Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another set of power rankings out for post-spring...

Started by Al Boarland, May 07, 2017, 05:38:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

go hogues

Looks about right. A&M probably a little high though.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Buff

11th, in front of Mizzou, Vandy, and Lol Miss.  Ouch.

Poker_hog

11th is harsh.  I think we're probably somewhere between 5th-9th.

I'd do it more in tiers.

Tier 1:  Alabama
2:  LSU, Auburn, Florida
3:  Hogs, Vols, MSU, UGA, A&M
4:  OM, Mizzou, USC, Vandy, UK
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

murthage

Porker_hog,

I like your tier system much better.  It provides insight to how much parity there really is.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

bennyl08

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 07, 2017, 10:03:44 pm
Sequential ranking is for dimwits.

How would you rank the rankings?

1. tiered
2. sequential
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bphi11ips

Hogvillians are great politicians. Don't like the answer?  Change the question.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HardingHog

Meh. Miss. State at 8 with the explanation of: 21 of the players going onto the field aren't that great, but they have Nick Fitzgerald. That doesn't sound better than us, but who cares. Preseason polls don't make you play any better or worse on the field

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Al Boarland

Quote from: HardingHog on May 08, 2017, 12:41:38 am
Meh. Miss. State at 8 with the explanation of: 21 of the players going onto the field aren't that great, but they have Nick Fitzgerald. That doesn't sound better than us, but who cares. Preseason polls don't make you play any better or worse on the field
Agreed. I just look at all the ranking to see if where I think this team is lines up with the national narrative.

rljjr

All of this stuff is pure BS speculation. It's all made up. The "analysis" that goes into it (by most) is little more than their own biased wants and desires.

For instance, one guy might rank Texas at 23 in his poll with the Hogs nowhere in sight. His rationale? A renewed sense of spirit and optimism in the program. All of this is puffery of course, especially considering the horrid record Texas finished with several seasons in a row. The same guy, however, when discussing the Hogs, would say history DOES matter, and that our defense was so bad last year there's no way we win more than 2 conference games.

So which is it? Last season counts? Doesn't count? Or does it even matter?

I don't think last season has anything to do with what's upcoming. As for the guy who said we will be awful because our defense "is terrible" hasn't seen us play one game yet -- well, he can just sit back and watch. I THINK we will be better on that side of the ball by every measure. But that's what I think. I'll watch the games and then know.

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

LRRandy

Quote from: rljjr on May 08, 2017, 07:44:33 am
All of this stuff is pure BS speculation. It's all made up. The "analysis" that goes into it (by most) is little more than their own biased wants and desires.

For instance, one guy might rank Texas at 23 in his poll with the Hogs nowhere in sight. His rationale? A renewed sense of spirit and optimism in the program. All of this is puffery of course, especially considering the horrid record Texas finished with several seasons in a row. The same guy, however, when discussing the Hogs, would say history DOES matter, and that our defense was so bad last year there's no way we win more than 2 conference games.

So which is it? Last season counts? Doesn't count? Or does it even matter?

I don't think last season has anything to do with what's upcoming. As for the guy who said we will be awful because our defense "is terrible" hasn't seen us play one game yet -- well, he can just sit back and watch. I THINK we will be better on that side of the ball by every measure. But that's what I think. I'll watch the games and then know.
wasn't that Beilema's mantra heading into his first season?
I agree with you. Nobody knows how any team will actually do heading into the season. These lists are only speculation based on what players return, how the previous season played out and any intangible happenings within the program. To be listed higher the Razorbacks are simply going to have to win their way to respect.
This is fun, isn't it.

#1Fan

Quote from: LRRandy on May 08, 2017, 08:08:45 am
I agree with you. Nobody knows how any team will actually do heading into the season. These lists are only speculation based on what players return, how the previous season played out and any intangible happenings within the program. To be listed higher the Razorbacks are simply going to have to win their way to respect.

Good catch.  Here is the specific quote:

When new Arkansas coach Bret Bielema addressed the low expectations of his 2013 team at SEC Media Days, he made one thing clear. "The lower the better," he said. "I do excel in situations where people think very, very little of us. For those of you that want to, vote us lower. I mean that with all my heart. Then just sit back and watch."

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rljjr

Quote from: LRRandy on May 08, 2017, 08:08:45 am

I agree that EVERY team should win their way to respect. But Texas doesn't have to. LSU never has to. Auburn doesn't have to. Tennessee for some unexplained reason never has to. South Carolina perplexingly doesn't need to. Fortunately with the playoff system and with the committee not making their rankings until well into the season winning cures everything. The bottom line for the Hogs is going Al Davis and, "just win, baby." That's all I can ask.

Al Boarland

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 08, 2017, 08:19:31 am
Glad we are underrated

We don't really know if we're underrated. We could be properly rated. The one thing that we know is that as Hog fans we definitely have a bias towards our team. That often clouds our vision of something we are emotionally invested in. It takes work to overcome that.

Most of the guys/gals who create these rankings are just calling it as they see it. For me, I just ask myself is everyone else wrong? IMO, the ranking is a tad low, but can't really argue with the ranking. It very well could be right.

I agree there is a lack of talent on the defensive side of the ball. I don't assume we will be better on D. I know a lot of people are on the wagon, but it's definitely possible the defense still struggles and puts all the pressure on the O.

LRRandy

Quote from: rljjr on May 08, 2017, 08:51:31 am
I agree that EVERY team should win their way to respect. But Texas doesn't have to. LSU never has to. Auburn doesn't have to. Tennessee for some unexplained reason never has to. South Carolina perplexingly doesn't need to. Fortunately with the playoff system and with the committee not making their rankings until well into the season winning cures everything. The bottom line for the Hogs is going Al Davis and, "just win, baby." That's all I can ask.
the poster child for undeserved praise is Notre Dame.
This is fun, isn't it.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Poker_hog on May 07, 2017, 07:58:57 pm

I'd do it more in tiers.

I would put Georgia in the 2nd tier. Florida may take a step back this year with their losses on defense.

jkstock04

Quote from: #1Fan on May 08, 2017, 08:19:04 am

When new Arkansas coach Bret Bielema addressed the low expectations of his 2013 team at SEC Media Days, he made one thing clear. "The lower the better," he said. "I do excel in situations where people think very, very little of us. For those of you that want to, vote us lower. I mean that with all my heart. Then just sit back and watch."
The problem with this way of thinking is program perception. Why would you want the rest of the nation outside of Arkansas to assume the program is not good?

People harp on this board things like "recruits and parents read this board, when you say things like this it hurts us." I would counter social media blogs like this one ranking us in the cellar with Vandy and Mizzou hurt program perception much worse than local message board fodder. It's not a good look.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I have a love/hate relationship with preseason polls. love because it generates conversation about my favorite sport. hate because pundits purposefully push the media darlings/blue bloods to the top of every list they make, allowijng them to ignore the Arkansas of the world
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Hogwild

11th seems low, I thought the New Orleans' paper rankings seem more in line to what I was thinking.

Quote9. Arkansas

2016 record: 7-6 overall (lost 35-24 to Virginia Tech in Belk Bowl), 3-5 tied for fifth in SEC West

Starters returning: 13 (7 offense, 6 defense, 0 special teams)

Outlook: The unevenness of Arkansas' 2016 season - it never strung together two straight wins after starting the season 3-0 against non-conference opponents - was evident in its season-ending Belk Bowl loss when the Hogs blew a 24-0 halftime lead. Rising senior QB Austin Allen has all but one offensive line starter returning, but gone are the Hogs' top three receivers, who combined for 132 catches for 1,682 yards and 14 TDs. On defense, Arkansas has to find three DL starters in its 4-3 alignment as well, as replace departed senior middle linebacker Brooks Ellis, the team's leading tackler.

Schedule: Aside from playing TCU on Sept. 9 in Fayetteville, the rest of the non-conference games are easy wins placed at strategic points throughout the schedule designed to either get playing time for subs or provide a breather between SEC dates. The SEC road games for Arkansas (at South Carolina and Alabama back-to-back, then later Ole Miss and LSU) are all tough outs, especially in Tuscaloosa where Arkansas hasn't won since 2003.

The top 7 in order were Bama, UGA, Auburn, LSU, Florida, Tennessee, A&M

bphi11ips

Perception changes over time.  Remember when Frank Broyles created a stir for telling Dallas Alumni Association the Hogs were about 7th in the SEC?  Well, historically he was right.  And that was only about 10 years ago.

From 1992 through 2011, Arkansas was 78-80-2 in conference games.  Not great, but not lower tier.  They're 12-28 the last five years, ahead of only Kentucky.  If this goes on too much longer perception will be that Arkansas is a lower tier SEC football program.  Never thought I'd see that day. 

LR54

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 08, 2017, 11:34:21 am
Perception changes over time.  Remember when Frank Broyles created a stir for telling Dallas Alumni Association the Hogs were about 7th in the SEC?  Well, historically he was right.  And that was only about 10 years ago.

