

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on June 16, 2017, 10:03:58 pm
https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/butch-jones-tennessee-coach-approval-rating-06-16-2017

My link was to show that even with his high recruiting rankings and approval rating, there are still hogville type posters demanding he be fired in multiple threads weekly. Every fanbase has its share of idiots and they never really have any effect on anything. What was your link  to show?

Youngsta71701

31% is his approval rating in my book. That's his SEC winning percentage. :puke:
But let me add that I haven't lost faith in what he's doing and the direction the program is heading, YET.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on June 16, 2017, 07:10:25 pm
Smart ass response saying it's the same time this year as it was last year at this time.

Things are more like they are now than they have ever been.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 17, 2017, 07:44:52 am
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been.

Same as it ever was?

TNhawgfan

For an outsiders perspective, my friends in TN all think he's a nice guy who can't recruit good enough to win in the SEC.  By the way, my friends are mostly level headed and think Butch is overrated too
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

hoglady

To me a better question would be are you satisfied with Bielema's team's performance on the field.

Bielema is a likable guy, appears to treat his players well and does a really good job of keeping his team in class with few off field issues.
There are many, many things to like about Bielema, but at some point the on field results have to catch up.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: hoglady on June 17, 2017, 10:17:37 am
To me a better question would be are you satisfied with Bielema's team's performance on the field.

Bielema is a likable guy, appears to treat his players well and does a really good job of keeping his team in class with few off field issues.
There are many, many things to like about Bielema, but at some point the on field results have to catch up.

I've said it before....it's year five.  After the Missouri and Virginia Tech games the bloom's off his rose for me. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

GuvHog

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: TNhawgfan on June 17, 2017, 10:09:11 am
For an outsiders perspective, my friends in TN all think he's a nice guy who can't recruit good enough to win in the SEC.  By the way, my friends are mostly level headed and think Butch is overrated too
I think your TN friends are spot on.  BB seems to be a good guy.  He is gregarious.  He gets some love from the national media at times.  Hard to say anything really bad about him, but when it comes down to it, I just have my doubts about whether or not he can get enough talent to Fayetteville to have a solid winner.  Petrino may not have recruited much better but he was a genius play caller and his offense made other teams' defenses take notice that when they played ARK, they better be ready for the ball going all over the place.

BB's scheme seems to be predicated on his team lining up against the opponent and trying to be more physical and run the ball down the defense's throat.  Now Dan Enos has brought a level of balance that the Hogs didnt have before and that has helped but all in all, it seems BB's philosophy needs big, strong, fast players to impose their will on the opponent and in the SEC, that is pretty darned hard to do unless you can recruit like Bama, Auburn, LSU, A$M .  I just wonder if BB can do that. Just dont think he can, but maybe he will prove me wrong.

Case in point Luke Ford decommitting so he can visit Bama and Ohio St and others.  Hogs need to not lose players like this. Bama can lose them cause they have 3 more just like them on campus.  Ohio St is similar, but ARK just cannot be losing commitments like that.  Anyway, we will see.   

ricepig

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on June 17, 2017, 02:33:05 pm
I think your TN friends are spot on.  BB seems to be a good guy.  He is gregarious.  He gets some love from the national media at times.  Hard to say anything really bad about him, but when it comes down to it, I just have my doubts about whether or not he can get enough talent to Fayetteville to have a solid winner.  Petrino may not have recruited much better but he was a genius play caller and his offense made other teams' defenses take notice that when they played ARK, they better be ready for the ball going all over the place.

BB's scheme seems to be predicated on his team lining up against the opponent and trying to be more physical and run the ball down the defense's throat.  Now Dan Enos has brought a level of balance that the Hogs didnt have before and that has helped but all in all, it seems BB's philosophy needs big, strong, fast players to impose their will on the opponent and in the SEC, that is pretty darned hard to do unless you can recruit like Bama, Auburn, LSU, A$M .  I just wonder if BB can do that. Just dont think he can, but maybe he will prove me wrong.

Case in point Luke Ford decommitting so he can visit Bama and Ohio St and others.  Hogs need to not lose players like this. Bama can lose them cause they have 3 more just like them on campus.  Ohio St is similar, but ARK just cannot be losing commitments like that.  Anyway, we will see.   

Actually, TE is the one position we could afford to lose a "commitment like that".  Now, it sucks, and I suspect he will be a good player, but TE is a position we have 3 more, as far as recruiting rankings our concerned, on our roster. We can't afford to lose a DL, OL, or LB of that stature.

