Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any Reports from the Wofford Game?

Started by PorkSoda, November 09, 2007, 10:18:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

Does anyone have any reports from tonights game?  looked to be a rather low scoring affair.  I also heard the refs were a little trigger happy with the whistle.  Was there a lot of press coverage and fast break type stuff, or was it more of a half court game?  who controlled the tempo of the game? Were Turnovers an issue? 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

babywhiz

Refs were in weird streaks, blow the whistle, blow the whistle, then let some very blatant stuff go on.

One of the best parts was watching Pel. He was so into it, pointing, hollering, congratulating, chewing, up and down the bench. It was very exciting to watch. He looks like he is so passionate. It was very refreshing, exciting to watch him.

It was kind of sloppy, but I must say, when you have refs that are so ADHD on their calls, as a player, you get scared to do anything. I can tell you there was at least the first 3 fouls on Hill that were barely fouls.

Wofford got away with elbowing Hill in the face a couple of times.

I missed the first 6 min, but according to the other thread, Wofford had momentum, and when I first got there, Wofford was runnin the show, but after that first dunk, we really had momentum.....not always that strong momentum, but you knew they were gonna be OK.

Horrible calls....called a foul on us when the dude clearly walked. He took like 3 steps, knocked the ball against his own leg, and when we went for the ball, they called the foul on us. That was a huge "Boo" from the crowd.

I'm not sure what Pel said to the ref that got him the T, but the crowd was on fire.

There were a few fast breaks, but not a lot. It was more half court, 3's, and pushing it inside.

You guys gotta go this year. It's worth it. (Just watching Pel was a blast!)

It was nice to see the fans on their feet, yelling, cheering, and enjoying themselves.

Go Hogs!!!
:razorback:
Safe is boring. Sweet insanity is the voice saying "I bet we can fit one more in there."

Kodiak

Quote from: babywhiz on November 09, 2007, 10:29:59 pm
I'm not sure what Pel said to the ref that got him the T, but the crowd was on fire.

You guys gotta go this year. It's worth it. (Just watching Pel was a blast!)

It was nice to see the fans on their feet, yelling, cheering, and enjoying themselves.

Go Hogs!!!
:razorback:

Gotta agree with that!
Due to the lack of interest, the remainder of this day has been cancelled.
K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Stupid!

Beaverfever

Quote from: PowderHawg on November 09, 2007, 10:18:03 pm
Does anyone have any reports from tonights game?  looked to be a rather low scoring affair.  I also heard the refs were a little trigger happy with the whistle.  Was there a lot of press coverage and fast break type stuff, or was it more of a half court game?  who controlled the tempo of the game? Were Turnovers an issue? 
bleh...we looked good in transition but the half court offense....ehhhhh we'll see.  Weems has got to get more involved.

PorkSoda

Thanks for the report.  I wish I could go to games, but its a long drive from Tahoe.  For now I'll have to rely reports from hogville to keep me in the loop.  I know its early in the year, but I have a feeling that pel will have this team playing some of thier best basketball when we get into SEC play.  He says all the right things, and seems to not only have a feel for the game, but a passion as well. GO HOGS!
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Breems

Yea, I went to the game.

Weems had two good dunks, one over a player. I hate blaming games on officials but they did get a little excited. Townes got us into the game with two dunks in a row and he played a pretty good game.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

tiber

Quote from: PowderHawg on November 09, 2007, 10:55:27 pm
Thanks for the report.  I wish I could go to games, but its a long drive from Tahoe.  For now I'll have to rely reports from hogville to keep me in the loop.  I know its early in the year, but I have a feeling that pel will have this team playing some of thier best basketball when we get into SEC play.  He says all the right things, and seems to not only have a feel for the game, but a passion as well. GO HOGS!

What part of Tahoe?  3 hours away and have the hyatt timeshare in incline...

PorkSoda

Quote from: tiber on November 09, 2007, 11:08:10 pm

about 2 mins from heavenly in south lake.

tiber

Quote from: PowderHawg on November 09, 2007, 11:09:59 pm
Quote from: tiber on November 09, 2007, 11:08:10 pm

about 2 mins from heavenly in south lake.

We go up 3-4 times a year from the Modesto area... we were staying in Incline when the fires hit and for the couple days after that.

razorhead94

November 09, 2007, 11:56:02 pm #9 Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 12:08:28 am by razorhead94
We looked to taking too many jumpshots early.  Wofford played zone most of the game and we really didn't get a hang of it until the second half.

Arkansas looked very tense during the first half.  They made several sloppy passes.

Beverly was ineffective first half with 0 points but played very well in the second half. (finished with 15).