From 1992 through 2011, Arkansas was 78-80-2 in conference games.  Not great, but not lower tier.  They're 12-28 the last five years, ahead of only Kentucky.  If this goes on too much longer perception will be that Arkansas is a lower tier SEC football program.  Never thought I'd see that day.

I think breaking down the last 5 years into 2 segments shows the problem more clearly.

The 3 years following BPs exit - 4-20.

The last 2 years - 8-8. Which is tied for 3rd in the SEC-W.

LZH

Quote from: #1Fan on May 08, 2017, 08:19:04 am

And folks wonder why he turned me off when he got here.

IMABIELEMA

Quote from: Poker_hog on May 07, 2017, 07:58:57 pm

I'd do it more in tiers.

The SEC only has one top tier then everyone else.  Always has, always will.   

Alabama, Auburn, LSU in the west.  Florida, UGA, UT in the east.  These teams have always won the SEC.  In fact not one team outside of these teams have ever won the SEC since expansion in 1992.  In fact only a handful of times have any other team even got to Atlanta. (Arkansas, Miss State, USC, & Mizzou). 

HF#1

If we actually finish there, we'll be searching for a new coach.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

bphi11ips

Quote from: LR54 on May 09, 2017, 10:54:29 am
I think breaking down the last 5 years into 2 segments shows the problem more clearly.

The 3 years following BPs exit - 4-20.

The last 2 years - 8-8. Which is tied for 3rd in the SEC-W.

Good point.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: LZH on May 09, 2017, 11:39:07 am
Yeah, it pisses me off when a coach is positive about his team...
All Gas, No Brakes!

LRRandy

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 09, 2017, 05:32:44 pm
Yeah, it pisses me off when a coach is positive about his team...
being positive? I suppose. I would call it unsubstantiated bravado. All hat, no cattle would be another.
This is fun, isn't it.

Hogwild

Quote from: IMABIELEMA on May 09, 2017, 11:42:34 am
The SEC only has one top tier then everyone else.  Always has, always will.   

Alabama, Auburn, LSU in the west.  Florida, UGA, UT in the east.  These teams have always won the SEC.  In fact not one team outside of these teams have ever won the SEC since expansion in 1992.  In fact only a handful of times have any other team even got to Atlanta. (Arkansas, Miss State, USC, & Mizzou).

SI agrees with you, they released their post spring Top 25 today

Quote1. ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE
10. AUBURN TIGERS
11. LSU TIGERS
16. GEORGIA BULLDOGS
18. TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS
24. FLORIDA GATORS

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/05/09/post-spring-early-power-rankings-top-25

jkstock04

One thing I'll never forget about that first year is after the LSU game in his press conference he said it was better that we went ahead and lost that game and went 0-fer on the year.

We had a legit chance to win the game, i can't remember the exact circumstances of how off the top of my head...just remember it was a game we could've won. And he comes out and says it was better that we lost. I'll never forget that...unbelievable statement.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on May 10, 2017, 07:15:52 am
One thing I'll never forget about that first year is after the LSU game in his press conference he said it was better that we went ahead and lost that game and went 0-fer on the year.

We had a legit chance to win the game, i can't remember the exact circumstances of how off the top of my head...just remember it was a game we could've won. And he comes out and says it was better that we lost. I'll never forget that...unbelievable statement.

Defensive collapse in the final minute, as to the statement, I believe it was to say to the team, they had a lot of work to do off-season.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: ricepig on May 10, 2017, 07:18:36 am
Defensive collapse in the final minute, as to the statement, I believe it was to say to the team, they had a lot of work to do off-season.
Of course it was.  But people don't want to read things in context.  Or as they were intended.  Particularly if they have an agenda against the coach.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Al Boarland

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 10, 2017, 07:40:22 am
Of course it was.  But people don't want to read things in context.  Or as they were intended.  Particularly if they have an agenda against the coach.

There may be a few with an agenda, but for most it's about whether or not you think he is the guy to get the job done as it relates to their expectations for the program.  There is nothing wrong with not thinking he is the guy.  You can certainly make a case for it.  For those that think he is "building the program the right way" and success is just around the corner they focus on things that paint that picture.

LR54

Quote from: LRRandy on May 09, 2017, 05:39:59 pm
being positive? I suppose. I would call it unsubstantiated bravado. All hat, no cattle would be another.

Probably just remembering beating that #1 ranked Ohio St. team.

LZH

Agenda? I'm not the one who said those things.....Bielema did. My agenda is for us to win as many games as we can and for our coach to act like he's freekin been there before.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 10, 2017, 07:55:44 am
There may be a few with an agenda, but for most it's about whether or not you think he is the guy to get the job done as it relates to their expectations for the program.  There is nothing wrong with not thinking he is the guy.  You can certainly make a case for it.  For those that think he is "building the program the right way" and success is just around the corner they focus on things that paint that picture.

I think it is fair to say that Bielema has had an uphill battle that has been made more difficult for a variety of reasons. Most teams that we play have increased the amount of talent that they have on their teams and then too, our recruiting criteria has changed where we aren't just looking for better talent, but better character in the players that we pursue and in doing so, we narrow the number of players that we will pursue. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, just that it makes the process more difficult.

Take a look at how many players each team had drafted (good talent) at any level and then look at the number of 1st-3rd Rounders (great talent) from each team comparing the periods of 2013-2017 to 2008-2012. You can see that some teams really ramped-up their recruiting while others remained static and some, but very few, regressed. Most of the West either got better or remained static.

In particular, look at the number of 1st-3rd Rd draft choices generated by each team and that might help explain the increase in competition levels. It isn't that the SEC isn't as competitive as it used to be, it is just that competition levels in general have increased. A case of beating each other up in most instances.

Years                      2013-17      2013-17       2008-12      2008-12
Team                      All Picks       1 – 3 Rd       All Picks      1 – 3 Rd
ALA                           41               26              24              18
LSU                           35               20              30              16
FLA                           35               17              20              11
GEO                           21               8               28              10
ARK                           21                3               15               5
A&M                          18               12               13               3
AUB                           17                7               15               8
USC                           16                3               14               3
MIZ                           16                9               13                8
MSU                           13               7                9                 2
TEN                           13                7               13                6
MIS                           11                6               10                5
VAN                            8                2                8                 4
KEN                            5                 2               12                3
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

And just for comparison, here is the ACC, the next closest P-5 Conference to the SEC in terms of drafted talent. Want to talk about top heavy? Not nearly as strong across the board.

Years                2013-17       2013-17       2008-12      2008-12
Team                All Picks        1 - 3 Rd       All Picks      1 - 3 Rd
FSU                      35               19              14               5
CLE                      30                12              21               8
ND                       24                14              14               8
LVille                    17                 9               11               4
UNC                     16                 8               20              10
VT                       13                 2               20               8
BC                       11                 1                8                6
NC St                   10                 5               12               3
GTech                   10                2                13              6
Pitt                      10                 3                14              4
UVa                       7                 2                10              6
SYR                       6                 2                 8               1
Wake                     5                 1                13               3
Duke                      4                 1                 0               0
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Deep Shoat

Quote from: LZH on May 10, 2017, 08:17:36 am
Agenda? I'm not the one who said those things.....Bielema did. My agenda is for us to win as many games as we can and for our coach to act like he's freekin been there before.
Yeah, I know.  You're not an agenda guy.  But you are just as bad, in many ways.  You are a wishy-washy bandwagon jumper.  Let the Hogs start hot this season, and you'll be a CBB fan again.  Until he loses.  Or you get sloppy drunk.
All Gas, No Brakes!

jkstock04

No that's not it. He literally said it was better that we went ahead and lost the game.

Yes I did take it to mean it would put more of an emphasis to get better going into the next year....but if we have a chance to beat LSU it's always better to win in my opinion regardless how terrible the season may be going. Ending the season on a positive note is better than losing the way I see it. Coach saw it differently.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

gchamblee

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 08, 2017, 11:16:54 am
This!

I think we are under rated but this team will have to prove it on the field.  HOGS are not going to get any love in preseason polls because lately out teams have under performed.  If this power ranking is correct, there WILL be a new Boss Hog on the Hill.  I mean wow!  11 out of 14!  There's nothing positive or heading in the right direction about that!

lol

gchamblee

I didn't. Are there some who did?

LZH

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 10, 2017, 10:18:17 am
Yeah, I know.  You're not an agenda guy.  But you are just as bad, in many ways.  You are a wishy-washy bandwagon jumper.  Let the Hogs start hot this season, and you'll be a CBB fan again.  Until he loses.  Or you get sloppy drunk.

Never have been a 'fan'. Wishy washy? Could be, I don't complain much when we're winning.

Quote from: gchamblee on May 10, 2017, 01:27:17 pm
I didn't. Are there some who did?

Maybe not....I'm sure I've mentioned it a time or two.