Pork Twain

Quote from: TNhawgfan on June 17, 2017, 10:09:11 am
Your friends sound like they are from Tenner...  Say what you will about CBB, but he can recruit as well as or better than any coach we have had.  The negative there is that, post desegregation, no coach has ever mastered recruiting to NWA.  Is there any coach that can recruit well enough to NWA to win it all?  Who knows, but if anyone can, it looks like CBB can.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: ricepig on June 17, 2017, 02:51:01 pm
Actually, TE is the one position we could afford to lose a "commitment like that".  Now, it sucks, and I suspect he will be a good player, but TE is a position we have 3 more, as far as recruiting rankings our concerned, on our roster. We can't afford to lose a DL, OL, or LB of that stature.
yeah, as I was typing that, I thought that ARK might have been stocked at that particular position, but you see my point. 

Apparently Pork Twain thinks BB can do the job as well or better than anyone, so I hope he is right.  I really do.  I would love for Bielema to be successful at Arkansas.  Maybe he just needs another year or two.   

HognitiveDissonance

His comment was directed at those who were the most outspoken. How many was that? 5%? 2%? 10%. Whatever it was, it wasn't 50%
You would get the impression from reading the message boards there was widespread discontent with Nutt, and that wasn't the case.
Mike Irwin quotes 58% favorable rating.
The number I remember from the summer of 2006-2007(pre-season 2007) was 62%. This was supposedly from a guy named SilverTip who used to post here.
So those numbers are pretty much the same.

You have to remember this was after nine years. Bielema has been here four. Let's take a poll after his 9th year and see what the numbers are.
It says here that drawing 60% approval rating after nine full seasons is pretty darn good. Ark football is a tough job. Some fans after that much time are ready to try something else, if they don't have a major beef with you. And there are some who do have a major beef with you. So considering all that, 60% is pretty good.

I've said repeatedly CBB will be Nutt Part 2, so along those lines, if they take a poll after CBB's 9th year, I'm putting it out there right now it will be around 60%. Some fans: yea, done a pretty good job. Other fans: yea, not bad, maybe time to try someone else. We've seen all we're gonna see with this guy

Sivad

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on June 17, 2017, 03:12:14 pm

You would get the impression from reading the message boards there was widespread discontent with Nutt, and that wasn't the case.

I've said repeatedly CBB will be Nutt Part 2.

2 strikes. 1 more and you're out.

Vantage 8 dude

His comment was directed at those who were the most outspoken. How many was that? 5%? 2%? 10%. Whatever it was, it wasn't 50%
The number I remember from the summer of 2006-2007(pre-season 2007) was 62%. This was supposedly from a guy named SilverTip who used to post here.

You have to remember this was after nine years. Bielema has been here four. Let's take a poll after his 9th year and see what the numbers are.
It says here that drawing 60% approval rating after nine full seasons is pretty darn good. Ark football is a tough job. Some fans after that much time are ready to try something else, if they don't have a major beef with you. And there are some who do have a major beef with you. So considering all that, 60% is pretty good.

I've said repeatedly CBB will be Nutt Part 2, so along those lines, if they take a poll after CBB's 9th year, I'm putting it out there right now it will be around 60%. Some fans: yea, done a pretty good job. Other fans: yea, not bad, maybe time to try someone else. We've seen all we're gonna see with this guy
Oh really....as to your last claim that CBB will be Nutt Part Deux. In what way ??? Would that be disappointing as a head coach when it comes to our record or as a slime ball as both a person and HC ??? Remember with Hooter you got a "two-fer".

hoghearted

I don't think he was comparing him to Nutt as a person, but more about his prediction of his coaching success.

I have my doubts about whether be can be much better than Nutt, win percentage-wise, but he is head and shoulders above what Nutt could aspire to be as a human being.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Justifiable Hogicide

I've said repeatedly CBB will be Nutt Part 2
And once was too many times.

hogcard1964

June 18, 2017, 08:00:13 am #36 Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 09:42:52 am by hogcard1964
Quote from: phadedhawg on June 16, 2017, 03:43:49 pm

He's on target and doing exactly what is wanted.

Approve

As far as claiming he's a "better person than Nutt or Petrino", I wouldn't be too quick to judge any of them vs. each other.  It will be interesting to see the views on Bielema that are vocalized here in a year or two.

bphi11ips

June 18, 2017, 08:32:33 am #37 Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 08:46:51 am by bphi11ips

The SilverTip poll was legit, and it was 62%.  After a 10-4 season when Dmac and Jones were still on the roster. 

And there was widespread discontent about Nutt.  It had nothing to do with his record as a coach.  62% of Arkansans in 2007 didn't have a clue who Theresa Prewitt was.  The average fan thought Mustain was benched because he threw an interception.  Everyone who paid attention was discontent, shocked, embarrassed, and concerned about Mitch Mustain. 

It's down right incredible that anyone would claim there was no widespread discontent about Nutt.

GuvHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 18, 2017, 08:32:33 am
The SilverTip poll was legit, and it was 62%.  After a 10-4 season when Dmac and Jones were still on the roster. 

And there was widespread discontent about Nutt.  It had nothing to do with his record as a coach.  62% of Arkansans in 2007 didn't have a clue who Theresa Prewitt was.  The average fan thought Mustain was benched because he threw an interception.  Everyone who paid attention was discontent, shocked, embarrassed, and concerned about Mitch Mustain. 

It's down right incredible that anyone would claim there was no widespread discontent about Nutt.

I doubt anyone was shocked when Mustain was benched. For the record though, what do you believe was the reason for his benching???

bphi11ips

Quote from: GuvHog on June 18, 2017, 09:57:52 am
I doubt anyone was shocked when Mustain was benched. For the record though, what do you believe was the reason for his benching???

Is this a Geico commercial?  You must be The Caveman. 

GuvHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 18, 2017, 10:13:38 am
Is this a Geico commercial?  You must be The Caveman. 

No, I was just curious as to what you believe was the reason he was benched.

Hogwild

to put it into perspective, he is ranked 11th among his fellow SEC coaches, but ahead of Gus, Sumlin, and Butch
Quote11. Bret Bielema, Arkansas:  68.7%

The natives are restless. It's time to ask a key question: What has Bielema done at Arkansas, other than produce mediocre seasons with minor bowl berths? The Hogs' late hurl job in 2016 should make the coach sweat.
https://www.seccountry.com/sec/nick-saban-jim-mcelwain-sec-country-coach-approval-poll

Mike Irwin

I helped SilverTip set up that poll. It was scientific, done by a political polling company, not your typical TV call in or Internet click-the-button poll.

There were several questions and the poll numbers were different for each but I recall his overall approval rating being in the upper 50's.

Here's the bottom line: Coach are not like politicans. 60% is not good. Their approval numbers need to be in the 80's. The problem is most polls for athletics are not scientific. There is no way to know for sure how accurate they are because they almost never include a scientific or representive sampling of the fanbase.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: GuvHog on June 18, 2017, 10:29:40 am
No, I was just curious as to what you believe was the reason he was benched.
put that Shatty on the ID Theft of Wustaint where it belongs. CBB never had him on campus yet you bring it up on a CBB approval thread.
Why don't you reel on about HD for a few paragraphs as well you troll.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Hogwild on June 18, 2017, 10:36:48 am

to put it into perspective, he is ranked 11th among his fellow SEC coaches, but ahead of Gus, Sumlin, and Butch https://www.seccountry.com/sec/nick-saban-jim-mcelwain-sec-country-coach-approval-poll

McElwain is an awful coach.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: GuvHog on June 17, 2017, 02:22:05 pm
73.87%
Gee, thanks Guv.

But, you DO understand that the number moves dynamically, in real time . . . and that (1) it had been a full day since I posted the link to the poll, when you ciphered your number there; and (2) posting the link on a site like Hogville almost guaranteed it would go down afterwards.

For the record, I did the math too . . . and the number was just a hair over 75% (75.2) when the OP was made.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

GuvHog

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on June 18, 2017, 11:42:27 am
Gee, thanks Guv.

But, you DO understand that the number moves dynamically, in real time . . . and that (1) it had been a full day since I posted the link to the poll, when you ciphered your number there; and (2) posting the link on a site like Hogville almost guaranteed it would go down afterwards.

For the record, I did the math too . . . and the number was just a hair over 75% (75.2) when the OP was made.

Sure I understand. I was just giving an update, that's all. No offense was meant by it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Here's my highly unscientific Bielema Approval Poll based solely on my personal opinion and a grading system as follows:
A=90%+
B=80%+
C=70%+
D=60%+
F=0-59%

Restoring order and a sense of family to the program: A
Improving and Promoting the Educational Value of the Program: A
Improving the Overall National Perception of the Program: B-
Overall Recruiting Performance: C
Winning Percentage: C

Overall: C+ to B- (76% to 84%)
Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 18, 2017, 05:11:29 pm
Here's my highly unscientific Bielema Approval Poll based solely on my personal opinion and a grading system as follows:
A=90%+
B=80%+
C=70%+
D=60%+
F=0-59%

Restoring order and a sense of family to the program: A
Improving and Promoting the Educational Value of the Program: A
Improving the Overall National Perception of the Program: B-
Overall Recruiting Performance: C
Winning Percentage: C

Overall: C+ to B- (76% to 84%)

Winning % C?