Arkansas tried to speed up tempo with full court man press, but Wofford was ready for it and played it very well. 
Wofford had 15 turnovers compared to hogs 13.

We started getting separation when our guards drove to the hoop and got some penetration of the wofford zone.

The refs did play an effect on the game.  There was 7, yes 7, fouls called within the first 3 minutes of the game.  Hill had to go to the bench with two quick fouls and had to sit for the rest of the half.  Washington also got into some foul trouble.

As far as point guard play, I thought ervin did very efficient.  Didn't make many mistakes and drove to basket to open things up.  When welsh was in he did a so so job, but turned the ball over 3 times and went 0-3 from 3 point range.

Overall, the hogs shooting from the 3 point line was very bad (3-18).  They seemed to be very trigger happy the first few minutes of the game thus being down 10-2 early.
They had a lot more success going inside.  Townes was dominant and every time we got the ball inside good things happened.

Defensively the hogs looked really good.  Wofford never got very comfortable.  Ark forced them to put up some very bad shots with the shot clock winding down.  It did seem though that the ark players were running out of gas, and you could see it towards the end of the game.

As far as Pelphrey, very impressed.  He was always up and yelling and coaching.  Took him only 1 game to get a technical (something i haven't seen from our head coach in a while).  He was very fun to watch.  And he is not afraid to pull someone out of the game for making a mistake, he did that quite often tonight.

Crowd was good and vocal, but need to see more people show up.
Official attendence: 13,192
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

babywhiz

Quote from: razorhead94 on November 09, 2007, 11:56:02 pm
The very first year I attended any Razorback related events was Midnight Madness in 93.
I had never been to an event like Midnight Madness, and so we walked in at like 11:50....
Everyone was on their feet, screaming, singing, cheering.
The noise was deafening.
The place was packed (I think it was Barnhill back then?)
I had goosebumps the whole time.
Last night was the first night in a very long time that I had a glimmer of that same excitement.
At first, you could tell the apathy in the crowd, and after the dunk, you could see for the first time in many years, the crowd coming together to help cheer our Razorbacks on...
:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
Safe is boring. Sweet insanity is the voice saying "I bet we can fit one more in there."

Pignominious

We looked to taking too many jumpshots early.  Wofford played zone most of the game and we really didn't get a hang of it until the second half.

Arkansas looked very tense during the first half.  They made several sloppy passes.

Beverly was ineffective first half with 0 points but played very well in the second half. (finished with 15).

Arkansas tried to speed up tempo with full court man press, but Wofford was ready for it and played it very well. 
Wofford had 15 turnovers compared to hogs 13.

We started getting separation when our guards drove to the hoop and got some penetration of the wofford zone.

The refs did play an effect on the game.  There was 7, yes 7, fouls called within the first 3 minutes of the game.  Hill had to go to the bench with two quick fouls and had to sit for the rest of the half.  Washington also got into some foul trouble.

As far as point guard play, I thought ervin did very efficient.  Didn't make many mistakes and drove to basket to open things up.  When welsh was in he did a so so job, but turned the ball over 3 times and went 0-3 from 3 point range.

Overall, the hogs shooting from the 3 point line was very bad (3-18).  They seemed to be very trigger happy the first few minutes of the game thus being down 10-2 early.
They had a lot more success going inside.  Townes was dominant and every time we got the ball inside good things happened.

Defensively the hogs looked really good.  Wofford never got very comfortable.  Ark forced them to put up some very bad shots with the shot clock winding down.  It did seem though that the ark players were running out of gas, and you could see it towards the end of the game.

As far as Pelphrey, very impressed.  He was always up and yelling and coaching.  Took him only 1 game to get a technical (something i haven't seen from our head coach in a while).  He was very fun to watch.  And he is not afraid to pull someone out of the game for making a mistake, he did that quite often tonight.

Pretty good breakdown.  I saw most of the same things.  I would add that we got progressively better as the game wore on.  We looked tense and frustrated at the beginning but snapped out of it.  We looked very good defensively.  Rebounding was good.  I was impressed that we won the TO battle as well as rebounds. 
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

Kodiak

November 10, 2007, 07:40:01 pm #12 Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 07:41:48 pm by Kodiak

"13,000 ?? "  It never looked half full. They were vocal for a small group however. Musta counted the ticket sellers outside.
Due to the lack of interest, the remainder of this day has been cancelled.
K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Stupid!

MDH

Quote from: Kodiak on November 10, 2007, 07:40:01 pm

"13,000 ?? "  It never looked half full. They were vocal for a small group however. Musta counted the ticket sellers outside.

Yeah, it looked like 9-10 to me.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul