Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guns at Razorback Stadium

Started by GoHogzzGo, March 22, 2017, 07:34:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 30, 2017, 07:31:09 am
Where is the time and place to conceal carry a handgun? I'm curious.

You've never been to Memphis have you.......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

thebignasty

Fellas.  Charlie Collins is an Arkansan- maybe an American if the rest of the country comes to their senses- hero.  Our boy has shown indomitable spirit in his quest to ensure second amendment rights. When a law permitting concealed carry on campus but  allowing universities to opt out was presented, and the universities indicated they would opt out, did our boy Charlie allow this dangerous position to continue? Of course not. Charlie rallied the troops,  steered the ship, and has gone to great lengths to ensure that folks can be pack in biology- just in case.  As we all know, safety in America is a simple math problem. You are, in your natural state, in danger. To he safe, you and or strangers need guns. At all times. The more guns, the safer.  Simple math. To that end, I propose that we as Arkansans are duty bound to offer ole Charlie the finest protection possible in the world. Armed Arkansans should surround him at all times. I can only imagine the pride,  warmth and comfort that could be brought to a man surrounded by armed strangers, exercising the right he stands for.  It's not like y'all are going to have football to go to.

Inhogswetrust

March 31, 2017, 11:23:45 am #452 Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 03:08:18 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: thebignasty on March 30, 2017, 04:34:56 pm
Fellas.  Charlie Collins is an Arkansan- maybe an American if the rest of the country comes to their senses- hero.  Our boy has shown indomitable spirit in his quest to ensure second amendment rights. When a law permitting concealed carry on campus but  allowing universities to opt out was presented, and the universities indicated they would opt out, did our boy Charlie allow this dangerous position to continue? Of course not. Charlie rallied the troops,  steered the ship, and has gone to great lengths to ensure that folks can be pack in biology- just in case.  As we all know, safety in America is a simple math problem. You are, in your natural state, in danger. To he safe, you and or strangers need guns. At all times. The more guns, the safer.  Simple math. To that end, I propose that we as Arkansans are duty bound to offer ole Charlie the finest protection possible in the world. Armed Arkansans should surround him at all times. I can only imagine the pride,  warmth and comfort that could be brought to a man surrounded by armed strangers, exercising the right he stands for.  It's not like y'all are going to have football to go to.

I wonder how he would feel if, while giving a political speech in front of 72,000 people and he only knew some supported him and others there had on hats and shirts supporting his opponent, everyone showed up with a gun.........
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

thebignasty

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 31, 2017, 11:23:45 am
I wonder how he would feel if, while giving a political speech in front of 72,000 people, and he only knew some supported him and others there had on hats and shirts supporting his opponent, everyone showed up with a gun.........

Safe. Protected.

Inhogswetrust

Vantage 8 dude

April 01, 2017, 08:52:29 am #455 Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 03:01:05 pm by Vantage 8 dude
While I totally believe in the right to a person owning a firearm, it would have been total lunacy to have permitted this legislation to stand. Sorry, but besides the real possibility that some fan (or whatnot) could "go off" because they were unhappy with a call, play, or whatever, the real question is WHY would you need a firearm at such an event to begin with? Seems we've been able to have games all these many years without folks being able to legally carry a gun into a sporting contest. Really stupid and ridiculous to start now.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 01, 2017, 08:52:29 am
the real question is WHY would you need a firearm at such an event to begin with?

Good question. Some people must think that our forefathers walked around 24/7 with a gun on their hip since they put in the second admendment but that is false. They owned them and did have them in their possession WHEN the situation warranted but NOT all the time. Heck not even in the so called "wild west" days did everyone do that. 

DeltaBoy

Here some facts for you to chew on . We had girls carrying at UALR back when the Infamous Campus Rapist was running around.  I had my guns with me at the on campus building I was living in.   I went hunting down on the Saline River with a guy from Tull.  I always had my 357 mag in my truck when I went out. The were guns at the Sigma Nu and other male Frat Houses on campus.  We become a full blown nanny state.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 04, 2017, 10:36:23 am
Here some facts for you to chew on . We had girls carrying at UALR back when the Infamous Campus Rapist was running around.  I had my guns with me at the on campus building I was living in.   I went hunting down on the Saline River with a guy from Tull.  I always had my 357 mag in my truck when I went out. The were guns at the Sigma Nu and other male Frat Houses on campus.  We become a full blown nanny state.
All well and good so please explain to me why we should have folks totting guns into sporting events? Especially if it could possibly have negative ramifications on our continued membership in the SEC? Just because folks have the RIGHT to own and carries arms doesn't necessarily mean they should in all situations.....geezzzz. Oh by the way, I do own several firearms so I don't want to hear some kind of crap that I'm some anti-gun person.

Inhogswetrust

So what. I liked to hunt back then and had my shotgun on campus in the dorm. I never even thought about taking it out for any other reason than to hunt.

Vantage 8 dude

Well then I suppose we should all feel very fortunate that with all the drunk frat brothers and their guns around we didn't have some fatal accidents.

jkstock04

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2017, 04:04:08 pm
You've never been to Memphis have you.......................
It was really kind of a rhetorical question. But to answer you ya I drive through a few times/year. Locked and loaded between the seat every time. Anytime I'm in a bigger city with a weird range of demographics with a lot of poverty and crime I'm definitely one to carry.

In all honesty my opinion is a venue like a college football game, where tens of thousands of people are crammed together, I'm more worried about some random radical muslims setting off a giant bomb than an upper middle class 58 year old white guy in a dri fit Hog shirt opening fire in a crowd with a handgun. To me that is 10 times more farfetched than a terrorist attack...hence I find the knee jerk knashing of teeth over this high comedy. And if a terrorist attack were to happen I don't think a handgun is gonna help me anyways. Carrying a gun to a college football game in Fayetteville is pointless to me.

There are other places in public where I think a handgun would make a law abiding person safer. Movie theaters, malls, restaurants, church's, etc. However, on a personal level I wouldn't object to law abiding citizens carrying anywhere that made them feel safer. If it makes the Thursday afternoon country club guy feel safer to stick a 38 special in his boot to a game? Wouldn't bother me any.

It has always been interesting to me with the liberal agenda wishing to unarm good people...literally law abiding citizens, where they would be unable to protect themselves against a criminal.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

bennyl08

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 04, 2017, 11:03:05 pm
It was really kind of a rhetorical question. But to answer you ya I drive through a few times/year. Locked and loaded between the seat every time. Anytime I'm in a bigger city with a weird range of demographics with a lot of poverty and crime I'm definitely one to carry.

In all honesty my opinion is a venue like a college football game, where tens of thousands of people are crammed together, I'm more worried about some random radical muslims setting off a giant bomb than an upper middle class 58 year old white guy in a dri fit Hog shirt opening fire in a crowd with a handgun. To me that is 10 times more farfetched than a terrorist attack...hence I find the knee jerk knashing of teeth over this high comedy. And if a terrorist attack were to happen I don't think a handgun is gonna help me anyways. Carrying a gun to a college football game in Fayetteville is pointless to me.

There are other places in public where I think a handgun would make a law abiding person safer. Movie theaters, malls, restaurants, church's, etc. However, on a personal level I wouldn't object to law abiding citizens carrying anywhere that made them feel safer. If it makes the Thursday afternoon country club guy feel safer to stick a 38 special in his boot to a game? Wouldn't bother me any.

It has always been interesting to me with the liberal agenda wishing to unarm good people...literally law abiding citizens, where they would be unable to protect themselves against a criminal.

Key words there are bolded. However, facts are not only not on your side there, they are vastly in the other direction.

Odds of an accidental discharge injuring somebody are the highest.
The odds of what used to be a fist fight becoming an act of gun violence are the second highest.
Odds of a mass shooting by a white male in the 20's are the next highest.
Odds or a muslim terror attack is about as low as it gets.

For comparison, it is a fact that more americans in a given year will be killed by vending machines falling on top of them than muslim terror attacks and on average about 6 total people a year are killed by vending machines. Compare that with about 90 mass shooting victims per year. Some of those may be muslim related, but <6 per year on average.

There are about 14k-19k injuries from accidental shootings in the US each year resulting in about 600 fatalities per year. Of the gun homicides in a given year, there's about 19k suicides and 12k non-suicides. About 75% of homicides are from people with an adult criminal history and about half of the remaining homicides are from minors. Hard statistics on impulsive murders don't really exist, so all we have left is a pretty wide range. However, somewhere in the hundreds and up to 1k or so.

If you are worried about a muslim terror attack, there are a lot of things you should be much more concerned about. Driving to the stadium and being worried about a muslim terror attack is like eating 10 big macs a day and worrying about whether somebody sneezing on the other side of the stadium will give you ebola.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

311Hog

bennyl08

Further, there are 320,000,000+ people in the US with at least 100,000,000 households having guns of which 250,000,000 are owned.

19,000 injuries from accidental discharge is one injury from accidental discharge for every 13,158 guns for a whole year. Further, not likely to be evenly distributed.

The point being, the most likely thing to happen is still not very likely at all. Much, much, much more likely to be injured driving to the game. However, it is much, much, much more likelihood that more injuries and deaths would occur from allowing guns, than would be prevented by having them.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

jkstock04

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 05, 2017, 01:54:45 pm
Key words there are bolded. However, facts are not only not on your side there, they are vastly in the other direction.

Odds of an accidental discharge injuring somebody are the highest.
The odds of what used to be a fist fight becoming an act of gun violence are the second highest.
Odds of a mass shooting by a white male in the 20's are the next highest.
Odds or a muslim terror attack is about as low as it gets.

For comparison, it is a fact that more americans in a given year will be killed by vending machines falling on top of them than muslim terror attacks and on average about 6 total people a year are killed by vending machines. Compare that with about 90 mass shooting victims per year. Some of those may be muslim related, but <6 per year on average.

There are about 14k-19k injuries from accidental shootings in the US each year resulting in about 600 fatalities per year. Of the gun homicides in a given year, there's about 19k suicides and 12k non-suicides. About 75% of homicides are from people with an adult criminal history and about half of the remaining homicides are from minors. Hard statistics on impulsive murders don't really exist, so all we have left is a pretty wide range. However, somewhere in the hundreds and up to 1k or so.

If you are worried about a muslim terror attack, there are a lot of things you should be much more concerned about. Driving to the stadium and being worried about a muslim terror attack is like eating 10 big macs a day and worrying about whether somebody sneezing on the other side of the stadium will give you ebola.
Thing is, it'll only take one time to make a big mark. Tens of thousands killed in one setting. I'm sure you scoffed about something like a 9/11 happening as well. No big deal right? Chances of that happening are nil...or were, til it happened. Simply put that's just not my thing.

If it's your prerogative that the demographic of regular season ticket holders would be a high danger of pulling their weapon and "accidentally" shooting someone...or that they would likely pull their weapon in the stadium and shoot someone if there was an argument...lol have at it.

No where did I state Muslim terrorists were killing people at high rate in the US. Nor do I think that. Thanks for the numbers though. I go to all the home games, do you? Obviously I'm not shaking in my boots over a mass bombing but anytime I go to an event like this (concerts as well) where that many people are crammed together it is in the back of my mind. I still go to everything I want regardless of that.

Once again, even if I were allowed to carry a weapon to the games I wouldn't. Zero point in it. I don't think I'm in danger there where I need a weapon.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

bennyl08

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 05, 2017, 05:46:58 pm
Thing is, it'll only take one time to make a big mark. Tens of thousands killed in one setting. I'm sure you scoffed about something like a 9/11 happening as well. No big deal right? Chances of that happening are nil...or were, til it happened. Simply put that's just not my thing.

Might want to check your sureness then. Something like that is not particularly difficult to do. You could easily be walking to the grocery store and have somebody on a building snipe you because they are bored. Somebody could put a bomb in their car, get stuck in rush hour traffic and kill a lot of people. Poison/destroy a town's water supply. Only about 1/100 shipping crates actually get inspected. The world is a chaotic place and there isn't nearly as much control over things as some people think/wish. Make kids wear clear/mesh backpacks, they'll just put the gun in a brown paper lunch bag.

QuoteIf it's your prerogative that the demographic of regular season ticket holders would be a high danger of pulling their weapon and "accidentally" shooting someone...or that they would likely pull their weapon in the stadium and shoot someone if there was an argument...lol have at it.

This sentence doesn't make much sense to me. Prerogative just means right/privilege. So what you are saying is that "if it is your right that [insert facts] lol have at it." Typically prerogative in this manner is used something like "it's your prerogative to think x". Also, reading your post, seems like you are making a strawman argument here, but it could be another misspeaking. When you say a "high danger" are you talking in absolute terms, or relative terms? If you think I'm saying this is a high danger in absolute terms, I'd ask that you re-read what I've wrote. If that is talking in relative terms, then it is simply a fact same as 1+1 =2.

QuoteNo where did I state Muslim terrorists were killing people at high rate in the US. Nor do I think that.

Are we playing the game of stating unrelated things? I'll play. No where did I state that Edam is a superior cheese to Gouda.

That's a pretty boring game though. Or, did you think I was anywhere claiming you said the killing rate for muslim terrorists was high? If you did, again, I'd ask that you go back through and re-read my posts. If you still don't get it, then we've got bigger problems on our hands than terrorists.

Now, what you did explicitly say was that in your opinion, a muslim terrorist attack is 10 times more likely than an middle aged upper middle class white guy opening fire on a crowd of people. We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts. It is a fact that the the muslim terrorist attack is a much less likely scenario. You have the freedom to ignore those facts and hold on to false opinions, but I'm just letting you know that the facts are opposite to your beliefs on this subject.

QuoteThanks for the numbers though. I go to all the home games, do you?

When I was a student I did. It would take probably half my paycheck to go to one game each month during fall, so no, I haven't gone to any games since I graduated.

QuoteObviously I'm not shaking in my boots over a mass bombing but anytime I go to an event like this (concerts as well) where that many people are crammed together it is in the back of my mind. I still go to everything I want regardless of that.

How consistently is stuff like that in the back of your mind? Do you think about being stabbed while walking in a big crowd seeing as the stabber has a good chance of never being caught? Do you wonder if every plane in the sky you see might be armed and about to kill you? That the employee at one of the food places wasn't thoroughly vetted and decides to poison every 7th sell? That for all the security in the world, a terrorist only needs to infect 100 or so fans with a bioweapon going into the stadium to kill a lot more people than a bomb ever would. You could easily spend the entire game thinking about scenarios that would lead to your death and still not make it very far. Sounds like a pretty morbid way to go through life.

If you aren't thinking about all the other stuff, why not? What makes you think about one event that will likely never happen and not think about more likely events? It's your prerogative to think about whatever you want, just seems weird.

QuoteOnce again, even if I were allowed to carry a weapon to the games I wouldn't. Zero point in it. I don't think I'm in danger there where I need a weapon.

Back to the game of making irrelevant statements? Your own desire to carry a gun into the stadium has nothing to do with whether you think a white person or a middle easterner is more likely to kill you.