Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guns at Razorback Stadium

Started by GoHogzzGo, March 22, 2017, 07:34:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

Quote from: LittlePigMan on March 23, 2017, 03:39:04 pm
I just wonder how all the people that are terrified of the thought of going to ball game where licensed and trained individuals might be carrying a gun go about their daily lives? There are lots of people carrying everywhere these days. How do they get food? Gas? Even get out on the highway? Must be a terrible way to live.

Drunk people and fire arms dont mix.  and what do you plan on doing with your CC at a football game with 72000 people?  you gonna shoot the bad guys? 

any "licensed and trained individuals" should know that sporting events are not a good place to carry/shoot a firearm.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

factchecker

Quote from: spe450 on March 23, 2017, 03:40:43 pm
All those really crappy places on sycamore are being re-branded now too in order to appeal to a trendier crowd that wants access to the trail.

They've about got UPTOWN completed.

I'm not sure I really like the look of it but I think the concept is cool.  Those are expensive as well.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

rhames

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on March 23, 2017, 03:43:39 pm
I said common sense prevailed earlier. Wasn't really worried about it either way though. Concealed weapons in RRS wouldn't make it any less safe than going to my local convenience store late at night.

Just based on numbers alone this statement doesn't make sense

Unless there are 70k shopping with you
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on March 23, 2017, 03:21:36 pm
Doubtful that comes into play, I imagine every school will be getting in touch with their representatives.

I hope you are right.

The House seems to love the Razorbacks:

https://twitter.com/jbasea/status/842843108236836864
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: rhames on March 23, 2017, 03:47:38 pm

Just based on numbers alone this statement doesn't make sense

Unless there are 70k shopping with you

CCW holders are statistically the MOST law abiding citizens. Drunks with shotguns in their vehicles picking up another case of Bud...not so much. 
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

ricepig

This is what the legislature should be working on, instead of concealed carry at sporting events.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/mar/23/state-senator-files-bill-chastise-ncaa-referees-wa/

PorkSoda

"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

311Hog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 23, 2017, 03:16:53 pm
It's not a matter of being afraid, it's a matter of being able to protect yourself. 

It doesn't matter anyway, they candy as&ed out.

what happened to being able to fight? seriously am i alone here in remembering that if shiet hits the fan it is a fight and everyone goes home. Not grab my glock and let 2 fly..

I think i would prefer possibly getting my face punched than being shot in the chest over some dumb sheet.

factchecker

Quote from: 311Hog on March 23, 2017, 03:59:17 pm
what happened to being able to fight? seriously am i alone here in remembering that if shiet hits the fan it is a fight and everyone goes home. Not grab my glock and let 2 fly..

I think i would prefer possibly getting my face punched than being shot in the chest over some dumb sheet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6-fskZimu4
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: redleg on March 23, 2017, 12:29:41 pm
I think every Constitutional Amendment is sacrosanct at any given moment in any given location. Then again, I value my rights over your feelings.
:razorback:

I value my rights as much as anyone. However I'm not stupid enough to believe that all rights are always sacrosanct at all times in all locations.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

311Hog

LOL Yes ! i actually typed that out in a reply earlier in this thread. So glad you found the video.

:razorback:

BigoBoys

Wait, I thought Politics was off limits?

chiti66

This is not good at all....for all the reasons already stated.  My question is what is the point?  Are we as a society so freaking "scared" of that infamous boogeyman that we need to carry a weapon to a freaking football game??!!!!  Give me a break!!

hogfansince79

So, 8 hours training to become a junior SWAT team member... what could possibly go wrong?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

theFlyingHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 23, 2017, 03:46:42 pm
Drunk people and fire arms dont mix.  and what do you plan on doing with your CC at a football game with 72000 people?  you gonna shoot the bad guys? 

any "licensed and trained individuals" should know that sporting events are not a good place to carry/shoot a firearm.
That's why I stay out of the woods opening weekend of modern gun season. Of the people I know who hunt deer, around 60% of them drink on the stand

factchecker

https://twitter.com/DannyWest1/status/845029392216666112

Quote from: theFlyingHog on March 23, 2017, 04:50:20 pm
That's why I stay out of the woods opening weekend of modern gun season. Of the people I know who hunt deer, around 60% of them drink on the stand

That is [CENSORED] terrifying.  Why would anyone drink on the stand?  Wouldn't you want to be focused?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: hogfansince79 on March 23, 2017, 04:46:03 pm
So, 8 hours training to become a junior SWAT team member... what could possibly go wrong?

Over 14.5 million CCW holders in this country now. Statistically, what has gone wrong where they are concerned? The better question should be "What has gone right?".

Sivad

Well this pretty much eliminates any talk of a "Houston Dale Nutt Day" celebration at RRS.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: factchecker on March 23, 2017, 04:52:30 pm
https://twitter.com/DannyWest1/status/845029392216666112

That is [CENSORED] terrifying.  Why would anyone drink on the stand?  Wouldn't you want to be focused?
I suppose from boredom. Or to "stay warm". If someone cracks a bottle open in my duck blind they either unload their gun or I'm leaving

factchecker

March 23, 2017, 04:57:09 pm #169 Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 05:07:11 pm by factchecker
Quote from: theFlyingHog on March 23, 2017, 04:54:27 pm
I suppose from boredom. Or to "stay warm". If someone cracks a bottle open in my duck blind they either unload their gun or I'm leaving

Good call.  Accidents happen enough without the added effects of being inebriated.  I don't think I would want anyone with even a sip of alcohol handling a gun around me.

I'm all for gun rights but we've got to regulate them at least as much as we do vehicles.  Drinking with a firearm should (if it doesn't already) carry a harsh penalty/fine.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on March 23, 2017, 04:53:05 pm
Over 14.5 million CCW holders in this country now. Statistically, what has gone wrong where they are concerned? The better question should be "What has gone right?".

I am a CCP holder. I carry sometimes. I'm not stupid enough to think hundreds if not thousands of people carrying inside a stadium or arena is a good idea when there already is a large police presence. Also that 14.5 million is not that large of a group in a country of 320 million.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 23, 2017, 05:33:46 pm
I am a CCP holder. I carry sometimes. I'm not stupid enough to think hundreds if not thousands of people carrying inside a stadium or arena is a good idea when there already is a large police presence. Also that 14.5 million is not that large of a group in a country of 320 million.

For the 3rd damn time. I did not say carrying into the stadium was, nor will ever be, a good idea. And I'm not stupid enough to ignore all the limpwrists that make wild assumptions when statistics reveal otherwise.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on March 23, 2017, 04:53:05 pm
not specifically CCW but

even an accidental discharge could cause a stampede scenario in a crowded stadium.

bennyl08

Quote from: goodguytex on March 23, 2017, 05:50:03 pm
Ummm you might want to read more. There aren't going to be guns allowed at sporting events in Arkansas. State Senate took care of it. Try to relax.

State senate put the initial motions in order for it to be taken care of, but there is still work to be done for their actions to actually become law.

Odds of there actually being a shooting in the stadium if the senate's actions don't work out is still very very small.

Odds of anybody actually needing a gun on them to protect themselves or anybody else from a situation like a mass shooting or terrorist attack or even an individual crime is a couple of orders of magnitude smaller than that.

Basically, anybody willing to drive to the game and risk those odds of death/injury should have no qualms about going to a game whether guns are allowed under the letter of the law provided before or whether no guns are allowed.

Allowing guns into the stadium increasing the risk of people being shot by hundreds to thousands of times, which is why I don't think it should happen. However, if I was still in the area and/or could actually afford to go to the games, the odds of injury would still be too low to deter me. It's the classic, going to the beach three times instead of two increases your risk of being shot by a dog swimming with a handgun in it's mouth by 50%. You could increase those odds by a million percent and the odds of being shot by a dog swimming with a handgun it its mouth should still be low enough you don't let that deter you from going to the beach.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

goodguytex

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 23, 2017, 06:21:47 pm
State senate put the initial motions in order for it to be taken care of, but there is still work to be done for their actions to actually become law.

Odds of there actually being a shooting in the stadium if the senate's actions don't work out is still very very small.

Odds of anybody actually needing a gun on them to protect themselves or anybody else from a situation like a mass shooting or terrorist attack or even an individual crime is a couple of orders of magnitude smaller than that.

Basically, anybody willing to drive to the game and risk those odds of death/injury should have no qualms about going to a game whether guns are allowed under the letter of the law provided before or whether no guns are allowed.

Allowing guns into the stadium increasing the risk of people being shot by hundreds to thousands of times, which is why I don't think it should happen. However, if I was still in the area and/or could actually afford to go to the games, the odds of injury would still be too low to deter me. It's the classic, going to the beach three times instead of two increases your risk of being shot by a dog swimming with a handgun in it's mouth by 50%. You could increase those odds by a million percent and the odds of being shot by a dog swimming with a handgun it its mouth should still be low enough you don't let that deter you from going to the beach.
Nope. Which is why I'd feel safe going to a game if guns are or aren't allowed. People carry all the time in the grocery store. I still buy groceries. My own barber open carries with a gun in a shoulder holster while he cuts hair. There's a 357 Magnum right next to my head while my hair is getting cut and I haven't been shot yet. And I don't know if he's been drinking or not.

jkstock04

Quote from: 311Hog on March 23, 2017, 12:49:49 pm
Because you do not hear gun shots and people are not being shot.

Now this leads to the logical conclusions.

1. If UofA campus is so dangerous that it warrants the "Need" for civilians to carry fire arms then this bill would make sense.  UofA campus isn't dangerous

2. If "lots of people" are already walking around campus armed so how would i know?  why do you need a bill advertising to the people who aren't already carrying guns to now seek the ability to do so?

None of this bulldarn makes any sense at all.  Been in this area for almost 15 years there is no safer place in our country and perhaps this world.  Allowing people to open carry guns on campus will not prevent some "lightening strike" type active shooter scenario infact i would say it is more likely to cause one because people are already there armed and with very little training.
So because you don't hear gun shots and people aren't being shot means that people aren't (conceal) carrying. Excellent logic.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

Quote from: goodguytex on March 23, 2017, 06:39:35 pm
Nope. Which is why I'd feel safe going to a game if guns are or aren't allowed. People carry all the time in the grocery store. I still buy groceries. My own barber open carries with a gun in a shoulder holster while he cuts hair. There's a 357 Magnum right next to my head while my hair is getting cut and I haven't been shot yet. And I don't know if he's been drinking or not.

Post a picture, we'll decide by the look of your haircut......

jkstock04

I got news for you..people conceal carry at the football games along with pretty much  everywhere else...already regardless of any laws.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

goodguytex

Quote from: ricepig on March 23, 2017, 06:43:54 pm
Post a picture, we'll decide by the look of your haircut......
I'm due one, maybe I will when I get one.

Wildhog

I know too many Hog fans to want them carrying at a game.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

majestic

Quote from: goodguytex on March 23, 2017, 06:39:35 pm
Must be a darned fine barber with 72K people waiting in line.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Stephen Greene

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

RME

March 23, 2017, 08:39:02 pm #182 Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 08:51:20 pm by RyanMallettsEgo
Quote from: Stephen Greene on March 23, 2017, 08:31:06 pm
A well regulated militia fanbase being necessary to the security of a free State fellow drunks, the right of the People fellow drunks to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

FIFY.

NRA member, hunter, and may or may not have kept a .38 in my nightstand even when I lived in harmless, low-crime Fayetteville.

On campus? Absolutely. If the carrier meets all requirements and obtains the necessary license, I'm all for it. But no point to have a firearm in a football stadium.

Stephen Greene

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 23, 2017, 08:39:02 pm
FIFY.

NRA member, hunter, and may or may not have kept a .38 in my nightstand even when I lived in harmless, low-crime Fayetteville.

But no point to have a firearm in a football stadium.

...shall not be infringed

RME

Stephen Greene

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 23, 2017, 08:49:44 pm
So, that goes for everyone, everywhere?

well let's see, if felons have paid their debt to society, they should be able to own a gun again

PorkSoda

Quote from: Stephen Greene on March 23, 2017, 08:47:56 pm
...shall not be infringed
I'm pretty sure that specific phrase applies only to congress.

Stephen Greene

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 23, 2017, 09:02:29 pm
I'm pretty sure that specific phrase applies only to congress.

no

go hogues

Sad that there are so many people who go through life so scared that they think they need to be armed at all times. Some people's world's are so small...

If we're already wasting gobs of money trying to get some national ink, I'd just as soon use it to figure out HOW TO WIN SOME DAMN FOOTBALL GAMES.

Jiminy Christmas
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

BigoBoys

Quote from: Stephen Greene on March 23, 2017, 08:59:38 pm
well let's see, if felons have paid their debt to society, they should be able to own a gun again
Society says no

RME

Quote from: Stephen Greene on March 23, 2017, 08:59:38 pm

Yeah, I'm all for violent felons (i.e. everyone) to carry a loaded firearm in a nightclub (i.e. everywhere) where tension between wannabe alpha-males flows as freely as the alcohol.

Give me a break.

Stephen Greene

Quote from: BigoBoys on March 23, 2017, 09:33:58 pm
Society says no

no it doesn't - sheep like you do, but you can't speak for society

if they've paid their debt to society, that's kind of what that means

did you hate the Morgan Freeman character in Shawshank?

BigoBoys

Quote from: Stephen Greene on March 23, 2017, 09:47:13 pm

Well that is the current rule.  If you don't like the rule then change it.

RME

Quote from: Stephen Greene on March 23, 2017, 09:47:13 pm

"Recidivism" is a term you should research rather than comparing an issue like this to a movie.

goodguytex

Quote from: majestic on March 23, 2017, 08:13:36 pm
Must be a darned fine barber with 72K people waiting in line.
Pretty sure I didn't say 72k are waiting in line for a haircut. But he is a great barber.

bennyl08

Quote from: goodguytex on March 23, 2017, 11:25:22 pm
Pretty sure I didn't say 72k are waiting in line for a haircut. But he is a great barber.

That was kind of his point. Apples and Oranges. At the barber shop, you can get at least somewhat of a read on the people in the shop. You can at least somewhat sense if there is a threat. At a stadium, it becomes a lot harder to do that.

There's a reason there weren't guns allowed at the RNC. Smaller setting, smaller group of people, easier to assess the situation, easier to address a situation the might occur. Crowded concert or football game or political convention, much harder to spot any potential threats, and if you do, harder to address those threats. Small situation, worst case scenario is a few people die. Large venue, worst case is a lot of people die.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

pigture perfect

I've been a CCH for over 9 years, staunch 2nd amendment guy and everything. I don't want to have folks carrying at ball game. You start shooting around that many folks and innocents will get hurt. I think bars would be a different critter.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

TNRazorbacker

Just need to add alcohol sales to the mix and we'll be to full retard.

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 23, 2017, 05:33:46 pm

I am as well and I totally agree. This type of reason is often sorely lacking in todays gun worship atmosphere though. Firearms are no longer tools to be respected and mastered. They've become something to wear as a political statement for many. Way too many attention seeking morons with weapons today.

goodguytex

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 24, 2017, 01:18:03 am
That was kind of his point. Apples and Oranges. At the barber shop, you can get at least somewhat of a read on the people in the shop. You can at least somewhat sense if there is a threat. At a stadium, it becomes a lot harder to do that.

There's a reason there weren't guns allowed at the RNC. Smaller setting, smaller group of people, easier to assess the situation, easier to address a situation the might occur. Crowded concert or football game or political convention, much harder to spot any potential threats, and if you do, harder to address those threats. Small situation, worst case scenario is a few people die. Large venue, worst case is a lot of people die.
Well I certainly haven't said I support firearms at sporting events. I see both sides. But I'm not sure in reality it's a good idea.