Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Took a walk this morning....

Started by GolfNut57, May 23, 2015, 11:17:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfNut57

around the old Stonelinks course after I got off work at 6am. That early in the A.M. things were obviously quiet. It was actually kind of spooky watching the sun rise over the old driving range with yardages markers still in place, and with mid thigh high grass blowing in the light breeze while yet a certain stillness pervaded the clubhouse area. Walking through the weeds from the old putting practice green to the first tee gave me a strong sense of the lingering ghosts of the regulars who had played the course daily before leaving this earth for eternity. Strange that the course is still set up for play as far as the tee boxes go, with the painted rocks for markers, signs that remind you to repair your ball marks, etc. The only thing stopping play is the crop of long grass blowing in the wind and the fact that the greens are suffering from neglect now. I could not help the feelings of melancholy as I surveyed the lonely, empty clubhouse in the early light and reflected on how its only purpose now is to serve as an extravagant tombstone, that marks the death of Stonelinks golf course. It was truly a feeling of a heavy, saddened heart as I got in my car and drove away.

Of course the question kept going through my mind as I departed.........WHAT is NLR going to end up doing with the land? Here's hoping they leave it as it is now and finds a golf corporation that is willing to buy, do some needed renovations, and reopen it.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

cc

I would like to see it reopened.  They had really good greens the last time I played it.  Been some good courses close in the last few years.  Plantation that was near Mayflower had the potential to be really nice but was closed before it could even fill in good.  Rosswood in Pine Bluff was a great course until about three years before it closed.  Even Harbor Oaks was not very busy at all Saturday and Monday.  It would have been stacked wall to wall out there less than 10 years ago on a holiday weekend.  They have gotten rid of their pro.  Said they did not have the money to keep a full time pro.

GolfNut57

It's ridiculous that Harbor Oaks is still on the Golf Trail list of courses.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

cc

I think it is as good as Sage Meadows ( when I played it 3 years ago) and Glenwood although Glenwood is supposedly getting better.  The people that own Harbor need to turn it over to someone that knows how to run a golf course.  Harbor also has way to many numb skulls that park within 5-10 feet of the green, do not fix ball marks, rake a bunker, and just generally suck at golf and life.  I've even reminded some of them about some of these practices of golf course etiquette and they look at me like I am speaking Chinese. 

The fairways where pretty plush this weekend.  Greens were putting pretty good as well.

cc

Might add that I have played some of the courses on the RTJ Trail in Alabama.  Most all on the List do not compare to the RTJ courses with the exception of maybe Big Creek and Hot Springs CC. 

rcopela

Never been a big fan of links style golf, but for some reason I enjoyed Stonelinks, course had its own personality

PEtrader

Quote from: cc on May 26, 2015, 10:20:17 pm
Might add that I have played some of the courses on the RTJ Trail in Alabama.  Most all on the List do not compare to the RTJ courses with the exception of maybe Big Creek and Hot Springs CC.

I can see that. 
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

jfan01

The RTJ Trail is phenomenal and a great value.

GolfNut57

I have only played one course on the RTJ trail. Played Capitol Hill a couple years ago on the Senator's course. Tough links style course.